Is Anything But RP's Ideal Diet Sustainable?

tara

Westside PUFAs said:
post 107007 I know where she is coming from because I've been through that as well! Such as my Peat low fat milk quotes and getting attacked by people who love their whole milk!

I like it that you quote Peat too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

michael94

Westside PUFAs said:
post 106990

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/B-50.pdf
Emstar1892 said:
post 106954 first, the excess carbohydrate turns quickly to fat.

Peat never said that. His concern is digestion and in the case of non-potato starch, mineral balance, i.e., white rice is safe but provides little minerals and nutrition but is basically the starch version of sugar cane. He also said that sugars that aren't quickly digested can also be a problem. I can show you 100 starch eaters that aren't fat and don't do crazy exercise so to say that "the excess carbohydrate turns quickly to fat" isn't true.

That's right. De novo lipogenesis almost never happens in humans unless in absurd amount of carbohydrates and/or getting 90%+ of your cals from carbs. Your body likes to use the glucose for energy while storying dietary fat which is why high amounts of both tend to have poor results, mostly because it becomes pretty easy to overeat your calorie requirements without proper nutrients. Depends on the person though and activity level as you mentioned.

michael94

lexis said:
post 106973
One of the things that happens with low carb is protein catabolism. This will raise stress hormones.

Yes and no. Lower carb raises your protein requirements so if you are not getting enough protein, yea. I think the main issue with lower carb is thyroid function and some other bodily systems. That said, 80 would definitely be too low at 1200 cals.

tara

welshwing said:
post 106979
to be clear, stress is the only side effect of not getting enough calories? not getting too few vitamins and minerals?

also I exercise, I guess I just take out what I burn in calories. If I am releasing stress hormone, I honestly don't feel it.

To be clear, excess stress is probably the main thing that kills people. :) Not getting enough vitamins, minerals, protein can also be stressful, and can happen with undereating.

Stress hormones can sometimes make people feel good, by providing the energy to meet short-term demands.

Giraffe

Westside PUFAs said:
post 107013
YuraCZ said:
post 106959 This is true only if you eat JUST starch. Who eats only rice? Who eats only pasta? Who eats only potatoes? If you add protein, fiber and especially fat= balanced meal. Glycemic index = absorption to the bloodstream much slower, much slower then sucrose (glucose and fructose) alone.. People like you don't have even basic knowledge about food and nutrition. Just posting Peat quotes and thinking, that I know something.. It's sad.

Text in red, flag for forum rule breaking: Putting someone down. Giraffe, here's your first chance for a lashing! :D
I don't feel like lashing people, and I think that an internet forum which is read by many people is not the right place for personal disputes.

Westside PUFAs said:
post 107013Yura, you actually do break forum rule 1. a. "Be polite and respectful."
You are right: The forum rule "be polite and respectful" has been broken. YuraCZ has done so on numerous occasions in the past, and us moderators have stepped in here. To call someone stupid or dumb is not acceptable, neither in this forum nor anywhere else.

The forum exists to discuss Ray Peat's ideas, to learn from each other and to help each other. Users here shall not fear harassment.
Please report posts to the moderators by using the button with the exclamation mark if you want us to intervene.

Giraffe

Westside PUFAs said:
post 107013
YuraCZ said:
post 106959 This is true only if you eat JUST starch. Who eats only rice? Who eats only pasta? Who eats only potatoes? If you add protein, fiber and especially fat= balanced meal. Glycemic index = absorption to the bloodstream much slower, much slower then sucrose (glucose and fructose) alone.. People like you don't have even basic knowledge about food and nutrition. Just posting Peat quotes and thinking, that I know something.. It's sad.

Text in red, flag for forum rule breaking: Putting someone down. Giraffe, here's your first chance for a lashing! :D
I don't feel like lashing people, and I think that an internet forum which is read by many people is not the right place for personal disputes.

Westside PUFAs said:
post 107013Yura, you actually do break forum rule 1. a. "Be polite and respectful."
You are right: The forum rule "be polite and respectful" has been broken. YuraCZ has done so on numerous occasions in the past, and us moderators have stepped in here. To call someone stupid or dumb is not acceptable, neither in this forum nor anywhere else.

The forum exists to discuss Ray Peat's ideas, to learn from each other and to help each other. Users here shall not fear harassment.
Please report posts to the moderators by using the button with the exclamation mark if you want us to intervene.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:1 :yeahthat

Emstar1892

Some of your replies to my comments have been really kind, thank you everyone. Sorry for snapping.

As some of you have said yourselves, a discussion of ideas is the best way to make progress. I like reading your discussions, and just got a bit touchy when I got shut down trying to join in :)

DaveFoster

Estrogen and cortisol are the "death hormones." A diet and internal environment that suppresses these and ensures adequate glucose supply to the cell in the presence of active thyroid hormone will delay senescence.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals