Katharina Dalton: The Dietary "musts" For Improving Progesterone (Hint: No Low Carb, No Starvation)

800mRepeats

So ... If I get up early and it's before dawn, perhaps my first meal (taken at that time) should be a small snack.
Then, once the sun comes up, get some bright light and have a nice big breakfast.
Maybe?

Xisca

2- Toxic exposure in utero or very early in life (heavy metals, pesticides, etc...)
Yes, I am this one....

And I have found out this about having to solve the mito problem, and thank you Kat Dalton!

Xisca

The problem is that I do not want to go back to gut problems, I solved them with a no starch diet, at least no grain, as I was on bananas for sugar. I solved the gut inflamation and have no more cystitis.... and I feel at the limit now... gosh, no!

I know near fruitarian people, and they solved heavy health problems, and they eat up to 30 bananas at lunch!

ok, I try to stick to the sugar diet...
I tried some corn gofio, and I feel same as with gluten, terrible...

So, I stay with butter etc, coco, and go on with sugar, well fruits and honey mainly, and I also have loads of proteins, and I really feel gelatine is good for me.

I still have almost no hot flush, so this is ok, only tendinitis is worse, I am nearly afraid to go to bed because the pain wakes me up... :(

Xisca

So, I went back to the basics...
An homeopath told me I had a problem with calcium cycle, and I thought, "what, no, with glucose", so let's read....
Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs. respiratory energy

" When cells are excited, stressed, or de-energized, they lose magnesium and potassium, and take up sodium and calcium. The mitochondria can bind a certain amount of calcium during stress, but accumulating calcium can reach a point at which it inactivates the mitochondria, forcing cells to increase their inefficient glycolytic energy production, producing an excess of lactic acid."

Bingo, calcium inactivates the mito, thus anaerobic and lactic acid.
What is the cause, any stress.
In my case this was in-utero already.

As I know only glucose can produce lactic acid, and fat burning does not, I function better with fats. But in the long run I can have problem, and so I have to go back to glucose burning in an AEROBIC form.

But my body still burn it anearobically.... How do I tell her to change this. "Please my body, burn sugar aerobically, you are born for over 50 years, toxic exposure is finished for long, relax!"

I have honey and dry figs near my bed, to eat early.

@tara, get your starch for supper instead of lunch, and more protein at hey digest better during the day.

I like to relate to our ancesters, even if we do not eat a paleo diet. I have a guess: they were putting meat in underground fires, sort of oven, and sleep oon the heat, and eat in the morning. Or else it is difficult to imagiine they were not eating around a fire at night! How can we be made to eat during the day if they were eating at night.... Cooking at night and eating in the morning?

Humans can take all diets, we can enter many niche, thus our succes as s species. But sugar did not exist, only fruits and honey so far before very recent times... I cannot imagine a good diet that does not correspond to our history!

So I agry with tropical sweet fruits + meat.

About dairies, they do not have the good ratio with magnesio, too much calcium, so how do you get enough Mg to make the balance? I do take enough salt to keep Mg. Of course we have supplements, but what would be the right way to balance calcium and Mg with food. in a high dairy diet. ..

OP
P

PakPik

So ... If I get up early and it's before dawn, perhaps my first meal (taken at that time) should be a small snack.
Then, once the sun comes up, get some bright light and have a nice big breakfast.
Maybe?
That's probably what I'd do :)
The problem is that I do not want to go back to gut problems, I solved them with a no starch diet, at least no grain, as I was on bananas for sugar. I solved the gut inflamation and have no more cystitis.... and I feel at the limit now... gosh, no!

I know near fruitarian people, and they solved heavy health problems, and they eat up to 30 bananas at lunch!
Well, it's wise to be flexible regarding the foods we eat, favoring the ones that agree with us and won't cause harm. I personally couldn't stomach starch for a long time, so lots of fruit and honey. When I introduced starch, it was rice which is one of the easiest to digest.
Bingo, calcium inactivates the mito, thus anaerobic and lactic acid.
What is the cause, any stress.
In my case this was in-utero already.
I wonder of the solvent exposure generated persistent damage/block that still hasn't been reversed? There are different ways they harm the cells, incl. inducing mitochondrial dysfunction. There's one paper here: Toxic hepatitis in occupational exposure to solvents Have you gone to a doctor with knowledge in solvent-related chronic health problems?

I like to relate to our ancesters, even if we do not eat a paleo diet. I have a guess: they were putting meat in underground fires, sort of oven, and sleep oon the heat, and eat in the morning. Or else it is difficult to imagiine they were not eating around a fire at night! How can we be made to eat during the day if they were eating at night.... Cooking at night and eating in the morning?

But sugar did not exist, only fruits and honey so far before very recent times... I cannot imagine a good diet that does not correspond to our history!
To be honest I don't ascribe to the kinds of theories Paleo movement and similar ones are based upon. I don't believe many of their claims regarding our ancestors and regarding foods and lifestyle.

I hope your tendon pains improve @Xisca
I'm suspecting this is important for me, but I really struggle with keeping it consistent. If I don't manage to get eat enough early in the day, or if I am awake too late for some reason, and feel as though I need more food to get to sleep, it seems to throw me off. If I don't eat enough the previous day, I wake up too early. One or other of those things happens fairly often, sometimes maybe in my control, sometimes not.
Yeah, life just happens and sometimes we can't go to sleep at the most healthy time. When it happens to me it throws me off too. Although I've found that consistency helps the circadian rhythm get more resilient overtime if that makes sense, so when an "unhealthy habits" day comes then it isn't that hard to get back to normal.

Last edited:

tara

@tara, get your starch for supper instead of lunch, and more protein at hey digest better during the day.
I agree that more protein during the day digests better than at night for me.
But I think I do best if my largest starch portions morning and midday. I think I typically make better use of it during that period.

Peater Piper

Good points @Xisca
One definitely has to take into account what a person can handle. And then to balance that with the caloric and nutrient requirements.
Easy to digest fruit seems to be ideal for people with very poor mitochondrial function and / or digestion. I could only ingest fruit and honey at first, starch was sickening.
Regarding being a fat burner, I can relate. I was underweight all my life and never put on weight, it seems I was on fat burning mode all the time. I then discovered that faulty mitochondrial function makes a person unable to correctly use sugar, so this person will tend to become a fat burner and probably a lactic acid producer.
There are many possible causes of mitochondrial dysfunction. I've been working on those mitochondrial/cell issues for a few years now, and nowadays my diet is high carb low fat and I handle the carbs really good, I have the best metabolism I've ever had. And I put on healthy weight and I am not underweight anymore -though I still would like to put on a few more pounds-.
So, I suspect you may have mitochondrial respiration blocks or issues if you have so much trouble oxidizing sugar correctly and are an obligate fat burner.
Small intestine infections / irritation can also be a reason for inability to deal well with starches.
The bolded sounds so much like me. How do you know when you're creating lactic acid?

OP
P

PakPik

The bolded sounds so much like me. How do you know when you're creating lactic acid?
As far as I know, some symptoms of increased lactic acid production may be getting sore or very fatigued muscles quickly/without much exertion, and getting nerves irritated, tired or sore very easily/without much exertion.

Xisca

As far as I know, some symptoms of increased lactic acid production may be getting sore or very fatigued muscles quickly/without much exertion, and getting nerves irritated, tired or sore very easily/without much exertion.
Yes, I have always had pains and aches very easily...
¡The problemm is only too know before! After, no problemm, you know it, you have pains and aches for 2 days.... And your liver must work to convert back the lactic acid into glucose, and if I understand, the ADP into ATP.... If you go too far into the process, you even produce AMP, which is lost, and you stay 2 days in bed for your body to produce new ATP from glucose... This would be the stage of chronic fatigue.
I have this sometimes, and it is not easy to not pass the line, when you still feel ok!

Now I have learned to listen to my body and pace down the rythm when I walk or work with my arms, so that I can sustain more.
I think I can feel in my muscles when I go into anaerobic, there is some contraction I can feel, and I bet my tendón pain comes from this, my muscles are too tense and pull too much on tendons.

I had a bad time last week, 2 days with big pains and aches that woke me up at night, coupled with tendinitis in my shoulders.

I read Peat:
Biotin deficiency can cause aerobic glycolysis with increased fat synthesis (Marshall, et al., 1976).
I bought Biotin, and the next day I woke up with a big surprise, I had only tendinitis, no more muscle pain! I am still better after 5 days... And I think I handle sugar better....

Last edited:

Xisca

I agree that more protein during the day digests better than at night for me.
But I think I do best if my largest starch portions morning and midday. I think I typically make better use of it during that period.
So what options do you have for supper?

Xisca

To be honest I don't ascribe to the kinds of theories Paleo movement and similar ones are based upon. I don't believe many of their claims regarding our ancestors and regarding foods and lifestyle.
I do believe it yes, but not their conclusions, because they usually just eat a lot of muscle!!!!
We are just the species with most options for any diet, so we could occupy all niches on earth.
But I do believe that many people found the best way to fulfill their needs with what was available to them!

I think it is very paleo to say that we have a big taste for sugar, as we all like swee things! I also think that all diet say we should not eat a lot of very processed foods, and Peat also say to avoid modern aditives like caraghenans, or use masa harina, a very traditional way to process corn! How did they found out? Well, the result is here, they found a way to process corn that can be proved nowdays!
Peat also says that they used vegetable oils when they could not sell them anymore for plastic and varnish and Paint making!
Saturated fats were traditional...

I am sure there are evolutionary reasons for our needs in foods.
For dogs, the calcio phosphorus % comes from the % when they eat bones and flesh! There is a reason for all.

But it is stupid to say we cannot eat dairies or grains, we just have to know how to process them, and have the right guts to be able to. I am sure some people really cannot eat fruits, sugar and milk, but some can.

Xisca

I wonder of the solvent exposure generated persistent damage/block that still hasn't been reversed? There are different ways they harm the cells, incl. inducing mitochondrial dysfunction. There's one paper here: Toxic hepatitis in occupational exposure to solvents Have you gone to a doctor with knowledge in solvent-related chronic health problems?
Thanks, I am going to read it, but I have never Heard about this specialty in doctors, and we do not have many doctors here in the island, and not very good in general.

tara

So what options do you have for supper?
I still have some starch around dinner time and/or supper, just ideally not so much as earlier in the day, if I've eaten enough. And soup and juice most days, and various other things from time to time.

OP
P

PakPik

I'm sharing some quotes on progesterone and related subjects by Katharina Dalton

http://www.natural-progesterone-advisory-network.com/PDFs/dalton.pdf

Progesterone receptors, Progestins and Adrenaline

"What we really want to do is progesterone receptor function tests, because it is one thing to have a lot of progesterone receptors; but if you’re not going to use them, they’re no good. We now know the characteristics of the progesterone receptors; among them, first of all, they won’t pick up progestogen - progestins, I think you call them. The artificial ones, forget those. They will only pick up progesterone. "

"They will not pick up progesterone if adrenalin is present, if there’s been a lot of stress, and they will not pick up progesterone when the blood sugar is low. So we’ve got to look after the progesterone receptors. It’s not a case of necessarily increasing the progesterone. And the progesterone blood levels are irrelevant."

"Young women who are having cardiac symptoms are those who are the high-pitched, type A, pushing so much adrenaline out that they are neutralizing the effect of the progesterone."

"There’s one other thing that I want to say about progesterone. One of the things we have learned is that in order for the progesterone to be used by the progesterone receptors, one of the real essentials is that we must avoid low blood sugar; we must have a stable blood sugar level, and for that we insist that patients use the three-hourly starch diet. The ideal is that they should eat in a way that does not cause a drop in the blood sugar, because a drop in the blood sugar will stop the utilization of progesterone for seven days." [Note: Here she probably meant "up to" seven days, which is what she said in her Once a Month book]

Progesterone, Preeclampsia and PMS

"I did a survey of 1000 women, of whom 200 had experienced preeclampsia and 800 were normal. I got them from factories, health food stores and clinics. This was in 1953. What we found was that 85% of those women who had preeclampsia once subsequently had PMS."

"With PMS, if we measure them day by day, we will find that the severe ones in the premenstruum will have an increase in weight, they will have an increase in blood pressure, they will have an increase in intraocular tension and urinary protein. In other words, preeclampsia and PMS are very much the same. They’ve both got three stages: the first stage of symptoms, the second stage of signs (edema, hypertension, weight gain) and finally they have fits (eclampsia or epilepsy); it doesn’t matter what we call it, it’s the same type of fit, and it’s preceded by severe headaches. So we’ve got two illnesses there, absolutely alike."

"We know if you don’t have enough progesterone then, you won’t get a good placenta, and you’ll either have renal or placental interruptions. Preeclampsia represents renal complications, whereas placental complications affect fetal growth."

[In pregnant women] "I wouldn’t use progesterone without considering the diet"

Estrogen, Progesterone and Cancer

"The women that you give the estrogen to, they’re the ones who get the cancer. I very rarely have cancer in my progesterone- treated PMS group, practically, I would say, never."

Estrogen, Progesterone and (Peri)Menopause

[For menopause] "We can use progesterone instead of estrogen replacement therapy. Women don’t need any estrogen. Progesterone alone will do it."

[perimenopausal women] "But even some of those don’t need progesterone, they can just go on with their lifestyle, if we give them the three-hourly starch diet first."

Diet and PMS

Diet of women with severe premenstrual syndrome and the effect of changing to a three‐hourly starch diet

While awaiting their first appointment, 84 women with severe premenstrual syndrome (PMS) completed a questionnaire detailing all food and drink consumed on seven consecutive days. The average daytime interval between starch-containing foods was 7 hours, with an overnight interval averaging 13 ½ hours. This suggested that women with PMS might benefit from shorter food intervals between starch-containing foods and avoidance of large meals. On receipt of their questionnaires women were advised to follow a three-hourly starch diet, which was beneficial in 54 per cent with improvement in a further 20 per cent. The diet alone proved effective in 19 per cent, who needed no additional medication for full relief of premenstrual symptoms.

Last edited:

tara

Great stuff, thanks PakPik.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
L

lollipop

"They will not pick up progesterone if adrenalin is present, if there’s been a lot of stress, and they will not pick up progesterone when the blood sugar is low
Agree with Tara and Charlie @PakPik good stuff. I particularly found this quote fascinating...have to reflect because at certain points of time with high adrenaline raging, I felt myself calm down with a progest-e dose. Maybe another factor was at play...

OP
P

PakPik

Agree with Tara and Charlie @PakPik good stuff. I particularly found this quote fascinating...have to reflect because at certain points of time with high adrenaline raging, I felt myself calm down with a progest-e dose. Maybe another factor was at play...
Hi Lisa!
I know about progesterone's nervous system calming effects -it was wonderful when I used it-. I think that progesterone is still able to have exert some of its effects even in situations when adrenaline may be high. I doubt that a complete 100% blockage of progesterone receptors/actions ever takes place -I think that would be deadly?-. K. Dalton probably is referring to a profound dampening of progesterone function under physiologically stressful conditions, but not a complete blockage -though if a person doesn't have enough sugar available it may awell get close to a complete blockage-. That's what I get from Dr. Dalton and from my own experience.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Hi Lisa!
I know about progesterone's nervous system calming effects -it was wonderful when I used it-. I think that progesterone is still able to have exert some of its effects even in situations when adrenaline may be high. I doubt that a complete 100% blockage of progesterone receptors/actions ever takes place -I think that would be deadly?-. K. Dalton probably is referring to a profound dampening of progesterone function under physiological stressful conditions, but not a complete blockage -though if a person doesn't have enough sugar available it may well get close to complete blockage-.
Makes sense and also probably the effect of not using progesterone efficiently becomes more pronounced when adrenaline levels are consistently high over longer periods of time rather than short bursts...

OP
P

PakPik

Makes sense and also probably the effect of not using progesterone efficiently becomes more pronounced when adrenaline levels are consistently high over longer periods of time rather than short bursts...
That makes sense indeed

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals