Stumped On Frequent Urination

OP
F

firebreather

GAF said:
post 109296 I don't ever really remember smelling my pee. What I do remember is all the fun I had racing to find the nearest bushes on the golf course. And, there are few things worse than waking up at night to pee and only being able to dribble..

:hattip Thank you GAF

Last edited by a moderator:

Shredder2

Maybe you're just more hydrated when eating high water content foods like fruit and milk, thus clearer urine.

Sea

firebreather said:
I just peed in a cup so I could smell (I know, gross) and oddly enough it smelled quite sweet - not at all like urine smells. Does that point to anything?

This means you are deficient in carbohydrate. Try eating a lot more fructose(honey, concentrated juice, ect) more frequently throughout the day and especially if you wake up at night.

OP
F

firebreather

Sea said:
post 109321
firebreather said:
I just peed in a cup so I could smell (I know, gross) and oddly enough it smelled quite sweet - not at all like urine smells. Does that point to anything?

This means you are deficient in carbohydrate. Try eating a lot more fructose(honey, concentrated juice, ect) more frequently throughout the day and especially if you wake up at night.

Wow that is hard to swallow because I've really been getting after it with white sugar and fruits. But I'll specifically try more honey and concentrated juices.

Are you saying to have these things when I wake up in the middle of the night as well or that having more during the day will help with the night time waking?

Brian

Sea said:
post 109321
firebreather said:

Not necessarily. It could also be a potassium, magnesium, Vitamin B1 deficiency. High free fatty acids/insulin resistance. Something disrupting the Randle cycle.

Fatty liver could possibly be inhibiting fructose metabolism. If that's the case I think the best thing to do is to drop most fructose and fat and instead eat refined salty dry starch for your carbs while taking at least 200mg caffeine per day to clear out your liver.

J

jb116

There's two sides to the story as effect and as condition. Sugar in the urine is indicative of wasting it like in diabetes. As an effect one would eventually be low in glucose. But not as the condition causing high levels in the urine. However since there is sugar there, it can't be dismissed that thete is possibly an overall lack of carb. Again though, as to address why it's happening Brian mentioned some worthy things.

OP
F

firebreather

Brian said:
post 109351
Sea said:
post 109321
firebreather said:

Not necessarily. It could also be a potassium, magnesium, Vitamin B1 deficiency. High free fatty acids/insulin resistance. Something disrupting the Randle cycle.

Fatty liver could possibly be inhibiting fructose metabolism.

That's interesting.

My sleep really took a dive a few years ago when I went low carb (and high fat) after I had been doing paleo for a while.

A quick google search though seems to point to low carb diets being good for fatty liver.

Brian

firebreather said:
post 109358
Brian said:
post 109351
Sea said:
post 109321
firebreather said:

Fatty liver could possibly be inhibiting fructose metabolism.

That's interesting.

My sleep really took a dive a few years ago when I went low carb (and high fat) after I had been doing paleo for a while.

A quick google search though seems to point to low carb diets being good for fatty liver.

It depends. A high PUFA low carb diet usually causes fatty liver, while a completely saturated high fat diet usually helps reverse it. But liver problems can also happen from any high stress that forces free fatty acid release that might be stored PUFA and cause insulin resistance, which is another main reason why you may not be using carbs well.

OrangeJuice

Brian said:
post 109274 firebreather wrote:

I don't know for sure, but I associate that with low magnesium, potassium, and/or sodium. Possibly the body rejecting excess carbs because it has no way to metabolize them. Not sure if that's always correct though.

If your pee is sweet then your Brix measurement is probably up above 4,5 or 6, which is too high. You should get a Brix Refractometer and measure your urine. Learn and study some RBTI to get a handle on your blood sugar regulation and body PH measurements (urine and saliva).

I'd start adding things like Blackstrap Molasses to your diet to re-mineralize. That helped me immensely.

I hope your not eating gigantic dinners late in the evening. I'm not sure what your eating habits are and such, but have a nice carby breakfast, protein filled lunch, and a light, vegetarian dinner (no sweets or meats after 2pm) and your blood sugar will start stabilizing.

Why the heck are you eating 5000 calories to begin with?

I wouldn't be playing wack-a-mole with these Peatarian ideas of 'trying Aspirin and Biotin and Niacinamide ...maybe those will do something.'

OP
F

firebreather

OrangeJuice said:
post 109395
Brian said:
post 109274 firebreather wrote:

I don't know for sure, but I associate that with low magnesium, potassium, and/or sodium. Possibly the body rejecting excess carbs because it has no way to metabolize them. Not sure if that's always correct though.

If your pee is sweet then your Brix measurement is probably up above 4,5 or 6, which is too high. You should get a Brix Refractometer and measure your urine. Learn and study some RBTI to get a handle on your blood sugar regulation and body PH measurements (urine and saliva).

I'd start adding things like Blackstrap Molasses to your diet to re-mineralize. That helped me immensely.

I hope your not eating gigantic dinners late in the evening. I'm not sure what your eating habits are and such, but have a nice carby breakfast, protein filled lunch, and a light, vegetarian dinner (no sweets or meats after 2pm) and your blood sugar will start stabilizing.

Why the heck are you eating 5000 calories to begin with?

I wouldn't be playing wack-a-mole with these Peatarian ideas of 'trying Aspirin and Biotin and Niacinamide ...maybe those will do something.'

Thank you for writing.

On days that I'm moving around a lot I eat that much.

I think my blood sugar is fine.

An hr after eating it's around 180 and 2 hours after eating it's around 120.

Can you explain the blackstrap molasses more?

Sea

firebreather said:
post 109345
Sea said:
post 109321
firebreather said:

Wow that is hard to swallow because I've really been getting after it with white sugar and fruits. But I'll specifically try more honey and concentrated juices.

Are you saying to have these things when I wake up in the middle of the night as well or that having more during the day will help with the night time waking?

This is very basic. If you wake up at night it is because your liver ran out of sugar and your stress hormones increased to compensate for the deficiency. If you wake up in the middle of the night it is pretty vital to consume more sugar. When your stress hormones are high fats are being oxidized for energy and all the damage is being done so I would eat at least 300 calories of sugar if you wake up at night. And, I would make sure to eat a lot of sugar before bed if this is happening to you. You also may want to increase your caffeine intake during the day so that your liver starts to flush out fat/toxins which will allow it to store more sugar so you can make it through the night in the future.

OP
F

firebreather

Sea said:
post 109738
firebreather said:
post 109345
Sea said:
post 109321
firebreather said:

This is very basic. If you wake up at night it is because your liver ran out of sugar and your stress hormones increased to compensate for the deficiency. If you wake up in the middle of the night it is pretty vital to consume more sugar. When your stress hormones are high fats are being oxidized for energy and all the damage is being done so I would eat at least 300 calories of sugar if you wake up at night. And, I would make sure to eat a lot of sugar before bed if this is happening to you. You also may want to increase your caffeine intake during the day so that your liver starts to flush out fat/toxins which will allow it to store more sugar so you can make it through the night in the future.

This makes sense and I've considered it at least a thousand times and have tried to fix it with sugar among other things.

But more sugar doesn't seem to fix the problem.

I usually wake up around 2 or 3am no matter what I have during the day or evening but last night I woke up at 1am even though at 9:30 I had a PB&J sandwich with honey, and about 2 cups of very sweet homemade apple sauce.

Maybe that snack before bed wasn't enough, I see that 300 calories of sugar would be nearly half a cup?

So just to make sure I understand, you're suggesting that I eat something before bed with half cup worth of sugar?

But then there are the rare occasions like the other day when taking the suggestion of another poster here (Brian) that I didn't eat anything past 7pm and then I slept until 4:30. Again that's rare, I've tried this many times and woke up at the normal 2 or 3am-ish

tara

While I was experimenting with RBTI, I was surprised to discover that I could sleep through the night most nights when I ate most of my food before 2pm and more lightly in the afternoon and evening. Peat also advises more protein earlier in the day, and not so much in the evening.
Hasn't been happening lately, and wasn't happening when I was more rigorous about eating early, but when I was waking up in the night, it only took a small snack to get me back to sleep - 2 dates or a couple of biscuits.
One of the reasons I backed of from applying more RBTI-inspired meal-timing was purely logistical. It was hard to find time enough early in the day to eat enough, and so if I didn't eat more later I was not getting enough overall. But I think it might be a really good thing for me at least if I could pull it off.

I think both RBTI and Peat consider getting adequate minerals to be important. The minor and trace ones too.

I don't think peanut butter used to do much good for me.

OP
F

firebreather

tara said:
post 109853 While I was experimenting with RBTI, I was surprised to discover that I could sleep through the night most nights when I ate most of my food before 2pm and more lightly in the afternoon and evening. Peat also advises more protein earlier in the day, and not so much in the evening.
Hasn't been happening lately, and wasn't happening when I was more rigorous about eating early, but when I was waking up in the night, it only took a small snack to get me back to sleep - 2 dates or a couple of biscuits.
One of the reasons I backed of from applying more RBTI-inspired meal-timing was purely logistical. It was hard to find time enough early in the day to eat enough, and so if I didn't eat more later I was not getting enough overall. But I think it might be a really good thing for me at least if I could pull it off.

I think both RBTI and Peat consider getting adequate minerals to be important. The minor and trace ones too.

Thank you for posting Tara

I usually don't have trouble getting back to sleep when I wake up unless I'm at work and get woken up to go on a call.

However I will say that once I wake up around 3am my sleep from then on is typically crappy

OP
F

firebreather

tara said:
post 109853 While I was experimenting with RBTI, I was surprised to discover that I could sleep through the night most nights when I ate most of my food before 2pm and more lightly in the afternoon and evening. Peat also advises more protein earlier in the day, and not so much in the evening.

tara,

concerning RBTI, I've been reading a bit about it.

One of the big differences between RBTI and Peat seems to be eating for metabolism.

If I don't eat every 2 to 3 hours I can really see a difference in body temp and pulse.

How do you reconcile this with RBTI?

tara

I have
firebreather said:
post 109915 One of the big differences between RBTI and Peat seems to be eating for metabolism.

If I don't eat every 2 to 3 hours I can really see a difference in body temp and pulse.

How do you reconcile this with RBTI?

I only did beginning study of RBTI - it is much more complex than I managed to learn. If I'd been able to figure out how to get the full set of tests here, I would probably have tried to get a consultation at a distance. I eventually gave up on trying to pursue it more fully, but I think it may have real value in at least some situations, and some of what I learned I think has been helpful. I got a pH meter and strips, a conductivity meter and a refractometer. Those tests are easy, and I did them many times.

I think Reams was focused on liver and pancreatic function and tissue repair, and by keeping those basic physical parameters in range, that is supposed to to support these. My guess is that he would say that if you can get all the minerals to the cells that need them, and adequate minerals and vitamins, they will restore body tissues and functions including endocrine, and therefore full metabolism. Peat also recognises the importance of supplying adequate minerals. I think RBTI would not be so keen to recommend hormone supplements, because they can artificially push the system in an unsustainable direction.But I have not heard much about that, so I don't know if it was general or just a particular case I read about.

Tissue pH affects mineral absorption and use. Peat and Reams both point to pretty much the same slightly acidic ideal UpH range (unlike many others who aim for alkaline UpH).

RBTI aim for enough usable protein for rebuilding and liver function, without overwhelming with too much ammonia. This seems consistent with Peat's ideas.

Wrt blood sugar, both the RBTI approach and Peat favour maintaining adequate blood sugar. For people prone to low blood sugar, RBTI would (taking into consideration all the other test numbers) sometimes advise drinking juice every 1/2 hour or hour instead of water, and when drinking lemonade, to sweeten it adequately to keep a continuous supply of sugar to the liver etc. This seems consistent with Peat.

I think they would differ on how to treat hyperglycemia, but there are also similarities. They would probably both advise limiting bread and high starch foods in favour of more fruit etc, and supplying plenty of magnesium in usable forms, though RBTI would use green juices for this and Peat would favour green broth. Both favour approaches that improve ability to use sugar, not just restricting sugar.

I don't know what the general RBTI approach is to anorexia etc and resultant low metabolism, but I did read one story that involved never drinking any water, only juice, and a major recovery. I don't know what the rest of her diet was. It is such a detailed individual approach, with a lot of knowledge about chemistry and effects of different foods, and a diet prescribed for one person is not likely to be optimal for the next.

I guess you saw the forum thread on RBTI? Jennifer took the RBTI further, and had a practitioner who also her to eat liver and coconut oil.

HLP

Eating more frequently during the day, drinking smaller amounts of water (no more than 4oz) at a time and avoiding water consumption past 6pm seem to be making a difference for my husband. He previously would wake 3 or 4 time per night to pee small amounts. I would not drink anything overnight at all, but think a bit of sugar at the first episode of unwanted peeing could prevent further interruptions. I believe it's related to hypoglycemia, so have a snack before bedtime. Cheese appears to be helpful at night. Even small improvements will lead you in the right direction.

tara

Do you see other conflicts between the two approaches when it comes to improving metabolism?

OP
F

firebreather

tara said:
post 109976 Do you see other conflicts between the two approaches when it comes to improving metabolism?

I really appreciate your posts tara.

I don't think I know enough about RBTI to say.

I just know when I don't eat carbs every few hrs things seem to get worse.

I've got the nighttime urination down to just once but I still feel like crap during the day, ESPECIALLY after lunch.

I can't help but wonder if even when I am sleeping that I'm getting very little deep sleep.

But I did eat a very sugary carby breakfast, less at lunch and now a pretty small dinner.

I'll see how it goes tonight.

tara

If the urine brix is prone to dropping below 1, I think the RBTI practitioners would recommend drinking juice or sweetened drink every half hour from rising and for the next 12 hrs to try to prevent this. How much fluids to drink depends on size, and I don't recall the formula, but for me a couple of years ago, I think it worked out at around 100ml every half hour, for about 2400ml per day. This is probably slightly less than I normally drink. That's a lot different than having no carbs for a few hours.

For me, I just couldn't get organised to eat enough at breakfast and lunch to make it work. But I still try to have my biggest solid protein meal at lunchtime, and this works much better for me than having it for dinner, which is customary here.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals