Breakfast

Peatit

Hi
Does really Peat recommend for someone healthy to break the night fast first thing in the morning?
He seems to think that a healthy liver can provide up to 15h of glycogen supply, and I "feel" that it could be wise to let the liver almost emptying its stores every day.
I guess that it makes sense at least from an evolutionary standpoint insofar human beings do have access to food when awakening only from the very recent past (and only in our west blessed countries even nowadays).
Peat does not talk extensively about insulin and even less about glucagon, wouldn't it be advisable to let some metabolic pathways open while extending the night's fast for a while (1-2 hours)?

tara

If the glycogen stores are still adequate by morning, and the stress hormones haven't ramped up from the night-time stress, then it may not be important to eat immediately on waking. My guess is that if someone really does have good enough glycogen storage, and can go many hours, with out refuelling, it might be more likely to work better to eat plenty of breakfast and lunch, and mostly finish eating earlier in the day, so that the digestion is not needing to work so much at night.
Personally, I'm not doing this though. I'm just happy I can sleep through the night without waking hungry, and I still want some dinner and supper. But I think I make better use of food I eat earlier in the day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals