IBS?

M

member 2106

For years now, I've had periodic inflammation and bloating in my large intestine, around about the Cecum, on the right. I can actually "feel" it swelling up sometimes (I'm quite skinny though). It's never really caused pain, but it has caused a lot of discomfort. It is almost always restricted to that specific area of the intestine. I'm most aware of it when I lie down.

I have noticed that the irritation is alleviated somewhat when I reduce starch, but I have not been able to cut starch out entirely without getting ill in other respects. So I'm trying to just eat well cooked rice and potatoes for now.

I have not been able to figure out what triggers this, but starch is not the only culprit. This has gone hand-in-hand with several years' worth of infrequent bowel movements, occasional constipation, the usual IBS stuff, etc, etc. Also I've had major anxiety issues over the years, so that's probably tied in too.

Does any kind soul have any ideas for what might improve this? For now I'm just trying to avoid resistant starch, trying to manage my anxiety, and also - crucially - trying to achieve regular bowel movements. Ray has recommended anti-serotonin agents, like cyproheptadine. Has anyone tried this? What about aspirin? I'm lost.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
You are not alone. You will find many.

Cyproheptadine helps me a bit but I try to take it once a week or less.

I am finding that the situation is a bit more complicated than just following a low FODMAP diet.

Journaling might give you more clarity. Bread definitely troubles my gut.

It could very well be mast cell activation / histamine related.

olive

2tsp Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in 1cup water before meals.

Ginger, pineapple stem, riboflavin (b2), glycine, ceylon cinnamon after meals.

Ensure sufficient vitamin D and E status.

Avoid gluten, dairy, most fibre, excessive fructose.

Olive leaf extract/aspirin may be useful.

somuch4food

It could very well be mast cell activation / histamine related.

I second that. I'm looking into this as well as a low thiols diet.

I've noticed worsening symptoms from many vegetables like broccoli, asparagus... Also, citrus fruits seem out I had some clementines yesterday andI slept so bad and woke up wired and needed to eat to go back to sleep. Those also constipate me and make me gassy.

I haven't pinpointed exactly what is my issue with those yet: histamine, thiols, carotenoids or what not. I'm experimenting with different foods to learn my triggers.

You just have to listen to your body and keep a journal if you prefer. Remember it can be anything that trigger you, you have to figure it out yourself.

Maybe, if you detail your diet, I can give a few angles to look at.