Fats And Carbs In Same Meal

MB50

Hey everyone,

I have struggled to find a consensus onthe forum regarding the mixing of carbs and fats in the same meal and was hoping someone could help out with some clarification.

I have seen some people state that taking carbs and fat together shouldn't be an issue, of course saturated fat that is. However, I am assuming the randle cycle is going to cause that saturated fat to still be stored if there is a decent amount of sugar in the meal. Therefore, it seems like to prevent weight gain it is best to consume fats and carbs separately? I am also curious as to what timelines would be best to separate a heavy carb meal from fat? Would it be once blood glucose and insulin levels return to baseline after feeding?

Any insight is welcome and I am really trying to get a grasp on how insulin, the randle cycle, and nutrient timing interact in this whole picture. Thanks.

tara

I agree there are various views.

Peat has said that mixed meals (C, F, P) attend to be absorbed better than the separated constituents. A little fat in a meal helps it digest better.

Some people are trying to do super low fat for various reasons (hoping for PUFA depletion, fat-loss, improved glucose handling).

I haven't seen him recommend high-fat/low carb meals, and I can't see a reason for them for most people (though occasionally I crave a little butter:)).

Personally, I'd be thinking eat enough fat to make the meal taste good [eta:]and to get in enough calories, make it as saturated as practical, don't eat so much fat that you swamp carb metabolism too much.

Timing depends on your glycogen storage capacity. Eat often enough to not spend too long in glycogen-depleted hunger-stress/high fat-burning mode.

Last edited:

Jayfish

Fat will be stored in fat stores whether there are carbs in the meal or not, that is the fate of dietary fat. Then it is used as needed.

DaveFoster

Nothing wrong with saturated fat. Fully hydrogenated coconut oil is your best option.

OP
MB50

MB50

So I guess the best time for fats would be night? That way it can hopefully be gradually metabolized throughout the night?

Also does anybody know the most important physiological differences that occur with a high vs low insulin response for an insulin sensitive person? Should high insulin responses from high glucose meals be avoided? If so, why?

Thanks for the help!

Stryker

i think evidence points towards keeping fat calories below 20% for insulin sensitivity and maintaining optimal glucose metabolisim

so say your eating 3000 calories a day , 65 grams of fat would be a good place to start and experiment with lower values and see how you feel.

a big mistake around here is people thinking there invincible and overdoing the coconut and milk fat because ray said there not damaging like PUFA.

it will still make you fat and will still induce the randle cycle if you over consume them.

YuraCZ

Nothing wrong with saturated fat. Fully hydrogenated coconut oil is your best option.
There is not better fat. Than Ghee from organic grass fed cows butter.. Full of vit A,D,K2 and other good stuff.

YuraCZ

i think evidence points towards keeping fat calories below 20% for insulin sensitivity and maintaining optimal glucose metabolisim

so say your eating 3000 calories a day , 65 grams of fat would be a good place to start and experiment with lower values and see how you feel.

a big mistake around here is people thinking there invincible and overdoing the coconut and milk fat because ray said there not damaging like PUFA.

it will still make you fat and will still induce the randle cycle if you over consume them.
Stressed, hypothyroid people with high cortisol etc.. on lower fat diet = blood sugar all over the place.. I think 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein is a good ratio for most people...

Stryker

Stressed, hypothyroid people with high cortisol etc.. on lower fat diet = blood sugar all over the place.. I think 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein is a good ratio for most people...
while i am not dismissing what you have said it goes against the many people in real life i know who abolished their high cortisol and hypothyroid symptoms keeping their fat very low without reducing their calories.

could you please elaboorate as to why low fat causes fluctuating blood sugar levels for stressed people on eucaloric diets?

YuraCZ

while i am not dismissing what you have said it goes against the many people in real life i know who abolished their high cortisol and hypothyroid symptoms keeping their fat very low without reducing their calories.

could you please elaboorate as to why low fat causes fluctuating blood sugar levels for stressed people on eucaloric diets?
Because low fat foods are digested fast.. So unless you are not eating every hour or two. It is good idea add some fats to slow glucose release into the bloodstream..

Because low fat foods are digested fast.. So unless you are not eating every hour or two. It is good idea add some fats to slow glucose release into the bloodstream..

I'll go ahead and second this.

In theory, it's not optimal, but in practice it's difficult to constantly be eating when one has gone for years knowing he doesn't need to eat very often to feel energized.

Problems arise when hunger strikes unexpectedly; most "convenience foods" contain very few nutrients, this can lead to too many empty calories if one isn't thoroughly prepared.

As long as it's understood that eventually less fat in the diet is better, this could make for a smoother transition in my opinion.

Last edited:

EIRE24

I'll go ahead and second this.

In theory, it's not optimal, but in practice it's difficult to constantly be eating when one has gone for years knowing he doesn't need to eat very often to feel energized.

Problems arise when hunger strikes unexpectedly; most "convenience foods" contain very few nutrients, this can lead to too many empty calories if one isn't thoroughly prepared.

As long as it's understood that eventually less fat in the diet is better, this could make for a smoother transition in my opinion.

I've been running low fat for the last year (max 15 grams a day) and although I have lost weight and feel good at times, my skin is something that has taken a massive decline. I am sure I get enough sun, vitamin A and the fat solubles along with it. It's extremely dry and prone to little spots/zits. I don't get any chronic cystic acne but it is still annoying. My skin used to be awesome. Also, digestion isn't the best eating this way. I'm starting to wonder if I should add some fat back into my diet or not?

Nighteyes

I've been running low fat for the last year (max 15 grams a day) and although I have lost weight and feel good at times, my skin is something that has taken a massive decline. I am sure I get enough sun, vitamin A and the fat solubles along with it. It's extremely dry and prone to little spots/zits. I don't get any chronic cystic acne but it is still annoying. My skin used to be awesome. Also, digestion isn't the best eating this way. I'm starting to wonder if I should add some fat back into my diet or not?

You could go by taste - just The right amount of fat makes The meal taste awesome. If The food tastes bland now perhaps you are right to up The fat a bit. I find a small amount of butter makes Rice amazing. Same for steak etc

YuraCZ

You could go by taste - just The right amount of fat makes The meal taste awesome. If The food tastes bland now perhaps you are right to up The fat a bit. I find a small amount of butter makes Rice amazing. Same for steak etc
I have with every meal up to 30g of Ghee. + 1 tsp of sea salt( I need really alot of salt...) Ghee is much easier digested than butter and it is so easy making Ghee at home..

paymanz

it depends, especially if you active or do sport then you glycogen deplet fast and getting high sugar at once mostly goes into glycogen.

paymanz

it cant be saying fat is more fattening or sugar, there is studies showing coconut oil added to diet cause weight loss,so it really can not be specific formula.i agree with what tara said.eat them to taste.

for example after hard body(or maybe mental) work usually there is more craving for sugar and not fat.ray also said that a working muscle mostly use sugar...

Jayfish

Maybe it's not the fat specifically but the foods you replaced it with. Are you eating a lot of fruit and starch? Under ripe fruit and starch could be the cause of the skin issues. I know I had worse skin eating a lot of those as well as a few others I have talked to.

EIRE24

Maybe it's not the fat specifically but the foods you replaced it with. Are you eating a lot of fruit and starch? Under ripe fruit and starch could be the cause of the skin issues. I know I had worse skin eating a lot of those as well as a few others I have talked to.

Fruit does not agree with me at all and my skin gets terrible when I eat things like watermelon or melon in large amounts. My face is better on things like potatoes and rice. I don't think I'll ever cut out starch, I've eaten it my whole life with no acne or skin problems until I came to peat. I think I either messed up my gut flora from something like gelatin as I got a food poisoning like reaction to the red can and was vomiting for days or when I cut fat my body was really stressed

Jayfish

Interesting how many times I have heard of gelatine causing severe stomach issues. It has a ton of endotoxin because it is made with cow hides and hooves and whatnot.

paymanz

Interesting how many times I have heard of gelatine causing severe stomach issues. It has a ton of endotoxin because it is made with cow hides and hooves and whatnot.
yeah and no one knows the bones and other leftover of animal how long are depot and in what environment till they arrive to factory!but the processes they do on it may remove some of them i guess.there is standards the have to keep.maybe they use toxin binders.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals