Coming from low-carb, with a whole host of issues!

jaguar43

Ray Peat has stated that birth control can cause insulin resistance. I think he stated that progesterone can help with it. It should also help with the PCOS symptoms. He recommendation is Progest-E made in Eugene Oregon.

I agree with the other post, that you should try to rearrange your diet with less starch.

Adding coffee to your diet should be helpful.

OP
E

Emstar1892

Thanks guys. And Jag2594, I understand your view but for me it's either low carb or starch-based, so I'll always choose the latter. I get so bored and unsatisfied and cold with fruit for carbs. To be honest, I ate fruit about 5 times growing up, and only ever ate it in abundance during a high-carb experiment last year, and even then the fruits didn't sit well with me. Starch I could eat all day though, I love it!

whit

She just told me I must be "really healthy" and doing loads of exercise. My blood pressure was crazy low too (I see stars every time i stand up.) I explained that I haven't been able to do exercise (as in, literally anything) in months, and she said it must just be because i'm young. Sigh. Thanks for your words :)

Emstar,
Just read your post. I'm sorry your going through this. My mother went through a very similar issue I wonder if what she did could help. Thyroid in my view is involved. Its a shame you can't handle milk yet. Have you checked your minerals iodine potassium magnesium and calcium? All are precious resources. Oj and good salt can be a great addition to most diets. check out some of Peats work. He's got some great you tube interviews that can be a big help.

Lightbringer

This is the state of things - I've found an endocrinologist near me who happily presrcribes Armour and tests for things like cortisol, DHEA, etc, however, I live in central London and a private endocrinologist like this is going to cost £380 for an initial consultation, then £200 for lab tests, then £200 for each follow up (regardless of whether he even prescribes me anything.) I can't help but think that with all that money down the drain, I'd rather than be sick than 'well'!!!
I think Tara's detailed post above is very useful to get started. If you need guidance, instead of an endo who is going to charge the earth, you could consider one of the Peat practitioners who could walk you through this. It'll be cheaper plus if you want, you can get NDT such as WP thyroid yourself.

Lightbringer

Starch I could eat all day though, I love it!
I just remembered that one thing that really helped me recover from a low carb diet was eating boiled potatoes (yukon gold is yummy) mashed up with lots of salt and butter. I ate the same darn thing every few hours and it was quite magical!

whit

Agreed, mashed potatoes are magic. Peat says they're higher in protein than eggs.

tara

Agreed, mashed potatoes are magic. Peat says they're higher in protein than eggs.
I agree that potatoes are great.
But where did you see Peat say they had higher protein than eggs? I thought an egg was about 15% protein, and a potato about 4% and even if you count the extra keto-acids, you're not getting anywhere near as high as egg? He did say potatoes have high quality protein.

whit

I agree that potatoes are great.
But where did you see Peat say they had higher protein than eggs? I thought an egg was about 15% protein, and a potato about 4% and even if you count the extra keto-acids, you're not getting anywhere near as high as egg? He did say potatoes have high quality protein.
Peat has said it a few times. I believe the interview "food quality" with John Barkhausen was the one.

tara

Peat has said it a few times. I believe the interview "food quality" with John Barkhausen was the one.
Quoted from Peat elsewhere in the forum: "Two pounds of well-cooked mashed potato has the protein value similar to a liter of milk, about 33 grams of protein. A person would be able to live for a long time on two or three liters of either milk or 4-6 pounds of potatoes per day. The milk drinker would eventually need to supplement iron, the potato eaters would need to supplement vitamin A, possibly B12, but both of them are nearly perfect foods."
Two pounds of eggs would be about 20 eggs, ~120 g protein, ~ 4x as much as in the potatoes?

whit

Thank you for the correction on that.
I did find the interview with Peat it was "Health and diet 1" with Patrick Timpone. Timeline 20:20. He said "the protein quality was a higher than that of an egg...it doesn't show up in the analysis as protein but when you eat it it shows up as better than egg yolk." You were right. Well moderated.
I'll have to tell my hens they've still got it. thanks

tara

Yeah, your beautiful hens have still got it, and the spuds have still got high quality protein, if not so dense. :)

whit

Yea small and spread out apparently.
So what happens when you deep fry them in coconut oil?

tara

So what happens when you deep fry them in coconut oil?
They taste really good. :)
As far as I know, still the same amount of protein but more fat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals