Candida

HDD

I experienced a lot of heat after a meal yesterday evening. I had baked cod and some shrimp. I was sipping a red bull over a few hours, too. I just looked up the nutrients in the seafood and I probably had about 100 mcg of selenium from the cod and shrimp. This is the only thing I could attribute the extra heat to. I know this isn't anything new to you but just thought I would throw that out there.

Dearest Narouz....We seem to be in the same boat, without an appendix, tonsils or a paddle.

I had my tonsils removed (against my will) at the age of 3, and I do think they are an important part of the immune system. My appendix ruptured in August of 2010. I was severely hypothyroid and 80 pounds heavier at the time. I had a blood antibodies test for our mutual acquaintance, Candida, which came up positive, naturally. This is when I adopted the low-carb diet to "starve" her out and began a tedious rotation different anti-fungals, both prescription and natural. It seemed to be working at first, but if I strayed from the diet even a little (having a half a cup of blueberries) that B*tch came back with a vengeance.

By the time I finally gave up the low-carb insanity I was covered head to toe, literally. I had it in my ears, nose, scalp crotch, intestines and feet...oh yes, low back pain too. I was slowly decaying right before my very eyes.

Since raising my metabolism using all the Peaty stuff the only place it bugs me now is my lower intestines, every other place has healed despite a massive increase of sugar in my diet. My lingering off and on gut issue seems to be very similar. I get what feels like a large knot or lump right at the junction of my ileum and cecum. Lately, I have taken to massaging my ileo-cecal valve, it seems to help, makes a lot of squishy weird noise though, like there is gas and liquid trapped. If I allow the inflammation/bloating to go on too long I will develop chronic diarrhea. I'm guessing this is from too much serotonin due to that specific spot being irritated.

Taking various natural antifungals/probiotics keeps it in check, but the issue seems to come back several months after ending a protocol. My body has gone through some tremendous healing, but for whatever reason my immune system cannot seem to get ahead of this gut thing and heal it permanently.

I am tired of taking pills all the time, I WANT A CURE!!! I'm considering this crazy idea of yours....I'll do it if you and Jennifer do it, then we can all compare notes.

And please don't feel the need to apologize that this isn't Peat approved....I'm pretty sure he still has his appendix. Maybe he has never suffered severe hypothyroidism for an extended period of time?

I read a book by Hulda Clark like 20 years ago, maybe she's a quack...I dunno. I was desperately searching for answers pre-internet and prior to being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Anyways, her theory was that some sorta parasite takes up residence and favors the cecum and this eventually causes appendicitis.

Suikerbuik

My thyroid supp levels, while high, wouldn't seem to me
to be out of line with Peat's notions about those levels.
He says to pay attention to signs like pulse/temps of course.
And to how you feel, etc.
Well...I felt good, slept good, pulses about 85-ish, temps about 98.6-99....
so...all seemed to be going fine for those good 6 months or so.
Peat says try to stay around 4:1 or 3:1 T4 to T3, and don't go over 2:1.
So, again, I stayed within those ranges.

I don't want to be right but 180 mcg T4 and 75 mcg is not nothing :). Your body is constantly changing and hormones usually work cumulative. It is reported earlier that initially a dose goes fine and then after a while you get palps, skipping etc. And this really is a sign that your heart cannot handle this dose. Pulse and temp do not have to be 'elevated' or even optimal for such things to happen.

Marvel

Going seriously low-pufa was very helpful for clearing up my athlete's foot, toenail fungus and also I had a horrible patch of what I guess was eczema on my right shin, but after going very low pufa for a few weeks it was clear that this was all clearing up and hasn't shown any signs of returning.

I have a modified Peat way of eating. White rice and potatoes are a large source of carbohydrates for me (I do drink tropical fruit juice too) but the main thing is that I seriously cut down on meat, even organ meats and I don't eat as much dairy as he seems to often recommend as I found that eating the animal products more as a condiment than the centre of a meal, and focussing more on the "safe" starches and low fat in general rather that high protein plus coconut oil boosted my warmth, pulse, positivity and energy.

It's possible that this has been some sort of healing phase and I may swing back further down the line, but it has seriously healed the fungus issues for me which I believe all pufas were contributing to, even smaller doses from meat and dairy.

Jennifer

thebigpeatowski said:
http://youtu.be/Nl6XTjfoICs
OMG! That was the best! You get a bazillion points for finding that video, BP. I bow down to your music genius. :bow

That's it, narouz! It's time to drop your lady Candida. She ain't nothing but a homewrecker. :lol:

thebigpeatowski said:
Taking various natural antifungals/probiotics keeps it in check, but the issue seems to come back several months after ending a protocol. My body has gone through some tremendous healing, but for whatever reason my immune system cannot seem to get ahead of this gut thing and heal it permanently.

I am tired of taking pills all the time, I WANT A CURE!!! I'm considering this crazy idea of yours....I'll do it if you and Jennifer do it, then we can all compare notes.
Yeah, when you mentioned having to do the olive leaf extract because your issues came back, I was really disappointed. I mean, at what point do you no longer have to deal with this and finally get permanent relief!?

My mom's severe diarrhea came back too so something just isn't right. We're hoping that my stool test shows the cause of my issues and that this may even give us a clue as to what she may be dealing with also. Our symptoms are too similar and all developed around the same timeframe. I get the results when I see my doctor on Jan 2nd and depending on what's found, I'll seriously consider the Nystatin enema.

thebigpeatowski said:
I read a book by Hulda Clark like 20 years ago, maybe she's a quack...I dunno. I was desperately searching for answers pre-internet and prior to being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Anyways, her theory was that some sorta parasite takes up residence and favors the cecum and this eventually causes appendicitis.
In regards to the parasite, Lita Lee seems to think that Candida can be mistaken for other parasites since they cause similar symptoms so maybe Hulda's theory has some validity? Here's part of Lita's quote:

"Many clients who come to me believe that they have candidiasis and that ,it is the cause of all of their health problems. I disagree. Candidiasis isn’t the cause of illness. It is the outcome of a suppressed immune sys- tem from a bad diet, overuse of antibiotics or serious illness. Candidiasis is not quite as common as many people believe. Why? Many of the symptoms of candidi- asis overlap with those of poor digestion. Also, parasites other than Candida albi- cans can have very similar signs and indications as those for candidiasis. These symptoms can include bloating, food and environmental allergies, gastroin- testinal problems, constipation or diar- rhea, itchy skin, skin rashes and so on."

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/0 ... sis-myths/

Jennifer said:
thebigpeatowski said:
OMG! That was the best! You get a bazillion points for finding that video, BP. I bow down to your music genius. :bow

That's it, narouz! It's time to drop your lady Candida. She ain't nothing but a homewrecker. :lol:

Ha ha...I laughed out loud when I found it, the lyrics are perfect and I love that screen shot at the beginning with that wench buried in candy and lollipops.

Perhaps we should worm ourselves whilst insulting our backsides? This is a fine topic indeed. :shock:

OP
N

narouz

HDD said:
I experienced a lot of heat after a meal yesterday evening. I had baked cod and some shrimp. I was sipping a red bull over a few hours, too. I just looked up the nutrients in the seafood and I probably had about 100 mcg of selenium from the cod and shrimp. This is the only thing I could attribute the extra heat to. I know this isn't anything new to you but just thought I would throw that out there.

It's a good thought, HDD. Thanks!
I do eat shrimp or oysters weekly.
Still...I'll add some more and see....

Just listening to Peat's new KMUD today,
I was reminded of his view of the important of adequate protein in metabolism.
With the antibiotics and my gut feeling kinda off and not much appetite,
I'm sure I'm not at Peat-optimal protein levels.
So...another way to go.

OP
N

narouz

thebigpeatowski said:

I had successfully repressed that song from memory,
and there you go dredging it up from my subconscious... :lol:

OP
N

narouz

Suikerbuik said:
My thyroid supp levels, while high, wouldn't seem to me
to be out of line with Peat's notions about those levels.
He says to pay attention to signs like pulse/temps of course.
And to how you feel, etc.
Well...I felt good, slept good, pulses about 85-ish, temps about 98.6-99....
so...all seemed to be going fine for those good 6 months or so.
Peat says try to stay around 4:1 or 3:1 T4 to T3, and don't go over 2:1.
So, again, I stayed within those ranges.

I don't want to be right but 180 mcg T4 and 75 mcg is not nothing :). Your body is constantly changing and hormones usually work cumulative. It is reported earlier that initially a dose goes fine and then after a while you get palps, skipping etc. And this really is a sign that your heart cannot handle this dose. Pulse and temp do not have to be 'elevated' or even optimal for such things to happen.

You may very well be right, Suik.
In any case I'm grateful to have your take--a good angle to consider.

Maybe I should not think of my half-year of seemingly great metabolism so idyllically.
And so, not see my goal as primarily being able to again take that high a dose without palps.
Maybe I should be more thorough in investigating ways to up my metabolism without a lot of thyroid.

Go back to the Peat basics more carefully: optimal foods, lots of red light, etc.

I do think something is not right with my intestines.
On the latest KMUD a woman called in with a thyroid/palpitation problem
similar to mine.
Magnesium was noted (I've been taking a lot...hasn't made dramatic difference).
And then Peat moved to the intestines and possible irritation.
He was exploring the possibility that intestinal irritation
therefore stress therefore serotonin etc etc,
might be causing the woman's palpitations.

Candidiasis?
If it exists (! :lol: ) it would surely be a big irritant. Stressor.
It's outside the Peat box, yes, but not so far really.
I will probably try the Nystatin enemas--
wouldn't seem to be too dangerous/damaging.

And maybe I will drop Vit D3 for a while and see if I can get it just through foods.
Not much sun this time of year here.

Also, I now will be able to start evaluating the possible role in all this
of my teeth.
One long-wobbly tooth gone and another long-cracked one root canal-ed and a round of antibiotics.
It's been a week and only now is the inflammation almost normalized.
The electric shock-like twinging in my temple above the teeth just today seems to be almost disappearing
along with linked "shocks" through my tongue and jaw.
So...maybe this was connected to my palpitations.

Thanks a lot, Suik!

tara

Welcome Marvel :welcome

OP
N

narouz

thebigpeatowski said:
Since raising my metabolism using all the Peaty stuff the only place it bugs me now is my lower intestines, every other place has healed despite a massive increase of sugar in my diet. My lingering off and on gut issue seems to be very similar. I get what feels like a large knot or lump right at the junction of my ileum and cecum. Lately, I have taken to massaging my ileo-cecal valve, it seems to help, makes a lot of squishy weird noise though, like there is gas and liquid trapped. If I allow the inflammation/bloating to go on too long I will develop chronic diarrhea. I'm guessing this is from too much serotonin due to that specific spot being irritated.

And isn't it interesting, bigpeat, that that location--the cecum--
is just where our appendixes used to be...?

thebigpeatowski said:

As I was just saying to Suikerbuik,
the (admittedly daunting) Nystatin enema thing
would not seem to me,
after mulling it over and researching it a few weeks,
to be very risky.
I mean, the CIA did "rectal feedings" to torture their prisoners:
I guess that entails squirting food up their colon.
That seems pretty horrible and bizarre, but apparently not a big health risk:
I would think they wanted their prisoners alive so they could produce info....

It would be nice to clean out that cecum/transverse colon area
and de-fungi it, wouldn't it?
Just to check that off the list.

OP
N

narouz

It was interesting so I pasted the whole thing. Thanks!

Jennifer said:

Candidiasis Myths by Lita Lee, PhD

I wrote an article years ago on Candidiasis and Other Parasites. It’s available on my website. There are many myths about candidiasis. Below are some of them.

Systemic candidiasis is a myth: According to Dr. Ray Peat, most of what people believe about candida is wrong, but candida can become a problem for sick people. IgA is the main type of antibody on surfaces and secretions and should protect against candidiasis. But IgA is deficient in hypothyroidism, so hypothyroid people have more susceptible membranes, and the yeasts thrive on sugar that can appear in the secretions in diabetes/stress, but they adhere to any cell with estradiol in it, thinking they have found a fertile yeast. Eating sugar and fruit is helpful, rather than harmful as the cultists say, because well nourished yeasts aren’t harmful in the intestine. But starved yeasts need sugar and so they project invasive filaments into the intestinal wall, and can get into the blood stream, at which point — if they aren’t quickly destroyed by white blood cells — they can grow and quickly kill the person. In a typical year, a few people in the world get invasive candida and quickly die, but millions of Americans will insist that they ‘have candida in the bloodstream.’ Eating sugar (fruits, fruit juices) lowers cortisol, keeping the white cells working, helps to increase thyroid, and keeps the yeast from becoming invasive. PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids or omega-3 and -6 oils) are yeast stimulants, unlike saturated fats. The white film on grapes is a layer of yeast cells, that live there because of the PUFA in the waxy surface of the grape.” (Source: Dr. Ray Peat; http://www.raypeat.com)

The anti-candida diet is unhealthy. In fact the sugars in fruits, as indicated above by Dr. Ray Peat, the yeast in bread, and many other foods on this list have nothing to do with candidiasis. The pro-thyroid diet would be excellent for preventing candidiasis, plus the enzymes and nutritional supplements listed below. Many people who believe they have candidiasis do not really have it. Many clients who come to me believe that they have candidiasis and that it is the cause of all of their health problems. I disagree. Candidiasis isn’t the cause of illness. It is the outcome of a suppressed immune system from a bad diet, overuse of antibiotics or serious illness. Candidiasis is not quite as common as many people believe. Why? Many of the symptoms of candidiasis overlap with those of poor digestion. Also, parasites other than Candida albicans can have very similar signs and indications as those for candidiasis. These symptoms can include bloating, food and environmental allergies, gastrointestinal problems, constipation or diarrhea, itchy skin, skin rashes and so on.

References:

Lita Lee, PhD – April 2003 To Your Health; Candidiasis Myths

Posted in General.

Tagged with candida, candidiasis, fruit, functionalps, Lita Lee, parasites, Ray Peat, sugar, yeast.

No comments
By Team FPS – September 7, 2011

Yep. *nods emphatically*

Gonna worm myself too cuz 'm a freak that way....so where do we get Nystatin? I took it orally a couple of years ago, it was a nasty "cherry" flavored gunk that came in a tooothpaste-like tube. I did a spoonful twice a day, I don't recall any improvements, but I think you are 100% correct...we need to be attacking from the other end.....ew,*wincing*

And just for the record: I do think that terrain is EVERYTHING....however, I have been trying to fix this issue for far too long. I need some sorta intervention that will help my body balance itself and lead to a permanent cure.

OP
N

narouz

thebigpeatowski said:
Yep. *nods emphatically*

Gonna worm myself too cuz 'm a freak that way....so where do we get Nystatin? I took it orally a couple of years ago, it was a nasty "cherry" flavored gunk that came in a tooothpaste-like tube. I did a spoonful twice a day, I don't recall any improvements, but I think you are 100% correct...we need to be attacking from the other end.....ew,*wincing*

And just for the record: I do think that terrain is EVERYTHING....however, I have been trying to fix this issue for far too long. I need some sorta intervention that will help my body balance itself and lead to a permanent cure.

BP-
google "fludan" ;)

I just realized that I have NOT tried Nystatin, it was Miconazole 2% Oral Gel that I had used...fairly worthless stuff I might add.

Running to obtain some Nystatin now and rather hopeful to be trying something different. Jennifer, will your mother be experimenting?

OP
N

narouz

thebigpeatowski said:
I just realized that I have NOT tried Nystatin, it was Miconazole 2% Oral Gel that I had used...fairly worthless stuff I might add.

Running to obtain some Nystatin now and rather hopeful to be trying something different. Jennifer, will your mother be experimenting?

Who could know Nystatin Retention Enemas would be so wildly popular?
Soon the craze will be sweeping the entire forum! :lol:

Sheila

Hello,
I was chatting to a friend about candida like you do, a woman who has made a wondrous improvement to her chronic health issues by following Peat's understandings. Since it is a yeast, and some yeasts produce various forms of B3 (niacin and niacinamide) we wondered whether candida was some kind of symbiotic helper (even if last ditch!) for those with low metabolism. The - albeit potentially slightly crazy - theory being the host can't make/get the B3 it needs because it is so compromised energetically, so the fungus turns up to do it for the host, with unfortunately some very unpleasant side effects. Brewers yeast and certain (edible) mushrooms are high in B3 too but I have no real idea how all these spore critters are really related.
Nor if B3 production is a 'mushroom/fungi/yeast' general thing.

[As an aside, in Sugar Myths 2 which is just in for verification, and will be up shortly, Peat says:

"....and the thyroid hormone is what basically distinguishes humans from fungus and bacteria and such; the higher development of the brain goes, the more oxidative energy production is needed. " ]

Anyway, well done for reading this far, even if your eyes are rolling. Because the next bit, is that Niacinamide has been trialled as a cure for candida via modulation of a specific gene expression (I think) of the yeast.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141617.htm

Journal Reference:

Hugo Wurtele, Sarah Tsao, Guylaine Lépine, Alaka Mullick, Jessy Tremblay, Paul Drogaris, Eun-Hye Lee, Pierre Thibault, Alain Verreault, Martine Raymond. Modulation of histone H3 lysine 56 acetylation as an antifungal therapeutic strategy. Nature Medicine, 2010; 16 (7): 774 DOI: 10.1038/nm.2175

Now, I don't know about that, but what if by giving the niacinamide there is no more reason for the yeast to be in the loop, at least at overgrowth levels? And the host gets help with energy production and hopefully everyone's happy. (I see this as akin to balanced sugar levels keeping candida present but nicely quiescent.)

Just a thought, does supplementary niacinamide kill it or does it make it no longer required?
Feel free to tell me where the logic bomb is. Or that I am hypoglycaemic or must just get out more.
It might just be useful without the above conjecture to help some of you with this issue if you've not already tried and tested this avenue.
Bye for now

Sheila