Brewer's Yeast A Cure For Diabetes And More..

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you for the additional info.

Sadly I cannot take aspirin....it eats a hole in my stomach. Have tried all the suggested ways of reducing this to no avail.
I do take thiamine, Vit D, Progesterone and K....even though I do not have hyperglycemia. I eat salt freely.

My issue is not hyperglycemia. My blood sugars are stable and I can go 4 hrs without eating with no symptoms....so no hypo either. Biomarkers for diabetes are all in normal ranges.

My issue is high insulin. Since pandemic to now it just keeps rising and I have developed quite a gut. I walk daily and watch what I eat.

I do not know what else causes a rise in insulin if diet is good. Cortisol? Stress? Adrenaline? I also do not know how to differentiate between feeling high cortisol vs high adrenaline.

As a side note...my ENdO took me off thyroid meds which I had taken for decades. Oddly enough my labs are all in normal range so on paper I look good. That was around 2021 (pandemic) because I had an SVT and she blamed the thyroid meds on that....stating that a 71 yr old female should not get so much thyroid stimulation because it affects the heart. She had me on T4 but I bought T3 on the side and she was not aware thankfully. I did what she said because the SVT scared me and I ended up in ER with pulse of 220. I am thinking maybe lack of thyroid could be causing high insulin?

Really stuck
I have never taken thyroid supplements or had blood sugar issues so I can’t comment, but I will keep posting here for you anytime I run across something. My bet is still on the restaurants.

apr

I have never taken thyroid supplements or had blood sugar issues so I can’t comment, but I will keep posting here for you anytime I run across something. My bet is still on the restaurants.
Bummer! hahah. But I have been eating out all of my life. Yeah I know I am older now, but this started around lockdown/taken off thyroid time....I am sure it has something to do with that. Diet has been pretty stable since I found Peat way back in the early days.

Tonight we have dinner with friends....my go to at this restaurant is steamed clams, caprese salad, beef carpaccio with shaved parmesan and San Pelligrino water. I eat similarly in other restaurants....seafood, salad with lemon vinegar, grilled veggies.. Stuff like that. I don't think all of sudden now that is what is causing this.

I do appreciate all your ideas though....don't stop!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Bummer! hahah. But I have been eating out all of my life. Yeah I know I am older now, but this started around lockdown/taken off thyroid time....I am sure it has something to do with that. Diet has been pretty stable since I found Peat way back in the early days.

Tonight we have dinner with friends....my go to at this restaurant is steamed clams, caprese salad, beef carpaccio with shaved parmesan and San Pelligrino water. I eat similarly in other restaurants....seafood, salad with lemon vinegar, grilled veggies.. Stuff like that. I don't think all of sudden now that is what is causing this.

I do appreciate all your ideas though....don't stop!
Maybe it is heavier portions at night? I don’t eat heavy in the evening since I won’t have a way to burn it off, so it would get stored as fat, no matter how clean I eat. I don’t eat meat at night, just during the day. I love, love, love ALL three of those dishes you mentioned. I order all three myself.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Many people with diabetes have used brewer’s yeast and DHEA to improve their sugar metabolism. In diabetes, very little sugar enters the cells, so fatigue is a problem.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Since early in this century, brewer’s yeast was used for treating diabetes. The pancreas has an estrogen receptor, and estrogen promotes insulin secretion. Since reading of yeasts’ responsiveness to sex hormones about 15 years ago, I have encouraged people to use liver when they need a vitamin-mineral supplement, and to restrict the use of brewer’s yeast mainly to treatment of diabetes.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Brewer’s yeast has been used traditionally to correct diabetes, and its high content of niacin and other B vitamins and potassium might account for it beneficial effects. However, eating a large quantity of it is likely to cause gas, so some people prefer to extract the soluble nutrients with hot water. Yeast contains a considerable amount of estrogen, and the water extract probably leaves much of that in the insoluble starchy residue.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“RP: Yeah. And, some people wake up cyclically during the night. When I was counseling dieters, there were some very fat people who would wake up: one of them woke up every hour during the night. The other one, I think, was sleeping an hour and a half, or so. And I got them to set an alarm clock to wake themselves up about 5 or 10 minutes before their expected waking, and eat anything with carbohydrates (milk, or juice, or even a cracker or something), and to do that every hour. And, within a week, they were sleeping through the night, and then they were able to start losing weight. Those stress hormones that raise your temperature and pulse rate around dawn were also increasing the blood sugar ( in diabetics, they call it the dawn phenomenon). But it’s the result of the stress hormones that rise during the night. The darkness itself is causing stress, activating hormones. So, in the winter, people are more likely to have disturbed sleep, because of long nights. And getting extra carbohydrates late in the day can help you sleep longer without these episodes of…usually, its nightmares waking people up with a pounding heart.

