Using High-dose Pregnenolone As An Anti-depressant

DavePalumbo

My experience is that the higher the preg. dosage the less irritability and other symptoms of 5ht2a overactivation. This makes sense since the more pregnenolone you take the more gets converted to metabolites which decrease glutamatergic signaling and thus activity of the nmda receptor.

I have ..."issues".. related to schizophrenic but not actual schizophrenia, caused by presumably reduced function of the nmda receptor. Lower dosages of pregnenolone trends towards helping whereas higher dosages trends towards not helping at all. But I am not sure. It changes from hour to hour.. suddenly the issues come back, then they go away. Same with theanine. Either activation of the nmda receptor is pulsatile, so on and off, or both pregnenolone and theanine at times decrease function of the nmda receptor.
Theanine also converts to gaba but I get these weird on-and-off reactions even at tiny dosages of theanine.

Frankdee20

I find too much magnesium Glycinate, which should antagonize NMDA, makes me retarded. I don't know if Glycine is potentiating this effect. Magnesium aspartate may be better

pregnenolone itself is not an NMDA agnist, but rather pregnenolone sulfate (PS)
This was also my understanding, I think we exchanged some pm's with someone a few years ago about pregnenolone and NMDA.
Higher doses seem to have anti-androgenic effects for me.
Also matches my experience.

Prosper

And for the record, Vyvanse is not meth. But if you take it for long enough on a daily basis, it will mess with your head in ways that you are not even aware of. And no study is gonna tell you that. Speaking from experience....
Interested, could you elaborate on your experience?

DavidGardner

Sure, I took Vyvanse everyday for two or three years. My psychiatrist had me up to 90 or 100 mg. (Sorry, I can't remember details very well, my memory from that time period is impaired from meds and mental illness.) It helped me through depression and finishing college. But it also made me 100% stimulant dependent for six years after I quit taking it. I just substituted lots of caffeine. It's taken me until this year to be able to drink coffee like a normal person, instead of drinking massive amounts because I needed it to function.

Aside from that, it changes the way you think. I became much more intuitive and less deliberative in my decision-making, even after I had quit taking it, which I guess had both positives and negatives. That is the really insidious thing about it though. If you're not careful this change will happen without you even noticing or knowing why.

I really need to do a separate thread sometime about drugs within a Peat context. There's too much to go over without getting off track here. And it is interesting because amphetamines are so dopaminergic.

Frankdee20

Sure, I took Vyvanse everyday for two or three years. My psychiatrist had me up to 90 or 100 mg. (Sorry, I can't remember details very well, my memory from that time period is impaired from meds and mental illness.) It helped me through depression and finishing college. But it also made me 100% stimulant dependent for six years after I quit taking it. I just substituted lots of caffeine. It's taken me until this year to be able to drink coffee like a normal person, instead of drinking massive amounts because I needed it to function.

Aside from that, it changes the way you think. I became much more intuitive and less deliberative in my decision-making, even after I had quit taking it, which I guess had both positives and negatives. That is the really insidious thing about it though. If you're not careful this change will happen without you even noticing or knowing why.

I really need to do a separate thread sometime about drugs within a Peat context. There's too much to go over without getting off track here. And it is interesting because amphetamines are so dopaminergic.

Yeah, but aside from methylphenidate, aren’t they also serotonergic ?

Frankdee20

This was also my understanding, I think we exchanged some pm's with someone a few years ago about pregnenolone and NMDA.

Also matches my experience.

Sublingual Pregnenalone has different effects than oral, like NMDA agonism

cxd

My son has depression and his was concerned about low but WNL Testerone. His physician put him on 100mg Pregnenolone a day for a week then 200 a day. After 2 weeks my son thought he was going crazy, he took the firing pins out of his guns and was going to check into the hospital after a full week of almost no sleep. He then quite the Pregnenolone cold turkey and has been suffering side effects still for the past three weeks. He still cant sleep, had severe mood swings and is not able to get a erection. Anyone know how long this is going to last?? Thanks in advance.

Lejeboca

My son has depression and his was concerned about low but WNL Testerone. His physician put him on 100mg Pregnenolone a day for a week then 200 a day. After 2 weeks my son thought he was going crazy, he took the firing pins out of his guns and was going to check into the hospital after a full week of almost no sleep. He then quite the Pregnenolone cold turkey and has been suffering side effects still for the past three weeks. He still cant sleep, had severe mood swings and is not able to get a erection. Anyone know how long this is going to last?? Thanks in advance.

Looks like the preg. wasn't pure and had contamination with estrogen. This is a frequent occurrence per Dr. Peat and Haidut (check timestamp 1:12:35). I've experienced estrogenic effects (weight gain) from only 5mg at some point.

Going by this theory, any anti-estrogenic remedies should help. Progesterone would be the first thing that comes to mind. I'd do Progest-E topically, say in the navel. 2 drops 1x per day should be enough for a guy. (Break for a week after 10-14 days). This will help initially with the sleep, I think.
But will not help with T. Yet reducing estrogen has to be done first.

For the libido, T, and possibly depression, check out smilax officinalis thread.

cxd

Looks like the preg. wasn't pure and had contamination with estrogen. This is a frequent occurrence per Dr. Peat and Haidut (check timestamp 1:12:35). I've experienced estrogenic effects (weight gain) from only 5mg at some point.

Going by this theory, any anti-estrogenic remedies should help. Progesterone would be the first thing that comes to mind. I'd do Progest-E topically, say in the navel. 2 drops 1x per day should be enough for a guy. (Break for a week after 10-14 days). This will help initially with the sleep, I think.
But will not help with T. Yet reducing estrogen has to be done first.

For the libido, T, and possibly depression, check out smilax officinalis thread.
He is really scared about taking anything else new. I will read the depression link. Thanks for that. The same Doc had him start dsip at night, we read up on that and he is using half the dose the Doc recommend and for now we hope that may stabilize things. Note to self, just because someone with a medical degree says something is OK to take we still need to do our own research!

Lejeboca

He is really scared about taking anything else new.
Understandable! If he is avert to supplements then could try vitamin E. It is anti-estrogenic somewhat too. Additionally, anything to boost liver function since liver has to clear estrogen and if 'clogged' will not do so efficiently. I cannot think of liver meds but diet-wise anything bitter should be good for the liver. Burdock root (in any form) is good, milk thistle too for example.

Note to self, just because someone with a medical degree says something is OK to take we still need to do our own research!
Welcome to the club! Many members here stay away from such someones at all costs...

blue_lotus

And for the record, Vyvanse is not meth. But if you take it for long enough on a daily basis, it will mess with your head in ways that you are not even aware of. And no study is gonna tell you that. Speaking from experience....
can you elaborate on that?

EDIT: nevermind I saw you already elaborated later on in the thread. sorry!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals