Low Carb Induced Severe Insulin Resistance?

Mittir

RP recommends against cortisol supplement. His dietary recommendations are aimed at
lowering stress hormones like cortisol. I think the breathing problem you are having is a result of
fall in stress hormones with breakfast. Measure your temperature and pulse before breakfast and 1 hour after breakfast and this will give you an idea about your thyroid status. What was your TSH?
Did they test your total T3?

Swandattur

Just to mention, Mightyfall, what you describe sounds pretty much how I felt when I tried eating starch again. It wasn't good. Well, I also have an unfortunate problem with dairy.

OP
M

MightyFall

Dewitt said:
After studying all the research about the Randle Cycle and trying to evaluate it with my own education in biochemistry, it seems clear to me that high levels of free fatty acids are the most likely cause of insulin resistance. That a low-carb diet would induce this issue is not suprising. No diet raises FFA levels as much as a low-carb diet - except maybe for fasting, but I wouldn't really consider that a diet.

I think lowering FFA levels would be the most important thing to do. Getting a steady stream of carbohydrates is crucial - sugar should be the preffered carb-source as it can used even when glucose cannot (as in insulin resistance). Avoiding all PUFAs is another important step, as PUFAs inhibit one of the key rate-limiting enzymes in oxidative metabolism - pyruvate dehydrogenase - by raising pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase, thereby destabilizing pyruvate dehydrogenase and ultimately increasing lactate production.
The pituitary hormones can raise FFA levels and induce insulin resistance as well. Lowering prolactin, HGH and cortisol levels is therefore just as important. Even though having some protein at a meal can supress FFA levels somewhat, a high-protein diet increases the secretion of all the pituitary hormones. I think the 80-100g protein Peat often recommends would be fine if you get enough carbohydrates.
Dietary fat can increase FFA levels, but they can be supressed by sufficient carbohydrate and protein intake. But I believe having a significantly lower fat intake in relation to your carbohydrate intake would still be beneficial. However, it is just as beneficial to eat some fat very frequently, as dietary saturated fats displace the free PUFAs in the bloodstream. Drinking a glass of whole milk every now and then would be perfect for this, as is eating a teaspoon of coconut oil every hour or so.
To supress the pituitary hormones and cortisol (that is indirectly increased by ACTH, a pituitary hormone) further, I would recommend taking aspirin. It is the cheapest and most easily available option.

Interesting. I experimented with a significantly lower fat intake (combined with intermittent fasting - intervals of 18 hours some days!). I still suffer with this low energy, lethargy and fatigue, as well as post-meal 'hypoglycemia'.

I now eat a high protein, low GI breakfast. I find that this helps avoiding any unpredictable dips throughout the day. I can't say my energy levels, attention span or motivation are any better.

What eating pattern would you recommend? Small, frequent meals or large, carb-dense meals? Carb timing? High protein, low carb for breakfast?

I can't live my life like this any more. Sorry to bump this.

Swandattur

Maybe you should try the frequent intake of saturated fat Dewitt mentions. I just went back on Adderall, myself, because of depression. It seems to boost the effect of the Wellbutrin I'm on. It seems to work better on my high non starchy carb fairly Peat diet. It really helps on the energy and hunger issues. It's like I now have brain fuel. I can think so much better and feel so much better on Adderall, though, but the Peat sort of diet seems to be key in helping it work better. Now I can contemplate the possibility of trying a medication with t3.
Dewitt didn't say he thought fasting was good in that quote. Nor does Peat think fasting is good. Peat says fasting is not a good thing for metabolism at all. Or that is what I have understood. I might try the whole milk snacking.

NewACC

@MightyFall The only thing you need is moderate doses of aspirin and niacinamide with every high-carb meal, and maybe some caffeine or thyroid, whichever you're more tolerant of. Then you can add some excercises. Although your post is 10 years old, I would still be happy to help

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals