Nutritional Yeast / Brewer's Yeast

narouz

I really liked that stuff,
but I have the sneaking feeling that Dr. Peat wouldn't say it is a healthy food.
I believe that some consider it at least somewhat excito-toxic,
maybe high in glutamates...?

Has anybody heard or read anything from Peat on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

cliff

Re: Nutritional Yeast?

Pretty sure he says its high in estrogen/phosphate and should only be used short term. His father used high amounts of it to cure his diabetes.

narouz

cliff said:
Pretty sure he says its high in estrogen/phosphate and should only be used short term. His father used high amounts of it to cure his diabetes.

Darn.
I figured.

I think Peat is talking about Brewers Yeast, though,
so maybe there's still hope for Nutritional Yeast
which is pretty different I think.

Here's a quote from Peat in:
Diabetes, Scleroderma, Oils and Hormones
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/diabetes.shtml

Brewer's yeast has been used successfully to treat diabetes. In the l930s, my father had severe diabetes, but after a few weeks of living on brewer's yeast, he recovered and never had any further evidence of diabetes. Besides its high B-vitamin and protein content, yeast is an unusual food that should be sparingly used, because of its high phosphorous/calcium ratio, high potassium to sodium ratio, and high estrogen content. The insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas have estrogen receptors, but I don't know of any new research investigating this aspect of yeast therapy. In rabbit studies, diabetes produced by alloxan poisoning, which kills the beta cells, was cured by DHEA treatment, and beta cells were found to have regenerated in the pancreatic islets.

DMF

Brewers Yeast Vs. "Nutritional Yeast"

Who can say of the differences/similarities between the two? Which is healthier? Brewers Yeast has multiplied in price, tastes the same from brand to brand(Lewis Labs, Solgar, etc.) the other, "nutritional yeast" remains comparitively cheap, makes your urine yellow(why is that?)

kiran

Re: Brewers Yeast Vs. "Nutritional Yeast"

The yellow is probably from the B2 and related substances.

kiran

In a related story, me and my father both saw improvements from Diamond V XPC which is another kind of yeast. My father recovered from his bout of dementia (alzheimer's ?) after a few months of this stuff. Still not clear on why exactly it helped both of us, but it did.

ddjd

so which is better nutritional yeast or brewers yeast?

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

In a related story, me and my father both saw improvements from Diamond V XPC which is another kind of yeast. My father recovered from his bout of dementia (alzheimer's ?) after a few months of this stuff. Still not clear on why exactly it helped both of us, but it did.
kiran, how did you and your dad take it and how much?

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
We both took about a tsp with every meal. I just swallowed it with some water and dad took it with yogurt.
Thank you. :hattip

achillea

Could be the beta glucans helped the immune capabilities

Glassy

I still don’t know if I like the nutritional yeast. It’s great in cooking sauces and has a rich Unami flavour but it’s one flavour I associate with foods high in glutamates.

Interesting on the DiamondV. What did it taste like?

I remember choking back brewers yeast as a protein source when younger and the taste still haunts me.

From Wikipedia:
Glutamic acid
Nutritional yeast products do not have any added monosodium glutamate; however, all inactive yeast contains a certain amount of free glutamic acid because when the yeast cells are killed, the proteins that compose the cell walls begins to degrade, breaking down into the amino acids that originally formed the proteins. Glutamic acid is a naturally occur

Last edited:

SOMO

I love how nutritional yeast tastes, but it's definitely got an umami taste which = glutamate.

However, since it's heated and deactivated, it's possible it's less estrogenic than bakers/brewer's yeast.

griesburner

However, since it's heated and deactivated, it's possible it's less estrogenic than bakers/brewer's yeast.

compared to nutritional yeast, brewers yeast is easy available in nearly all shops here in gwrmany and way cheaper. and i am pretty sure that most products are deactivated, too. I like the taste of it and its a very easy form to get a good amount of b vitamins in. But i am a bit sceptical about the glutamate content, too as i dont feel allright if i took too much.

SOMO

compared to nutritional yeast, brewers yeast is easy available in nearly all shops here in gwrmany and way cheaper. and i am pretty sure that most products are deactivated, too. I like the taste of it and its a very easy form to get a good amount of b vitamins in. But i am a bit sceptical about the glutamate content, too as i dont feel allright if i took too much.

Taste of Nutritional yeast is completely different and that's the reason why people buy it. NY tastes like parmesan cheese, and brewers yeast tastes like....yeast. Regardless of nutritional benefits, nutritional yeast tastes much, much better.

Harryedgar

Realize this is an old thread - but to add something extra on - brewers yeast also contains uridine - something like 1.7% by weight - which can convert to phosphditdyl choline and can also increase dopamine receptors

Taste of Nutritional yeast is completely different and that's the reason why people buy it. NY tastes like parmesan cheese, and brewers yeast tastes like....yeast. Regardless of nutritional benefits, nutritional yeast tastes much, much better.
Much much better is right SOMO! Brewer's yeast is reminiscent of cow liver to me yuk!