HD: That’s the adrenalin, right ?

RP: Yeah.”

Lizb

“RP: Yeah. And, some people wake up cyclically during the night. When I was counseling dieters, there were some very fat people who would wake up: one of them woke up every hour during the night. The other one, I think, was sleeping an hour and a half, or so. And I got them to set an alarm clock to wake themselves up about 5 or 10 minutes before their expected waking, and eat anything with carbohydrates (milk, or juice, or even a cracker or something), and to do that every hour. And, within a week, they were sleeping through the night, and then they were able to start losing weight. Those stress hormones that raise your temperature and pulse rate around dawn were also increasing the blood sugar ( in diabetics, they call it the dawn phenomenon). But it’s the result of the stress hormones that rise during the night. The darkness itself is causing stress, activating hormones. So, in the winter, people are more likely to have disturbed sleep, because of long nights. And getting extra carbohydrates late in the day can help you sleep longer without these episodes of…usually, its nightmares waking people up with a pounding heart.

HD: That’s the adrenalin, right ?

RP: Yeah.”

My buteyko teacher said the same but attributed it to low co2.
I tried it.
I've no idea how anyone successfully masters this technique.
It took me ages to get back to sleep each time which left me with so little sleep I had to give up after two nights.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My buteyko teacher said the same but attributed it to low co2.
I tried it.
I've no idea how anyone successfully masters this technique.
It took me ages to get back to sleep each time which left me with so little sleep I had to give up after two nights.
Ray Peat says the same….

“Q: When we breathe through mouth rather than nose at night, this can get rid of too much CO2 and this is a problem.

RP: yes the medical analysis is that people don’t breathe enough at night, but when you look at the blood chemistry the usual thing is that they hyperventilate during the night, because as their blood sugar is pushed down to sleep, their adrenaline comes up periodically and this makes them have in effect higher estrogen, higher inflammatory hormones which drives hyperventilation and blows off too much Carbon Dioxide. Then they don’t breathe for a while so they wake up feeling like they have died or have not been breathing enough . The best chemical for this is Diamox (Acetazolamide ) that causes the body to retain more carbon dioxide, it prevents the body from losing too much carbon dioxide which keeps it in the blood.

It’s well established as a cure for sleep Apnea, also used by skiers to prevent altitude sickness, because altitude sickness is a lack of CO2 not oxygen.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“One of the reasons that the single meal eaters tend to get fat and diabetic, is that it triggers a great surge of insulin, and the insulin then triggers cortisol. If you can eat foods that don’t trigger insulin, that’s the ideal thing. And fruit happens to be the best single type of food for not triggering the stress reactions, because it combines very small amounts of protein, with large amounts of sugar and minerals. Potassium happens to handle sugar in place of insulin, and the fructose component of fruit doesn’t require insulin. So, eating a lot of fruit, even at one meal a day, produces much smaller amounts of insulin, obesity, and cortisol, than eating, for example, just one big meal of meat and potatoes. Meat powerfully stimulates insulin and cortisol. And starches are more stimulating to insulin than sugars.” (Effects of Stress and Trauma, KMUD)” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Sugars, if they are consumed in quantities beyond the ability to metabolize them (and that easily happens in the presence of PUFA) are converted into saturated fatty acids, which have antistress, antiinflammatory effects. Many propaganda experiments are set up, feeding a grossly excessive amount of polyunsaturated fat, causing sugar to form fat, specifically so they can publish their silly diet recommendations, which supposedly explain the obesity epidemic, but the government figures I cited show that vegetable fat consumption has increased, sugar hasn’t. My articles have a lot of information on the mechanisms, such as the so-called ‘Randle cycle,’ in which fatty acids shut down the ability to oxidize sugar. Polyunsaturated fats do many things that increase blood sugar inappropriately, and my articles review several of the major mechanisms. Several years ago, medical people started talking about the harmful effects of insulin, such as stimulating fat production, so ‘insulin resistance’ which keeps a high level of insulin from producing obesity would seem to be a good thing, but the medical obesity culture really isn’t thinking very straight. One factor in the ‘insulin resistance’ created by PUFA involves estrogen—chronic accumulation of PUFA in the tissues increases the production of estrogen, and the polyunsaturated free fatty acids intensify the actions of estrogen, which acts in several ways to interfere with glucose oxidation.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Tryptophan, from dietary protein or from the catabolism of muscles, is turned into serotonin which activates the pituitary stress hormones, increasing cortisol, and intensifying catabolism, which releases more tryptophan. It suppresses thyroid function, which leads to an increased need for the stress hormones. Serotonin impairs glucose oxidation, and contributes to many of the problems associated with diabetes.”

cami06

“A lowered metabolic rate and energy production is a common feature of aging and most degenerative diseases. From the beginning of an animal's life, sugars are the primary source of energy, and with maturation and aging there is a shift toward replacing sugar oxidation with fat oxidation. Old people are able to metabolize fat at the same rate as younger people, but their overall metabolic rate is lower, because they are unable to oxidize sugar at the same high rate as young people. Fat people have a similar selectively reduced ability to oxidize sugar.

Stress and starvation lead to a relative reliance on the fats stored in the tissues, and the mobilization of these as circulating free fatty acids contributes to a slowing of metabolism and a shift away from the use of glucose for energy.“ -Ray Peat

"Old people are able to metabolize fat at the same rate as younger people, but their overall metabolic rate is lower, because they are unable to oxidize sugar at the same high rate as young people." Ray Peat

I have seen this statement in various posts on this site but I have read a lot here and don’t remember anybody putting forth changes in the way you would approach the problem of prediabetes in old people as compared to younger people. I am new here and would genuinely appreciate any ideas on this subject.

I am a 72 year old man who has been very active his whole life with a height of 5 feet 11 inches and a weight of 140 pounds. BMI according to my little graph of 19.5.

Can you, or anyone else, suggest any ways of approaching the problem in my situation or simply follow the reduce PUFA’S and Peat diet in general?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Old people are able to metabolize fat at the same rate as younger people, but their overall metabolic rate is lower, because they are unable to oxidize sugar at the same high rate as young people." Ray Peat

I have seen this statement in various posts on this site but I have read a lot here and don’t remember anybody putting forth changes in the way you would approach the problem of prediabetes in old people as compared to younger people. I am new here and would genuinely appreciate any ideas on this subject.

I am a 72 year old man who has been very active his whole life with a height of 5 feet 11 inches and a weight of 140 pounds. BMI according to my little graph of 19.5.

Can you, or anyone else, suggest any ways of approaching the problem in my situation or simply follow the reduce PUFA’S and Peat diet in general?
I would genuinely like to hear some success stories here myself. My experience helping my sister with her pre-diabetic condition was only months before I discovered Ray Peat. The success with her was proteins like beef, seafood and cheese paired with fruit, and primarily olive oil and coconut oil. I was already into coconut oil then and would pack individual packets of it with me and we, she, would put it on our restaurant meals, so that strategy inadvertently was already helping the PUFA situation. She was in her early forties and coming from an alcoholic situation and a good 100+ pounds overweight. You weighing 140 pounds, I can’t imagine you are storing any extra fat at all. I would think at that weight and your age eating regular meals and pairing them right would be most important, avoiding PUFA, especially from restaurants, getting good sleep and enough vitamin D and Calcium are all good places to focus on. What did your day of eating look like yesterday?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Several experimental studies have shown that calcium-releasing materials can significantly stimulate wound healing. They stimulate angiogenesis, collagen and extracellular matrix protein synthesis and overall tissue granulation. Polymeric composite dressings containing calcium-releasing nanoparticles are investigated as novel calcium-releasing systems that significantly accelerated wound healing in a diabetic (db/db) mouse model.”

Overton

“Brewer’s yeast has been used traditionally to correct diabetes, and its high content of niacin and other B vitamins and potassium might account for it beneficial effects. However, eating a large quantity of it is likely to cause gas, so some people prefer to extract the soluble nutrients with hot water. Yeast contains a considerable amount of estrogen, and the water extract probably leaves much of that in the insoluble starchy residue.” -Ray Peat
Interesting, I wonder if this hot water approach would work with the nutritional yeast as well. I have a jar of it that doesn't always sit well in the stomach, but the vitamin profile is good. From what I can tell brewer's yeast is better, but wondering if this is worth a shot.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Interesting, I wonder if this hot water approach would work with the nutritional yeast as well. I have a jar of it that doesn't always sit well in the stomach, but the vitamin profile is good. From what I can tell brewer's yeast is better, but wondering if this is worth a shot.
You may have to do a little experiment for this thread to find out….

“Unlike nutritional yeast, brewer’s yeast is naturally rich in chromium, which can help lower blood sugar levels. As such, brewer’s yeast might be a better option for people with diabetes. Nutritional yeast is usually fortified with vitamin B12 and thus more suitable for vegans, who can be at risk of B12 deficiency [3, 5].”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Dr. Peat mentioned in a few of his articles the studies from more than a century ago (in the late 1800s) demonstrating that feeding diabetics (even type I) 8-10 ounces of sucrose daily resulted in dramatic improvements in tissue wasting and organ dysfunction, which are often the cause of death in patients with diabetes. Those studies, of course, have been conveniently forgotten and if one brings up with their doctor the issue of feeding sugar to diabetics the doctor will probably ask that the person saying such things be committed to a mental institution.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals