Improving Liver Function Before Going Full Peat? Dealing With Abdominal Fat

OP
P

panda

Any updates in the last couple of months? How are you doing with your abdominal fat?

No changes in abdominal fat. But now I have something new to worry about. High blood pressure.

I was at the doctors office for a tooth pain related problem, and they checked my BP, it was 169/115.
I have been checking it daily since, and it's usually around 160s/100.

My BP used to be 140/90 before peating, now it's clear I have high blood pressure and I need to do something about it.

I will try to stop all the supplements I'm using, and more probably since I need to lose weight, I'll do some kind of low carb, or diet.
For sure, I'm reducing the large amount of sugars I was consuming, I think the sugar may be the problem.

I've had anxiety problems (panic disorder) for many years, and I was using benzodiazepines. I think Peating helped me to get rid of them, I started tapering the benzos and now I'm not taking them anymore. But this benzo withdrawal also could be causing the HBP.

For now, all the things I was doing, all the changes are suspects for the high blood pressure. Since I'm doing a lot of Peaty things, I need to reevaluate.

HBP seems dangerous to me, and I really don't like these numbers and I need to do something about it. If that means losing weight the low carb way, I'll do it.
I'll keep my mind open, but with these BP numbers it's pretty hard for me to think my health is improving.

honeybee

I don't post much but I thought this deserved a bump for all of the people who are struggling and for new peeps. It is INVALUABLE info regarding the liver and overall health even tho the title refers to abdominal fat.
I've been following some Peat principals for about 4 years. In those 4 years I tried most of the supplements that are talked about and most dietary principles for my situation.
However nothing really worked well for me until I cleaned up my liver-which was always normal per lab results. I am finally starting to feel good/normal after about 15 years of health misery.
Read at least Haiduts posts if you can't slog through the whole 9 pages.
I re-read this periodically to remind myself.
My 2cents.

Katty

I don't post much but I thought this deserved a bump for all of the people who are struggling and for new peeps. It is INVALUABLE info regarding the liver and overall health even tho the title refers to abdominal fat.
I've been following some Peat principals for about 4 years. In those 4 years I tried most of the supplements that are talked about and most dietary principles for my situation.
However nothing really worked well for me until I cleaned up my liver-which was always normal per lab results. I am finally starting to feel good/normal after about 15 years of health misery.
My 2cents.

@honeybee What specifically worked for you to fix your liver? A certain amount of caffeine per day? K2?

honeybee

@honeybee What specifically worked for you to fix your liver? A certain amount of caffeine per day? K2?
I used Thorne k2 drops and caffeine or coffee (whichever convenient ) every morning for about 4 weeks at the beginning of this year.
I also ate ALOT of dried fruit, homemade fudge and cheese while doing this protocol. I still eat cheese but switched to fresh fruit. Dropped the fudge.
I can now sleep through the night without waking.
I respond well to t3 now. I tried t3 a couple years ago with unsuccessful results. T3 also helps me sleep now-this is the opposite of when I first tried it.

Orion

I am running in to all the issues in this thread. Glad I keep finding these.

Going to try the no starch approach for a few weeks.

What are thoughts on milk? is it to insulinogenic for an impaired liver?

Things I have gathered and will try:

~300mg thiamine with meals
caffeine, start at 50mg with meals and increase weekly
some B2/B6
K2 - I have tried high and low, what is a minimum ideal?
vitA/E

no starch
apple/grape juice and concentrates
cooked fruit, dried fruit
low fat - coconut oil
MILK???

lean protein
collagen and glycine

I have MB, preg, DHEA, andro, 11-keto, T3, B3, aspirin, but will wait until things improve, these have all crashed me recently when experimenting and caused serious insomnia.

Think I have over done the sugar approach with respect to lowering cortisol. This has helped with acne, but I am getting the abdominal weight gain since I have keep starch and fat intake moderate.

Mauritio

Coffee REVERSES fatty liver and potentially leaky gut.

Coffee supplementation to a high fat diet significantly reversed levels of cholesterol (p<0.001), alanine aminotransferase (an enzyme which levels increase in the blood when the liver is damaged) (p<0.05), amount of fat in the liver cells (steatosis) (p<0.001) and ballooning degeneration (p<0.05). The combination of coffee and a high fat diet also reduced weight gain over time (p=0.028) in the mice. The study results suggest that coffee supplementation could cause variations in the intestinal tight junctions, which regulate the permeability of the intestine.

The scientists also showed how coffee protects against NAFLD by raising levels of a protein called Zonulin (ZO)-1, which lessens the permeability of the gut.1 Experts believe that increased gut permeability contributes to liver injury and worsens NAFLD

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160413083851.htm

Last edited:

raypeatclips

A.R

Not quite, coffee reverses those things, not caffeine. They used decaffeinated coffee in that article you linked.

"Group one received a standard diet, group two had a high fat diet and group three was given a high fat diet plus a decaffeinated coffee solution."
I've personally experienced how coffee is much better tolerated by me, rather than caffeine pills on their own

Mossy

I've personally experienced how coffee is much better tolerated by me, rather than caffeine pills on their own
Same for me. Though coffee does amp me up--caffeine pills are a whole other level.

GreekDemiGod

What other implications would coffee-induced anxiety would have? Could poor liver health be a cause of poor mental health, sleep? Could it affect energy levels?

teds

Forum Supporter
My 2cents.
Hey @honeybee any chance you could link specifically to haiduts post on liver?

Tansia

The past few years I had read a lot about nutrition. But just until this last month I'm coming around to the ideas of Raymound Peat.

I have read (obsessively) all I can, including this forum, and sometimes it's overwhelming, there are just too many variables to track.

I don't care much about gaining weight, if it improves my health, still, I do care some about gaining abdominal fat.
I started to follow a lot of Peat guidelines this last month, I'm 44yo, 5'11''. Last month I was 220 lbs and 40in, now I'm 230 and 42in.
I knew weight gain was coming, and I told myself I was going to reevaluate at 42in and here I am.

Gaining abdominal fat do concern me, and I started to read about what could I do about it, while being Peat.

I found this (below, please do read it) amazing, spectacular post by Haidut, which help me to understand and probably solve some of my issues?

Right now, I cut the aspirin and Niacinamide, and started taking around 10g of LE Super K (4 softgels daily), and drinking more caffeine (~300 mg), hoping to improve my liver function.

What do you think of the strategy? Any other advice?

I've read that old Haiduts post that's been quoted here and wonder what/where are the answers to his questions?