Saturated Fat And "Sludge Blood"

julcreutz

First of all, I'm feeling a lot better after about 9 months of high-fat carnivore diet with a Higher Carb Lower Fat Diet.

My only source of carbs rn are white potatoes, mainly because they don't give me issues like some other carb sources and I digest them amazingly well. I will introduce other sources in the next few weeks/months.

One complaint I always had on high-fat zerocarb is the feeling of "sludge blood" after eating such high amounts of fat.
I tried it yesterday and today too: I had two fatty lamb chops with my meal. I usually have just a small amount of fats with my meal (like 15-30g) but with the lamb chops I definitely had a lot more (I'd say at least 70g+).

I can feel how much harder my heart has to pump my blood. And I don't think that's a good sign.
My skin is also more oily today, which is definitely due to the higher fat intake yesterday.

Has anyone noticed similiar effects?
I'm just so grateful to not have that heavy sludge blood feeling anymore!

yerrag

I can feel how much harder my heart has to pump my blood.

I'm very interested in knowing how you get the feeling of the heart pumping blood much harder. Could you talk more about it?

OP
J

julcreutz

Sure! My chest feels really heavy and I can sense it when I hold my hand over my chest. I always experienced that on carnivore when eating large amounts of food at once and I still do it now when I consume a lot of fat at once.

Markus

I've had the same experience with an animal-based high-fat diet. Within minutes of eating a high-fat meal, I can feel my chest tighten and afterwards I feel very heavy and burdened in my body - especially if I do some rigorous activity.

Samya

I'm not sure if this is related but when I was eating a lot of butter fat I remember when checking my BG/TG etc that my blood was very noticeably milky/lactescent, rather than watery. Deniser Minger talked about this in one of her 'In defense of low-fat' talks, if I remember correctly in regards to a study where people drank straight cream and then had their blood checked and had a negative impact on platelets.

yerrag

Sure! My chest feels really heavy and I can sense it when I hold my hand over my chest. I always experienced that on carnivore when eating large amounts of food at once and I still do it now when I consume a lot of fat at once.
Thanks. Is that the same thing as heartburn?

lampofred

It could be that it's due to high protein rather than high fat. Protein drops blood sugar, so the combo of high protein low carb will plummet blood sugar and then raise adrenaline & cortisol to restore blood sugar, which make your heart pump hard.

It happens to me if I eat too many eggs without enough carbs.

bk_

Look into steatosis of the heart. Although saturated fats protect against lipid peroxidation like all good things there is a limit. Many animal studies have shown fat deposits build up in the heart when calories are in excess with a diet high in saturated fat intake.

lvysaur

Nobody on earth is adapted to eating huge amounts of animal protein in one sitting. Except maybe the Inuit, and certain Siberian tribes. You'll notice they have the largest livers/torsos on earth (this is a genetic trait).

tara

Feeling of hard beating heart might have other mechanisms (I'm not weight in on the 'sludge' hypothesis). Eg might slightly push towards relative hyperventilation (more CO2 from oxidising carbs than fats, right?). Or slight difference in pH, or workload for the digestive system

Frankdee20

There’s no way a high fat diet can possibly be good for the heart

Jessie

So are you saying you had 70+ grams of fat in one sitting? That's a hella lot by any metric. I find for me personally, it's good to not consume more than 20 grams of fat per meal, or it'll start interfering with my ability to burn glucose.

Try leaner cuts of meat. Lean cuts + air fryer requires no additional added fats. You could try other methods too, like reverse sear, non-stick pans, or something.

Here lately I've grown fond of ground chicken meat, it's 99% fat free and has like 4 grams of total fat per pound. I also get some 93% lean ground beef that's good, 36 grams of total fat per pound. I get about 3 servings per pound of meat.

Frankdee20

There’s just no reason to consume ridiculous amounts of fat per sitting .... I don’t like to go past 5-10 grams for any one item

Jessie

There’s just no reason to consume ridiculous amounts of fat per sitting .... I don’t like to go past 5-10 grams for any one item
I agree, the less fat you consume per sitting the more inclined you are to stay in the warm glucose burning state.

I remember when I used to do the butter coffee thing back in 2013. I sometimes put like a few tablespoons of butter in it. :rofl After the first couple of times that it made me feel AMAZING, it quickly made me feel sooooo incredibly heavy in my mind and body. It was ridiculous, I can't believe it took me a while to let go of that. Felt like I was made out of cement lol.

I remember the day my low carbing stopped; I was a few km from my home with a bike and I just started to feel like death is standing next to me, felt so grey, cold, life sucked out of me. Everything in my being was screaming CARBS CARBS CARBS. I cycled about 7km back to home, through a pitch black road that a lot of snakes move across, fearing I'm gonna run over one 'cause it was so dark I could barely see the road. The whole time I thought about what I could buy: ice cream, cookies, candy etc. When I made it home I made three different visits to the grocery shop that night, bought ice cream, donuts, candy, soda pop, all sorts of treats, probably ate like 10 000 calories that night. And I felt so gooooood. Watched some crappy movie and felt happy like a child, felt a light and calmness inside that I had been missing. Woke up with a boner next day (which wasn't really happening much those days). I knew I was on the right path back to life.

Wound up finding this girl with a website ButterBeliever.com where I first heard of Matt Stone and Danny Roddy. Good times.

gaze

it's john mcdougall so take it for what it's worth, but i wish there were more studies/videos of this mechanism after different foods. it's unclear from the video what type of foods exactly caused it.

jondoeuk

it's john mcdougall so take it for what it's worth, but i wish there were more studies/videos of this mechanism after different foods. it's unclear from the video what type of foods exactly caused it.

Could be this

gaze

Could be this

interesting. I know it has a vegan bias, but I think it makes sense. Any fat, either butter or sunflower oil (which was also mentioned in the video) seems to be able to cause the sludge blood. any amount of fat which decreases glucose oxidation and increases FFA seems to be a major problem. Looks like keeping fats at 10-20g per meal max as others have mentioned is ideal to not get the sludge blood. Ice cream should be avoided as well unless glucose oxidation is very strong

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals