Things I've Learned About Foods From Having Pet Snails

lindsay

This is more of an observation & experiment than a rule of thumb, but here goes.

A couple months ago, I wrote to RP and asked a few questions - one thing I asked was if he knew anything about snails, as I had 6 pet snails at the time (now I have A LOT more than that, as they have been reproducing like crazy and I need to release a bunch. But the littles ones are incredible). He said, it would be interesting to see what foods they like to eat, as snails are great problem solvers.

That being said - and keeping in mind they are gastropods - I have been feeding them a variety of foods and have noticed some interesting things, both about what they like to eat, as well as foods which rot and mold very quickly in a moist and fairly warm environment..... the latter part was the most striking to me, and here's why:

Foods which are "resistant" - I spray the tank daily with water and have seen foods transform like crazy (note, I use pretty much all organic produce):

-Carrots: RP is incredibly right about this; while the snails are not super into carrots per say, they are incredibly resistent to mold and can last in the tank for weeks. Not a super food, but certainly resistant to bacteria.

-Raw Sweet Potato: this was shocking to me, but raw sweet potato is almost as resistant as raw carrot and lasts for probably a week or so in the tank without molding or decomposing. AND, the snails love sweet potato - it is one of their favorite foods that I've fed them. However, they will change color if they eat too much. So please chime in, is it possible that raw sweet potato is another possible bacteria resistant food? Cooked sweet potato does not last as long - I've tried this and they will not eat the stuff. I feel like raw orange sweet potato is far less starchy than white potatoes.

-Romaine lettuce: of all the greens I've tried, romaine is pretty resistant. Granted, it gets gross after a few days, but is not super terrible and still very edible to the snails. They like it.

-Raw Kale: Similar to romaine, raw kale survives a few days in the tank without discoloring and, even when I throw it out, it's usually because the buggers have pooped all over it and not because it's moldy.

-Basil: I started throwing my wilting basil plants into the tank (only to witness them come back to life) and they have survived almost two weeks in that environment. Snails love basil. Basil seems resistant.

-Sorrel: same as above, my sorrel plant revived in the tank and did not get gross for almost a week.

-Mushrooms: I feed them raw mushrooms and they do last surprisingly well in the tank. At least 3 days. I'm not sure I would eat a lot of raw mushrooms though.....

-Cuttlefish bone: Calcium is super important to snails. They adore cuttlefish bone & calcium carbonate. Both do well in the tank, of course. Better than egg shells, which get moist and moldy after a few days in the soil.

Okay - so there's my list of regular foods because they survive very well in a dark damp and warm tank. Now, here's the shocker and worth noting. All the foods I'm listing below I have tried in the tank on numerous occasions (because I want the snails to have variety) and they get gross really fast - like we're talking a day and I am cringing as I pull them out and throw them out:

-Watermelon & other melons: day & a half max. Snails are not super into fruits, but they do like melons (although, I think they get drunk from sweet fruits too......)
-Mango: not a snail favorite and not a survivor
-Raw Zucchini: The snails adore zucchini, but like cucumber, it is molding and gross within a day or two.
-Tomatoes: short life as well. Similar to zucchini.
-Cucumbers: a snail favorite, but similar to zucchini.
-Kiwi: same as melon.
-Raw potato: while sweet potato lasts for days, raw white potato browns (oxidizes) and gets gross after a few minutes. Bottom line, I would not eat raw potato.

So, basically, these are most of the foods I have subjected to the snail tank - remember, warm and very moist environment - just like the human digestive tract.

Fruits are by far the worst. Pretty much any fruit becomes instant food for mold and slime. Granted, I haven't tried oranges because of the whole citrus and snail thing (it's on the list of unsure foods), but I would expect orange to last for a lot longer than the other fruits - based on watching them in my refrigerator.

Actual veggies fair much better in the damp environment and the snails certainly prefer vegetables to fruits. Dark leafy greens are great nutrition for them, as well as sweet potato, basil and mushrooms. And calcium.

Now, as I mentioned, snails are excellent poopers - just look at the walls of the tank after a couple of days and you can see a variety of different colors. They can eat all those foods and have the luxury to poop while moving and they poop often.

However, this whole endeavor made me wonder about foods and I came to the conclusion that most fruits seem to be fantastic food for mold and bacteria - tropical or not. Oranges are a mystery still - maybe I will just put them in a tank sometime & see.

So, if you have a super good fast digestion - you can probably eat all of the above without problem. But if your digestion is slow and/or troubled, I would seriously advise you get a fish tank and watch this happen yourself. Additionally - the fact that snail mucus gets on everything does not help the situation - our intestines contain mucus, mucus makes the foods grosser faster.

Finally, is raw sweet potato another possible option for an anti-septic veggie? And what about certain raw greens? The greens might make me nervous, except romaine - I eat that from time to time without troubles. I'm still inclined to cook or pickle most of these things.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, but I thought it might make a good discussion topic. Maybe the fruit is not problematic because it's digested faster? I just know that many fruits that aren't cooked have caused me issues in the past (oranges are the exception). I personally require some fiber in my diet to clear things out, but have always preferred vegetables (especially pickled ones) to most fruits.

I have learned A LOT from having pet snails - about providing a good environment, caring for them, etc. I have a black thumb, so of course it makes sense that I am drawn to pets that eat plants. I will end this post with a photo of one of the baby snails - I'm calling them Ziggy Stardust (this one) and the Spiders from Mars :) There are a lot of spiders.....

Attachments

• Baby Snail.jpg
    Baby Snail.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
But how to digest it if it's resistant?

Tarmander

Posts like this are why I come to this forum. Really awesome post Lindsay. I would love to hear about what happens with oranges. Are you able to cut up a small slice and just plop it in there and see?

OP
lindsay

lindsay

@Such_Saturation I personally think cooking is always the best option. But if raw carrot is beneficial for its resistant fibers and their detoxifying action, why not certain other resistant fibers?

Last edited:

FD8

Great post Lindsay, have you tried giving them algae.
I believe seaweed would be a good source of calcium for them, something they might be seeking to get a thicker shell ?

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Posts like this are why I come to this forum. Really awesome post Lindsay. I would love to hear about what happens with oranges. Are you able to cut up a small slice and just plop it in there and see?

Thanks Tarmander! Maybe I will try putting some orange in the tank. The problem is, can I find organic oranges at the store during summer? It's a possibility. I have read varying things about whether or not snails can eat orange - I will look into it.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Great post Lindsay, have you tried giving them algae.
I believe seaweed would be a good source of calcium for them, something they might be seeking to get a thicker shell ?

Thanks! I haven't tried algae yet - but it's on the list of good snail foods and I feed them fish flakes from time to time. The species I have are called cepaea nemoralis - they are brown lipped grove snails and tend to eat dead plants. They devoured the fish food in the winter, but seem to prefer vegetables and cuttlefish to it now. When the eggs hatch, the baby snails leach nutrients from their egg shells until they are ready to start climbing and looking for food. I learned this the hard way with my first clutch of snail eggs and removed them immediately after hatching and only two survived. I left the other eggs alone and ended up with 150 snails. They seem to know how to do things instinctually :)

i guess Ray is into fruits because they move quickly and don't ferment very long. I'm currently moving to mostly all milk/OJ/fruit and phasing out starch as an experiment. I do get gas from it, but I'm thinking that may be temporary. But otherwise, your finding is that fruits rot pretty fast...

I have eaten raw sweet potato and it's made me feel really good. You have to grind it pretty fine to be digestible. I wonder if I shouldn't try it again for a few days and see what happens.

@lindsay this is a GREAT post!

Jennifer

Aww...the snail is so cool looking. Thanks for sharing your experiment with us. :)

This reminds me of the kids I used to take care of. The oldest daughter caught a beautiful monarch caterpillar, and it would go through milkweed like crazy and poop a LOT of little green pellets.

Out of curiosity, did you cut up any of the produce or did you put it all in the tank whole with rinds intact? I ask because when you cut open things like fruit, you are activating their natural enzymes to break down the flesh.

Rafe

Beautiful post! I wonder what kinds of problems snails can solve. Baby snail love.

BobbyDukes

I've started eating grated raw beetroot with my carrot salad (it soaks up the apple cider vinegar that I add), so improves the texture (it's definitely better than carrot on its own). I think I'm just missing salads, to be honest, and the carrot alone is just a bit dull.

If you happen to like raw beets and fancy throwing some of them in, it would be great to hear what you find.

Thanks for the interesting thread.

I remember from my raw foodie days how delicious raw sweet potato was. I could eat a few of those each day. Very nice. But I stopped, when I came across information on it potentially being a trypsin inhibitor, in its raw state. I doubt one or two would hurt per day, though. Why go crazy lol.

thegiantess

I have nothing more to say than I heart snails. So jealous of this snail population you get to observe.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

i guess Ray is into fruits because they move quickly and don't ferment very long. I'm currently moving to mostly all milk/OJ/fruit and phasing out starch as an experiment. I do get gas from it, but I'm thinking that may be temporary. But otherwise, your finding is that fruits rot pretty fast...

I have eaten raw sweet potato and it's made me feel really good. You have to grind it pretty fine to be digestible. I wonder if I shouldn't try it again for a few days and see what happens.

@lindsay this is a GREAT post!
Thanks!!

Yes - I think RP is very pro-fruits for their digestibility, nutrients, but I think I understand why he says the fibers can be problematic. Granted, as soon as I see mold on something in my tank, I take it out immediately so it doesn't spread. But I was just surprised that fruits would get so bad so fast. Then again, if you leave them out the counter in the warmth for a few days, many things without thick skins will mold and this even in a dry environment.

I found personally that I do best with fermented veggies, carrots and oranges - sometimes cooked spaghetti squash or beets. I have really favored oranges, OJ & occasional dried fruits for the past few years because they transit quickly and don't give me much stomach pain.

Now, I will have to try sweet potato! My dog loves it - raw or cooked. I don't tolerate it well cooked, but I thought I would try making a sweet potato and carrot salad one of these days :): Thanks for the tip!

If it digests quickly... it rots quickly. What's wrong with that...

Thanks!!

Yes - I think RP is very pro-fruits for their digestibility, nutrients, but I think I understand why he says the fibers can be problematic. Granted, as soon as I see mold on something in my tank, I take it out immediately so it doesn't spread. But I was just surprised that fruits would get so bad so fast. Then again, if you leave them out the counter in the warmth for a few days, many things without thick skins will mold and this even in a dry environment.

I found personally that I do best with fermented veggies, carrots and oranges - sometimes cooked spaghetti squash or beets. I have really favored oranges, OJ & occasional dried fruits for the past few years because they transit quickly and don't give me much stomach pain.

Now, I will have to try sweet potato! My dog loves it - raw or cooked. I don't tolerate it well cooked, but I thought I would try making a sweet potato and carrot salad one of these days :) Thanks for the tip!

That is a great discovery. I think that sweet potato raw is not really digested much. I think it's a lot like carrot as you pointed out. Of course, I used to make it with walnuts and things like that that I can't eat now. But it's quite possible if you're into apples to make a delicious sweet potato apple thingy. Maybe this would not be good because of the pectin, because of the issues from the Apple, blah blah blah. Who knows.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

If it digests quickly... it rots quickly. What's wrong with that...

True. But my point was that if you have slow or difficult digestion, foods that quickly grow mold could be problematic. I digest oranges much quicker than other fruits - they do not mold the same in my refrigerator (though I need to test it in the humid tank). Citrus fruit is special, I think. Ever leave a lemon cut open out on the counter? It doesn't mold. Shrivel up, yes. Mold? Nope.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals