Need To Eat Zero Carb For A Few Weeks, Tips To Reduce Stress?

OP
SarahBeara

SarahBeara

Thing is my temps are in that range already! And my TSH is 0.7. So I'm not sure if I will have a good reaction to thyroid!

Giraffe

I think salt I can cover but I am concerned about potassium.
Cacao and mushrooms are high in potassium.

Start with 4 mg at bedtime until drowsiness subsides, then 8, 12, and 16.
I have tried 1 mg cyproheptadine every couple of days without noticing anything (except slight constipation). Then I took 2 mg one evening... It knocked me out for 19 hours. :jawdrop:

OP
SarahBeara

SarahBeara

Oh wow, I don't think I can risk sleeping for 19 hours. The boss might be wondering where I've gone!

Also, already have issues constipation, don't want to make it worse!

Day 3 now, not a peep out of my gut, it seems quite happy. Have been sleeping better with the honey and yoghurt combo. Will keep you posted.

DaveFoster

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Just a query on cypro, would the 16mg be forever? or just until I feel optimal on thyroid? I'm wary of the weight gain on cypro.

Ditto thyroid, is that a forever thing?
It's a forever thing.

Stress hormones raise sympathetic metabolism.

Cyproheptadine lowers stress hormones.

Sympathetic metabolism drops.

Weight gain ensues.

Thyroid raises parasympathetic metabolism.

Weight gain reverses.

tara

Thing is my temps are in that range already! And my TSH is 0.7. So I'm not sure if I will have a good reaction to thyroid!
Have you checked if it goes up or down an hour or two after breakfast, or in the afternoon?
If it goes up after breakfast, my guess is that you don't need to supplement thyroid.
If it goes down, that might indicate that stress hormones were raising the waking temp, and a lower temp later might indicate that a little thyroid supplement might be useful.

tara

I have tried 1 mg cyproheptadine every couple of days without noticing anything (except slight constipation). Then I took 2 mg one evening... It knocked me out for 19 hours. :jawdrop:
I believe it.
Oh wow, I don't think I can risk sleeping for 19 hours. The boss might be wondering where I've gone!

Yeah. If you decide to try it, I'd start with 1/2 or 1 mg, on an evening when you can afford to sleep in the next day.
And same if/when you increase dose. Some peoople report getting used to it after a few days so they can get up in the morning OK. :)

tara

It's a forever thing.
Some people take it indefinitely.
Some people here have taken it for a while and then find they need less or none.

OP
SarahBeara

SarahBeara

Thanks guys, I'm going to ask my very understanding doctor to see if she will prescribe me some. I don't like the idea of being on a drug for the rest of my life but I also don't like the idea of being sick forever either!

On scouring around the forum, seems the best starting does is 0.5mg? Or should I just dive into 4mg when I have the next day off?

tara

On scouring around the forum, seems the best starting does is 0.5mg? Or should I just dive into 4mg when I have the next day off?
Depends on your risk-tolerance. Dave F and I are on opposite ends of that spectrum. :)
But most likely the most you will get is extreme sleepiness if you take a lot of cyproheptadine. It's considered a pretty safe drug, if Haidut's investigations are anything to go by.
Tablets are typically 4mg. You might want a pill splitter to get down to quarters or eighths.

Giraffe

@SarahBeara , I had a look at your diet. To me it looks like you are severely undereating. Decaf coffee with milk is no breakfast at all. At lunch rice crackers and cheese? How many calories is this? How many calories do you get in a day?

I guess to tackle anxiety you first of all need to eat more. Other forum members reported that cyproheptadine helped them with food intolerance issues. You can read more here:

Cyproheptadine | Ray Peat Forum (Studies)
Cyproheptadine | Ray Peat Forum (Discussions / Dosing / Experiences)

OP
SarahBeara

SarahBeara

Hi Giraffe! Thanks for your reply, yes I know, food volume is an issue for me and exacerbates my symptoms. I'm gonna order some cypro and thyroid and see how I get on.

OP
SarahBeara

SarahBeara

Do you guys think mianserin would be a viable alternative to cypro for improving digestion?

I ask because I have bad PMS (only helped a little by progesterone) and it would be great to get two birds with one stone.

I'm also worried about suppression of dopamine as I already feel quite lazy most of the time lol! Also am worried about constipation as that can get quite severe and I *think* mianserin doesn't have that side effect?

Last edited:

tara

Thanks Tara! What's your own experience of cypro been?

I have tried it a little for different reasons - some people find it helpful against migraine.
I've taken 2mg, 4 mg or 8mg a few times, and smaller doses like 1/2 or 1mg more often.
I only took the larger doses (2mg or more) when I had migraine happening or threatening, so it's hard to separate out the effects of the drug from the process that was already happening - migraine can also make me extremely sleepy. The packet recommendation is for 4mg followed by another 4mg if needed, so I tried that a couple of times. It has sometimes seemed a little helpful for migraine, but not very effective.

With the smaller doses I initially slep a littel longer, but soon got used to it. I've just recently tried it agains a few times, since I stopped taking another drug. 1mg seems to be enough to make me sleep a little longer than usual or make it a little harder to wake up. 1/2 mg not so noticable. I took 2mg a few days ago, and slept longish. I think I get used to the small doses fairly quickly, and could probably take a bit more. I'm having trouble getting myself to bed early enough, and I have kids to organise in the morning, so I'm reluctant to make it harder to get up in the morning.

If I were you, I'd start at 1/2 or 1mg, and if it has no noticable effect, increase by a little until it does. And then see if you like the effect. People seem to differ, so you may end up taking more. If you have a weekend when you can really sleep in, you could probably try the 4mg the evening before, as Dave suggests.

tomisonbottom

Hi Giraffe! Thanks for your reply, yes I know, food volume is an issue for me and exacerbates my symptoms. I'm gonna order some cypro and thyroid and see how I get on.

Your body can't fix anything without nutrition, so you want to make sure you eat enough.
That might mean 3, 4, 5 thousand calories a day when you're hypo, because your body is inefficient.
How many calories are you eating?
Do you drink a lot of liquid? How much salt?

Last edited:
OP
SarahBeara

SarahBeara

Hi All,

I forgot to update this thread, I've just taken delivery of the cypro and I've yet to try it out but I'm feeling a LOT better.

I started using an infrared light on my abdomen for 20 mins a day, this one:
Evolva Future Technology T20 IR 38mm Lens Infrared Light Night Vision Flashlight Torch (Torch Only): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

It was instantly soothing and I felt a nice 'bubbling' sensation when I used it, followed by a gradual improvement in my symptoms over the course of a few weeks. I also had an easier than normal period so I think I was hitting my ovaries a little bit with it too.

Not sure I need the cypro any more but I will try it at the weekend.

OP
SarahBeara

SarahBeara

Ugh, feel like I'm back to square one. My whole digestive system feels red-raw and none of my usual tricks are working. Things I have tried:

Cyproheptadine - Only got to 1mg but made me feel really weird, anxious and seemed to make me depressed and prone to crying spells so had to stop. I think it was raising adrenalin like anti-histamines sometimes can do.

Tianeptine - Got really weird anxiety from this too

Amitryptiline - Weird LSD-like visuals and anxiety from only 10mg! Couldn't tolerate for more than a few days.

L-theanine - does take a slight edge off mild anxiety but doesn't help at all with digestion

Raw carrot - Ohh boy, paid for this one, could feel the pain at every point in my digestive system as it worked it's way through over about 18 hours.

Peppermint tea - mildly helps with gas but not burning pain/inflammation.

Soda water - usually my go-to for calming things down but the bubbles are just getting trapped and it's hard to bring up burps right now.

Infrared light - works for mild flares really well but not touching it right now.

Sugar and salt normally help but they are doing nothing at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions for something gentle that cools down inflammation in the entire digestive tract? I have trapped burps and pain and constipation AND diarrhoea. Bonus points if it helps with accompanying anxiety!

tara

Way back when I used to get uncomfortable gas, I used to find a drink of warm water and then lying on my back relaxing as deeply as possible, including letting breath really calm down, used to help me. May not be enough to help you, but it's a low risk thing to try. Also gentle forward bends could help relax the gut enough to let some of the gas out.

OP
SarahBeara

SarahBeara

Way back when I used to get uncomfortable gas, I used to find a drink of warm water and then lying on my back relaxing as deeply as possible, including letting breath really calm down, used to help me. May not be enough to help you, but it's a low risk thing to try. Also gentle forward bends could help relax the gut enough to let some of the gas out.

Yes, I do need to relax, I guess you can tell! Just so sick of being sick! Thanks for the reminder <3

Gelatinous chicken broth
Good call, I actually get get a hold of really good broth so will make myself some chicken soup.