Post Penicillin (?) IBS/leakygut-like, lower intestine/upper pubic area pain, GERD, nausea. Have some possible solutions Please Help

Hairfedup

Hey guys, I'm trying to keep this short and sweet because I've been trying to post for help here for over a month but end up overwhelmed and just leaving it in my drafts. Really hoping you can help me out as I'm on the edge right now.

I took some penicillin I had lying around for 5 days after tooth removal (I was in a lot of pain) but God knows if I had an infection or not - I couldn't afford to return to the dentist. Not smart I guess but penicillin is safe as far as I knew. I was also taking a massive amount of K complex during and after tooth removal. A week after taking the antibiotics I noticed a pain in my pubic area (lower intestine? bladder?) after going for a number 2. The day after and 2-3 weeks that followed, I suffered extreme nausea, feeling very hot, feeling like I may vomit in my sleep, and this persistent gentle ache feeling in that aforementioned area. My stools also became very soft and I developed IBS type symptoms.

After a month things have calmed down but I still have that persistent ache that is always exacerbated after taking a number 2 but my stools are no longer soft and the diarrhea has gone (I hope). The nausea and extreme GERD have also really calmed down too, but I still get flashes of heat like a fever but not like a fever at all (?). No blood or mucus in stools either. Raw carrots every day have really helped and gelatin was very soothing but gave me bad chest pains (probably due to smoking I guess). Not knowing what this pain in my pubic/bladder/lower intestine (my anatomy is terrible sorry) and it being worse after going to the toilet is freaking me out.

I've only been able to get phone appointments with my GP but he tells me to go A&E and quit bothering them. I know. UK health care is garbage sadly. I tell myself because its happened after the penicillin and things are not as bad as first that I shouldn't be panicking about cancer etc, but I could really use your help. I have no idea what might be wrong with me other than perhaps penicillin being way too strong and accumulated damage of the daily aspirin I've been taking for the last two years or so.

You've always come through for me and for that I'm always so grateful.

I've tried to not suffer from learned helplessness so have thought of the following as dumb as they might be:

> More antibiotics like erythromycin - only logic here is the last time I took penicillin for my general poor health I stacked it with ethyro and was fine

> Mainstream probiotics like yakult drinks - recommended to me by friends in health care

> Probiotics like florassist that are essentially anti-biotic?

> Have another go with gelatin/collagen (will probably try this anyway) to heal damage. Aspirin helps with that constant pain/discomfort but makes my gut a lot worse for some reason

> Bite the bullet and go to A&E/Emergency Room. Its just always embarrassing being treated like an idiot and having to explain that I self medicated. Gives me a lot of anxiety.

> Perhaps its just a hernia of some kind? A long shot I know

Yeah I think that's about all I can think of, trying my best to keep a level head at the moment. Really hoping you guys can help.

Thanks

Ali

PeskyPeater

yakult contains l. casei that is dangerous. not sure if they use spores, but you need spores to be able to survive stomach acid.

So better option is bacillus subtilis spores 10 billion CFU Ray used them. worked good for me too. they make antibiotics in the small intestine against SIBO and in the colon too to improve diversity. take them away from carrots or antibiotics.

You need restorative sleep as the autophagy repairs cells like the gut lining. vitamin E before sleep and good thyroid function is needed for restorative sleep.

Dunno how much penicilin you took but, I think it may be the penicilin killed bacteria in the gut and the endotoxins did some damage down there?

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Hey guys, I'm trying to keep this short and sweet because I've been trying to post for help here for over a month but end up overwhelmed and just leaving it in my drafts. Really hoping you can help me out as I'm on the edge right now.

I took some penicillin I had lying around for 5 days after tooth removal (I was in a lot of pain) but God knows if I had an infection or not - I couldn't afford to return to the dentist. Not smart I guess but penicillin is safe as far as I knew. I was also taking a massive amount of K complex during and after tooth removal. A week after taking the antibiotics I noticed a pain in my pubic area (lower intestine? bladder?) after going for a number 2. The day after and 2-3 weeks that followed, I suffered extreme nausea, feeling very hot, feeling like I may vomit in my sleep, and this persistent gentle ache feeling in that aforementioned area. My stools also became very soft and I developed IBS type symptoms.

After a month things have calmed down but I still have that persistent ache that is always exacerbated after taking a number 2 but my stools are no longer soft and the diarrhea has gone (I hope). The nausea and extreme GERD have also really calmed down too, but I still get flashes of heat like a fever but not like a fever at all (?). No blood or mucus in stools either. Raw carrots every day have really helped and gelatin was very soothing but gave me bad chest pains (probably due to smoking I guess). Not knowing what this pain in my pubic/bladder/lower intestine (my anatomy is terrible sorry) and it being worse after going to the toilet is freaking me out.

I've only been able to get phone appointments with my GP but he tells me to go A&E and quit bothering them. I know. UK health care is garbage sadly. I tell myself because its happened after the penicillin and things are not as bad as first that I shouldn't be panicking about cancer etc, but I could really use your help. I have no idea what might be wrong with me other than perhaps penicillin being way too strong and accumulated damage of the daily aspirin I've been taking for the last two years or so.

You've always come through for me and for that I'm always so grateful.

I've tried to not suffer from learned helplessness so have thought of the following as dumb as they might be:

> More antibiotics like erythromycin - only logic here is the last time I took penicillin for my general poor health I stacked it with ethyro and was fine

> Mainstream probiotics like yakult drinks - recommended to me by friends in health care

> Probiotics like florassist that are essentially anti-biotic?

> Have another go with gelatin/collagen (will probably try this anyway) to heal damage. Aspirin helps with that constant pain/discomfort but makes my gut a lot worse for some reason

> Bite the bullet and go to A&E/Emergency Room. Its just always embarrassing being treated like an idiot and having to explain that I self medicated. Gives me a lot of anxiety.

> Perhaps its just a hernia of some kind? A long shot I know

Yeah I think that's about all I can think of, trying my best to keep a level head at the moment. Really hoping you guys can help.

Thanks

Ali
Well, there's this.... I've recently been experiencing a similar issue. I'm improving so I hope I'll squeak by. I REALLY want to be FINE!! I think I'll go back on my diet of milk and orange juice and gelatin and lots of mushrooms for a while. I've been eating too much meat lately.

According to your description (and my ongoing experience) that pain may be coming from the Sigmold colon. I dunno.

I think I'll go have some more chlorine dioxide.... It seems to have helped a lot. I've been lying under a red chicken brooder light a lot recently too. Seems to help.

OP
H

Hairfedup

yakult contains l. casei that is dangerous. not sure if they use spores, but you need spores to be able to survive stomach acid.

So better option is bacillus subtilis spores 10 billion CFU Ray used them. worked good for me too. they make antibiotics in the small intestine against SIBO and in the colon too to improve diversity. take them away from carrots or antibiotics.

You need restorative sleep as the autophagy repairs cells like the gut lining. vitamin E before sleep and good thyroid function is needed for restorative sleep.

Dunno how much penicilin you took but, I think it may be the penicilin killed bacteria in the gut and the endotoxins did some damage down there?

I was hoping you'd see my post haha, thank you so much. I might give it another month of good rest and sleep + vitamin E + gelatin and then give the spores you recommend a go if I see no improvements. Btw are you saying raw carrot has actually been counter intuitive?

Fwiw, I took 800,000 IU penicillin twice a day for around 5 days. A week later and everything went downhill. I was thinking about it and I think it is an issue of damage from the peni + daily aspirin and of course a funk up of the bacteria there. Funnily enough the aspirin still helps with the pain in my lower intestine but then I have stomach pains all night lol. Hoping it isn't diverticulitis but looking at the symptoms mostlylurking linked, I don't think that's the case.

Well, there's this.... I've recently been experiencing a similar issue. I'm improving so I hope I'll squeak by. I REALLY want to be FINE!! I think I'll go back on my diet of milk and orange juice and gelatin and lots of mushrooms for a while. I've been eating too much meat lately.

According to your description (and my ongoing experience) that pain may be coming from the Sigmold colon. I dunno.

I think I'll go have some more chlorine dioxide.... It seems to have helped a lot. I've been lying under a red chicken brooder light a lot recently too. Seems to help.

Ahh yeah, diverticulitis...I've heard horror stories from this. Really hope it isn't the case, its been 6 weeks and according to that link, its primarily pain on the left side and mine is on the right 90% of the time but it does jump a little to the left sometimes...so yeah here's hoping they don't mean left side from the doctor's perspective lol.

Gelatin is superb, and wow yeah red meat really makes things worse for me. Will cut it out for a while. Hmm never heard of sigmold colon that's a new one for me . Thanks a lot for your response and I hope you feel better also! - I really know what its like wanting to be fine again trust me. Things just keep on piling up but there's always hope.

edit: I just saw in your link the location of the sigmold colon - looks to be the area ! Hope it isn't serious

mostlylurking

I was hoping you'd see my post haha, thank you so much. I might give it another month of good rest and sleep + vitamin E + gelatin and then give the spores you recommend a go if I see no improvements. Btw are you saying raw carrot has actually been counter intuitive?

Fwiw, I took 800,000 IU penicillin twice a day for around 5 days. A week later and everything went downhill. I was thinking about it and I think it is an issue of damage from the peni + daily aspirin and of course a funk up of the bacteria there. Funnily enough the aspirin still helps with the pain in my lower intestine but then I have stomach pains all night lol. Hoping it isn't diverticulitis but looking at the symptoms mostlylurking linked, I don't think that's the case.

Ahh yeah, diverticulitis...I've heard horror stories from this. Really hope it isn't the case, its been 6 weeks and according to that link, its primarily pain on the left side and mine is on the right 90% of the time but it does jump a little to the left sometimes...so yeah here's hoping they don't mean left side from the doctor's perspective lol.

Gelatin is superb, and wow yeah red meat really makes things worse for me. Will cut it out for a while. Hmm never heard of sigmold colon that's a new one for me . Thanks a lot for your response and I hope you feel better also! - I really know what its like wanting to be fine again trust me. Things just keep on piling up but there's always hope.

edit: I just saw in your link the location of the sigmold colon - looks to be the area ! Hope it isn't serious
After several weeks of misery and only slight (but real) improvement from the chlorine dioxide and red light, I decided 4 days ago to start taking a teaspoon of l-glutamine each morning. I've taken 4 doses and I have had no pain at all in the past 36 hours. I am a whole lot better. I think the l-glutamine is helping my gut to heal.

I learned about l-glutamine about 30 years ago. Pretty much all I remember from that time is that it's not something to take all the time but if there's a real problem it would be OK to take it for not more than 30 days. If you are interested in it, I'd recommend reading about it first. It's easy to find because it's popular with body builders.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hairfedup

After several weeks of misery and only slight (but real) improvement from the chlorine dioxide and red light, I decided 4 days ago to start taking a teaspoon of l-glutamine each morning. I've taken 4 doses and I have had no pain at all in the past 36 hours. I am a whole lot better. I think the l-glutamine is helping my gut to heal.

I learned about l-glutamine about 30 years ago. Pretty much all I remember from that time is that it's not something to take all the time but if there's a real problem it would be OK to take it for not more than 30 days. If you are interested in it, I'd recommend reading about it first. It's easy to find because it's popular with body builders.

Thanks again for your insights, its very appreciated. I'll look into glutamine, but it does seem to be something you have to consider carefully. I thought I should mention that when I say pain, it's more of a discomfort that can be very apparent (if I don't go to the toilet for 1-2 days etc it appears but also after using the toilet oddly enough). Aspirin helps massively so I'm actually very confused. I'm not really sure where to go from here other than to try get medical attention. Would a colon or intestinal problem show up in a stool analysis?

Was also curious as to your thoughts regarding peskypeater's suggestion of bacillus subtilis spores? I'm not sure because it does seem to be the colon as opposed to the gut but I guess this is all connected.

Reading up on l-glutamine as we speak. I'm just apprehensive to try all these things as you know, the thought of something getting worse than better just sets up the whole anxiety cycle.

mostlylurking

Thanks again for your insights, its very appreciated. I'll look into glutamine, but it does seem to be something you have to consider carefully. I thought I should mention that when I say pain, it's more of a discomfort that can be very apparent (if I don't go to the toilet for 1-2 days etc it appears but also after using the toilet oddly enough). I'm not really sure where to go from here other than to try get medical attention. Would a colon or intestinal problem show up in a stool analysis?

Was also curious as to your thoughts regarding peskypeater's suggestion of bacillus subtilis spores? Reading up on glutamine as we speak.
I'm not too keen on fiddling with the various bacteria of the body because I think it is a lot more complicated than what the people selling the various bacteria know. I was really messed up from taking antibiotics summer of 2020. My gut was a mess. It cleared up and normalized after a few months of taking high dose thiamine and some magnesium (and eating LOTS of cooked mushrooms). The bacteria sorted itself out without my micromanagement. Different colonies need to be living in different locations in there. The less virulent variety needs to set up shop on the lining of the gut. Some bacteria makes thiamine and some bacteria uses it up. Just the act of providing a steady supply of thiamine via supplementation changed the population to be more friendly. I hope this makes sense. Gut bacteria is a complicated topic.

I decided that a 30 day stint of taking a teaspoon of l-glutamine would be safe enough to try because desperation had set in. I've been dealing with this problem since June, it's gotten a little worse, and it's affecting my sleep now. I really don't want to go to the doctor because they will want to scope me (colonoscopy) and I want to avoid that if possible. A few days of taking 1 teaspoon of l-glutamine per day has caused improvements for me so I plan to continue it for the 30 days. I had an MRI in 2020 which showed my gut looked "normal" so I'm assuming I'm still in pretty good shape. Also, I hate doctors, too many bad experiences in the past few years.

I've known about l-glutamine for at least 30 years; I'm pretty sure my orthomolecular detox doctor told me about it around 1994 because it wasn't something I would have read about on my own. It seems to be pretty innocuous stuff. Doesn't taste like much, maybe a little sweet. No fireworks, just less discomfort and a sense of something getting a little better.

A stool sample would show if there's any blood. Blood is not a good sign. But no blood doesn't mean that everything is just great either. That said, I'll tell you this story: Several years ago (15-20?) my friend developed a fissure on her anus. The doctor prescribed surgery. The surgeon knocked her out, examined her, then woke her up and told her, yes indeed there's a fissure that needs surgery and come back next week and we'll knock you out again and perform the surgery. It made my friend so mad that they had not corrected the problem while she was under general anesthesia that she didn't want to ever go back. I suggested that she take some l-glutamine for 30 days, maybe the fissure would heal itself. So she tried it and it worked. She never went back to the stupid surgeon.

I'd like to suggest you read up on l-glutamine and then perhaps try it for a few days (a week or two) and see if you experience any improvement? It seems to be a pretty common supplement in the body building world.

This article about thiamine and gut issues is very good. High dose thiamine normalized my digestive tract. I'm a big fan of thiamine.

Last edited:
... That said, I'll tell you this story: Several years ago (15-20?) my friend developed a fissure on her anus. The doctor prescribed surgery. The surgeon knocked her out, examined her, then woke her up and told her, yes indeed there's a fissure that needs surgery and come back next week and we'll knock you out again and perform the surgery. It made my friend so mad that they had not corrected the problem while she was under general anesthesia that she didn't want to ever go back.
this is infuriating to read! I would be just as mad!

OP
H

Hairfedup

I'm not too keen on fiddling with the various bacteria of the body because I think it is a lot more complicated than what the people selling the various bacteria know. I was really messed up from taking antibiotics summer of 2020. My gut was a mess. It cleared up and normalized after a few months of taking high dose thiamine and some magnesium (and eating LOTS of cooked mushrooms). The bacteria sorted itself out without my micromanagement. Different colonies need to be living in different locations in there. The less virulent variety needs to set up shop on the lining of the gut. Some bacteria makes thiamine and some bacteria uses it up. Just the act of providing a steady supply of thiamine via supplementation changed the population to be more friendly. I hope this makes sense. Gut bacteria is a complicated topic.

I decided that a 30 day stint of taking a teaspoon of l-glutamine would be safe enough to try because desperation had set in. I've been dealing with this problem since June, it's gotten a little worse, and it's affecting my sleep now. I really don't want to go to the doctor because they will want to scope me (colonoscopy) and I want to avoid that if possible. A few days of taking 1 teaspoon of l-glutamine per day has caused improvements for me so I plan to continue it for the 30 days. I had an MRI in 2020 which showed my gut looked "normal" so I'm assuming I'm still in pretty good shape. Also, I hate doctors, too many bad experiences in the past few years.

I've known about l-glutamine for at least 30 years; I'm pretty sure my orthomolecular detox doctor told me about it around 1994 because it wasn't something I would have read about on my own. It seems to be pretty innocuous stuff. Doesn't taste like much, maybe a little sweet. No fireworks, just less discomfort and a sense of something getting a little better.

A stool sample would show if there's any blood. Blood is not a good sign. But no blood doesn't mean that everything is just great either. That said, I'll tell you this story: Several years ago (15-20?) my friend developed a fissure on her anus. The doctor prescribed surgery. The surgeon knocked her out, examined her, then woke her up and told her, yes indeed there's a fissure that needs surgery and come back next week and we'll knock you out again and perform the surgery. It made my friend so mad that they had not corrected the problem while she was under general anesthesia that she didn't want to ever go back. I suggested that she take some l-glutamine for 30 days, maybe the fissure would heal itself. So she tried it and it worked. She never went back to the stupid surgeon.

I'd like to suggest you read up on l-glutamine and then perhaps try it for a few days (a week or two) and see if you experience any improvement? It seems to be a pretty common supplement in the body building world.

The article linked above about thiamine and gut issues is very good. High dose thiamine normalized my digestive tract. I'm a big fan of thiamine.

Thanks so much, I'll definitely start reading up and most likely will give glutamine a go.

Its a strange one right, I remember not being able to sleep because the discomfort had become a painful throb through my hip all the way into my knee - it almost feels like a muscular injury sometimes and is exacerbated by sitting etc ; I'm both glad someone here has experienced something similar but also of course I'm not glad at all as I'd rather we were all well. Thanks again sir I'll report back here soon hopefully.

@Hairfedup not to scare you- from wikipedia "Those with a severe infection also may develop serious inflammation of the colon and have little or no diarrhea."

OP
H

Hairfedup

@Hairfedup not to scare you- from wikipedia "Those with a severe infection also may develop serious inflammation of the colon and have little or no diarrhea."

Oh well that's not very good lol. I don't have any fever and haven't had for a while - hopefully that's a good sign

maybe you could run it by your doctor? Whatever you have it seems to have been brought on by antibiotics, so maybe they would have better insight about this. Maybe you were just allergic to penicillin, which is quite common. Try benadryl?

edit: its probably not an allergy, that was a dumb thing to say

OP
H

Hairfedup

maybe you could run it by your doctor? Whatever you have it seems to have been brought on by antibiotics, so maybe they would have better insight about this. Maybe you were just allergic to penicillin, which is quite common. Try benadryl?

Yeah I think I might have to press for some medical attention - you really have to force the issue here in the UK if you're a young man - otherwise you just get sent away. I'd really rather not have a colonoscopy though lol.

Hmm yeah maybe its an allergic reaction, but I have been completely fine on penicillins my whole life. Its boiled down to such strange localised symptoms I really don't know if I've even described it properly in this thread. btw thanks for responding !

I don't think colonoscopy is on the table for a while lol. It looks like a mild case of C. diff...and they may just try different antibiotics to clear it up. I never had this though, so I really don't know what they would think.

you said you had to go the emergency room if you wanted medical care? can't you get a regular doctor office visit for this? We have urgent care here in the US, which is where I would go for this issue, it's not expensive and slow like emergency room.

I have the anxiety about being treated like an idiot over self-medicating as well. Don't worry, everyone tries their best not to see the doctor and it's okay you tried things.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals