Urgent: Runaway heart rate and general illness after penicillin.

Sam321

I suspected endotoxin so I ended up using penicillin 250mg 3x a day to see if that was the issue.

First 3 days on penicillin my sleep improved and my quality of life greatly improved. I backed off on antibiotic then and took a couple smaller doses before stopping. But when I did this I experienced extreme indigestion, bloating, and even soreness/hotness around my abdomen. I had a hard time sleeping and I just felt like trash.

I figured that I hadn't finished my round of penicillin and really gnarly bacteria grew back with a vengeance. So I continued the full course of penicillin for 11 more days at 250mg 3 times a day. My sleep came back a little bit but wasn't really as good as it was the first couple days but it seemed to be therapeutic in attacking whatever was going on in my guts allowing me to sleep pretty good.

The trouble is when I stopped the antibiotic again I experienced severe bloating, indigestion, as I pooped like 5 times that day and night after being constipated. I couldn't sleep 1 full night and the day after that I was just wrecked. I got a couple hours sleep here and there and started megaspore probiotic to try to offset the potential damage I did to my gut. This doesn't seem to be working as I have had a heart beat in the 100-145bpm range about 3 days now and have only gotten about 8 hours of sleep. I feel like I'm dying as whenever I lay down to sleep my heart pounds out of my chest.

I seriously need some help here guys. I'm not sure what to do. My heart rates inability to calm down is incredibly worrisome and I can't go on without sleep like this and the symptoms aren't subsiding. My heart rate is still out of control and I'm writing this 2 hours into sleep having woken up with 120 bpm heart rate.

I'm completely exhausted and some things that seem to pull my heart rate down a little is basically salt and only salt.

I went to the doctor and she put me on ekg and everything looks fine. She is putting me on a sleep monitor soon too to watch my heart. But that doesn't solve my lack of sleep that is killing me. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas on moving forward?

It feels like I am dealing with either my intestines were injured due to antibiotic over use or I have an antibiotic resistant strain in my gut. Or both. I'm not sure if the elevated heart rate isndue to exhaustion or endo toxin. I'm wary of taking more antibiotics to try to remedy the issue, but if it helps me sleep so be it.

I've also ordered methylene blue that will be here in 3 days and have been taking asprin.

Possible E. Dificile? Haaaalp.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Current diet and supplements.

Morning : 2 eggs. Square of gelatin and syrup. 2.5 cups of milk. Maybe bacon, maybe a little more syrup, cup of oj.

Lunch: beats or cucumber salted and peppered. 2.5 cups of sugared milk. Cube of gelatin. Cup of oj.

Dinner: ground beef, parm reg, 2.5 cups of sugared milk. Cube of gelatin.

1-2 drops of Thorne k2 internally.

Thorne vitamin d: about 36 drops topically (no sun here d levels are around 50-70) (haven't taken in a couple days)

Spray on magnesium.

Tocovit 150 iu (stopped taking after racing pulse)

(Took xanax a couple nights back only made heart rate worse 145bpm... stopped taking since)

Maljam

Was your doctor not concerned by your gut issues? Gut inflammation/endotoxin are probably responsible. Antibiotics and the understanding of the whole microbiome I don't think is far ahead enough for people to conclusively know what is going on. Some people do amazingly after antibiotics, some people get their guts destroyed, it seems hard to predict.

I'd personally stop all supplements, experimenting got you into this mess, I'm not sure why you would order methylene blue if you've never tried it before. Vitamin K has been known to irritate peoples intestines, as has aspirin. Maybe I am wrong but I personally wouldn't be messing about in a state like this. The only "supplement" I would consider is the probiotic s boulardii which has a decent track record of helping with antibiotic induced damage. Its also a yeast so once you stop taking it, it dies out pretty quickly, so no chance of colonisation of some experimental strange strain of bacteria.

A lot of antibiotic damage simply just takes time to heal. Eating a balanced, sensible diet over a few weeks im sure would have you feeling better.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Was your doctor not concerned by your gut issues? Gut inflammation/endotoxin are probably responsible. Antibiotics and the understanding of the whole microbiome I don't think is far ahead enough for people to conclusively know what is going on. Some people do amazingly after antibiotics, some people get their guts destroyed, it seems hard to predict.

I'd personally stop all supplements, experimenting got you into this mess, I'm not sure why you would order methylene blue if you've never tried it before. Vitamin K has been known to irritate peoples intestines, as has aspirin. Maybe I am wrong but I personally wouldn't be messing about in a state like this. The only "supplement" I would consider is the probiotic s boulardii which has a decent track record of helping with antibiotic induced damage. Its also a yeast so once you stop taking it, it dies out pretty quickly, so no chance of colonisation of some experimental strange strain of bacteria.

A lot of antibiotic damage simply just takes time to heal. Eating a balanced, sensible diet over a few weeks im sure would have you feeling better.
Its hard to say if the doc is concerned about my gut issues or not. She signed me up for an ekg and a 14 day monitor of my heart. I called her back today cause I really want to be looking at this from the gut health angle as well as im pretty sure thats where this is coming from.

I'm considering trying low dose methylene blue as it may give me relief from nitric oxide in my cells that maybe boxing out oxygen which would lower my heart rate and give me reprieve so I can get some shut eye. I'm desperate for some sleep. For example, if I hadn't experimented with the supplementation of salt I wouldn't have gotten any sleep last night. Another reason I am considering meth blue is that this high heart rate has happened before when I accidentally took a pill that increased nitric oxide in elevation. When I left elevation and got some sleep all symptoms subsided.

I don't think there are any major side effects from short term low dosage of meth blue (1mg), particularly if you are getting a product that is 3rd party tested for heavy metals. I def could be wrong and am open to ideas around that for sure.

My white blood count was high as well, which kinda sounds to me like possible infection being fought off.

Thanks for the perspective. I'll definitely take a measured approach to where ever I go from here.

Last edited:

NodeCerebri

Sounds like an endotoxin shock to me. You need to sleep in Order to get better.
i had a similar issue once and one time low dosage metoprolol helped a bit for the pounding heart and for sleep. Also low dose benadryl (0.5 to 6 mg) helped for the endotoxin shock. Activated charcoal for the gut and for the serotonin excess. Not taking any anxiolytics or similar during this time could be better maybe if you can do without them.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Sounds like an endotoxin shock to me. You need to sleep in Order to get better.
i had a similar issue once and one time low dosage metoprolol helped a bit for the pounding heart and for sleep. Also low dose benadryl (0.5 to 6 mg) helped for the endotoxin shock. Activated charcoal for the gut and for the serotonin excess. Not taking any anxiolytics or similar during this time could be better maybe if you can do without them.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Huh, never heard of metoprolol. Whats it for? Need a prescription for it? Benadryl didn't really help took it last night. Tsp of salt dropped my pulse for about an hour or so a pop.

I've been eating carrot salad everyday as well.

NodeCerebri

Huh, never heard of metoprolol. Whats it for? Need a prescription for it? Benadryl didn't really help took it last night. Tsp of salt dropped my pulse for about an hour or so a pop.

I've been eating carrot salad everyday as well.
Metoprolol is a Beta-Blocker. It’s blocks the adrenergic receptors in your heart, so heart rate goes down.
How’s your blood pressure?
I think you have some electrolyte imbalances then if salt helped you a lot. Maybe look for the optimal ratios of magnesium, potassium and salt. I’d try to avoid anything that makes me excrete more electrolytes also, like drinking too much, sweating too much, diuretics etc you name it

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Metoprolol is a Beta-Blocker. It’s blocks the adrenergic receptors in your heart, so heart rate goes down.
I think you have some electrolyte imbalances then if salt helped you a lot. Maybe look for the optimal ratios of magnesium, potassium and salt. I’d try to avoid anything that makes me excrete more electrolytes also, like drinking too much, sweating too much, diuretics etc you name it
Blood pressure is in normal range thankfully.

My potassium was slightly low on blood work while magnesium was looking ok. Maybe drink some more oj? I'd eat some bananas but ray mentions staying away from starch with endotoxin issues.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Just got labs back.
Vitamin D was 78 and I hadn't taken any or been in the sun for 3 days, so it was likely to be wicked high as well. There's a lot of opinions of vitamin d toxicity but the standard consensus is too much vit d can cause fast heart beats, indigestion, vomiting etc. Interesting for sure. I think when I switched over to topical D application I underestimated its efficacy and pumped up the amount. Also my having an endotoxin issue with my liver also could mean that oral D at a certain dosage could be misleading vs applying d directly to the blood stream. Def backing off for a few days.

NodeCerebri

Blood pressure is in normal range thankfully.

My potassium was slightly low on blood work while magnesium was looking ok. Maybe drink some more oj? I'd eat some bananas but ray mentions staying away from starch with endotoxin issues.
The „adrenal cocktail“ ever time there is a cortisol drop during the day helped me a lot with electrolytes. For me it is 9am and 14 am, OJ with potassium bicarb and a pinch of salt.
yeah I’d also step away from starch for a while. Maybe eat more meat? This always helps my digestion a lot while getting in all the nutrients.

NodeCerebri

Just got labs back.
Vitamin D was 78 and I hadn't taken any or been in the sun for 3 days, so it was likely to be wicked high as well. There's a lot of opinions of vitamin d toxicity but the standard consensus is too much vit d can cause fast heart beats, indigestion, vomiting etc. Interesting for sure. I think when I switched over to topical D application I underestimated its efficacy and pumped up the amount. Also my having an endotoxin issue with my liver also could mean that oral D at a certain dosage could be misleading vs applying d directly to the blood stream. Def backing off for a few days.
Okay but 78 is far away from toxicity I’d guess. You should definitely up your magnesium. How much D did you apply for how long?

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Okay but 78 is far away from toxicity I’d guess. You should definitely up your magnesium. How much D did you apply for how long?
For sure. Its desirable really.
I was taking about 48 drops topically of Thorne D oil daily. Way too much.

I've been using that for about 2 months now.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

UPDATE: heart rate dropped to 70s today in a solid step towards recovery.

I've decided to not take anything else internally outside of asprin dissolved in water. Just need to sleep and recover.

Big lesson learned here for me. I think in general antibiotics are talked about way to freely in certain Peat circles. I seriously injured my gut in search of "endotoxin" resolution and only exacerbated the problem in the process and felt like I was on my death bed for days.

If I took antibiotics again it wouldn't be penicillin and it would be 1-3 high doses until I feel positive effect then back off immediately. Fact is tho, I think I was too lazy to give the carrot salad or mushrooms a chance. I'm gonna do the carrot salad for a few months and then check back in with my progress on backing off my endo toxin. Really the new rule of thumb is do the least you can as safe as you can that give the best results.

Thanks for all your help everyone, really helped me through persisting in the face of agony and not doing stupid ***t that would worsen the situation.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

The „adrenal cocktail“ ever time there is a cortisol drop during the day helped me a lot with electrolytes. For me it is 9am and 14 am, OJ with potassium bicarb and a pinch of salt.
yeah I’d also step away from starch for a while. Maybe eat more meat? This always helps my digestion a lot while getting in all the nutrients.
Never heard of adrenal cocktail but it sounds interesting. What does it do to combat adrenal wildness

OP
Sam321

Sam321

UPDATE: heart rate in 85-100 range again after dropping low during the day. Again having trouble sleeping. Salt not as effective anymore.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

How did you get your doc to give you beta blockers? Mine seems resistant to the idea. I either sleep or die at this point i think.

MrGilbert

I took a dose once and a couple days later my whole body was covered with hives and my throat messed up. Looked like something out of x-files. Turns out I was allergic. Maybe you are too?

NodeCerebri

UPDATE: heart rate in 85-100 range again after dropping low during the day. Again having trouble sleeping. Salt not as effective anymore.
Please track your temp also and watch how the data looks like after tracking for a few days. Is there a certain time or trigger when your heart rate rises and falls?

NodeCerebri

How did you get your doc to give you beta blockers? Mine seems resistant to the idea. I either sleep or die at this point i think.
It was only half a dose, the doc in the emergency gave two Tablets so that my heart rate could fall finally, because i couldn’t eat or sleep for days. I only took half a Tablet but it was good then. Beta blockers for a long period is really not good tho.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals