Food Layering & Better Digestion

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Sounds like Mexican Coke is off the table now. I thought caffeine increased iron storage?Any caffeinated substance?
Oh no! Just the opposite! Any caffeine substance has the same ability, but with downsides. Such as green tea, which is estrogenic, and chocolate, which is already high in iron too, as well as oxalates and histamines. Here is just one, of many places, he speaks about coffee's protection for iron danger. The 2nd to the last question speaks directly about coffee blocking iron absorption. Read the whole thing if you can. It is really good info!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I eat one serving of protein that has naturally higher fat content like sardines or full fat ground meat. It's not optimal because stomach acid secretion and digestive strength is highest in the middle of the day. It's just that insulin sensitivity is also highest at that time so I choose to eat starch for lunch. I add an avocado to the meat for weight gain and because I don't digest lots of animal fat well. It seems beneficial to my skin and hormones. I try not to add much fat to my carbs due to my insulin resistance
I am assuming you are not trying heal first, by eliminating PUFA'S from your diet and body, because sardines, avocado and starches are so from that goal.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh ***t. I used to eat a ton. My liver is such ***t right now. Thanks for heads up
So happy to have been a part of saving your liver! If you are wanting those monounsaturated fats, he endorses macadamias for those. They chock full of it and a whole cup is half the amount of an avocado,with 2 grams of PUFA. I wouldn't spend all my PUFA allowance on a cup, but I cook with them and eat 7 or 8 here or there for a skin boost!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am eating food I can digest well and that does not give me acne.
I can appreciate that, we gotta do what we gotta do. I just wasn't sure, with so many people on this forum not even knowing a thing about Ray Peat and the science, yet giving out contradictory advice on a Ray Peat forum, if you knew those foods are very high in PUFA's, just as AndrewGesell didn't know about the avocados. Please know I mean no offense.

Vins7

I am assuming you are not trying heal first, by eliminating PUFA'S from your diet and body, because sardines, avocado and starches are so from that goal.
Starches? How can starches be a problem fue to pufas if starches are mainly carbs and really low fat?
I have read this before, I would like to understand this idea.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Starches? How can starches be a problem fue to pufas if starches are mainly carbs and really low fat?
All above ground plants have PUFA's and their protective toxin to go with it, so that is a Ray Peat done deal no-no. For those who still dare to tread in those dangerous waters he says to have grains as refined a as possible and have them with A LOT of fat. He says underground vegetables and starches like potatoes are much better, void of the rancid PUFU's that the above ground vegetables (aka grains) have, having their unstable oils baking in the sun all day everyday. Though he says potatoes are a very good protein and "safer", he still says they are not and optimal food and to have them well cooked with LOTS of fats. Third option, is what he recommends, especially if you have a slow metabolism or are trying to lose weight, avoid all starches and eat sugars instead. I personally like to live a little and have an occasional, least harmful starch, but I don't have health issues and I minimize, pair well and time my little offense. Just remember eating grains is for pleasure not for good health, and truely enjoy it!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
All above ground plants have PUFA's and their protective toxin to go with it, so that is a Ray Peat done deal no-no. For those who still dare to tread in those dangerous waters he says to have grains as refined a as possible and have them with A LOT of fat. He says underground vegetables and starches like potatoes are much better, void of the rancid PUFU's that the above ground vegetables (aka grains) have, having their unstable oils baking in the sun all day everyday. Though he says potatoes are a very good protein and "safer", he still says they are not and optimal food and to have them well cooked with LOTS of fats. Third option, is what he recommends, especially if you have a slow metabolism or are trying to lose weight, avoid all starches and eat sugars instead. I personally like to live a little and have an occasional, least harmful starch, but I don't have health issues and I minimize, pair well and time my little offense. Just remember eating grains is for pleasure not for good health, and truely enjoy it!

Attachments

• 20210430_141606.jpg
    20210430_141606.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210430_141622.jpg
    20210430_141622.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 29

ursidae

I can appreciate that, we gotta do what we gotta do. I just wasn't sure, with so many people on this forum not even knowing a thing about Ray Peat and the science, yet giving out contradictory advice on a Ray Peat forum, if you knew those foods are very high in PUFA's, just as AndrewGesell didn't know about the avocados. Please know I mean no offense.
Yeah I’ve actually considered not being on this forum because I am not able to follow the Ray peat diet due to dairy allergy (even ghee), slight intolerance to coconut (oil is irritating and weird, cream kills me, shreds are ok but I doubt I’m extracting calories from that), limited tolerance for fructose and juices, bad skin, weight and digestion without some MUFA/PUFA and needing to comply with the omega 3 to 6 ratio for okay skin which means adding more pufa. But there’s interesting stuff posted here so I stay. I’ll try not to mislead people

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah I’ve actually considered not being on this forum because I am not able to follow the Ray peat diet due to dairy allergy (even ghee), slight intolerance to coconut (shreds can be ok but I doubt I’m extracting calories from that), limited tolerance for fructose and juices, bad skin and digestion without some MUFA/PUFA and needing to comply with the omega 3 to 6 ratio for okay skin which means adding more pufa. But there’s interesting stuff posted here so I stay. I’ll try not to mislead people
Ursidae don't give up. I had cystic acne until I was 35 so I get your struggle. I wasn't calling you out, I just wasn't sure you knew you are doing the Ray Peat protocol, like many others on this forum. It is a place for healing and learning so I am glad you are staying! Baby steps are what what will get you there. Even Ray Peat says doing to much too soon can be problematic. I have lots of acne knowledge learning from myself, both sons and, the latest, my son's girlfriend, who's face was so sad with extreme acne. She thought it was purely hormonal driven, until she changed a few bad habits that was perpetuating it. Now she has zero acne, not even an occasional offender! I will leave that for another time since you have so much on your plate right now, baby steps! Pick my brain anytime!
Yeah I’ve actually considered not being on this forum because I am not able to follow the Ray peat diet due to dairy allergy (even ghee), slight intolerance to coconut (oil is irritating and weird, cream kills me, shreds are ok but I doubt I’m extracting calories from that), limited tolerance for fructose and juices, bad skin, weight and digestion without some MUFA/PUFA and needing to comply with the omega 3 to 6 ratio for okay skin which means adding more pufa. But there’s interesting stuff posted here so I stay. I’ll try not to mislead people

Jennifer

With sugar being the quickest to digest, carbs next and protein the longest, has anybody found some "layerings" to be highly effective for more efficient digestion?

Yes, but only when my system was at its weakest and my gut was a mess which looking back, “proper food combining” actually contributed to. Prior to illness, I mainly consumed mixed meals, and without issue. My system was so weak at one point that I was only able to digest one type of food (ripe fruit). Eventually I was tolerating certain animal proteins again but still had to consume them away from (sweet) fruit. I’d have my fruit/juice and have to wait at least 20 minutes before having my protein source (mainly scallops and crab) and/or fat source (mainly coconut and the occasional avocado). Since supporting my thyroid and resolving the chronic SIBO and gastritis I developed as a result, I’m able to consume any combination of foods without issue, and find my digestion (and health overall) is better when consuming mixed meals, which I’m honestly happy about—I really disliked having to eat one type of food at a time and think it’s partly why I never felt satiated even though I was consuming over 3000 calories a day.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes, but only when my system was at its weakest and my gut was a mess which looking back, “proper food combining” actually contributed to. Prior to illness, I mainly consumed mixed meals, and without issue. My system was so weak at one point that I was only able to digest one type of food (ripe fruit). Eventually I was tolerating certain animal proteins again but still had to consume them away from (sweet) fruit. I’d have my fruit/juice and have to wait at least 20 minutes before having my protein source (mainly scallops and crab) and/or fat source (mainly coconut and the occasional avocado). Since supporting my thyroid and resolving the chronic SIBO and gastritis I developed as a result, I’m able to consume any combination of foods without issue, and find my digestion (and health overall) is better when consuming mixed meals, which I’m honestly happy about—I really disliked having to eat one type of food at a time and think it’s partly why I never felt satiated even though I was consuming over 3000 calories a day.
Fortunately I have never had any digestive issues, beside it being more sluggish than I prefer. Keeping meals simpler or at least strategizing has been helpful for that. I enjoy keeping my household happy with my elaborate cooking, but I have made the switch to getting all the protein in during the day, as Ray suggests. Before I did the switch, my husband often woke up in the night with stomach aches, having meat dinners at night. He has had none now with the switch. At work I now send him with some raw honey to have while his meal is heating up and he really digests his big protein meals better for it. Before knowing any better, I was having him have a small shot of milk with his lunch and it was hit or miss on the stomach aches. I was just hoping to squeeze him in some calcium, not realizing I was diluting already weak stomach acids. Its funny how the same foods can heal you or kill you, depending where you put them. I gotta say eating 3000 calories one at a time seems like a full time job!

Jennifer

Fortunately I have never had any digestive issues, beside it being more sluggish than I prefer. Keeping meals simpler or at least strategizing has been helpful for that. I enjoy keeping my household happy with my elaborate cooking, but I have made the switch to getting all the protein in during the day, as Ray suggests. Before I did the switch, my husband often woke up in the night with stomach aches, having meat dinners at night. He has had none now with the switch. At work I now send him with some raw honey to have while his meal is heating up and he really digests his big protein meals better for it. Before knowing any better, I was having him have a small shot of milk with his lunch and it was hit or miss on the stomach aches. I was just hoping to squeeze him in some calcium, not realizing I was diluting already weak stomach acids. Its funny how the same foods can heal you or kill you, depending where you put them. I gotta say eating 3000 calories one at a time seems like a full time job!

Yeah, that’s understandable given your husband’s weak stomach acid. I’m glad he no longer has stomach aches. I’ve heard Ray suggest sugared milk as a sleep aid in multiple interviews so I’m not sure I’m understanding correctly when you say you made the switch to getting all the protein in during the day, as Ray suggests. Do you mean you don’t consume any meat/seafood, cheese, milk, gelatin, eggs, potatoes or other protein rich foods in the evening and if so, may I ask what you typically consume? And yes, eating that many calories a day while having to separate my food was a full-time job, for sure!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah, that’s understandable given your husband’s weak stomach acid. I’m glad he no longer has stomach aches. I’ve heard Ray suggest sugared milk as a sleep aid in multiple interviews so I’m not sure I’m understanding correctly when you say you made the switch to getting all the protein in during the day, as Ray suggests. Do you mean you don’t consume any meat/seafood, cheese, milk, gelatin, eggs, potatoes or other protein rich foods in the evening and if so, may I ask what you typically consume? And yes, eating that many calories a day while having to separate my food was a full-time job, for sure!
Yes I got the meat into the daytime. Ray Peat says meat is terrible for sleep because it takes so long digest. It sits too long during the night, and my husband's stomach just can't take it. He has even had bouts of diverticulitis over the years, and addressing it with food layering, timing and pairing has turned it all around. Shellfish if fine in the evenings and he likes gelatin at night for really good sleep too. Eggs are left to be determined. There is so many pro's and con's about where to put them on my EGGS Day Or Night Post. Nights have been now a little starch, but with a higher protein to starch ratio via calcium/dairy, as well as some fruit, white and purple carrots and fruit vegetables like peppers, zucchini and tomatoes. Chicken wing go into the night for their gelatin skin (which i boil out the PUFA) and small amount of meat, I am an avid cook, so here are few of my recent evening meals.

Attachments

• 20210424_214516.jpg
    20210424_214516.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210415_192330.jpg
    20210415_192330.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210424_124159.jpg
    20210424_124159.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 49
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes I got the meat into the daytime. Ray Peat says meat is terrible for sleep because it takes so long digest, so sitting to long during night, and my husband's stomach just can't take it. He has even had bouts of diverticulitis over the years, addressing it with food layering, timing and pairing has turned it all around. Shellfish if fine in the evenings and he likes gelatin at night for really good sleep too. Eggs are left to be determined. There is so many pro's and con's about where to put them on my EGGS Day Or Night Post. Nights have been now a little starch, but with a higher protein ratio via calcium/dairy, as well as some shellfish, white and purple carrots, fruit, and fruit vegetables like peppers, zucchini and tomatoes. I am an avid cook, so here are few of my evening meals.

Jennifer

Thank you for clarifying, @Rinse & rePeat. :) Very interesting. My experience with protein has changed over the years. For the first time in my life, I stopped waking at night needing to pee when I switched to a low protein diet (fruitarian) but when I reintroduced meat 3 years later, my sleep was disturbed if I didn’t have enough meat throughout the day, including at dinnertime. I no longer consume meat but even now I’m finding that if I start replacing protein calories with more fruit calories, my sleep is disturbed. I haven’t noticed a difference based on when I have my eggs, but I have noticed a difference based on what the hens ate. Your meals are very creative! The goat cheese with balsamic looks similar to a meal I make—mine doesn’t include nuts or lettuce and for the fruit, I make a fig or berry (wild strawberries, black raspberries and mountain blackberries) compote, using honey in place of the sugar.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you for clarifying, @Rinse & rePeat. :) Very interesting. My experience with protein has changed over the years. For the first time in my life, I stopped waking at night needing to pee when I switched to a low protein diet (fruitarian) but when I reintroduced meat 3 years later, my sleep was disturbed if I didn’t have enough meat throughout the day, including at dinnertime. I no longer consume meat but even now I’m finding that if I start replacing protein calories with more fruit calories, my sleep is disturbed. I haven’t noticed a difference based on when I have my eggs, but I have noticed a difference based on what the hens ate. Your meals are very creative! The goat cheese with balsamic looks similar to a meal I make—mine doesn’t include nuts or lettuce and for the fruit, I make a fig or berry (wild strawberries, black raspberries and mountain blackberries) compote, using honey in place of the sugar.
Yeah meat is tricky isn't it? If I have a rare cooked flat iron steak at noon I can gobble the whole thing up and feel full of energy. When I eat well cooked meat at night I don't feel the same. I wonder if we really aren't intended to eat meat cooked. Maybe it's the carcinogens in quick cooked meat or the the histamines in longer cooked who knows. I am lucky that I have a strong bladder and never feel the need to get up at night, but my husband's night trips to the bathroom are down to one or none since "Peating". Before when he was limiting his salt he was up several times a night. You said you no longer consume meat, what about seafood?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals