Skin And Libido Issues In Transitioning From HF+LC+IF To A Peaty Diet

PeatPeeve

For about a year, I have been doing intermittent fasting at around an 18/6 ratio of fasting:eating. When eating, I would eat high-fat, high protein and low carb, and looking back, I probably didn't eat an appropriate amount of calories. I generally felt good, however, but my temperatures were always low, and I was extremely sensitive to the cold. As I have gathered, this is usually a symptom of hypothyroidism. I never experienced any other issues which I think could relate to low thyroid though - I have always had a very high metabolism, and putting on weight has always been a struggle.

Over the past 2 months, however, after discovering RP and this forum in particular, I have been convinced that the benefits I experienced with IF were probably due to the ensuing calorie restriction and therefore less endotoxicity. I am also fairly convinced that I need to increase my carb intake and do away with my fear of milk.

Over the past month, I have changed my diet accordingly. I eat Carb:Protein:Fat in approximately a ratio of 60:15:25.
However, diet is not exactly ideal. I try to increase my carb intake, but I have a busy schedule and live at home, and usually eat whatever we have in the house. I try to eat as peaty as I can though. My daily diet usually looks something like this:

Breakfast: 1 bowl of oats+milk+1tbsp sugar and cinnamon
Lunch: Bread with cheese, paté and/or jam
Dinner: Usually either:
  • Pasta bolognese
  • Cod in cream with rice
  • Cod with potatoes
Additionally, I drink around 5 cups of coffee with milk and ~ 2 L OJ throughout the day.

Diet is not exactly ideal. I should probably eat more fruits and greens, and liver. I just can't stomach liver... So I'm eating liver paté in the hopes that some benefits transfer?

*edit* I also take the following supplements:
500mg Niacinamide
1000mg Calcium+ 400mg Magnesium+ 15mgzinc
500mg Thiamin

While I have experienced better temperatures and better sleep on this new, intuitive eating (I suspect due to replenished glycogen stores before bed), certain areas of my health have gone downhill:

Skin is duller. I have bags under my eyes, my face is always 'puffy', a bit moon-face-like. I used to notice that this would happen whenever I returned home for Christmas and overindulged in sweets. Could it be my increased sugar intake?

Libido has somehow gone down also. It's very rare that I crave sex, and when the opportunity arises, my erection is not really as hard as it used to be.

Last edited:

ExCarniv

For about a year, I have been doing intermittent fasting at around an 18/6 ratio of fasting:eating. When eating, I would eat high-fat, high protein and low carb, and looking back, I probably didn't eat an appropriate amount of calories. I generally felt good, however, but my temperatures were always low, and I was extremely sensitive to the cold. As I have gathered, this is usually a symptom of hypothyroidism. I never experienced any other issues which I think could relate to low thyroid though - I have always had a very high metabolism, and putting on weight has always been a struggle.

Over the past 2 months, however, after discovering RP and this forum in particular, I have been convinced that the benefits I experienced with IF were probably due to the ensuing calorie restriction and therefore less endotoxicity. I am also fairly convinced that I need to increase my carb intake and do away with my fear of milk.

Over the past month, I have changed my diet accordingly. I eat Carb:Protein:Fat in approximately a ratio of 60:15:25.
However, diet is not exactly ideal. I try to increase my carb intake, but I have a busy schedule and live at home, and usually eat whatever we have in the house. I try to eat as peaty as I can though. My daily diet usually looks something like this:

Breakfast: 1 bowl of oats+milk+1tbsp sugar and cinnamon
Lunch: Bread with cheese, paté and/or jam
Dinner: Usually either:
  • Pasta bolognese
  • Cod in cream with rice
  • Cod with potatoes
Additionally, I drink around 5 cups of coffee with milk and ~ 2 L OJ throughout the day.

Diet is not exactly ideal. I should probably eat more fruits and greens, and liver. I just can't stomach liver... So I'm eating liver paté in the hopes that some benefits transfer?

*edit* I also take the following supplements:
500mg Niacinamide
1000mg Calcium+ 400mg Magnesium+ 15mgzinc
500mg Thiamin

While I have experienced better temperatures and better sleep on this new, intuitive eating (I suspect due to replenished glycogen stores before bed), certain areas of my health have gone downhill:

Skin is duller. I have bags under my eyes, my face is always 'puffy', a bit moon-face-like. I used to notice that this would happen whenever I returned home for Christmas and overindulged in sweets. Could it be my increased sugar intake?

Libido has somehow gone down also. It's very rare that I crave sex, and when the opportunity arises, my erection is not really as hard as it used to be.

I'd drop gluten and oats, both could be detrimental if you want to heal.

OP
P

PeatPeeve

I'd drop gluten and oats, both could be detrimental if you want to heal.
It never seemed to be a problem before. Do you talk about oats because of the trace amounts of gluten sometimes found, or for some other reason?

ExCarniv

It never seemed to be a problem before. Do you talk about oats because of the trace amounts of gluten sometimes found, or for some other reason?

Oats high in phytic acid and antinutrients.

I used to eat tons of bread because seemed to me that didn't caused troubles, but when I dropped gluten and PUFAs, lots of allergies and common problems went away.

OP
P

PeatPeeve

Oats high in phytic acid and antinutrients.

I used to eat tons of bread because seemed to me that didn't caused troubles, but when I dropped gluten and PUFAs, lots of allergies and common problems went away.
I see. I didn't know of the phytic acid and antinutrients. What are these antinutrients?

Am I just misinformed, or is there evidence that gluten negatively affects people without Geliac's? I don't think that I have ever reacted negatively to Gluten. Either that, or I have never thought about it - where I'm from, gluten is in such a large portion of our staple diet.

GreekDemiGod

@ExCarniv I've eaten a lot of oats (flakes) in the past 2 years as part of a classic bodybuilding diet. Can't say how they affected me, they seemed to give me a decent slow energy release, but I was permanently bloated on them.
They're also probably bad for dental health.
Now, thanks to Peating, I get to enjoy the benefits of high-carb without severe bloating, thank god.

Vins7

@ExCarniv I've eaten a lot of oats (flakes) in the past 2 years as part of a classic bodybuilding diet. Can't say how they affected me, they seemed to give me a decent slow energy release, but I was permanently bloated on them.
They're also probably bad for dental health.
Now, thanks to Peating, I get to enjoy the benefits of high-carb without severe bloating, thank god.
How have you managed to eat a lot of carbohydrates without bloating? that would be my greatest achievement.

Avoiding starches?

GreekDemiGod

How have you managed to eat a lot of carbohydrates without bloating? that would be my greatest achievement.

Avoiding starches?
It's odd, I don't remember writing that.
To be honest, I still have problems with bloating even after quitting starch. Fiber from fruits and milk are the next culprits.
I probably am at my best on a zero-starch, zero fiber diet, that would reduce my bloating the most.

Vins7

It's odd, I don't remember writing that.
To be honest, I still have problems with bloating even after quitting starch. Fiber from fruits and milk are the next culprits.
I probably am at my best on a zero-starch, zero fiber diet, that would reduce my bloating the most.
Oh, I was wishing you would tell me how you did it ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals