Why Is Consuming Lot Of Milk Result To Fat Gain By Lot Of People?

Runenight201

Are you lactose intolerant? Was it skim, whole, 1%, etc milk?

I can handle milk up to a certain point, after which it causes digestive distress. But any food has its threshold past which further consumption has negative effects for me, so I wouldn’t say I’m lactose intolerant. It’s not like I’m running to the bathroom after drinking milk, although if I have too much milk I will start getting stomach gurgling and gas. If you’re referring to my depressive episode with the milk jug, I think that was 2% milk. Now a days I usually use 2% in my coffee. I’ve been eating cereal with 2% also but I think I’m going to drop that as it doesn’t satiate me to the pit of my stomach. If I had to choose I’d rather eat milk and cereal than rice and vegetables. It sure does taste good. And make me strong as hell. But my favorite nourishment comes from my soup. That warms my body better than anything I’ve found so far, but there’s even a threshold on that, and I have to supplement my diet with other foods.

pauljacob

I don't drink milk (except 3 tablespoons evaporated milk in my morning coffee), but I use whole milk to make yogurt, which I eat daily. I also make Kefir from whole milk, and I drink two-three glasses per week. My question is does converting milk to yogurt or Kefir change its nutritional and/or metabolic effect on the body?

boris

I don't drink milk (except 3 tablespoons evaporated milk in my morning coffee), but I use whole milk to make yogurt, which I eat daily. I also make Kefir from whole milk, and I drink two-three glasses per week. My question is does converting milk to yogurt or Kefir change its nutritional and/or metabolic effect on the body?

Depends on the yoghurt. Lactic acid is anti-metabolic.

Ray Peat:
"A spoonful or two of acidic yogurt isn't harmful, but a cupful of the
acidic type can be enough to deplete the liver's energy stores
because lactic acid is converted to glucose in the liver, requiring
energy. The "strained" type that isn't acidic is similar to cottage
cheese and is safe."

&

T

TheBeard

Because they use pasteurized homogenized milk, which is dead food and causes a host of issues including weight gain.

On a gallon of organic raw milk a day, I do have a slightly upset bowel but I gain only muscle, no fat at all

baccheion

Because they use pasteurized homogenized milk, which is dead food and causes a host of issues including weight gain.

On a gallon of organic raw milk a day, I do have a slightly upset bowel but I gain only muscle, no fat at all
How many calories overall (and over maintenance)? What else do you eat? What macros? Any gym time? How long have you been gaining from milk? Verified by DEXA (or similar) scan?

T

TheBeard

How many calories overall (and over maintenance)? What macros? Any gym time? How long? Verified by DEXA (or similar) scan?

I never counted calories or macros in my life.
All I can say is muscle fullness results are noticeable after two days of a diet consisting of a gallon of raw milk and around 500g raw meat a day. That's all I eat in a day.
After 8 days on this diet, still not visible fat gained

baccheion

I never counted calories or macros in my life.
All I can say is muscle fullness results are noticeable after two days of a diet consisting of a gallon of raw milk and around 500g raw meat a day. That's all I eat in a day.
After 8 days on this diet, still not visible fat gained
What happened when you consumed that much regular milk?

Aymen

so if milk is so fattening by people, why RP than still recommending drinking milk????
i used to drink whole milk when i was physically active without fat gain, i stick to 1.5% right now.

RP doesn't recommand whole milk.
here is a quote from him:
"I have heard from several people that they think I recommend drinking whole milk, which I don't, because the amount of fat in whole milk is very likely to be fattening when a person is using it to get the needed protein and calcium."

OP
berk

berk

Here 2 studys.
one says, dairy is good, other says, dairy is bad.
This is confusing... :shifty:

High intakes of milk, but not meat, increase s-insulin and insulin resistance in 8-year-old boys

https://www.nature.com/articles/1602086

Researchers found that patients who ate the most dairy fat, from things like cream, whole milk, and butter, had a 60% lower risk of developing diabetes than patients eating the least dairy fat.

https://www.latimes.com/style/la-xpm-2010-dec-20-la-heb-dairy-diabetes-122010-story.html

boris

Berk, this is true for most aspects of nutrition and health. Do you know Peat's article about milk?

pauljacob

Depends on the yoghurt. Lactic acid is anti-metabolic.

Ray Peat:
"A spoonful or two of acidic yogurt isn't harmful, but a cupful of the
acidic type can be enough to deplete the liver's energy stores
because lactic acid is converted to glucose in the liver, requiring
energy. The "strained" type that isn't acidic is similar to cottage
cheese and is safe."

&

Thank you boris. In naturally-made yoghurt, Lactic acid floats to the top of the container, and I simply tip the container to pour the acid out and scoop my daily portion. Next day, more Lactic acid had floated to the surface and I pour it out. As to Kefir, I ferment it long enough for the Lactic acid to separate completely from the Kefir, with the acid occupying half the jar and the Kefir and the grains floating on that.
Question: what exactly is anti-metabolic? I did a search for the term and all that came out is "antimetabolites" drugs that interfere with cancer medicines.

OP
berk

berk

Berk, this is true for most aspects of nutrition and health. Do you know Peat's article about milk?

"In recent years there have been studies showing that regular milk drinkers are less fat than people who don't drink it. Although the high quality protein and saturated fat undoubtedly contribute to milk's anti-obesity effect, the high calcium content is probably the main factor." (RP)

I am here a week or so registered and research my **** off and have learnt a lot.
But i also notice that ray says a lot, but practice by lot of forum members here proves otherwise.
(And I'm not just talking about the milk)

Last edited:

Zoiros

Perhaps I’m the odd man out, but when I began to incorporate Peat dietary principles 3 years ago, mainly milk/oj, I lost significant amounts of fat.

I only drink fat free milk, at least 1 quart a day, and it’s kept me in the leanest state of my life. When I began drinking fat free milk daily, on a low fat diet, I went from 240 to 175 in about 6 months.

I personally need milk on a daily basis or I start developing hypothyroid-like symptoms, slow digestion, cold, and in a general low energy state.

When I was overweight and suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome, I was in the habit of staying up late, until 3-4 in the morning. But after I found Peat, I became a morning person, usually waking up at 5-6 am and going to sleep around 10 pm.

Milk makes me energized and productive, I wouldn’t get very far without it.

I usually drink the cheap stuff. Although I sometimes buy organic fat free or the fair life stuff, just because the taste is a little different.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals