Coming from low-carb, with a whole host of issues!

D

Derek

tara said:
post 108629
Derek said:
post 108626
tara said:
post 108624 When I had a pounding heart in teh night a couple of years ago, I think it was associated with hyperventilation. Have you tried slow breathing exercises before sleep? Or maybe a gentle walk after dinner (mouth shut)?

I've recently started taking about 120mg aspirin most days. I dissolve with a little baking soda in water, and add juice.
For the previous couple of years I was taking occasional aspirin at 500-1000 mg to see if they could avert migraines.

Aspirin/caffeine combinations seem to be highly effective for migraines. Did it work at all?
Sometimes deferred them for a little while, seldom stopped them. Once migraine under way, little or no use. Coffee seems to give me short term benefit but set me up for a harder fall when I do go down. I'm currently trying for small amounts of decaf coffee daily, along with the low dose aspirin, and I'm taking a single drop of oxidal most days. Ibuprofen seems more effective for me for sometimes stopping migraines in prodrome, or relieving them a littel when underway. My only effective drug once under way is sumatriptan.

Tara,

When I lowered my calcium/magnesium and upped my sodium/potassium my migraines got way better/less frequent! Calcium almost always gave me migraines.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Derek said:
post 108634 Tara,

When I lowered my calcium/magnesium and upped my sodium/potassium my migraines got way better/less frequent! Calcium almost always gave me migraines.
Interesting. I think I had a pretty low calcium diet through many of the years my migraines were getting worse and worse, because I seem to be intolerant to much dairy in any of the forms I've had available. They started after I stopped drinking milk regularly late teens. I had periods of supplementing calcium and magnesium over the years, but not all the time. I think I am now more prone if I miss my calcium and mg supps for a day or two. I do think undereating salt can get me. Not sure about potassium. I usually drink a couple of litres of juice and eat some potato and/or other veges most days, hoping it's generally enough. I'm also supplementing vits D3 and K2 in the hope that that will assist suitable calcium metabolism.

D

Derek

tara said:
post 108637
Derek said:
post 108634 Tara,

Interesting. I think I had a pretty low calcium diet through many of the years my migraines were getting worse and worse, because I seem to be intolerant to much dairy in any of the forms I've had available. They started after I stopped drinking milk regularly late teens. I had periods of supplementing calcium and magnesium over the years, but not all the time. I think I am now more prone if I miss my calcium and mg supps for a day or two. I do think undereating salt can get me. Not sure about potassium. I usually drink a couple of litres of juice and eat some potato and/or other veges most days, hoping it's generally enough. I'm also supplementing vits D3 and K2 in the hope that that will assist suitable calcium metabolism.

Everyone's different obviously. I'm just happy I was able to get rid of mine with diet. I do think a lot of migraine are caused by food intolerance/allergies and gut irritation/serotonin. So opposed to taking drugs, it may be better to try on focus on those things. I know what foods cause allergies and gut irritation and I avoid them, no more migraines.

tara

Derek said:
post 108647 Everyone's different obviously. I'm just happy I was able to get rid of mine with diet. I do think a lot of migraine are caused by food intolerance/allergies and gut irritation/serotonin. So opposed to taking drugs, it may be better to try on focus on those things. I know what foods cause allergies and gut irritation and I avoid them, no more migraines.
Yes, it does seem that migraineurs have different vulnerabilities/triggers. Glad you got yours sussed. What did you have to omit?
I haven't figured out what bothers my gut, because I seldom get noticable gut distress - excessive wheat gets me, so I don't eat much of it. And excessive milk bothers me in other ways, but I got migraines while completely avoiding all dairy too.

D

Derek

tara said:
post 108652
Derek said:
post 108647 Everyone's different obviously. I'm just happy I was able to get rid of mine with diet. I do think a lot of migraine are caused by food intolerance/allergies and gut irritation/serotonin. So opposed to taking drugs, it may be better to try on focus on those things. I know what foods cause allergies and gut irritation and I avoid them, no more migraines.
Yes, it does seem that migraineurs have different vulnerabilities/triggers. Glad you got yours sussed. What did you have to omit?
I haven't figured out what bothers my gut, because I seldom get noticable gut distress - excessive wheat gets me, so I don't eat much of it. And excessive milk bothers me in other ways, but I got migraines while completely avoiding all dairy too.

Milk, chocolate and coffee were the worst offenders for me. Histamine also was a big issue. In my fermented foods craze my migraines were at their peak. Have you ever tried an elimination diet where you maybe would consume white rice and cooked vegetables, or potatoes, vegetables, and meat? Sometimes simplifying things can help you asses whats going on, then adding foods back to see what your triggers are. You can live off the simple diets above just fine.

OP
E

Emstar1892

Definitely working on this. Today I tried to snack a few times, one time failed and I felt awful (was too busy at work) but we'll see what happens when I go to bed tonight! thanks again :)

Man, I would love a milkshake. I would adore one. For some reason though, dairy makes my face explode with cysts. I haven't had any in 5 years!

May I ask, Derek, what brings you to this forum? Are you a long-term peat follower? Curious about his ideas? Trying to overcome something?

D

Derek

Emstar1892 said:
post 108807 Definitely working on this. Today I tried to snack a few times, one time failed and I felt awful (was too busy at work) but we'll see what happens when I go to bed tonight! thanks again :)

Man, I would love a milkshake. I would adore one. For some reason though, dairy makes my face explode with cysts. I haven't had any in 5 years!

May I ask, Derek, what brings you to this forum? Are you a long-term peat follower? Curious about his ideas? Trying to overcome something?

Just came on this forum to try and help others. I've done a decent job helping friends/family/acquaintances. I am not a follower of anybody. However, I do like some of Peat's ideas, and he's been very nice and helpful through emails that I have had with him. I am 100% healthy today, but I did have a lot of things to overcome that's for sure!

I know a milkshake seems contradictory since I recommended you try a high carb/low fat diet. But that was until you described the racing, pounding heart that you are having at night, which is surely high adrenaline. A milkshake would really help with that I think. Did you try different types of milk/ice cream? HD gave me bad acne, but Turkey hill all natural did not. However, I don't consume much dairy today. Just saying that different brands can affect you differently. Also, a big cause of cystic acne is zinc deficiency. Milk/Ice cream lowers zinc. Maybe eating that beef and rice you crave (zinc), with a milkshake at night; could be worth a try!

OP
E

Emstar1892

Well thank you for helping me, too. You seem like a very nice person!

Same for Tara and giraffe and everyone else who has commented here :)

Sometimes I get so anxious thinking about all these things on my own. Especially when my sleep is affected. You guys calm me haha!

Peata

I suggest thinking about keeping fat the same, raising protein some, and using some sugar in place of some starch. And more calories/food between the meals. Lastly, eat something fairly close to bed, like half string cheese and some honey. Or something. :2cents

Ulla

Derek said:
I know a milkshake seems contradictory since I recommended you try a high carb/low fat diet. But that was until you described the racing, pounding heart that you are having at night, which is surely high adrenaline. A milkshake would really help with that I think. Did you try different types of milk/ice cream? HD gave me bad acne, but Turkey hill all natural did not. However, I don't consume much dairy today. Just saying that different brands can affect you differently. Also, a big cause of cystic acne is zinc deficiency. Milk/Ice cream lowers zinc. Maybe eating that beef and rice you crave (zinc), with a milkshake at night; could be worth a try!

Hey, Derek.
Do you know the mechanism that runs in behind of milk and lowering the zinc?
I have noticed arise in acne a lot since drinking more milk. I don't supplement zinc neither eat shell food.

D

Derek

naninani said:
post 109403
Derek said:

Hey, Derek.
Do you know the mechanism that runs in behind of milk and lowering the zinc?
I have noticed arise in acne a lot since drinking more milk. I don't supplement zinc neither eat shell food.

Calcium suppresses metabolism/thyroid, zinc stimulates it. So consuming high amounts of calcium increases your need for zinc. I am not saying consuming calcium is bad. It's all about balance. So if you do consume it you need to balance it with zinc, and like you said, you don't supplement or eat shellfish. What about beef/lamb?

Also, calcium blocks the absorption of zinc if eaten at the same time; but I wasn't really talking about that.

Estrogen also increases your needs for zinc and milk certainly contains it's fair share of estrogen. I don't know if you drank whole fat either, but excess fat also increases the probability of acne by suppressing metabolism/thyroid. And, in my experience there is not enough vitamin A in whole fat milk to offset the amount of estrogen.

Ulla

Thank you!!
Really nice and simple explanation.

I drink milk 1,5%, don't eat liver, don't supplement zinc... Now that I understand thing around Ca and Zu I can go on for seeking a balance. Thanks again!

Brian

Derek said:
Calcium suppresses metabolism/thyroid, zinc stimulates it. So consuming high amounts of calcium increases your need for zinc. I am not saying consuming calcium is bad. It's all about balance. So if you do consume it you need to balance it with zinc, and like you said, you don't supplement or eat shellfish. What about beef/lamb?

Also, calcium blocks the absorption of zinc if eaten at the same time; but I was really talking about that.

Estrogen also increases your needs for zinc and milk certainly contains it's fair share of estrogen. I don't know if you drank whole fat either, but fat also increases acne by suppressing metabolism/thyroid. So calcium, fat, estrogen/hormones, and a low zinc diet; is certainly going to increase your risks of getting acne.

Calcium becomes problematic when PTH is high and there are insufficient vitamin A, D, K, and magnesium to lower it. Without these calcium goes into soft tissue and into the cell and disrupts magnesium from activating ATP--greatly lowering cellular energy/metabolism.

But if you are able to lower PTH with these things you can eat all the calcium you want as it will quickly go into bones and teeth when it enters the blood and won't disrupt metabolism or interfere with other minerals like magnesium and zinc.

I definitely agree though that without getting PTH down significant amounts of calcium in the diet will disrupt metabolism severely. I experienced this multiple times until I figured it out. I think it's a common reason why people do poorly on a high dairy diet.

Matt1951

My temperatures increased nicely when I added substantial amounts of milk to my diet. First time ever I got to where I should be, often 99F during the day. I have a glass at breakfast, a quart at lunch, another glass in the evening, and some cottage cheese, along with hard cheese.

D

Derek

Matt1951 said:
post 109451 My temperatures increased nicely when I added substantial amounts of milk to my diet. First time ever I got to where I should be, often 99F during the day. I have a glass at breakfast, a quart at lunch, another glass in the evening, and some cottage cheese, along with hard cheese.

That could be from stress hormones (mainly estrogen & cortisol), not adequate thyroid function . But if you feel calm and relaxed, and generally well; then that's good news. I would continue with the dairy!

tara

Derek said:
post 109410 Calcium suppresses metabolism/thyroid, ...
I think this is the opposite of what Peat says.
But he does recommend eating regular oyster to ensure adequate zinc, and getting the other co-factors too.

D

Derek

tara said:
post 109489
Derek said:
But he does recommend eating regular oyster to ensure adequate zinc, and getting the other co-factors too.

Yes, but zinc and the other co-factors need to be properly balanced with calcium and that's not really possible when you consume many grams of it! 2 quarts of milk = 2.4g calcium. You need a 1:1 of Ca:Mg in most cases, it's not really possible to get more than 2g Mg from diet. Also, it's not possible from supplementation, it wouldn't even be tolerable. And even if you could consume that much somehow, or supplement it; it wouldn't be retained because Calcium is suppressing your thyroid, depleting you of zinc, and inhibiting your ability to retain Mg. That's why people here need to take progesterone/pregnenolone/vitamin E. They are suppressing their thyroids with too much calcium/copper and need to take all these pro thyroid substances to try and balance it out. And from what I see here, in most cases that isn't working for people very well. And I guess if you consume a stack of oysters everyday that may be enough zinc, but again that isn't realistic to think people are going to eat that amount of oysters. Also, eating that many oysters would overload you with copper and heavy metals!

I can't think of a more effective way to suppress metabolism/thyroid than consuming 2 quarts of milk daily and high copper foods like liver.

And I'm not necessarily criticizing that way of eating. If consuming 2-4g of calcium and eating oysters/liver and fruit/OJ work, then that's great. However, those people seem to be a minority. I am speaking more about the people that this way of eating doesn't work for.

EIRE24

Derek said:
post 109561
tara said:
post 109489
Derek said:

Yes, but zinc and the other co-factors need to be properly balanced with calcium and that's not really possible when you consume many grams of it! 2 quarts of milk = 2.4g calcium. You need a 1:1 of Ca:Mg in most cases, it's not really possible to get more than 2g Mg from diet. Also, it's not possible from supplementation, it wouldn't even be tolerable. And even if you could consume that much somehow, or supplement it; it wouldn't be retained because Calcium is suppressing your thyroid, depleting you of zinc, and inhibiting your ability to retain Mg. That's why people here need to take progesterone/pregnenolone/vitamin E. They are suppressing their thyroids with too much calcium/copper and need to take all these pro thyroid substances to try and balance it out. And from what I see here, in most cases that isn't working for people very well. And I guess if you consume a stack of oysters everyday that may be enough zinc, but again that isn't realistic to think people are going to eat that amount of oysters!

I can't think of a more effective way to suppress metabolism/thyroid than consuming 2 quarts of milk daily and high copper foods like liver.

And I'm not necessarily criticizing that way of eating. If consuming 2-4g of calcium and eating oysters/liver and fruit/OJ work, then that's great. However, those people seem to be a minority. I am speaking more about the people that this way of eating doesn't work for.

I have to agree with you here. Liver seems to make me way worse, I have terrible acne at the moment and the only advice im getting is eat more liver and it makes my acne worse.

D

Derek

EIRE24 said:
post 109566
Derek said:
post 109561
tara said:
post 109489
Derek said:

Yes, but zinc and the other co-factors need to be properly balanced with calcium and that's not really possible when you consume many grams of it! 2 quarts of milk = 2.4g calcium. You need a 1:1 of Ca:Mg in most cases, it's not really possible to get more than 2g Mg from diet. Also, it's not possible from supplementation, it wouldn't even be tolerable. And even if you could consume that much somehow, or supplement it; it wouldn't be retained because Calcium is suppressing your thyroid, depleting you of zinc, and inhibiting your ability to retain Mg. That's why people here need to take progesterone/pregnenolone/vitamin E. They are suppressing their thyroids with too much calcium/copper and need to take all these pro thyroid substances to try and balance it out. And from what I see here, in most cases that isn't working for people very well. And I guess if you consume a stack of oysters everyday that may be enough zinc, but again that isn't realistic to think people are going to eat that amount of oysters!

I have to agree with you here. Liver seems to make me way worse, I have terrible acne at the moment and the only advice im getting is eat more liver and it makes my acne worse.

PM me your daily diet and I will try and help!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals