Challenges in transitioning from low carb -> moderate/high carb?

dishealthful

Forum Supporter
For about 2-3 years I consumed 50-100 carbs a day (which I believe may have caused gut problems and some general "autoimmune" symptoms), but for the past few months I've started consuming 200+ per day (mostly in the form of simple carbs, but with some whole grains as well)

My issues are:
- After a few weeks of consuming more honey/OJ/fruit, my teeth regularly ache and my gums are receding a bit. This isn't an issue when I consume starches. Moreover, Eating low-carb (regardless of overall health impact) has results in perfect oral health in my experience. This is hard to give up.
- Probably worse than the dental issues is that I have a tendency toward pre-diabetes, and simple carbs (potatoes, honey, OJ) spike my blood sugar. My recent HbA1c was in the pre diabetic range, and my post-meal blood sugar often jumps somewhere between 140-160 mg/dL.

Some notes:
- Neither of these things is a problem if I'm consuming complex carbs (e.g. quinoa, buckwheat, barley, farro)
- I would imagine that the low-carb diet messed with my insulin response/sensitivity, so maybe my blood sugar response to simple carbs will get better with time?
- I do wonder if there's a nutritional deficiency at play. Any suggestions here?

Thanks for reading

Hugh Johnson

Ray Peat said:
"The supplements that most often help to correct diabetes-like conditions are niacinamide, thiamine, thyroid, and progesterone or pregnenolone. Vitamins D and K are clearly protective against developing diabetes, and their effects on many regulatory processes suggest that they would also help to correct existing hyperglycemia. Drinking coffee seems to be very protective against developing diabetes. Its niacin and magnesium are clearly important, but it is also a rich source of antioxidants, and it helps to maintain
normal thyroid and progesterone production. Chocolate is probably protective too, and it is a good source of magnesium and antioxidants."

Ray Peat said:
"Aspirin has a very broad spectrum of anti-inflammatory actions, and is increasingly being recommended for preventing complications of diabetes. One of the consequences of inflammation is hyperglycemia, and aspirin helps to correct that (Yuan, et aI., 2001), while protecting proteins against oxidative damage (Jafarnejad, et ai, 2001). If Dr Budd's thinking (and results) had been more widely accepted when his publications appeared, thinking about "diabetes" might have led to earlier investigation of the syndromes of stress and tissue wasting, with insulin being identified as just one of many regulatory substances, and a large amount of useless and harmful activity treating hyperglycemia as the enemy, rather than part of an adaptive reaction, might have been avoided."

PopSocket

You can rinse your teeth with water after consuming carbs especially OJ. Choose good OJ from ripe oranges, store bought OJ is like industrial acid imo and causes issues. Honey is also not the best for teeth as it lingers there for long time.

When i started peating last fall/winter, a tiny pinch of baking soda protected my teeth from the acid in fruit juice.
I cannot handle baking soda in the summer, however.

Many people have problems with glucose tolerance after low-carb dieting. When you lower carbs your body becomes more insulin resistant as an adaptive measure to spare glucose for tissues that need it. You need to increase insulin sensitivity, which you can do by lowering FFA and FAO. Aspirin and niacinamide are synergistic for this. If you ate a lot of PUFA while being low-carb that will complicate things, but coconut oil can help. Thiamine is also very good for increasing glucose oxidation.

Also, track your calories. Low-carb diets lower metabolism and it takes some time for it to bounce back once you adopt Peat-based ideas.. Weight gain will impair your insulin sensitivity.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals