Why Is Consuming Lot Of Milk Result To Fat Gain By Lot Of People?

OP
berk

berk

Perhaps I’m the odd man out, but when I began to incorporate Peat dietary principles 3 years ago, mainly milk/oj, I lost significant amounts of fat.

I only drink fat free milk, at least 1 quart a day, and it’s kept me in the leanest state of my life. When I began drinking fat free milk daily, on a low fat diet, I went from 240 to 175 in about 6 months.

I personally need milk on a daily basis or I start developing hypothyroid-like symptoms, slow digestion, cold, and in a general low energy state.
Milk makes me energized and productive, I wouldn’t get very far without it.
its not persee the milk thats do that but the sugar ;-)

milkboi

Perhaps I’m the odd man out, but when I began to incorporate Peat dietary principles 3 years ago, mainly milk/oj, I lost significant amounts of fat.

I only drink fat free milk, at least 1 quart a day, and it’s kept me in the leanest state of my life. When I began drinking fat free milk daily, on a low fat diet, I went from 240 to 175 in about 6 months.

I personally need milk on a daily basis or I start developing hypothyroid-like symptoms, slow digestion, cold, and in a general low energy state.

When I was overweight and suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome, I was in the habit of staying up late, until 3-4 in the morning. But after I found Peat, I became a morning person, usually waking up at 5-6 am and going to sleep around 10 pm.

I usually drink the cheap stuff. Although I sometimes buy organic fat free or the fair life stuff, just because the taste is a little different.

What did you do to get rid of CFS besides milk?

Jing

Because they use pasteurized homogenized milk, which is dead food and causes a host of issues including weight gain.

On a gallon of organic raw milk a day, I do have a slightly upset bowel but I gain only muscle, no fat at all
How much are you spending on raw milk ? Here in the UK a gallon would cost me about 25 pounds lol

Zoiros

What did you do to get rid of CFS besides milk?

Very low fat, high protein from milk, gelatin, some casein. Citrus fruits, OJ. Salt, coffee, aspirin, chamomile, honey. Strict pufa avoidance. Body weight x .7 is the minimum grams of protein I used per day.

Body fat is the enemy. Get rid of that fat and you’ll be moving again.

Basically I was doing my own version of PSMF, just many more carbs, less fat to avoid ketosis/stress response.

Sunlight helps. Even when just laying down.

Mag glycinate, k2, ginger, d-limonene, were effective supplements.

RWilly

Very low fat, high protein from milk, gelatin, some casein. Citrus fruits, OJ. Salt, coffee, aspirin, chamomile, honey. Strict pufa avoidance. Body weight x .7 is the minimum grams of protein I used per day.

Body fat is the enemy. Get rid of that fat and you’ll be moving again.

Basically I was doing my own version of PSMF, just many more carbs, less fat to avoid ketosis/stress response.

Sunlight helps. Even when just laying down.

Mag glycinate, k2, ginger, d-limonene, were effective supplements.
Are you eating meat?

Zoiros

Are you eating meat?

I eat grass fed beef liver and muscle meat on occasion, but not often enough to call it a staple.

I was referring to my diet when overcoming CFS and obesity, which was much more strict.

I eat a more balanced diet now, with a little more variety in it.

jzeno

I drink tons of full fat lactose-free milk and have gained weight from 180ish to 200+ish. Before, when I drank lower fat milk, weight gain was non existent. It's the fat more than the protein or sugar, which is why Peat suggest low fat milks in order to avoid weight gain because he says excessive fat can lead to health issues and humans don't need much fat.

This seems simple and has been covered hundreds of times before. Not sure what the confusion is about.

Constatine

Could have sworn Peat said once that cheese and whole milk can make you fat. Which makes sense because fat as a macronutrient has a tendency to be the most fattening macronutrient quite unironically.

CLASH

Could have sworn Peat said once that cheese and whole milk can make you fat. Which makes sense because fat as a macronutrient has a tendency to be the most fattening macronutrient quite unironically.

I disagree. This and the randle cycle interpretations are mythologies of the Ray Peat forum

victormgc

Simply because milk has a considerable amount of fat, which makes it high in calories. If you eat more calories than your body use, you're gonna put on weight.

CLASH

Simply because milk has a considerable amount of fat, which makes it high in calories. If you eat more calories than your body use, you're gonna put on weight.

I dont think its a calorie issue either. The body can adjust burn rate of calories up and down depending on metabolic health. Plus, the body regulates caloric intake by adjusting hunger levels. Milk causes weight gain, largely outside of the fat content and the calories. It is constructed quite specifically to induce weight gain. There are many factors in milk beyond calories, fat, protein and carbs. These variables are too simple to explain the effect in my opinion. Its like trying to explain the features of a house only knowing its monetary value.

EDIT: By weight gain, I dont only mean fat gain, I think it can increase lean mass as well. I see milk as an overall tissue builder. For bones, muscles, GI tract and fat stores. What I think makes the difference for people is tolerance to milk. I think quite a few people have issues with cow milk and it pushes them in a particular direction physiologically. Goat milk may be a better alternative. Goat milk did not make me "fat" per say, just thick. Whereas, cow milk produced quite a bit of body fat with lean mass. I reached 220lbs on cow milk from my resting weight of 175-180lbs.

Last edited:

Constatine

I disagree. This and the randle cycle interpretations are mythologies of the Ray Peat forum
Disagree that he said this or disagree that fat as a macronutrient tends to lead to fat gain (assuming not at a caloric deficit or a carb absent diet)?

Edit: Assuming the former whats your overall views on macronutrient ratios in regards to body composition?

Last edited:
OP
berk

berk

you have right. But only if you can't tolerate fat
If you don't tolerate it, body spike stress hormones like cortisol and that makes a person fat.
Thats why some people notice fatt loss on fatty foods and others don't.
Actually, this is the case with all food, this is the reason why I always advise never to take over someone else's diet because big change someone else react differently (negative) on it.
There's no such thing as a perfect diet for everyone.

Last edited:

CLASH

Disagree that he said this or disagree that fat as a macronutrient tends to lead to fat gain (assuming not at a caloric deficit or a carb absent diet)?

Edit: Assuming the former whats your overall views on macronutrient ratios in regards to body composition?

Which makes sense because fat as a macronutrient has a tendency to be the most fattening macronutrient quite unironically.

I've heard Peat say it a few times. I disagree with Peat and with the statement I quoted.

As for my views on macro ratios, I think that a threshold for protein must be met. Then in my personal experience I like to have atleast 2:1 carbs to protein and I adjust upwards based on activity. For fat I hover around 40% but not as a rule, just broke out that way based on how much I've found works for me. I dont follow macro ratios for their own sake, I follow amounts that I have found that have worked and put them in macro ratios after.

T

TheBeard

Still lots of money thats about 178 pounds a month lol

It's almost the only thing I'm having all day.
Compare that to cooking or eating out which results in almost double that easily on a western diet.

When I was overweight and suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome, I was in the habit of staying up late, until 3-4 in the morning. But after I found Peat, I became a morning person, usually waking up at 5-6 am and going to sleep around 10 pm.

I usually drink the cheap stuff. Although I sometimes buy organic fat free or the fair life stuff, just because the taste is a little different.

very useful. Thank you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals