Pregnenolone And The GABA Paradox

Moshi

Hi y’all,
I am caught up in a darkess that I believe is ”Menopause Anxiety”.
I’m female and 46 and have a history of hormonal insufficieny (repeated mc’s and 2 successful pregnancies by use of DHEA and progesterone).

Ob/gyn prescribed estrogen for my menopause symtoms (vaginal atrophy etc) but I never used it.

Instead I decided to give progesterone and pregnenolone creams another try, but with dismal results... My anxiety and depression is INCREASING......!

so now I’ve learned about the possible paradox that sometimes occur with allopregnenolone antagonizing GABA-A....? And since small doses seem to do this, I am contemplating going high, like 200-300mg transdermal progesterone per day.... Looks like a lot of ladies my age are dosing like this... with better results....

Anyone that can offer some experience/advice? Please?

Melekai

VA: DHEA Plus cream by Life-Flo; ballpark 7.5mg/night (one-half of the 15mg pump). Excellent local effects.

As for the emotional and cognitive aspects, best not to shoot in the dark: get a hormone panel (I get mine yearly from Life Extensions, which uses LabCorp). I haven't had any of the complications you list, so I hesitate to even mention my dosages, but I must say that I get a definite feeling of resilience -- which had entirely gone missing -- from oral pregnenolone in the range of 50-100mg/day. (I can handle/recover from a bad night of sleep that would have completely wrecked me prior to preg.) Probably best to start low (10mg or so) and ramp up to find the minimum amount that works for you. Since preg converts to progesterone (among others), I would keep it simple and see what preg does for you first.

OP
Moshi

Moshi

Thanks @Melekai I will consider, and look into all of this, really appreciate you sharing your experiences!

rei

You need to become familiar with the range of effects different doses produce. AFAIK in an estrogen dominant state small to moderate doses mainly liberate estrogen from cells for elimination, which is excitatory as long as the estrogen is in circulation, if the liver is sluggish in eliminating it this may take some time.

Flush it out with progesterone shock treatment. Just increase dose until you start to feel some change, in either direction.

OP
Moshi

Moshi

@rei thanks so much for your valuable input!
When you can’t convince a physician to prescribe decent dose bio-identical progesterone, I image it will take some good effort (and money) to get the adequate serum level to drive the estrogen out, and to get some relief....
I just had a progesteron blood test done on day 21 and it showed a value of 3.3
This seems quite low for being mid-luteal and since I supplemented with about 40mg topical progesterone daily during the 7 days leading up to the test day.... but then again, I’m 46 years old......

rei

Just get stronger/better quality skin cream, the one i had is very potent and topical keeps most as progesterone bypassing liver.

rei

In general pregnenolone is safer than progesterone because it is more upstream. Any amount of other hormone supplementation which can be substituted by it probably should. In a healthy person even pregnenolone could be replaced by cholesterol, it offers another layer of safety and other additional benefits.

Inaut

I just started 100mg of preg and found communication was a lot easier at work today. Also, a lot more relaxed. Will continue to test this out but i like pregnenolone so far :)

OP
Moshi

Moshi

@Inaut , glad to hear of the positive effects :): no titration? What form/brand are you using?

OP
Moshi

Moshi

@rei, if using pregnenolone, as a menopausal female, should you cycle it? Meaning, should you take a 7 or 10 day break every month?

dreamcatcher

@rei, if using pregnenolone, as a menopausal female, should you cycle it? Meaning, should you take a 7 or 10 day break every month?
I know a lady here who's in her 50's and takes 100mg daily with great results. She also looks much younger than her age, thanks to the pregnenolone.

rei

i think everything should be stopped for some time occasionally, even if it would not have such direct effect on eg. cycles like progesterone has.