Non Diabetic Reactive Hypoglycemia

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

I am reading Mastering Diabetes by Cyrus Khambatta and Robby Barbaro and on page 189 in reference to C-peptide Blood Test they write: "If your fasting C-peptide value exceeds 4.0, this can indicate that the beta cells in your pancreas are working in overdrive to secrete excess insulin in response to a high degree of insulin resistance, and that increasing your insulin sensitivity can prevent against beta cell burnout."

I don't agree with everything they propose but basically, reducing your total fat intake will help reverse the insulin resistance. There are a lot of podcasts by the authors.
But if I had insulin resistance I'd be like a type 2 diabetic with high blood sugar.

As of now anyhow I'm still incredibly sensitive to it in the way that my blood sugar is constantly low.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Got a little bit of a weird update:

So I had basically stopped having blood sugar drops after eating, they were very far & between when they did happen and very mild.

While my morning blood sugar is still high 100-111 this was better than the constant drops & my blood sugar throughout the day was optimal.

The only supplements I had been taking were super low dose bioavailable copper 3 days a week, camu camu, & magnesium.

Then, I decided about 5 days ago to add back in methylene blue. One single drop (400mcg per drop) in the morning as I really think my mitochondria needs some help.

About 3 days in I get home from a farmers market with my family & I feel like absolute dog sh!t, word recall issues, nauseated, ears are screaming, so I checked my blood sugar.

Sure enough it had dropped into the 60s & it had been less than an hour since I ate carbs with protein at the market.

It's been 3 days since that happened and now every damn time I eat in the morning my blood sugar is dropping again.

On the first day it reoccurred I instantly stopped all supplements again, but I will say I had been using the copper, camu, & magnesium for a good while with no ill effects. If anything there were improvements.

Soooo what would the potential mechanism be behind methylene blue causing my pancreas to over produce insulin?

This is a horrible setback considering it took many months of not using MB before the issue began to resolve itself.

To reiterate for anyone just joining this thread, I am still extremely sensitive to the insulin that my pancreas ceaselessly pumps out after eating that's why my blood sugar drops.

yerrag

Got a little bit of a weird update:

So I had basically stopped having blood sugar drops after eating, they were very far & between when they did happen and very mild.

While my morning blood sugar is still high 100-111 this was better than the constant drops & my blood sugar throughout the day was optimal.

The only supplements I had been taking were super low dose bioavailable copper 3 days a week, camu camu, & magnesium.

Then, I decided about 5 days ago to add back in methylene blue. One single drop (400mcg per drop) in the morning as I really think my mitochondria needs some help.

About 3 days in I get home from a farmers market with my family & I feel like absolute dog sh!t, word recall issues, nauseated, ears are screaming, so I checked my blood sugar.

Sure enough it had dropped into the 60s & it had been less than an hour since I ate carbs with protein at the market.

It's been 3 days since that happened and now every damn time I eat in the morning my blood sugar is dropping again.

On the first day it reoccurred I instantly stopped all supplements again, but I will say I had been using the copper, camu, & magnesium for a good while with no ill effects. If anything there were improvements.

Soooo what would the potential mechanism be behind methylene blue causing my pancreas to over produce insulin?

This is a horrible setback considering it took many months of not using MB before the issue began to resolve itself.

To reiterate for anyone just joining this thread, I am still extremely sensitive to the insulin that my pancreas ceaselessly pumps out after eating that's why my blood sugar drops.
Just a guess.

Probably it killed off some bacteria that are commensal and needed to produce enzymes (incretins?) that either keep insulin from taking effect so quickly after a meal or hold off the pancreas from producing insulin so quickly or in excessive amounts.

The bacteria may be catalase-positive that's why methylene blue can kill it.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Just a guess.

Probably it killed off some bacteria that are commensal and needed to produce enzymes (incretins?) that either keep insulin from taking effect so quickly after a meal or hold off the pancreas from producing insulin so quickly or in excessive amounts.

The bacteria may be catalase-positive that's why methylene blue can kill it.
That's a good guess IMHO, makes me wonder if the MB not only caused the reactive hypoglycemia but the minor burping I developed.

So, I'm just going to assume it would be incredibly hard to guess which strain of what was killed off. Clearly it, if that's the case, had begun to repopulate.

I'll do some digging in regards to what bacteria could help regulate insulin production.

yerrag

That's a good guess IMHO, makes me wonder if the MB not only caused the reactive hypoglycemia but the minor burping I developed.

So, I'm just going to assume it would be incredibly hard to guess which strain of what was killed off. Clearly it, if that's the case, had begun to repopulate.

I'll do some digging in regards to what bacteria could help regulate insulin production.
I would share some links but I lost the links when my PC crashed. I never learn.

Last edited:
OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Random update:

Finally had an appointment with an endocrinologist and it was a waste of time and 3 hours of driving.

He basically told me he's not interested in looking at any labs or any other angles. He's pretty sure I have diabetes and through a continuous monitor at me.

I basically had to beg him even to do a simple thyroid panel.

I told him that I do not eat the standard American diet and tried to alert him to my severe cortisol issues in the past and other symptoms that have been coming up that are worrisome.

Gave no literal f*cks.

He did However, offer to put me on a terrifying medication that blocks carbohydrate absorption even though I told him the only time my blood sugar doesn't drop in the morning is if I'm getting adequate carbohydrates with my meal.

He then basically tried to tell me that I was fat even though at 5'4 I only weigh 133lbs & While I do have a small cortisol stomach and slight upper arm fat by no means in my obese enough to cause diabetes 🙄

I attempted to tell him about the severe burning and numbness I've developed in my mouth and was concerned about megaloblastic anemia.

He literally didn't care.

He also refused to do a hormonal panel even though hormonal dysfunction is a big driver behind reactive hypoglycemia and patients who aren't diabetic. Even though I showed him labs showing my testosterone was tanked even for a woman.

Anyhow, I guess like usual I'll just keep experimenting.

Looking hard at Vit B's & sublingual B12(Methylcobalamin).

Lastly, pretty sure the guy was coked out & dying from the thick **** spray tan he was wearing.

Oh yeah, he also told me women shouldn't be eating more than 1500 calories a day...

Jezuz.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
That is too bad about the doctor. It is very discouraging trying to work in the system. I hope the thyroid panel gives you some answers.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

That is too bad about the doctor. It is very discouraging trying to work in the system. I hope the thyroid panel gives you some answers.
I already know I'm on the lower end, he just wouldn't do anything about it until he ran his own labs.

He also went on record saying it's impossible to ever fix low cortisol so the labs I took saying I have a flipped cycle were inaccurate since they don't read that way now🙄

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

So it's been a few days with continuous glucose monitoring in place.

I haven't had any real crashes in quite some time. I mean nothing more than 10-20 points.

The only pattern I've found so far (again, only been a few days) is that my blood sugar never really goes below 112-115 during the night.

However...all day long it's typically in the 98-105 range.

After eating I might climb up to 120-40 but within 1/2-1 hour of eating I'm back into the lower range again, then I can slowly climb to like 114ish then back down. So it's tiny climbs/dips right after eating.

So far (again, just two days) nothing cortisol lowering has helped my fasting levels go down.

I took 650mg aspirin last night & it didn't touch it, also slept like ***t which isn't normal for me.

Although that may be because I'm kinda subconsciously worried about ripping off the creepy blue tooth enabled leach that's monitoring my glucose 24/7.

This morning for breakfast I had a beef patty, egg, polenta, OJ.

Even with the protein if I was a diabetic like the tired of his job doctor suggested my blood sugar should have sky rocketed.

About an hour later I'm setting at 109.

Yesterday I power ate two huge tamales, blood sugar never climbed past 125, lowered quickly after that, never rose again (until my next meal)

Should also say I've tried all the things to make my liver store glucose better, in fact pepcid made my morning fasting numbers the highest they've ever been so I backed off on that.

Taurine has also done nothing.

My body hates milk thistle.

I'm waiting for the sublingual B12 to show up & after I get my thyroid labs back I'll likely wade into that although I've never felt anything from any thyroid really other than one single time it gave me insomnia (and I couldn't make it happen again).

That makes me consider the severe B deficiencies are more of a likelihood since it can mimic many hypothyroid symptoms.

That concludes my thinking out loud on the internet post, I will leave you with a screenshot of my dexcom reading. It's like a game, keep the dot on the gray line & you win!
Screenshot_20221015-101354.png

yerrag

Now you have a good tool.

Three major areas to focus on as you go about identifying and eliminating cause. At my best. my bg was at a stable 84 . Now, at 95. But my cause is microbial, which has proven to be tenacious.

Aside from microbes, look at deficiencies and toxins. Physical injury possible but only you know.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Now you have a good tool.

Three major areas to focus on as you go about identifying and eliminating cause. At my best. my bg was at a stable 84 . Now, at 95. But my cause is microbial, which has proven to be tenacious.

Aside from microbes, look at deficiencies and toxins. Physical injury possible but only you know.
Yes I'm starting with the B12s & side eyeing mold issues ha.