Brewer's Yeast A Cure For Diabetes And More..

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Lemon zest may contain key ingredients that help to manage blood glucose levels. Nutrients found in lemon peel specifically polyphenols, can help improve insulin resistance.”

Orange peels seem like an ideal snack for diabetics. I really love them, but they are so expensive to buy and impossible to find organic. The many pesticides in orange peels make them pretty toxic and would cause more problems eating them non-organic, so I gave them up a year or so ago, not realizing that. I made my own yesterday and found they are much easier and less time consuming to make than I thought, using only 3 ORGANIC oranges. I posted the recipe on page 8 in the link below…

1699371685815.png

Richiebogie

Your candied orange peel looks delicious, @Rinse & rePeat

In other news, I was having issues with coughing and wheezing in the last few years and I began alternating salbutamol and budesonide before sleep!

[Well I was taking micropuffs by holding the canister at arm’s length and sending the gas in my general direction! That seemed a sufficient dose to address the issue].

However I noticed the wheezing got worse some hours after drinking coffee.

Theobromine and caffeine are alkaloids known for improving lung function, however I found my breathing was much worse when the effect wore off.

So I cut out caffeine and reduced my chocolate consumption down to about 30g milk chocolate a day.

While this helped, I think eating Vegemite each day also helped.

It is interesting someone earlier mentioned that coffee depletes b vitamins.

I have the vegemite with sliced cheese on rice cakes which is a tasty meal in itself!

I’m not sure how they turn the brewers yeast into a black paste... perhaps they cook it.

They were trying to replicate the British product marmite here in Melbourne, Australia during World War 1 and they came up with something amazing!!

Also, Vegemite is 3.3% sodium, so probably 6% salt! How old fashioned is that?

DC3F4989-0A5D-4BFC-AB4E-91502D1B43BA.jpeg

Last edited:

Mathgirl

Thank you for the additional info.

Sadly I cannot take aspirin....it eats a hole in my stomach. Have tried all the suggested ways of reducing this to no avail.
I do take thiamine, Vit D, Progesterone and K....even though I do not have hyperglycemia. I eat salt freely.

My issue is not hyperglycemia. My blood sugars are stable and I can go 4 hrs without eating with no symptoms....so no hypo either. Biomarkers for diabetes are all in normal ranges.

My issue is high insulin. Since pandemic to now it just keeps rising and I have developed quite a gut. I walk daily and watch what I eat.

I do not know what else causes a rise in insulin if diet is good. Cortisol? Stress? Adrenaline? I also do not know how to differentiate between feeling high cortisol vs high adrenaline.

As a side note...my ENdO took me off thyroid meds which I had taken for decades. Oddly enough my labs are all in normal range so on paper I look good. That was around 2021 (pandemic) because I had an SVT and she blamed the thyroid meds on that....stating that a 71 yr old female should not get so much thyroid stimulation because it affects the heart. She had me on T4 but I bought T3 on the side and she was not aware thankfully. I did what she said because the SVT scared me and I ended up in ER with pulse of 220. I am thinking maybe lack of thyroid could be causing high insulin?

Really stuck
You mentioned you can't take aspirin-just read about taking it with glycine as being protective of the stomach, may be worth further research.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Your candied orange peel looks delicious, @Rinse & rePeat

In other news, I was having issues with coughing and wheezing in the last few years and I began alternating salbutamol and budesonide before sleep!

[Well I was taking micropuffs by holding the canister at arm’s length and sending the gas in my general direction! That seemed a sufficient dose to address the issue].

However I noticed the wheezing got worse some hours after drinking coffee.

Theobromine and caffeine are alkaloids known for improving lung function, however I found my breathing was much worse when the effect wore off.

So I cut out caffeine and reduced my chocolate consumption down to about 30g milk chocolate a day.

While this helped, I think eating Vegemite each day also helped.

It is interesting someone earlier mentioned that coffee depletes b vitamins.

I have the vegemite with sliced cheese on rice cakes which is a tasty meal in itself!

I’m not sure how they turn the brewers yeast into a black paste... perhaps they cook it.

They were trying to replicate the British product marmite here in Melbourne, Australia during World War 1 and they came up with something amazing!!

View attachment 57979
What the heck?!! I only have heard about Vegemite in that one song about “ the land down under” and never knew what Vegemite was until now, brewer’s yeast??!! That is crazy! I may have to give this one a try for the sake of this thread. How does cooking it till black still mainline the vitamins Ritchie?

“Vegemite is a thick, brown, shiny paste that is made from brewer's yeast, what’s left at the bottom of the barrel when beer is made. The spread has a rich umami flavor and is often smeared on buttered toast in Australia, or stirred into recipes to deepen savory notes.
How did Vegemite come to be? Vegemite's nearly identical twin, Marmite, used to be very popular in Australia, due to British immigrants bringing over their taste for the staple. During World War I, it was hard to get shipments of Marmite from England, and everyone missed it. A brewer in Australia wanted to monetize the byproducts of beer-making instead of just throwing them away, and he knew his fellow Australians needed a steady source of a marmite-like spread. He worked with a scientist who took the leftover brewers’ yeast and did some chemistry stuff to turn it into Australia's own version that was rich in Vitamin B. One great marketing campaign later, practically every Australian had tried it.
Today, Vegemite is a household staple that most people in Australia grow up with.

What Is the Difference Between Vegemite and Marmite?​

True aficionados of Vegemite and Marmite report that Vegemite is more intense than Marmite. Vegimite is darker in color (it appears black in the bottle, revealing its dark brown color only when spread on toast or crackers), thick like a nut butter and more umami-forward. Marmite is lighter, a bit sweeter, more syrupy and easier to spread.

What Does Vegemite Taste Like?​

Vegemite has a strong, salty, meaty-rich flavor (although there is no meat or meat byproduct in it). The flavor could be compared to a very intense tamari or soy sauce.

What Are the Ingredients In Vegemite?​

In addition to brewer's yeast, vegemite contains concentrated extracts of onion, malt and celery.Vegemite also is made up of salt and several different types of Vitamin B (thiamin B1, riboflavin B2, niacin B3 and folate).

Is Vegemite Gluten-Free?​

The original version does have wheat byproducts in it. However, late breaking news: the brand has figured out how to make a gluten-free version of Vegemite (simply by using gluten-free yeast). There isn’t a gluten-free Marmite, so Vegemite has cornered that market.”

Richiebogie

Hi @Rinse & rePeat,

Yes that song was pretty popular in the US...

“Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscle
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich”

The songwriter revealed that the chorus contained the melody from “kookaburra sits in the old gum tree”.

Unfortunately that song was still under copyright. An unscrupulous man heard that admission, bought the rights to the original song and then sued Men at Work for millions of dollars, most of which they had already spent!

You don’t need to cook vegemite. I was wondering how the food processors who manufacture Marmite and Vegemite turn a golden powder into a black spread!

Perhaps you could try making Peatamite at home!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hi @Rinse & rePeat,

Yes that song was pretty popular in the US...

“Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscle
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich”

The songwriter revealed that the chorus contained the melody from “kookaburra sits in the old gum tree”.

Unfortunately that song was still under copyright. An unscrupulous man heard that admission, bought the rights to the original song and then sued Men at Work for millions of dollars, most of which they had already spent!

You don’t need to cook vegemite. I was wondering how the food processors who manufacture Marmite and Vegemite turn a golden powder into a black spread!

Perhaps you could try making Peatamite at home!
What an interesting reply! Vegemite already looks pretty “Peaty” to me. I really am going to have to try this stuff. I think I know where I can pick up a jar of it today….

“Vegemite is a thick, black, salty spread made from leftover brewer's yeast. The yeast is combined with salt, malt extract, the B vitamins thiamine, niacin, riboflavin and folate, as well as vegetable extract, giving Vegemite the unique flavor that Australians love so much (1).”

“Thickness: Marmite has a thick and sticky texture, like syrup. Vegemite is even thicker, like a paste or nut butter. Taste: While they share similar notes (salty, yeasty, umami-rich, and bitter), Vegemite has a more intense salty and bitter taste, while Marmite is subtler and sweeter.”

Peater

What an interesting reply! Vegemite already looks pretty “Peaty” to me. I really am going to have to try this stuff. I think I know where I can pick up a jar of it today….

“Vegemite is a thick, black, salty spread made from leftover brewer's yeast. The yeast is combined with salt, malt extract, the B vitamins thiamine, niacin, riboflavin and folate, as well as vegetable extract, giving Vegemite the unique flavor that Australians love so much (1).”

“Thickness: Marmite has a thick and sticky texture, like syrup. Vegemite is even thicker, like a paste or nut butter. Taste: While they share similar notes (salty, yeasty, umami-rich, and bitter), Vegemite has a more intense salty and bitter taste, while Marmite is subtler and sweeter.”

Over here it's called Marmite - best enjoyed on thick, well-buttered toast!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Marmite was invented in the late 19th century when German scientist Justus von Liebig discovered that brewer's yeast could be concentrated, bottled and eaten. In 1902 the Marmite Food Extract Company was formed in Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, England by the Gilmour family, with Marmite as its main product and Burton as the site of the first factory.

link
Marmite - Wikipedia

Vegemite was invented in 1922 by food technologist Cyril P. Callister when, following the disruption of British Marmite imports after World War I, his employer, the Australian company Fred Walker & Co., gave him the task of developing a spread from the used yeast being dumped by breweries.

link
Vegemite - Wikipedia

Therefore, yes, Marmite in 1902 and Vegemite in 1922.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Severe caloric restriction (CR), in a setting of regular physical exercise, may be a stress that sets the stage for adiposity rebound and insulin resistance when the food restriction and exercise stop.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

I looked up the difference in the ingredients between Vegemite and Marmite and noticed the food coloring added to Vegemite, but also noticed the Marmite has added vitamins and the Vegemite doesn’t. Vegemite also has potassium chloride, and I know nothing about that one…

“As with other yeast extracts, Marmite contains free glutamic acid, the monosodium salt of which being monosodium glutamate.

Currently, the main ingredients of Marmite are glutamic acid-rich yeast extract, with lesser quantities of salt, vegetable extract, spice extracts and celery extracts, although the precise composition is a trade secret. Vitamins added for food fortification include riboflavin, folic acid, and Vitamin B12.[24]Vitamin B12 is not naturally found in yeast extract, but is very important for vegans who are at risk of deficiency.[25]

“Vegemite is one of the richest sources of B vitamins, specifically thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and folate (B1, B2, B3 and B9, respectively). Unlike Marmite and some other yeast extracts, the base version contains no vitamin B12 (cobalamin) although both vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) and vitamin B12 are added to the low-salt formulation.[37]

The main ingredient of Vegemite is yeast extract, which contains a high concentration of glutamic acid, the source of Vegemite's rich umami flavour. Vegemite does not contain any fat, added sugar or animal content. It contains gluten (a composite of storage proteins) as the yeast is derived from brewing.[38]

1699553513483.jpeg

1699553530606.jpeg

Richiebogie

Hi @Rinse & rePeat

That looks like the ingredient list for gluten free or low salt vegemite, or maybe an export version...

Our regular version looks like this:

BB893605-56EB-48C9-B910-EF27BBBDD5C3.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hi @Rinse & rePeat

That looks like the ingredient list for gluten free or low salt vegemite, or maybe an export version...

Our regular version looks like this:

View attachment 58042
I bought some Vegemite yesterday Richie, and I gotta say I did not enjoy it. It smells like a vitamin mixed with Japanese eel sauce. What in the heck do you do with stuff? I tried your cracker cheese idea, and spread some on a cracker with some marmalade too, but it was not enjoyable. I think you’re right, in that I need to create a “Peaty” one. Now I am wondering how they get it black too.

1699629135805.jpeg

1699629153361.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Italian chef Ricardo Camanini built an award-winning reputation on this incredibly delicious spaghettoni recipe topped with butter and a surprising ingredient: brewer's yeast. The dish has such simple, luscious, and—thanks to brewer's yeast—funky, umami appeal that legendary French chef Alain Ducasse declared it the best dish ever.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Brewer's yeast is beloved by bakers for Italian recipes such as grissini and focaccia; it's also the secret ingredient in this umami-rich multipurpose seasoning salt from chef Dave Beran of Pasjoli in Santa Monica. The additions of salt, gochugaru, and citric acid lend the yeast a brightness and acidity, and the Korean chile flakes add a nice kick. The seasoning takes just a few minutes to put together and has nearly endless seasoning possibilities. Start by trying it sprinkled on freshly roasted vegetables or meats, pasta, or popcorn. You'll want to use an inactive brewer's yeast for this recipe, such as the version from Twinlab, which has a delicious, funky, umami flavor.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I love these saltine-type crackers, made with olive oil and brewers yeast. They are much more flavorful than the original saltines, and the texture is better too, not quite so dry. I like that they are organic, which means no glysophate, and a whole pack is only 21 carbs.

1699635852771.jpeg

Attachments

• 286484AB-48CD-4B0C-9548-21F1C55A0882.jpeg
    286484AB-48CD-4B0C-9548-21F1C55A0882.jpeg
    492.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 1509A998-F8A9-4996-87C9-051E76CBE1C5.jpeg
    1509A998-F8A9-4996-87C9-051E76CBE1C5.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 10

Richiebogie

Hi @Rinse & rePeat,

Good on you for giving vegemite a try. Your Aussie citizenship is in the mail!

Vegemite is a bit of a shock at first!

It’s more of a savoury dish so best to combine it with bread & butter!

I don’t usually combine it with marmalade or jam!

The dark colour may be from natural colour 150c = caramel 3! They may have been trying to match Marmite’s colour. Perhaps without that it would be brown…?

Perhaps give it another go, now you know what to expect!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals