Candida

Jennifer

Narouz, if you haven't tried it already, you could make a flowers of sulphur balm or footbath to get rid of the nail fungus.

You could take any oil/butter such as coconut, cocoa butter or olive oil and add flowers of sulphur to it, apply the balm to your toe, cover with socks to protect your bed sheets and leave it on overnight.

That or put some FOS in a warm foot bath and soak your feet.

OP
N

narouz

Jennifer said:
Narouz, if you haven't tried it already, you could make a flowers of sulphur balm or footbath to get rid of the nail fungus.

You could take any oil/butter such as coconut, cocoa butter or olive oil and add flowers of sulphur to it, apply the balm to your toe, cover with socks to protect your bed sheets and leave it on overnight.

Thanks, Jennifer.
That's a good idea. :)

artemis

narouz said:
I've been meaning to try an OTC toenail fungicide.
Have you?
Oh yes, I tried all the OTC creams, sprays, etc. Tried the sulfur powder too. This thing is really stubborn!

tara

My understanding is a that for fungal a skin infection, two weeks topical treatment may do it. But once it's into the toenail, you have to keep treating them daily (or maybe twice daily) till new healthy nail grows out and you can remove all the old infected stuff. Strong metabolism is likely protective once the fungus is eradicated, but not curative in itself unless you also tackle it topically. There is no blood supply into the already grown toenail.

HDD

"Nystatln is also believed to act on fungal steroids. and it can be toxic to the patient. but it is considered the best treatment for a deadly systemic infection (e.g., lungs. heart, kidneys)"

From the recently posted Towsend Letters
download/file.php?id=968
Immunity, Hormones and Yeast Infections pp 31-32

OP
N

narouz

Jennifer said:

I meant to tell you Jennifer,
as far as external application of Flowers of Sulfur...

I tried it a couple of years ago for jock itch.
Man was that a bad idea.
Every pair of underwear or pants that came into contact with it
I ultimately had to throw away.
I washed them in everything known to man,
and it was just absolutely tenacious.
And...didn't help the jock itch.

(This is not to poopoo your kind suggestion about foot application. Thanks again.)

OP
N

narouz

HDD said:
"Nystatln is also believed to act on fungal steroids. and it can be toxic to the patient. but it is considered the best treatment for a deadly systemic infection (e.g., lungs. heart, kidneys)"

From the recently posted Towsend Letters
download/file.php?id=968
Immunity, Hormones and Yeast Infections pp 31-32

Dang, HDD.
And here I was, in receipt of my Nystatin powder,
poised to enema it up my butt! :lol:

Kidding. Thanks. :D

I guess that's Peat in the quote?
(I mean, those Townsend Letters are not only Peat, right?)
I did see that loess kindly posted those,
but haven't had a chance to peruse.)

In looking around the web about Nystatin's toxicity,
I did see that it could act on "plant sterols,"
which the source (don't know how reliable) said included cholesterol.
That's perhaps a bit disturbing.

On it being the best treatment for systemic fungal infections...
I've been under the impression it is safe to take orally
(and, for the same reason, arguably, rectally)
because it does not cross out of the intestines into the blood.
That is, it would not have much of a systemic effect.
But I may've read that it is possible to use Nystatin intravenously...can't remember.

In any case, thanks for the heads up! :)

Jennifer

narouz said:
Jennifer said:

I meant to tell you Jennifer,
as far as external application of Flowers of Sulfur...

I tried it a couple of years ago for jock itch.
Man was that a bad idea.
Every pair of underwear or pants that came into contact with it
I ultimately had to throw away.
I washed them in everything known to man,
and it was just absolutely tenacious.
And...didn't help the jock itch.

(This is not to poopoo your kind suggestion about foot application. Thanks again.)
You're welcome, narouz. :) I'm sorry external application didn't work out for you.

When I thought the rash on my face might of been caused by a fungal infection, I made a flowers of sulphur face mask. I smelled for days and so did the wash cloth I used. I will say that I secretly liked getting that occasional whiff of sulphur. It reminded me of egg salad. LOL Unfortunately, that's not too pretty of a smell to most who came in contact with me. It was right up there with the 7 day raw garlic experiment I did. I'm surprised I haven't turned people off completely from ever coming near me. Hehe!

OP
N

narouz

Jennifer said:
You're welcome, narouz. :) I'm sorry external application didn't work out for you.

When I thought the rash on my face might of been caused by a fungal infection, I made a flowers of sulphur face mask. I smelled for days and so did the wash cloth I used. I will say that I secretly liked getting that occasional whiff of sulphur. It reminded me of egg salad. LOL Unfortunately, that's not too pretty of a smell to most who came in contact with me. It was right up there with the 7 day raw garlic experiment I did. I'm surprised I haven't turned people off completely from ever coming near me. Hehe!

I never asked:
did that brimstone face mask help the rash?

OP
N

narouz

haidut had a very interesting post a few days back
about candida and aspirin.
Read to the very end where he has some good remarks:

Aspirin as an antifungal drug, even against Candida
Post by haidut » Thu May 21, 2015 4:11 pm

It seems that aspirin may be useful to people struggling with Candida problems. This study shows various concentrations of aspirin inhibiting fungal growth and even killing Candida.

http://aac.asm.org/content/48/1/41?ijke ... f_ipsecsha

"...In the present study, a catheter disk model system was used to investigate the effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (all cyclooxygenase inhibitors) on biofilm formation by three strains of C. albicans. Seven of nine drugs tested at a concentration of 1 mM inhibited biofilm formation. Aspirin, etodolac, and diclofenac produced the greatest effects, with aspirin causing up to 95% inhibition. Celecoxib, nimesulide, ibuprofen, and meloxicam also inhibited biofilm formation, but to a lesser extent. Aspirin was active against growing and fully mature (48-h) biofilms; its effect was dose related, and it produced significant inhibition (20 to 80%) at pharmacological concentrations. Simultaneous addition of prostaglandin E2 abolished the inhibitory effect of 25 or 50 μM aspirin. At 1 mM, aspirin reduced the viability of biofilm organisms to 1.9% of that of controls. Surviving cells had a wrinkled appearance, as judged by scanning electron microscopy, and consisted of both yeasts and hyphae. Treatment with other cyclooxygenase inhibitors, such as etodolac, resulted in biofilms that consisted almost entirely of yeast cells. In conventional assays for germ tube formation, these drugs produced significant inhibition, whereas aspirin had little effect. Our findings suggest that cyclooxygenase-dependent synthesis of fungal prostaglandin(s) is important for both biofilm development and morphogenesis in C. albicans and may act as a regulator in these physiological processes. Our results also demonstrate that aspirin possesses potent antibiofilm activity in vitro and could be useful in combined therapy with conventional antifungal agents in the management of some biofilm-associated Candida infections."

http://femsyr.oxfordjournals.org/content/7/8/1207.long

"...The presence of aspirin-sensitive 3-hydroxy fatty acids (i.e. 3-OH oxylipins) in yeasts was first reported in the early 1990s. Since then, these oxidized fatty acids have been found to be widely distributed in yeasts. 3-OH oxylipins may: (1) have potent biological activity in mammalian cells; (2) act as antifungals; and (3) assist during forced spore release from enclosed sexual cells (asci). A link between 3-OH oxylipin production, mitochondria and aspirin sensitivity exists. Research suggests that: (1) 3-OH oxylipins in some yeasts are probably also produced by mitochondria through incomplete β-oxidation; (2) aspirin inhibits mitochondrial β-oxidation and 3-OH oxylipin production; (3) yeast sexual stages, which are probably more dependent on mitochondrial activity, are also characterized by higher 3-OH oxylipin levels as compared to asexual stages; (4) yeast sexual developmental stages as well as cell adherence/flocculation are more sensitive to aspirin than corresponding asexual growth stages; and (5) mitochondrion-dependent asexual yeast cells with a strict aerobic metabolism are more sensitive to aspirin than those that can also produce energy through an alternative anaerobic glycolytic fermentative pathway in which mitochondria are not involved. This review interprets a wide network of studies that reveal aspirin to be a novel antifungal."

"...In a groundbreaking study, Botha et al. (1992) analyzed the life cycles of the nonfermenting yeasts Dipodascopsis tothii and Dipodascopsis uninucleata, as well as the inhibitory effect of the NSAIDs aspirin and indomethacin. When the yeasts were grown in synchronous culture, the life cycles of both were characterized by similar consecutive asexual and sexual reproductive stages (Fig. 2). In the presence of different concentrations of aspirin (i.e. 0.1, 0.2, 0.5 and 1.0 mM), dose-dependent inhibition of the asexual vegetative stage was observed in both yeasts, although 0.1 and 0.2 mM aspirin did not inhibit this stage in Dipodascopsis uninucleata."

"...In addition, other NSAIDs, such as indomethacin, should be tested on their own and in combination with known antifungals for antifungal activity. In vitro studies have shown that the NSAID ibuprofen alone, and in combination with azoles, is a potent, medically useful antifungal in the treatment of candidosis, particularly when applied topically (Pina-Vaz et al., 2000). In this study, ibuprofen at 5 mg mL−1 inhibited growth, and at 10 mg mL−1 showed rapid fungicidal activity against Ca. albicans. These actions are attributed to metabolic alterations and cytoplasmic membrane damage at 5 and 10 mg mL−1, respectively. Unfortunately, no details are available in this study regarding metabolic changes induced by this NSAID."

The aspirin doses are not that high. A person can achieve concentration of 1mM with a dose of 30mg/kg aspirin orally. This should be effective against internal Candida infestations. For oral fungus or topical application, you can use the iburpofen numbers for now (see above quote).

Jennifer

narouz said:
Jennifer said:

I never asked:
did that brimstone face mask help the rash?
No, it didn't help. I think it's because the rash stems from intestinal inflamation and not a localized fungal infection of the skin.

However, I did see results with taking the flowers of sulphur internally. It helped get rid of that lump and pain I had in my cecum. I just bought some homeopathic sublimed sulphur pellets to have on hand if it ever returns. It would be nice if they work just as well as the loose powder. They're only excipient is sucrose so they taste like candy. :)

OP
N

narouz

Jennifer said:
No, it didn't help. I think it's because the rash stems from intestinal inflamation and not a localized fungal infection of the skin.

However, I did see results with taking the flowers of sulphur internally. It helped get rid of that lump and pain I had in my cecum. I just bought some homeopathic sublimed sulphur pellets to have on hand if it ever returns. It would be nice if they work just as well as the loose powder. They're only excipient is sucrose so they taste like candy. :)

How are your temps and pulses doing these days, Jennifer?
I can't remember...are you hypothyroid?

Jennifer

narouz said:
My temps dropped a full degree recently from not eating enough and losing weight. Before that, I averaged 97.8 degrees (morning) and 98.6 degrees (daytime). This past week I've been eating a lot of ice cream to help get extra calories in and my temps are slowly rising. My pulse averages 70 upon waking and stays around 85 during the day. Last I checked my TSH was .005, but that was back in December so I need to have a thyroid panel done again.

OP
N

narouz

Jennifer said:
narouz said:
My temps dropped a full degree recently from not eating enough and losing weight. Before that, I averaged 97.8 degrees (morning) and 98.6 degrees (daytime). This past week I've been eating a lot of ice cream to help get extra calories in and my temps are slowly rising. My pulse averages 70 upon waking and stays around 85 during the day. Last I checked my TSH was .005, but that was back in December so I need to have a thyroid panel done again.

When your metabolic signs are good,
as they seem to have been until just recently,
has your gut also been okay?

Jennifer

narouz said:
When your metabolic signs are good,
as they seem to have been until just recently,
has your gut also been okay?
No, my gut has consistently been a problem no matter how good my metabolic markers are. I think it started with 80/10/10 and only got worse when I did RBTI and was put on all kinds of enzymes and supplements. I developed horrible acid reflux for the first time in my life, along with the burning gut.

jyb

Jennifer said:

Oh, never tried FOS for athletes foot. I tried vinegar, coconut oil and methylene blue in the past.

OP
N

narouz

Dang. I'm sorry, Jennifer.
I've had some significant improvements
including in the gut/digestion area lately.
I changed a lot of things at one time a few months back.
I will enlarge on that if you like
but I think, maybe, the key elements were:

-methylene blue in low doses, under 5mg, 3 times per day
-lysine, 500mg x 3 or 4
-calcium, 500mg x3
-kraut
-sprouted grain bread (Ezekial brand), couple slices per day
-no nightshades
-s. boulardii and b. coagulans
-pau d'arco

I kinda suspect the methylene blue has been the key thing.
If I were suggest one thing, that would be it.
It is a quinone, so has a lot of complex properties.

*edit: oh...I forgot to note: I stopped taking D3.
Do you take that as a supplement?

Jennifer

jyb said:
Jennifer said:

Oh, never tried FOS for athletes foot. I tried vinegar, coconut oil and methylene blue in the past.
Did any of those work, jyb?

Jennifer

narouz said:
Dang. I'm sorry, Jennifer.
I've had some significant improvements
including in the gut/digestion area lately.
I changed a lot of things at one time a few months back.
I will enlarge on that if you like
but I think, maybe, the key elements were:

-methylene blue in low doses, under 5mg, 3 times per day
-lysine, 500mg x 3 or 4
-calcium, 500mg x3
-kraut
-sprouted grain bread (Ezekial brand), couple slices per day
-no nightshades
-s. boulardii and b. coagulans
-pau d'arco

I kinda suspect the methylene blue has been the key thing.
If I were suggest one thing, that would be it.
It is a quinone, so has a lot of complex properties.

*edit: oh...I forgot to note: I stopped taking D3.
Do you take that as a supplement?
Oh thank you, narouz! I'm slowly getting it all sorted out so I feel confident I'll be doing much better in the very near future. I'm glad to hear you're seeing improvements. That's great! :)

I do supplement D3 sporadically, yes.

Funny, I use to eat Ezekial bread and eventually started making my own out of sprouted flours from To Your Health Sprouted Grain Co. So you feel better with grains in your diet? I'm interested for you to expand on what you changed a few months back, if you wouldn't mind?

jyb

Jennifer said:
jyb said:
Jennifer said:

Did any of those work, jyb?

A vinegar application should take care of it, but it needs to be regular, is not permanent and possibly not as effective as the over the counter athletes foot paste you find at the pharmacy (which should be permanent?! until you get re-infected). Coconut oil didn't seem effective. I'm not sure about MB yet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals