Why Did I Lose Weight With Paleo If It Increases Cortisol?

Watson350

Have they posted pictures of their ripped bodies? Raise the protein, eat fruits, vegetables as you please.
Im 6'6 220 built like Adonis, anyone that tells you adrenaline is what makes you lose fat etc its ridiculous
i have to add that prior to peating i had a six pack, very lean/low bodyfat, but my immune system was terrible. i got flus and colds 4/5 times a year. Five years of peating, and whilst i do have fatty liver issues, overweight, belly fat, i havent had a bad flu once in 5 years. I was also able to halt my hair loss. I also think my mental health has also been a lot better.

As you say, should we just think more about our long term objectives than the beach body look.
i have to add that prior to peating i had a six pack, very lean/low bodyfat, but my immune system was terrible. i got flus and colds 4/5 times a year. Five years of peating, and whilst i do have fatty liver issues, overweight, belly fat, i havent had a bad flu once in 5 years. I was also able to halt my hair loss. I also think my mental health has also been a lot better.

As you say, should we just think more about our long term objectives than the beach body look.
I think you can be ripped and peat provided your macros are in order

OP
frant26

frant26

I am wondering however (like I posted in another thread) if one of the issues with IF may be chronic IF (overdoing it like I did to cause thyroid problems) versus short bouts of acute IF?

I wonder exactly the same. I wanna try this "intermittent intermittent fasting" and really cut down on fluids.

OP
frant26

frant26

Would just having a big breakfast and a big dinner (and nothing in between except maybe coffee with theanine) be considered intermittent fasting? Or it has to be 14+ hours of zero food?

Watson350

Would just having a big breakfast and a big dinner (and nothing in between except maybe coffee with theanine) be considered intermittent fasting? Or it has to be 14+ hours of zero food?
I dont think you can peat and do intermittent fasting. I also dont think intermittent fasting is that great it slows your metabolism and limits your ability to maximize your energy levels mentally for hours and hours. Yes raise your protein, which doest take that many calories. You'll have plenty of room for orange juice apples, and a bag of jackson's honest potato chips if your working out and doing some cardio. I love going for long walks getting some sun on my face.

Watson350

I dont think you can peat and do intermittent fasting. I also dont think intermittent fasting is that great for weightloss; it kills your metabolism and if you want your brain to be high functioning for hours and hours its not ideal. Yes raise your protein, which doest take that many calories. You'll have plenty of room for orange juice apples, and a bag of jackson's honest potato chips if your working out and doing some cardio. I love going for long walks getting some sun on my face.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Many years ago I started the Paleo diet. I was doing very low-carb and high protein/fat. I was also training at a gym. Stressful, cortisol-inducing behavior I understand, but I lost a lot of fat yet I had good muscle.

4 months later I discovered Peat's work and started eating much more sugar, milk and avoiding PUFAs. I gained around 25 pounds ever since (about 4 years now). Lower cortisol, yet higher body fat %.

A lot of the scientific evidence points to cortisol being the culprit for belly fat and fat gain in general. But if you notice my experience was the exact opposite, and I'm not the only one.

What are possible explanations for this?

I want to lose fat again but nothing works (I thought thyroid and calories would help but nope). Thinking to do intermittent fasting, but take theanine, progesterone, aspirin, vitamin D/E and in general anti-cortisol substances during the fast. Thoughts?
Have you tested cortisol that you know it's lower?
I think you'll only know if you're truly eating in a deficit if you count calories.
You could have higher endotoxins gut and bacteria overgrowth now, which is promoting fat gain and inhibiting thyroid function.

Watson350

I think you'll only know if you're truly eating in a deficit if you count calories.
You could have higher endotoxins gut and bacteria overgrowth now, which is promoting fat gain and inhibiting thyroid function.
305 lbs seated calf raises for reps. Thoughts?

OP
frant26

frant26

I think I have good digestion (i.e. often and okay shaped stool) and eat a carrot salad pretty much daily. Now that you mention measuring, is there a way of measuring bacterial overgrowth?

I tested negative for h.pylori, my TSH, PTH, prolactin are low, vitamin D is very good (I'm supplementing that, along with thyroid). But my temp/pulse are far from good. So yes I suspect there is something with the gut... but what and how to make sure?

DrJ

I had a similar background to you. Doing paleo with intermittent fasting until I bonked out and found peat stuff. I had been quite lean and put on about 20 lbs peating.

I can easily lose weight if I cut out all starch, eat LOTS of protein, and eat plenty of sugar. This may relate to feeding endotoxin i.e. lack of starch leads to less endotoxin, but I can't know for sure.

One thing you might try that I found helped me is taking plenty of vitamin c at intervals throughout the day. I think IF eventually causes total adrenal fatigue which tends to mean utterly depleting your vitamin c stores. You need to restore that and vitamin c will just help your metabolism in general. It should help keep your temps up.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I think I have good digestion (i.e. often and okay shaped stool) and eat a carrot salad pretty much daily. Now that you mention measuring, is there a way of measuring bacterial overgrowth?

I tested negative for h.pylori, my TSH, PTH, prolactin are low, vitamin D is very good (I'm supplementing that, along with thyroid). But my temp/pulse are far from good. So yes I suspect there is something with the gut... but what and how to make sure?
I don't know of any test sorry. Have you tries eliminating starches as DrJ mentioned?

OP
frant26

frant26

I had a similar background to you.

That's interesting. I don't eat much starch at all (except baked corn crackers), but maybe I'm not getting enough protein. What are your protein sources? Lean meats have too much phosphate, liver too much iron, and oxtail and cheese too much fat.

DrJ

You can deal with high phosphate by eating more calcium. My main protein is lean ground grass fed beef, eggs, cheese, and milk. I take a lactoferrin on the days I have beef to help deal with the iron problem.

Arrade

I exercised and had a negative calorie consumption, how did I lose weight *derp*

Elie

Forum Supporter
It's excess fluid. Get some acetazolamide and reduce fluid intake drastically and you will pee pee pee it all out in a week or three.

I break the tablets into fourths and trickle them in all day.

A gallon of fluid is over 8 pounds.
Is this safe? How long? Just one week?

tankasnowgod

Well, in addition to possible caloric deficit on paleo, another big benefit could be a dramatic reduction in endotoxin, and maybe serotonin. Reduction of PUFA oils, starches, iron fortified grains, alcohol (especially beer) and processed foods in general no doubt lowers the production of both, and prevents a lot of endotoxin and serotonin getting into the blood stream.

I lost lots of weight on IF, but also ran into hypo problems on it. My goal now is to try and lower endotoxin and serotonin production. I am using things like antibiotics, lactoferrin, charcoal and cascara or emodin..... but also doing "Intermittent Juice Fasting," which isn't really fasting, but I limit my intake to water/coffee with sugar/juice/soda during the "Fasting Window." It seems to have kick started weight loss a bit, while activity and calories have been kept the same (I track both with fitbit).

fradon

Many years ago I started the Paleo diet. I was doing very low-carb and high protein/fat. I was also training at a gym. Stressful, cortisol-inducing behavior I understand, but I lost a lot of fat yet I had good muscle.

4 months later I discovered Peat's work and started eating much more sugar, milk and avoiding PUFAs. I gained around 25 pounds ever since (about 4 years now). Lower cortisol, yet higher body fat %.

A lot of the scientific evidence points to cortisol being the culprit for belly fat and fat gain in general. But if you notice my experience was the exact opposite, and I'm not the only one.

What are possible explanations for this?

I want to lose fat again but nothing works (I thought thyroid and calories would help but nope). Thinking to do intermittent fasting, but take theanine, progesterone, aspirin, vitamin D/E and in general anti-cortisol substances during the fast. Thoughts?

the problem is not cortisol you need that to burn stored fat and glucose the problem is when you are in a stressed condition and you eat glucose the cortisol is suppose to go down or shut off so that insulin can do its job which is to drive glucose and amino acids into the cells.

but when happens when you are over stressed is cortisol does not shut down and then you have high glucose from what you just ate and then insulin sends it all to the belly and you get a lot of belly fat.

paleo/atkins/keto all do the same thing they burn through your stored glucose and you release a lot of water. some poeple can lose 15 pounds or more in water weight. but the weight comes right back when you start eating carbs again. but because insulin is kept at a minimum you do not store a lot of water weight so you stay thin.

OP
frant26

frant26

I thought stress and specifically cortisol caused cells to retain water. And sugars shouldn't be so insulinogenic? I don't eat much starch at all

GAF

Is this safe? How long? Just one week?

My policy is to do it until it is no longer making a difference.

For me, the problem requires management. Sometimes more than others. One or two days a week or less is good once the initial drainage is done and fluid consumption is tightly controlled. Sometimes, I make a mistake, get lazy, drink too much liquid, and pow, bloatation.

As far as safety goes, I haven't noticed any real miseries from the process but lots of benefits, like breathing easier and pants fitting etc

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals