What mechanism of Phenibut would cause an increase in urine concentration?

Callmestar

I have an ongoing health problem of dehydration from an inability to concentrate urine or retain fluids. My urine is always clear and frequent, I am always thirsty with a dry mouth. I've gone down all of the usual suspected pathways as to what could be causing this but have not found any answers. I've already made a thread about my health issue so don't want to bother you all with it again but wondered if you might be able to help with this very specific question on Phenibut.

Absolutely nothing has helped my symptoms other than a random discovery that in the days after taking phenibut my urine becomes darker and I am more hydrated. That and vigorous, exercise / heat / sweating are the only things I have ever seen cause my urine to have any sort of colour.

I used to take phenibut at weekends as an experiment to replace alcohol, as with these symptoms, alcohol just destroys me in terms of dehydration. I stopped taking it as I wasn't particularly experiencing any positive psychological effects. If anything it was making me feel strange and more anxious. I'd get home and feel utterly dreadful and full of panic. It also used to give me a terrible burning bloated pain in the stomach. In the days after though, I noticed a massive reduction in my urination, my urine became dark and concentrated when at all other times it is completely clear.

My question is, what mechasim in phenibut could be causing the increase urine concentration, as I desperately need to replicate it. I genuinely do not believe it's anything to do with a reduction in anxiety as Phenibut if anything increased my anxiety as I felt odd/strange on it. There must be some way it changes my system that causes retention in fluids. Increases Vasopressin, Aldosterone? Does something to the kidney? Could the burning in the stomach be in any way related? If anyone has any idea it may just save my health from deteriorating any further.

OP
C

Callmestar

Anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can find is Phenibut working on GABA receptors but cannot see that this has much of an impact on increasing urine concentration/decreasing volume.

OP
C

Callmestar

Just giving this one last bump on the off chance someone might have an idea.

ThinPicking

My best guess here, looking at some analogues.

Redirecting - 'Effects of "in vivo" administration of baclofen on rat renal tubular function'
https://doi.org/10.1038/sc.2009.105 - 'Oral baclofen administration in persons with chronic spinal cord injury does not prevent the protective effects of spasticity on body composition and glucose homeostasis'

Initial vasopressin inhibition, urinary loss of fluid, sodium and potassium. Probably rebound vasopressin release, retention of solute-free water, a kind of SIADH. So initial diuresis followed by increased urine osmolality.

Pregabalin in Neuropathic Pain: Evidences and Possible Mechanisms - 'Pregabalin in Neuropathic Pain: Evidences and Possible Mechanisms'

At the same time, calcium channel inhibition, vasodilation and interstitial fluid retention.

Even with abuse, I'd expect this to go away with good salty food, sugar, good rest and moderated fluid consumption. Certainly don't take it again.

Last edited:
OP
C

Callmestar

My best guess here, looking at some analogues.

Redirecting - 'Effects of "in vivo" administration of baclofen on rat renal tubular function'
https://doi.org/10.1038/sc.2009.105 - 'Oral baclofen administration in persons with chronic spinal cord injury does not prevent the protective effects of spasticity on body composition and glucose homeostasis'

Initial vasopressin inhibition, urinary loss of fluid, sodium and potassium. Probably rebound vasopressin release, retention of solute-free water, a kind of SIADH. So initial diuresis followed by increased urine osmolality.

Pregabalin in Neuropathic Pain: Evidences and Possible Mechanisms - 'Pregabalin in Neuropathic Pain: Evidences and Possible Mechanisms'

At the same time, calcium channel inhibition, vasodilation and interstitial fluid retention.

Even with abuse, I'd expect this to go away with good salty food, sugar, good rest and moderated fluid consumption. Certainly don't take it again.

Thanks for the response. The question was actually made because Phenibut appeared to help with me concentrating urine, which I don't appear to be able to do normally. Rather than phenibut causing a problem.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals