Lose Fat Not Pounds & Seeing Is Believing (before & after pics)

"In one of the studies in which rats had been taught learned helplessness so they would drown in five or six minutes, just being able to see another rat escape would let the informed rat go for days without drowning. Just the recognition that someone else did it can make all the difference." Ray Peat

Just like the ill conceived original food pyramid, the weight chart is another "guide" that caused more unnecessary stress and unhealthy "Skinny Fat" people. In case you never heard of the term, they are the ones you look at and say, "Eat a burger already!" The Skinny Fat are the unlucky winners that hit their perfect numbers on the scale, but unfortunately are mostly comprised of fat, without a muscle to be seen. It is another "one size fits all" invention that has also backfired. It gained traction because doctors endorsed it, and those who wanted to prove they cared about their health jumped through the hoops. Going to the doctor for any issue, brought on such stress from the scale, because that number is gonna tell if you've been naughty or nice. Unfortunately that perfect number does not accurately represent what that number is CREATED WITH and COMPOSED OF. Considering that fat is much more volumous than muscle the weight chart ended up praising the "Skinny Fat" and overlook the strong.

"Skinny Fat" is admired in younger years, with their thick supple skin hiding what lurks beneath, and looks fantastic in clothes, but Skinny Fat is nevertheless not a pretty sight in the later years. The older Skinny fat people love to brag about how they have maintained that perfect weight chart number all their years, while their audience, looks and listens worriedly, at the skeletal remains that will inevitably be their fate one day. The fact is Skinny Fat backfires when you get old. The day I realized Skinny Fat self had betrayed me, was the day I was all dressed up for my son's wedding. Having worked hard, dieting, with a healthy lemonade fast , to get into my tiny size small dress, which had no stretch, I felt proud having acheived my perfect number, which was 128 for my 5'4 height. I felt I was being reasonable chosing that approved number, being there were smaller numbers I could have chosen. I had weighed all the past numbers I had acheived, to imagine a now "healthier me. Reflecting back on my previous perfect numbers, when I was 20 and weighed 106, I knew that looked terrible, and my pre-baby weight perfect number of 119, I figured was good for then, buta little too unreasonable now, for my 50's. So here I was feeling ready to impress for the day, until my cousin sees me and says, "You look terrible! You're too skinny". I was not only upset by the timing of his concerned comment, but puzzled as to how he could even see "terrible"! Several months later, I captured glimpes here and there in the mirror, of myself, in certain lighting or certain angles, which showed me what he was seeing, and he was right! That so called perfect number made me look old! Fortunately I was a good year into applying some of Ray Peat's science, removing PUFA's, but I could not get my head around the sugar consumption. Now that i was Skinny Fat, I decided that I needed to gain muscle and started RE-READING Ray's science on the subject, and suddenly the phrase i had read, and heard, many times before about "sugar spares muscle" finally made sense! So I put my mind to it, and told my husband that I was gonna put on 15 pounds, swapping out fat for muscle. Knowing the numbers on the scale were gonna be scary, I just didn't look at them, and added in all that Ray Peat sugar, and what a surprise! Not only did I put on 20 pounds, but I still fit into all my same clothes! I looked strong and young again! My snakey jiggle legs were thick and firm again, and even better than when I was younger and Skinny Fat! I get it now, that when you eat protein alone your body is gonna fight for it's fair share of it, converting some into sugar for energy. The more effective approach to building muscle is to provide your body with sugar first, for the energy it needs, which keeps the dogs happy when you go in and feed the muscles.

Fast forward a year, and many starch splurges later, my girlfriend and I were talking about losing some weight, I suggested the Ray Peat way, with losing fat instead. She was doubtful all that sugar would work for anyone and went her usual path of low carb, zero sugar and intermittent fasting, never to have lost more than a couple of pounds in the past, just to quickly put it back on again. Falling on deaf ears I decided to appeal to her eyes and put on my romper, which was 2 inches from buttoning and sent her the pick. I told her my route would be the Ray Peat "sugar sparing muscle" science, with no starches, high protein and high fruit with some sugar for good measure. When all was said and done I lost no weight and neither did she, but the difference was I fit into my romper! I lost volume! I sent her my pic proof that Ray Peat is right AGAIN! Needless to say she was amazed and puzzled. She could not understand how I was looking like I did in a size small, while she is the same height and build as me, and only 10 pounds heavier in an extra large, so I also sent her a pic with a scale of what 5 pounds of fat looks like compared to 5 pounds of muscle. It speaked volumes to the FACT that FAT is the PROBLEM, NOT POUNDS and that you really are what you eat!

ATTACHED is a photo of two of me, one in rlthecsixmze small m romper weighing 132 from "healthy fasting" with the Lemonade Diet, and the other weighing 152 from "Ray Peating" with lots of protein, fruit AND sugar. I also attached a photo of the volume difference between fat and muscle, and a weight chart from the good old days. Oh no, according to the chart i am obese!

Attachments

• 20191209_113020.jpg
    20191209_113020.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 2,187
  • 37ac964b764a2d4824edd34a52885947.png
    37ac964b764a2d4824edd34a52885947.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,020
  • download.jpeg.jpg
    download.jpeg.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 2,115
Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Funny thing about low carb is, even "Low Carb Gurus" will state that the body needs at least 130g of glucose a day. If you aren't getting that through diet or glycogen, you have to get it through gluconeogenesis. But, converting protein to glucose isn't that efficient, and you need about 1.4g of protein to make 1g of sugar. So, on only 50g of carbs a day, you would have to convert about 112g of protein. Along with the 80-100g of protein that Peat suggests even smaller, mostly sedentary people need, you already need about 190-210g of protein just to maintain lean mass on only 50g of carbs a day.

No wonder it doesn't work so well in the long run.

A baseline of 100g of protein and about 150g of carbs should be the starting point for most people, and you can add to that based on activity levels and build and such.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Funny thing about low carb is, even "Low Carb Gurus" will state that the body needs at least 130g of glucose a day. If you aren't getting that through diet or glycogen, you have to get it through gluconeogenesis. But, converting protein to glucose isn't that efficient, and you need about 1.4g of protein to make 1g of sugar. So, on only 50g of carbs a day, you would have to convert about 112g of protein. Along with the 80-100g of protein that Peat suggests even smaller, mostly sedentary people need, you already need about 190-210g of protein just to maintain lean mass on only 50g of carbs a day.

A baseline of 100g of protein and about 150g of carbs should be the starting point for most people, and you can add to that based on activity levels and build and such.
When I tried low carb for a few months I just couldn't take the pain! My legs ached so bad from lack of carbs, and body eating itself. I don't know how people do it for so long! I have seen some acheive some weight loss, but not much muscle gain.

B

Braveheart

"A baseline of 100g of protein and about 150g of carbs should be the starting point for most people, and you can add to that based on activity levels and build and such".....Absolutely!

mmb82

@Rinse & rePeat Just curious how much fat you consumed in your diet. You mention that your approach included lots of protein, fruit, sugar, and no starch, but you did not mention fat intake.

This post is awesome by the way. To me, it really emphasizes how mainstream views on weight and dietary approaches, especially those intended for weight loss, are completely flawed and misleading (at best). Thanks for sharing!

Jessie

Nice results, I hope you reach your desired state. I'm not sure how much calcium you're getting, but that can also raise the metabolism and keep a decent muscle:fat ratio. Low fat meats/dairy with fruits/sugar make fat loss an almost effortless process. A small amount of coconut oil may also be helpful.

Yeah, and the thing about gluconeogenesis is it's always activated under the influence of cortisol, no matter if you're "fat adapted" or not. It's why low-carbers dance around the topic of cortisol, or they just try to defend high cortisol as a good thing.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"A baseline of 100g of protein and about 150g of carbs should be the starting point for most people, and you can add to that based on activity levels and build and such".....Absolutely!
Considering Peat says that muscle burns fat it makes sense. I spent my whole life having a little protein with a couple of sides, and now just having protein with no sides and sugar instead makes it very easy to get in the minimum. The great thing is you don't lose the muscles you've built keeping protein and sugar high.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat Just curious how much fat you consumed in your diet. You mention that your approach included lots of protein, fruit, sugar, and no starch, but you did not mention fat intake.

This post is awesome by the way. To me, it really emphasizes how mainstream views on weight and dietary approaches, especially those intended for weight loss, are completely flawed and misleading (at best). Thanks for sharing!
Thanks mmb82! As far as the fats, I heeded Ray Peat's advice and kept them lower. I ate all the fat on my grass fed rib eye steak, but i didn't use added fats. To keep it easy for my girlfriend, I told her to eat and prepare things as you would if you were surviving on a deserted island. For that reason I didn't consume dairy either. I wanted to isolate my variables to prove it would be from fruit, sugar and protein. So it was simple salted boiled eggs, boiled meat soups with different onions and seasoning, cold shrimp with lemon and salt, grilled scallops, salted chicken wings, flat iron and rib eye steaks. It didn't take long to drop the inches so I didn't tire of my choices, especiall with all the fruit. I used sugar in my coffee, but focused mostly on fruit, adding some sugar if the fruit was too sour. I don't know if you have seen the show, but I called my approach "The Naked & Afraid Diet". Nobody gains fat on that show surviving no matter how much they the eat. Having so much more culinary experience cooking without oils I would have an easier time doing it again.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Nice results, I hope you reach your desired state. I'm not sure how much calcium you're getting, but that can also raise the metabolism and keep a decent muscle:fat ratio. Low fat meats/dairy with fruits/sugar make fat loss an almost effortless process. A small amount of coconut oil may also be helpful.

Yeah, and the thing about gluconeogenesis is it's always activated under the influence of cortisol, no matter if you're "fat adapted" or not. It's why low-carbers dance around the topic of cortisol, or they just try to defend high cortisol as a good thing.
Thanks Jessie! It was just a short term experiment for my friend. I cook a lot and eat enjoyably, with lots of dairy. Being my friend is unhealthily fat, I thought it was most important for her to just believe, the calcium lesson would have come right after :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"In one of the studies in which rats had been taught learned helplessness so they would drown in five or six minutes, just being able to see another rat escape would let the informed rat go for days without drowning. Just the recognition that someone else did it can make all the difference." Ray Peat

Just like the ill conceived original food pyramid, the weight chart is another "guide" that caused more unnecessary stress and unhealthy "Skinny Fat" people. In case you never heard of the term, they are the ones you look at and say, "Eat a burger already!" The Skinny Fat are the unlucky winners that hit their perfect numbers on the scale, but unfortunately are mostly comprised of fat, without a muscle to be seen. It is another "one size fits all" invention that has also backfired. It gained traction because doctors endorsed it, and those who wanted to prove they cared about their health jumped through the hoops. Going to the doctor for any issue, brought on such stress from the scale, because that number is gonna tell if you've been naughty or nice. Unfortunately that perfect number does not accurately represent what that number is CREATED WITH and COMPOSED OF. Considering that fat is much more volumous than muscle the weight chart ended up praising the "Skinny Fat" and overlook the strong.

"Skinny Fat" is admired in younger years, with their thick supple skin hiding what lurks beneath, and looks fantastic in clothes, but Skinny Fat is nevertheless not a pretty sight in the later years. The older Skinny fat people love to brag about how they have maintained that perfect weight chart number all their years, while their audience, looks and listens worriedly, at the skeletal remains that will inevitably be their fate one day. The fact is Skinny Fat backfires when you get old. The day I realized Skinny Fat self had betrayed me, was the day I was all dressed up for my son's wedding. Having worked hard, dieting, with a healthy lemonade fast , to get into my tiny size small dress, which had no stretch, I felt proud having acheived my perfect number, which was 128 for my 5'4 height. I felt I was being reasonable chosing that approved number, being there were smaller numbers I could have chosen. I had weighed all the past numbers I had acheived, to imagine a now "healthier me. Reflecting back on my previous perfect numbers, when I was 20 and weighed 106, I knew that looked terrible, and my pre-baby weight perfect number of 119, I figured was good for then, buta little too unreasonable now, for my 50's. So here I was feeling ready to impress for the day, until my cousin sees me and says, "You look terrible! You're too skinny". I was not only upset by the timing of his concerned comment, but puzzled as to how he could even see "terrible"! Several months later, I captured glimpes here and there in the mirror, of myself, in certain lighting or certain angles, which showed me what he was seeing, and he was right! That so called perfect number made me look old! Fortunately I was a good year into applying some of Ray Peat's science, removing PUFA's, but I could not get my head around the sugar consumption. Now that i was Skinny Fat, I decided that I needed to gain muscle and started RE-READING Ray's science on the subject, and suddenly the phrase i had read, and heard, many times before about "sugar spares muscle" finally made sense! So I put my mind to it, and told my husband that I was gonna put on 15 pounds, swapping out fat for muscle. Knowing the numbers on the scale were gonna be scary, I just didn't look at them, and added in all that Ray Peat sugar, and what a surprise! Not only did I put on 20 pounds, but I still fit into all my same clothes! I looked strong and young again! My snakey jiggle legs were thick and firm again, and even better than when I was younger and Skinny Fat! I get it now, that when you eat protein alone your body is gonna fight for it's fair share of it, converting some into sugar for energy. The more effective approach to building muscle is to provide your body with sugar first, for the energy it needs, which keeps the dogs happy when you go in and feed the muscles.

Fast forward a year, and many starch splurges later, my girlfriend and I were talking about losing some weight, I suggested the Ray Peat way, with losing fat instead. She was doubtful all that sugar would work for anyone and went her usual path of low carb, zero sugar and intermittent fasting, never to have lost more than a couple of pounds in the past, just to quickly put it back on again. Falling on deaf ears I decided to appeal to her eyes and put on my romper, which was 2 inches from buttoning and sent her the pick. I told her my route would be the Ray Peat "sugar sparing muscle" science, with no starches, high protein and high fruit with some sugar for good measure. When all was said and done I lost no weight and neither did she, but the difference was I fit into my romper! I lost volume! I sent her my pic proof that Ray Peat is right AGAIN! Needless to say she was amazed and puzzled. She could not understand how I was looking like I did in a size small, while she is the same height and build as me, and only 10 pounds heavier in an extra large, so I also sent her a pic with a scale of what 5 pounds of fat looks like compared to 5 pounds of muscle. It speaked volumes to the FACT that FAT is the PROBLEM, NOT POUNDS and that you really are what you eat!

ATTACHED is a photo of two of me, one in rlthecsixmze small m romper weighing 132 from "healthy fasting" with the Lemonade Diet, and the other weighing 152 from "Ray Peating" with lots of protein, fruit AND sugar. I also attached a photo of the volume difference between fat and muscle, and a weight chart from the good old days. Oh no, according to the chart i am obese!
I also forgot to mention that I was a little worried myself about getting into that 100% cotton romper. The first time was hard enough when it was new, but the second wearing it was washed and had shrunk a bit!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
What to do if you want to gain fat?
Supposedly adding in more fats, and healthy starches if they are tolerated, but I came from a place of being unable to gain weight for many years so I know it isn't as easy as that. I was SO thin that gossip was passed around that I was anorexic. That really upset me, cause I ate more than anybody at the table, having a third portion of mashed potatoes and gravy everytime. I think what finally put weight on me was avoiding milk and eating a lot of restaurant food (I did wrote restaurant reviews). Unfortunately it also created a new set of problems, besides the need for a new wardrobe :/

ursidae

Supposedly adding in more fats, and healthy starches if they are tolerated, but I came from a place of being unable to gain weight for many years so I know it isn't as easy as that. I was SO thin that gossip was passed around that I was anorexic. That really upset me, cause I ate more than anybody at the table, having a third portion of mashed potatoes and gravy everytime. I think what finally put weight on me was avoiding milk and eating a lot of restaurant food (I did wrote restaurant reviews). Unfortunately it also created a new set of problems, besides the need for a new wardrobe :/
yes have already gotten comments about anorexia. I tried to gain weight eating pizza and junk in the past and lost even more weight because I woud guess it caused inflammation and malabsorption. Probably finding the appropriate diet would result in reaching one's optimal body composition whether it be they need to gain or lose fat. Was extremely skinny on the fruits+meat+eggs+coconut oil. BMI can drop to 16 doing this diet. I couldn't achieve the weight necessary to recover my menstrual cycle until adding starch

Regina

You look fantastic!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I feel your frustration trying to gain weight. People always told me I was lucky, but coming from both ends of it, I would much rather lose weight than unsuccessfully try to gain weight with always feeling full and sluggish shoveling in so much food. In retrospect the one thing I DIDN'T do when I was underweight was eat red meat. I got the craving for it when I was pregnant with my first son. My body was obviously telling me something. Even after I gave birth to him I kept craving fatty rib eye steaks, and I never has that underweight problem after that. Maybe it was that something in it that my body needed to get itself on the right track?

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• 20210516_133039.jpg
    20210516_133039.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 839
Did you also lift weights? I'm pretty sure that last photo you shared was of somebody who was including weightlifting for muscle gain. Did you do that as well, or the muscles just built themselves?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Did you also lift weights? I'm pretty sure that last photo you shared was of somebody who was including weightlifting for muscle gain. Did you do that as well, or the muscles just built themselves?
Wealth I have not exercised for 30 years! That after pic was pure protein (and a good amount of it, fruit and sugat). Ray Peat says building muscle is 90% diet and 10% moving around. I am on my feet bustling around the house all day, keeping things together and cooking A LOT! I don't turn TV on till 8:00 at night. My results are pure Ray Peat!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes muscles "feed" and build themselves, not to an exaggerated body builder way, but big and toned yes. If you think I must have exercised check out my post on Aging Fast & Alien Confusion and you will see that I am not into exercising :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals