Improving Liver Function Before Going Full Peat? Dealing With Abdominal Fat

OP
P

panda

Could anybody direct me to some good reads about salt and water retention?

I have read some Peat articles about this, about salt helping with water retention, but basically any other place in the web say salt causes water retention.

For sure I have been eating a lot of salt (10-15g a day)

Peata

nikotrope said:
Peata said:
I've also determined what was causing those weird feelings related to eating sometimes. it has to do with not taking in enough calories -not just daily total calories, but let's say i go til noon on only a few hundred. then, when i eat, i will get those weird feelings - weakness, lightheaded, stronger faster pulse, and an uncomfortable, strange feeling inside that's hard to describe. it just sucks.

I feel exactly the same but didn't really made the link to eating more early in the day. Thanks!

I seem to have refined this even more to needing more protein (not just more calories). I noticed I was still getting the weird feelings now and then. But when I upped protein to 120 g. (give or take), the feelings never came back again, and that's been 2.5 weeks ago.

So I'm not sure exactly why protein was so important, but it's great since I increased it. Now I crave protein foods a lot more than I did. I seem to have more energy because of the protein (balanced w carbs of course). Just wanted to update on that.

nikotrope

Peata said:
I seem to have refined this even more to needing more protein (not just more calories). I noticed I was still getting the weird feelings now and then. But when I upped protein to 120 g. (give or take), the feelings never came back again, and that's been 2.5 weeks ago.

So I'm not sure exactly why protein was so important, but it's great since I increased it. Now I crave protein foods a lot more than I did. I seem to have more energy because of the protein (balanced w carbs of course). Just wanted to update on that.

Same here, I upped protein to a minimum of 120g a week ago and I feel less tired.

RPDiciple

“We’re finding this old dog of aspirin already knows new tricks,” said Dr. Greg Steinberg, a co-principal investigator of the study. “In the current paper we show that, in contrast to exercise or metformin which increase AMPK activity by altering the cells energy balance, the effects of salicylate is totally reliant on a single Ser108 amino acid of the beta 1 subunit.
More simply, their findings show that the salicylate component of Aspirin turns up cellular metabolism that translates into burning body fat as determined in animal studies using both normal mice and mice that lacked a key sequence that the salicylate reacts with via the AMPK protein.
“We show that salicylate increases fat burning and reduces liver fat in obese mice and that this does not occur in genetically modified mice lacking the beta1 subunit of AMPK,” says Steinberg.
The researchers are extending their findings in future large clinical trials to determine whether salsalate (a well-tolerated aspirin derivative) can prevent Type 2 diabetes.

khan

haidut said:
cantstoppeating said:
So anyway, getting the liver in good shape before going full into Peating, I've gleaned the following:

• moderate amounts of sugar
  • reduce glucose (eliminate starch), and focus on consuming fructose (fructose powder, oranges, watermelon)
  • caffeine
  • vitamin K2
  • Vitamin B1 (thiamine) & B2 (riboflavin)
  • taurine

Hat tip to Haidut's recent insights:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5842&p=69619#p69619

If you need more options, I would add to the mix phosphatidylcholine (4g daily in divided doses) and butyric acid. You can get phosphatidylcholine from most vitamin stores and butyric acid is available from some vendors online. Both substances are prescribed in some European countries and Malaysia for various liver conditions including fatty liver.

I am feeling quite well after using this protocol. In the end of this month, I will do some blood tests to figure out my liver condition. Can prolonged use of this protocol leads to other imbalances such as magnesium?

• reduce glucose (eliminate starch), and focus on consuming fructose (fructose powder, oranges, watermelon)
  • caffeine
  • vitamin K2
  • taurine

khan said:
I am feeling quite well after using this protocol. In the end of this month, I will do some blood tests to figure out my liver condition. Can prolonged use of this protocol leads to other imbalances such as magnesium?

• caffeine
  • vitamin K2
  • taurine

I'm sure it could if you only consume the above, but they're taken with the backdrop of a nutrient dense diet (i.e. liver, oysters, shrimp, coffee, OJ). For magnesium Peat is fond of saying coffee contains magnesium but I've found it to be too little to be of value, so I supplement magnesium as magnesium carbonate.

khan

cantstoppeating said:
khan said:

• caffeine
  • vitamin K2
  • taurine

I'm sure it could if you only consume the above, but they're taken with the backdrop of a nutrient dense diet (i.e. liver, oysters, shrimp, coffee, OJ). For magnesium Peat is fond of saying coffee contains magnesium but I've found it to be too little to be of value, so I supplement magnesium as magnesium carbonate.

Thanks for the replies. Can we add biotin to the above list? I had a bit elevated liver enzymes but now according to tests its becoming fine. I had also my liver and kidneys and doc said everything is fine.

Liver values checked in Jan 2015 were
AFOS= 71
ALAT 47
GT= 42

khan

khan said:
cantstoppeating said:
khan said:

• caffeine
  • vitamin K2
  • taurine

Thanks for the replies. Can we add biotin to the above list? I had a bit elevated liver enzymes but now according to tests its becoming fine. I had also my liver and kidneys ultrasound and doc said everything is fine.

Liver values checked in Jan 2015 were
AFOS= 71
ALAT 47
GT= 42

sweetpeat

narouz said:
If someone is hypothyroid,
won't they likely have liver issues?

My lab work from 4 years ago showed normal liver enzymes with a TSH of 4.2. I had mid-range t4 but bottom of the barrel t3 though, so it seems there was a conversion issue or blockage somewhere. Can there be liver issues without it showing on lab work? I was also under a lot of stress at the time and likely estrogen dominant.

OP
P

panda

Have anybody succeeded dealing with your abdominal fat? Any new protocol/experiments you have tried?

tara

YuraCZ said:
Protocol? Don't eat like a pig and exercise?
Not a reliable protocol. :)

tara

YuraCZ said:
tara said:
YuraCZ said:
Not a reliable protocol. :)
and what is reliable? Watching TV and eat tons of sugar? Good luck.. :roll:

Oh, ok, sorry. I just reread the context. So you didn't mean to propose an obvious and reliable protocol that anyone but a pig could follow to success, just a protocol you have experimented with. :)

yoshiesque

From reading the above posts I can say that this is what I believe in. Doing Peat, while watching your calorie intake to make sure its not a serious excess (ie a few hundred calories over your daily requirement).

BobbyDukes

YuraCZ said:

What sort of exercise are you referring to? I'm assuming this exercise programme is backed by scientific literature. Who would have thought it, huh? Exercise for weight loss!

Don't eat like a pig? Maybe you are in the wrong community. If you are increasing your metabolism, your hunger will increase as a side effect to your increased metabolic rate. Try sitting under some red lights for a few hours and watch how hungry you get.

YuraCZ

BobbyDukes said:
YuraCZ said:

What sort of exercise are you referring to? I'm assuming this exercise programme is backed by scientific literature. Who would have thought it, huh? Exercise for weight loss!

Don't eat like a pig? Maybe you are in the wrong community. If you are increasing your metabolism, your hunger will increase as a side effect to your increased metabolic rate. Try sitting under some red lights for a few hours and watch how hungry you get.
fast walk, easy cycling everyday for 30-60 min + some body weight exercises (core stability, correcting disbalance, stretching..)if they're sitting 10-12 hours a day you can't expect good health!

narouz

I posted this over in the soluble fiber thread,
but it has a lot of interesting liver-related stuff too.

Globe Artichokes--you know what they are, right?
Looks like they have some good liver-improving effects.
I quoted some of the Wiki entry about them,
and then quoted some bits from some other related things
that were referenced in the globe artichokes entry,
like Cynarine and Sulfad...

The Globe Artichoke (Cynara cardunculus var. scolymus)[1] is a variety of a species of thistle cultivated as a food...

Medical uses
The total antioxidant capacity of artichoke flower heads is one of the highest reported for vegetables.[15] Cynarine is a chemical constituent in Cynara. The majority of the cynarine found in artichoke is located in the pulp of the leaves, though dried leaves and stems of artichoke also contain it. It inhibits taste receptors, making water (and other foods and drinks) seem sweet.[16]

Studies have shown artichoke to aid digestion, liver function[citation needed] and gallbladder function, and raise the ratio of HDL to LDL.[17] This reduces cholesterol levels, which diminishes the risk for arteriosclerosis and coronary heart disease.[18] Aqueous extracts from artichoke leaves have also been shown to reduce cholesterol by inhibiting HMG-CoA reductase and having a hypolipidemic influence, lowering blood cholesterol.[19] Artichoke contains the bioactive agents apigenin and luteolin.[20] C. scolymus also seems to have a bifidogenic effect on beneficial gut bacteria.[21] Its effect in arresting pathogenic bacteria may be attributed to the notable presence of phenolic compounds. Both are higher in the baby anzio artichoke (Cyrnara scolymus).[22] Artichoke leaf extract has proved helpful for patients with functional dyspepsia,[23] and may ameliorate symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.[24][25]

Cynarine is a hydroxycinnamic acid and a biologically active chemical constituent of artichoke (Cynara cardunculus).[1]
Chemically, it is an ester formed from quinic acid and two units of caffeic acid.
It inhibits taste receptors, making water (and other foods and drinks) seem sweet.[2]
It is an ingredient of the drug Sulfad.

Sulfad is a phytopharmaceutical bioactive compound including CAF-6 & CAF-8 (main active ingredient 1,5 dicaffeoylquinic acid, also known as cynarine), Mariana90 (main active ingredient > 70% silibinin or (2R,3R)-3,5,7-trihydroxy-2-[(2R,3R)-3-(4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl)-2-(hydroxymethyl)-2,3-dihydrobenzol [1,4]dioxin-6-yl]chroman-4-one), Glyc-6 (main active ingredient glycyrrhizinic acid or (3β,18α)-30-hydroxy-11,30-dioxoolean-12-en-3-yl 2-O-β-D-glucopyranuronosyl-β-D-glucopyranosiduronic acid), turmeric (main active ingredient C.I. 75300 or (1E,6E)-1,7-bis(4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl)-1,6-heptadiene-3,5-dione).

Medicinal use
Sulfad is used in the management of different liver diseases including steatosis, steatohepatitis and viral hepatitis. It acts as potent antioxidant and hepatoprotective agent. Also it reduces triglycerides and LDL by different mechanisms

Antioxidant effects
Oxidative stress is defined as structural and/or functional injury produced in tissues by the uncontrolled formation of pro-oxidant free radicals. Sulfad preserves the functional and structural integrity of hepatocyte membranes by preventing alterations of their phospholipid structure and by restoring alkaline phosphatase and gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase activities. Cynarine in Sulfad plays a major role in the prevention of oxidative damage to hepatocyte membranes

Anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic effects
Studies have shown that one of Sulfad's active constituents has a number of effects including inhibition of neutrophil migration, marked inhibition of leukotriene synthesis and formation of prostaglandins.

Liver regeneration
Sulfad produced a significant increase in the formation of ribosomes and in DNA synthesis, as well as an increase in protein synthesis. Interestingly, the increase in protein synthesis was induced by Sulfad only in injured livers, not in healthy controls.
As could be shown with isolated hepatocytes, Sulfad acts directly on the metabolism of the cell nucleus. Sulfad lead a normalization of the pathologically altered protein synthesis by increasing RNA synthesis. This improvement or normalization of the plasma protein picture, having been proven in several clinical studies

Attachments

• globe artichoke.jpg
    globe artichoke.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 549
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals