Lemons Satisfied Cravings For Salt

cry0genicz

I often question why I crave certain foods. I believe there is physiological significance behind the cravings we have. Certainly I should not deny my appetite... the appetite is an indicator of food requirement. Along with the appetite is a general craving for what kind of food is required at the time. I believe the body to be intelligent enough to point us in the right direction, if we have the right mental perspectives to interpret them correctly. This is becoming increasingly more difficult as there is quite an abundance of processed foods in our immediate surroundings that many here can agree that is certainly NOT beneficial to our physiology, yet satisfies us psychologically.

Last night, I had a craving which I thought salty potato chips would satisfy. Processed foods, such as potato chips, are not naturally occurring however. Our biology hasn't evolved alongside potato chips. My psyche did learn at one point in my life however that salty potato chips satisfied this particular craving, at least psychologically.

If I were a pre-civilization human in the rainforest with only the most natural of foods surrounding me and minimal tools, what would I choose? How can I address this particular craving with naturally occurring foods?

So what about the potato chip sounded appealing? Salt. Also, the crunchiness seems to be another satisfying aspect. So, I was craving salty and crunchy. But was my body really requiring salt? Psychologically it may have pleased me, but would it please my physiology? My body tends to react negatively to very salty foods these days. Yet I still crave it? What's going on?

Being on the Peat forum, I know many are a fan of salt consumption, however the current idea I am entertaining is that salt is very well not necessary and is another civilization luxury. Of course we require sodium, but there is sodium in fruits and vegetables. We also have the hormone aldosterone, which works to balance our sodium levels. If we eat low amounts of sodium in the case of a natural diet of fruits and vegetables, we retain more sodium by not sweating it out or urinating it out. Conversely, the more sodium we eat, the more we excrete through sweat and urine.

Anyway, I bought some lemons recently to make some lemonade. I haven't had them in a very long time.. I generally have never really consumed them, nor other strong acidic things like vinegar. The acidic sharpness of these lemons was very satisfying to my salt craving. I noticed there is a similarity between the sharp acidic bite of the lemon and that of sea salt. Could it be the case that my body was not asking for salt, but for acids and citrus fruits? These do have beneficial effects on our biology.

But what about the crunchiness I was seeking? What naturally occurring foods are crunchy? Leafy green vegetables such as romaine lettuce.

So I thought I'd make a salad with lots of romaine, steamed kale, a small bit of avocado, and lemon juice and it destroyed my cravings for potato chips. I got the crunch, and I got the naturally occurring sharpness from the citrus... I am willing to believe it is more likely that my body was asking for citrus, not salt, and I may have been misled for many years.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals