Stuck Between Hypothyroid And Adrenal Insufficiency. And Poor Digestion

Uncaged

A little background:

I've had severe inflammatory issues since approx 19 years old. Now insomnia, anxiety, and lack of motivation rules my life, for the past several years, with severe palpitations upon waking. I seldom sleep for more than 3-4 hours. I have anxiety that borders on panic attack, where I feel like I'm not able to get enough oxygen. The crazy thing is, I can feel these symptoms originating from my gut. When my gut is unhappy, or I have eaten something that I'm allergic to, I get this feeling.

Doctor placed me on clonazepam, and tried several SSRI's, finally settling on Lexapro. After almost 2 years on both, with worsening symptoms, i decided to ween myself off of both meds and begin troubleshooting myself.

I began tracking body temperature and pulse, per reading done on Dr. Ray Peat's work. Changing my diet, including ice cream before bed, to combat low blood sugar levels and prevent an adrenaline spike, has prevented palpitations. However, I am currently experiencing low body temperature upon waking (oral temp: 95.0 - 96.2), yet still experience a feeling of an extreme hot flash, upon waking in the middle of the night.

I have severe inflammation issues, along with digestion issues (i.e., lactose intolerance, etc). I started on Dr. Ron's Thyroid with Liver, and Organ Delight, over the course of the past month and did notice a small increase in body temperature, but nothing near normal. Since beginning the thyroid supplement, I have noticed the hot skin phenomenon (low core temperature, with hot feeling, sometimes sweaty skin).

Everything points to hypothyroidism, and the adrenal symptom list on Stop the Thyroid Madness, also echoes a fair amount of symptoms I currently have, as well. The other issue is digestion. I have attempted to follow Peat and Danny Roddy's recommendations, however, I cannot consume any dairy (cow, goat, animal rennet, haagen daz without additives, etc), as they all lead to severe reactions.

I have been eating carrot salad with coconut oil and vinegar, daily, which seems to agree with me. I also consume quite a bit of raw orange juice, grapes, great Lakes hydrolyzed collagen protein, steak and eggs cooked in Kerry gold butter, and liver. However, I'm still not able to consume enough calories to keep up, either that, or I'm not absorbing them, as I am losing weight fairly quickly. Which is something my doctor did find alarming.

The supplements I currently take are as follows: Selenium, Vitamin D3 with K and Iodine, Magnesium, Calcium (which seems to have helped with anxiety, bordering on panic attacks), aspirin, vitamin E, vitamin B2, Niacinamide, Dr Ron's Thyroid with Liver, Dr. Ron's Organ Delight (porcine-free).

Any suggestions on food choices that I can consume, while attempting to heal my digestive tract and fix my thyroid/adrenals?

Orion

Lots of very ripe or cooked fruit, OJ, apple juice, honey and white sugar. I use about 1.5 cups of white sugar per day - that adds about ~1400 calories.

Apple juice can be easier on the digestive system, less pectin than OJ. Make sure OJ is pulp free.

Sucrose will stabilize blood sugar, and should get your energy up. Your liver needs sugar to convert T4 to T3. Sugar will also provide cholesterol, which is needed with thyroid and vitamin A to create protective steroids; pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA.

RP thinks Iodine supps are not needed, they can actually make your thyroid down regulate.

If milk is an issues in the beginning, egg shells are the best next calcium. 1 teaspoon spread through the day will provide ~2000mg, RP recommends this.

Be careful with B3 niacinamide it can drop blood sugar very quickly in very small amounts and cause a stress reaction in people who are hypothyroid.

Digestive issues can be helped with the raw carrot away from meals, and if you think you upper intestines are bacterial overgrown, which affect milk and sugar digestion, some penicillin or tetracycline in short low doses could be beneficial. Start low with white sugar and increase if this is the case, it should help raise thyroid and therefore help digestion.

papaya

Lots of very ripe or cooked fruit, OJ, apple juice, honey and white sugar. I use about 1.5 cups of white sugar per day - that adds about ~1400 calories.

Apple juice can be easier on the digestive system, less pectin than OJ. Make sure OJ is pulp free.

Sucrose will stabilize blood sugar, and should get your energy up. Your liver needs sugar to convert T4 to T3. Sugar will also provide cholesterol, which is needed with thyroid and vitamin A to create protective steroids; pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA.

RP thinks Iodine supps are not needed, they can actually make your thyroid down regulate.

If milk is an issues in the beginning, egg shells are the best next calcium. 1 teaspoon spread through the day will provide ~2000mg, RP recommends this.

Be careful with B3 niacinamide it can drop blood sugar very quickly in very small amounts and cause a stress reaction in people who are hypothyroid.

Digestive issues can be helped with the raw carrot away from meals, and if you think you upper intestines are bacterial overgrown, which affect milk and sugar digestion, some penicillin or tetracycline in short low doses could be beneficial. Start low with white sugar and increase if this is the case, it should help raise thyroid and therefore help digestion.
do u just grind up the egg shells? could they/should they be from hard boiled eggs or does that destroy the calcium?

Orion

do u just grind up the egg shells? could they/should they be from hard boiled eggs or does that destroy the calcium?

Make hard boiled eggs, this washes/cleanses the shell. Eat the eggs especially if you can find good real pastured ones :) Then just grind up the dry shell in a portable coffee grinder if you have one on hand. It provides calcium carbonate, RP thinks this is the best form.

RP doesn't recommended eating lots of commercial eggs has the PUFA content can be quite high, they are fed mainly corn and soy, but you don't have to avoid them.

papaya

Make hard boiled eggs, this washes/cleanses the shell. Eat the eggs especially if you can find good real pastured ones :) Then just grind up the dry shell in a portable coffee grinder if you have one on hand. It provides calcium carbonate, RP thinks this is the best form.

RP doesn't recommended eating lots of commercial eggs has the PUFA content can be quite high, they are fed mainly corn and soy, but you don't have to avoid them.
thank u so much!!!

OP
U

Uncaged

Thank you for the reply.

I remember RP expressed concern of fungus in apple juice/cider.. I could be wrong.

I have attempted to raise actual sugar intake a couple times, outside of using honey and grapes, also drinking around a half gallon of OJ a day. If I add more sugar I notice psoriasis flaring up, my relapsing polychondritis begins to flare and ears begin to turn red, get hot and stiffen. I also have overall numbness in hands and feet, more so feet, accompanied by pain in feet. Joints are extremely stiff and painful.

I used to suffer from IBS, however, now I'm in constipation territory. I went through a period of borderline starvation where I was eating only chicken or bone stocks with some chicken, carrots, and celery. I would assume around 900-1200 calories/day. I still don't believe I'm getting enough protein.

Orion

OJ can cause digestive issues due to the high pectin content. With apple juice try different brands, its low pectin, but some could have fungus.

With lots of extra liquids, make sure to take extra canning salt. Baking soda can be used as well, and can help increase CO2, which is very effective at lowering inflammation

RP mentions that inflammation starts in the gut, due to bacteria being feed with undigested food (increasing serotonin/estrogen/cortisol cycle). Maybe you have bacteria that are closer up the intestines toward the stomach, which should be sterile. Might be best to increase sugar slowly to bring up metabolism. Are you able to obtain antibiotics?

OP
U

Uncaged

OJ can cause digestive issues due to the high pectin content. With apple juice try different brands, its low pectin, but some could have fungus.

With lots of extra liquids, make sure to take extra canning salt. Baking soda can be used as well, and can help increase CO2, which is very effective at lowering inflammation

RP mentions that inflammation starts in the gut, due to bacteria being feed with undigested food (increasing serotonin/estrogen/cortisol cycle). Maybe you have bacteria that are closer up the intestines toward the stomach, which should be sterile. Might be best to increase sugar slowly to bring up metabolism. Are you able to obtain antibiotics?

I'll keep an eye out for a quality apple juice, or if anyone has any suggestions.

I would have to believe that is probably the case, and unfortunately the carrot is my only option right now, as I don't curently have insurance (was recently laid off due to downsize).

I've tried looking for an antibiotic that could be purchased online and shipped, such as the ones Danny Roddy aquired, however, I haven't had any luck.

OP
U

Uncaged

I have also noted painful swelling of the nipples, where they crack. A benadryl usually helps this subside within a day.

Orion

If you google farmacia del Nino, and use bitcoin, this could be an option.

Also wanted to mention, that when raising calories and using frequent meals, incorporating sugar, you shutdown stress hormones and stress response powerfully.
Since you were most likely in a stress state, low calories and IBS, sugar will shutdown cortisol/adrenaline and most likely cause flare-ups of your symptoms, since in the hypothyroid stress state they were being repressed. Sugar is not the culprit, but revealing your stress state.

Stick with raw carrot away from meals, eat frequent meals(every 2hrs if needed), stay very very low PUFA, coconut oil can provide instant fuel for cells. Slowly increase sugar (ripe fruit, cooked fruit, pure juices, white sugar, honey). I would also attempt to very slowly add skim milk, maybe 1oz per day, RP says that slowly increasing milk, almost everybody can add it back into their diet. You could look into lactose free to start as well. Milk and sugar will be very helpful in the long run.

Orion

I have also noted painful swelling of the nipples, where they crack. A benadryl usually helps this subside within a day.

Bad digestion increases serotonin and histamine, which will effect estrogen levels. Cyprohepdatine is another useful antihistamine.

OP
U

Uncaged

Bad digestion increases serotonin and histamine, which will effect estrogen levels. Cyprohepdatine is another useful antihistamine.

I'm positive that my digestion is horrible.

Of course I'm making this harder than it really has to be, because I am constantly questioning everything, including my own beliefs. I would like to believe it's a healthy skepticism however, sometimes I feel like it would be easier to just give in.

I am transitioning from eating huge portions of everything, especially muscle meats and refined foods. I used to shovel down several double and triple burgers in a sitting, or eat 4-5 hot pockets. It was always easy to take several servings per day of protein powder, as well. Then I gravitated toward the GAPS style diet, and demonized carbs and sugar. So this is taking some getting used to, and not having readily available food ideas, is testing my sanity. Lol.

Don't mistake my skepticism as being ungrateful for your input. I'm very grateful.

OP
U

Uncaged

Re: Milk - Do you think that I should experiment with continuing to drink it, even though I'm having allergic reactions to it, with the assumption that my body should eventually adjust?

Orion

Re: Milk - Do you think that I should experiment with continuing to drink it, even though I'm having allergic reactions to it, with the assumption that my body should eventually adjust?

Avoiding PUFA will really help digestion, it is a major irritant.

RP mentions that allergic reactions come from digestive tract bacteria. So continuing raw carrot, cooked bamboo shoots away from meal, using penicillin or tetracycline if available should help. Benadryl and cypro would be helpful as well to reduce serotonin and histamine.

But bringing up metabolism with sugar, coconut oil will help. Best to maybe do 1oz milk per day, monitor reaction, then increase when stable to 2oz.

If milk continues to be a problem, using egg shell powder or a pure calcium carbonate supplement, 2,000mg per day will be helpful.

Rebreathing into a paper bag, for 1-2mins, 2-3 times per day can help increase CO2 and help with inflammation as well. As can taking 1tsp of baking soda with your juice a couple times per day.

OP
U

Uncaged

As I'm increasing sugar intake, I've noticed increased digestive distress (nausea, pain in stomach and intestines, and gas/bloating). Also steadily increasing inflammation (psoriasis).

I'm currently taking one benadryl tab per day (at night), and one aspirin in the morning (Bayer 325mg). Do you think an increase would be helpful?

Also, would you think adding Progesterone would help, or should I wait until thyroid normalizes?

I feel like my body is struggling with the absorption of protein, and fats. Regardless of protein intake, I will remain sore for weeks after a light workout.

Last edited:

Orion

As I'm increasing sugar intake, I've noticed increased digestive distress (nausea, pain in stomach and intestines, and gas/bloating). Also steadily increasing inflammation (psoriasis).

I'm currently taking one benadryl tab per day (at night), and one aspirin in the morning (Bayer 325mg). Do you think an increase would be helpful?

Also, would you think adding Progesterone would help, or should I wait until thyroid normalizes?

I feel like my body is struggling with the absorption of protein, and fats. Regardless of protein intake, I will remain sore for weeks after a light workout.

I found with me, aspirin or B3 didn't help, when you relied on stress hormones and FFA for energy, blocking FFA with aspirin can backfire. They caused me real issues with quality sleep, as blocking the FFA's drained my liver sugar stores, which were are very low in hypothyroidism. I have a feeling that people overloaded with PUFA and estrogen issues have to decrease these with diet first, then B3 and aspirin could help when PUFA levels have been significantly reduced.

I would stick with pregnenolone and DHEA if male, but I believe the same as above applies, they backfire for me, too much PUFA/estrogen in the beginning shunts them to progesterone -> cortisol and DHEA -> estrogen(T aromatizing to E). This is just my feeling as they do not work for me and some other members have posted negative results. Experimentation is key, monitoring sleep quality, temps, pulse when trying them out.

I did use Betaine HCL for a couple weeks, to help get stomach acid up, this could be helpful.

OP
U

Uncaged

I found with me, aspirin or B3 didn't help, when you relied on stress hormones and FFA for energy, blocking FFA with aspirin can backfire. They caused me real issues with quality sleep, as blocking the FFA's drained my liver sugar stores, which were are very low in hypothyroidism. I have a feeling that people overloaded with PUFA and estrogen issues have to decrease these with diet first, then B3 and aspirin could help when PUFA levels have been significantly reduced.

I would stick with pregnenolone and DHEA if male, but I believe the same as above applies, they backfire for me, too much PUFA/estrogen in the beginning shunts them to progesterone -> cortisol and DHEA -> estrogen(T aromatizing to E). This is just my feeling as they do not work for me and some other members have posted negative results. Experimentation is key, monitoring sleep quality, temps, pulse when trying them out.

I did use Betaine HCL for a couple weeks, to help get stomach acid up, this could be helpful.

Appreciate that input! I'm pretty sure that could have something to do with the additional fatigue I've had lately. I had noticed that when I would eat high fat foods, such as fresh raw creme, or Chipotle chicken and steak burrito bowls, I would have quite a bit of energy (with accompanying anxiety). Could be a sign that my body was relying on fat for fuel.

I got back into crossfit for a short time, after some time off, and my body literally gave out on me. Despite drinking a fruit smoothie loaded with carbs and sugar, I would reach a point (after about 5 min of intense work) where I would get dizzy, lightheaded, heart beat would become faint and my vision would fade and become fuzzy. I passed out a couple times and according to those around me I was pale white.

My doctor believed it was an issue with too much adrenaline, or excessive heart rate (which he gave me a beta blocker to slow my HR). It didn't help and I had to quit.

Looking back, I think it may have been my body using up liver stores (which were slim due to low thyroid) and then failing.

OP
U

Uncaged

I have increased sugar intake, and I've also integrated an additive free Apple juice (trader joes). Three things that I've noticed: My palms, especially the calluses at the base of each finger are bright orange, as are my feet, I have increased pain in my lower left abdomen and intestine, and I have noticed an onset of increased depression like symptoms. Thoughts? @Orion @haidut

Orion

I have increased sugar intake, and I've also integrated an additive free Apple juice (trader joes). Three things that I've noticed: My palms, especially the calluses at the base of each finger are bright orange, as are my feet, I have increased pain in my lower left abdomen and intestine, and I have noticed an onset of increased depression like symptoms. Thoughts? @Orion @haidut

Bright orange, would probably mean you have too much vitamin A in your system. This could happen from too carotene (vegetables), or from supplementing vit A. Do you rinse the raw carrot salad?

A B12 deficiency will cause carotene to not be turned into active vitamin A.

Intestinal pain could be from undigested food causing endotoxin, increasing serotonin and affecting mood. Maybe try cooked mushrooms or activated charcoal instead of raw carrot.

Calcium and magnesium are helpful to keep the bowels moving, eggshell and well cooked green leaves, consuming its broth could be helpful.

OP
U

Uncaged

Bright orange, would probably mean you have too much vitamin A in your system. This could happen from too carotene (vegetables), or from supplementing vit A. Do you rinse the raw carrot salad?

A B12 deficiency will cause carotene to not be turned into active vitamin A.

Intestinal pain could be from undigested food causing endotoxin, increasing serotonin and affecting mood. Maybe try cooked mushrooms or activated charcoal instead of raw carrot.

Calcium and magnesium are helpful to keep the bowels moving, eggshell and well cooked green leaves, consuming its broth could be helpful.

They have been orange for years, even before I started eating the raw carrots, supplementing, and adding liver/oysters once per week. I did supplement with vitamin A for a short time (2 months), until I noticed the brighter hue of orange and that it had spread.

Any specific species of mushroom, and should I combine that with charcoal?

I do take a calcium supplement, as well as magnesium. I take 1000mg of calcium and 1000mg of magnesium daily. 500mg morning and 500mg night of each. The ones I take are as follows:

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/calcium-citrate-complex-250-mg-100-capsules/vs-1078

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/magnesium-triple-source-500-mg-100-tablets/ka-1081