Switching from Low Carb, "insuline resistance" diet to peat diet?

Daimyo

Hi guys and girls!

How do you switch from a low carb "insuline resistance" diet to peat diet? We are talking 60 grams of carbs a day. How do you make the transition?

I have a customer who bought NDT from me, she's about 45 years old, reasonable OK, the mood is improved, she went up to 4-5 grains of Thiroyd. Her temp was about 35.4-36.5 most of the time. She started exercising recently and her temp dropped to 35.4*C now. Obviously I advised her to ditch physical activity as she's not ready for that, but my male intuition is, that taking high dose of NDT, low carb and exercises is just asking for even more severe metabolic damage.

Next day after eating more carbs, especially fruit, she feels hungry and "hypoglycemic".

Brian

What I experienced is that you just have to be persistent about eating at least three meals a day, mostly carbs, adequate protein, with keeping fat below 50 grams and getting sufficient calories. It took me about a year before I was metabolizing carbs optimally (after about three years of low carb), but I made a lot of progress in just a month of consistent carb eating.

I have since increased my fat intake, but I think it's important in the recovery phase to keep fat fairly low.

With my current perspective I would have done a few things to make it work more smoothly. I would have done a daily carrot salad and maybe a course of antibiotics after about a month or so to make sure that my endotoxin wasn't getting out of control while my metabolism was still too weak to keep it sterile enough on its own. I would have also increased my fat soluble intake, especially K2 to help with improving liver function and maybe some caffeine as well.

tara

Daimyo said:
post 99574 Next day after eating more carbs, especially fruit, she feels hungry and "hypoglycemic".
This sounds like a good sign to me. Hunger is signal to eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
tara said:
post 99663 This sounds like a good sign to me. Hunger is signal to eat.
I thought the same thing when I read it.

Last edited:

jyb

tara said:
post 99663
Daimyo said:
post 99574 Next day after eating more carbs, especially fruit, she feels hungry and "hypoglycemic".

Well there are two types of hungers in my opinion. In the above it seems to be a hunger of the stressful and sudden type, indicating a metabolic problem which is not necessarily a calorie deficiency (either way, if there really is hypoglycaemia and it continues on the diet then that's pretty bad). So this could be either good or very bad depending on what's really happening. On a bad diet anything can happen, including stressful hunger when there is enough calorie, or being even more hungry when increasing the calorie count.

tara

jyb said:
post 99669
tara said:
post 99663
Daimyo said:

Well there are two types of hungers in my opinion. In the above it seems to be a stressful hunger indicating a metabolic problem not necessarily a calorie deficiency (either way, if there really is hypoglycaemia and it continues on the diet then that's pretty bad). And I think this could happen even on a bad diet even if you eat enough calories, or could even get worse when increasing the number of calories.

If you mean hypoglycemia itself is a problem, I agree with you. It's not a state to spend much time in.

But my guess is that both getting hungry for more carbs and apparent hypoglycemia in this situation indicate that she is probably using those extra carbs - and that seems like a good thing. Compared with, say, hyperglycemia and lack of appetite. Under these conditions, glycogen storage may not be great to begin with - that wouldn't be unusual.

jyb

tara said:
But my guess is that both getting hungry for more carbs and apparent hypoglycemia in this situation indicate that she is probably using those extra carbs - and that seems like a good thing. Compared with, say, hyperglycemia and lack of appetite. Under these conditions, glycogen storage may not be great to begin with - that wouldn't be unusual.

But is that a healthy carb use? It's like reactive hypoglycaemia when you get a post-meal crash, or like diabetics over-doing the insulin injection - the health is not improved at all by such event. The blood glucose disappears, but it looks more like as an emergency normalisation. Anyway going well off topic here...

tara

jyb said:
post 99674 - the health is not improved at all by such event.
I agree that health is not improved by hypoglycemia. But it may be a mitigable risk during transition back to eating more carbs after low carb. I'd expect it to be easier to do something about hypoglycemia than hyper- while doing this. It's a matter of having more frequent snacks/juice, etc for a while. Some people would enjoy that. It's also possible that making the transition may improve endogenous thyroid function somewhat (no guarantees, though).

The obvious solution to low sugar is to add more sugar (and all the other nutrients along with it). Wish I'd heard this perspective when I was near fainting in my twenties and reading books saying the solution was to eliminate sugar.

Would you be favouring staying low carb indefinitely and just supplementing lots of thyroid to keep the metabolism up?

tara

Does her temperature go up with more carbs?

OP
Daimyo

Daimyo

Thanks for the reply everyone...

Brian said:
post 99627 What I experienced is that you just have to be persistent about eating at least three meals a day, mostly carbs, adequate protein, with keeping fat below 50 grams and getting sufficient calories. It took me about a year before I was metabolizing carbs optimally (after about three years of low carb), but I made a lot of progress in just a month of consistent carb eating.

So... Let's say Monday you eat high fat diet and on Tuesday morning you start eating low fat, high carb diet?

OP
Daimyo

Daimyo

Brian said:
post 99627
What I experienced is that you just have to be persistent about eating at least three meals a day, mostly carbs, adequate protein, with keeping fat below 50 grams and getting sufficient calories. It took me about a year before I was metabolizing carbs optimally (after about three years of low carb), but I made a lot of progress in just a month of consistent carb eating.

Brian, how would the transition from low carb to high carb low fat diet look like. Do you gradually increase the dose of carbs and limit fat or you do it over one day?

Brian

Daimyo said:
Brian, how would the transition from low carb to high carb low fat diet look like. Do you gradually increase the dose of carbs and limit fat or you do it over one day?

I can't claim any expertise on this subject. I was relatively young when I made the transition, which probably helped a lot. I would think high dose thiamine, niacinamide, and aspirin would be very helpful for regaining insulin sensitivity, which is probably the main thing that needs to be improved to do well on carbs again. I personally don't have any experience with using them for a quick transition for low to high carb though, but from what I can tell it's probably the way to go in order to make the transition go well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals