What Ray Said

freyasam

Like every supplement he says take it until symptoms subside. Cascara, like everything in excess is well known to have a possible downside…

Cascara is a popular herbal medication and over-the-counter therapy of constipation. “Cascara is generally safe and well tolerated, but can cause adverse events including clinically apparent liver injury when used in high doses for longer than recommended periods.”

“Use of cascara in the recommended doses for a limited period of time has been associated with few side effects, most of which are mild and transient. With longer term use of high doses of cascara, however, adverse events have been described including several cases of clinically apparent liver injury. The time to onset of liver injury has varied from a few days to 2 months of use, and the pattern of serum enzyme elevations varied from hepatocellular to cholestatic. The liver injury ranged from mild to severe, but usually resolved rapidly with discontinuation. Immunoallergic features and autoimmune markers were not prominent or consistently present in the published cases.”
Thanks Rinse. I should've done more research!

Thanks Rinse. I should've done more research!
I gotchu! I use cascara in loose tea form and lightly steep it stirring for about 40 seconds to make it mild with plenty of sugar. The capsules were horrible causing me immense cramping, and that was taking only one of the two capsules recommended. I was scared of of the stuff! I might take it twice a week if I am at more restaurants than usual or twice a month if I have been a good girl. I take it not for any constipation, but to get a PUFA starch laden meal out quick so it doesn’t get time to me any damage sitting around to long.

Peatress

1707429902881.png

Honeycomb

❤️ What a coincidence - or not!!? I got some lamb yesterday and I am planning on making some tortillas later. I have just been looking online for recipes or tasty combinations. I haven’t eaten lamb in years and really want it to work out. I am thinking of pan frying the lamb in butter with onions and red pepper strips and top the mix with grated cheddar cheese. I will check out your food threads now as this pic is really calling me! 😀

❤️ What a coincidence - or not!!? I got some lamb yesterday and I am planning on making some tortillas later. I have just been looking online for recipes or tasty combinations. I haven’t eaten lamb in years and really want it to work out. I am thinking of pan frying the lamb in butter with onions and red pepper strips and top the mix with grated cheddar cheese. I will check out your food threads now as this pic is really calling me! 😀
I am happy to be inspiration with my amazing accidental lamb tacos. I posted the recipe in my “Peaty Proteins” thread on page 17. Just above the recipe for the tacos I posted how I made the lamb. I bought a lamb neck because it was cheap, and I was hoping to get some natural thyroid out of it making a gelatinous bone broth with it, like fish head soup. I found the meat to be so moist and tasty that making carnitas with it was a perfect use of it. Boy was it ever good!

Ray says Cascara is ok to be taken every day.
I hadn’t heard from Ray anything one way or the other, only from articles and from the instructions on the bottle when I was taking it in capsule form. Where did you hear from Ray it was ok everyday?

WonMore

I hadn’t heard from Ray anything one way or the other, only from articles and from the instructions on the bottle when I was taking it in capsule form. Where did you hear from Ray it was ok everyday?
It was response to someone's email. I guess it is buried somewhere in Email Advice Depository thread. He said it has many protective effects (Cascara).

It was response to someone's email. I guess it is buried somewhere in Email Advice Depository thread. He said it has many protective effects (Cascara).
I know about it protective from cancer, but like all supplements, I didn’t hear him say take it everyday endlessly. He doesn’t promote taking supplements daily, only until the problem is resolved. Here is a small collection of his quotes that give me pause to take anything especially on a regular basis….

"When a person uses a drug, there is generally an awareness that the benefit has to be weighed against the side effects. But if something is treated as a “nutrient,” especially an “essential nutrient,” there is an implication that it won't produce undesirable side effects." -Ray Peat

"...the presence of a certain amount of one nutrient often increases or decreases the amount of other nutrients needed." -Ray Peat

“Emodin, an anti-inflammatory substance found in cascara sagrada bark and other plants, is similar to other molecules that have been used for treating cancer, and one of its effects is to lower HIF: "Consistently, emodin attenuated the expression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2), VEGF, hypoxia inducible factor 1 alpha (HIF-1!), MMP-1 and MMP-13 at mRNA level in IL-1" and LPS-treated synoviocytes under hypoxia" (Ha, et al., 2011). MMP-1 and MMP-13 are collagenase enzymes involved in metastasis. When cells are fully nourished, supplied with protective hormones, and properly illuminated, their ability to communicate should be able to govern their movements, preventing--and possibly reversing--metastatic migration.” -Ray Peat

“For many years, I have been seeing more symptoms relieved by stopping all the chemical supplements, than by using them.” -Ray Peat

“Because of contaminants in supplements I seldom recommend the oral use of any of them, except aspirin, which can be dissolved in warm water to remove most of the additives. In the winter I use vitamin D, but only on my skin in an oil. Using a thyroid supplement temporarily might help to lower your estrogen." -Ray Peat

Last edited:

supercoolguy

A radio/podcast interview about CS daily consumption by saying He's, Known people who use it everyday for years.

A radio/podcast interview about CS daily consumption by saying He's, Known people who use it everyday for years.
I know there are a lot of people on the forum that use it daily. I don’t think that that speaks of them having good health. I found many other ways to give my body what it needs to have it function well on it’s own, mainly homemade fruit waters. They give me a lot of natural magnesium and vitamin C. I only use the cascara after a restaurant visit for obvious reasons.

WonMore

I know about it protective from cancer, but like all supplements, I didn’t hear him say take it everyday endlessly. He doesn’t promote taking supplements daily, only until the problem is resolved. Here is a small collection of his quotes that give me pause to take anything especially on a regular basis….
I didn't hear him saying to take it endlessly either. I cannot find that quote, I went through Email Advise Depository thread and don't see it. Must been somewhere else. But even by induction: he has a whole article about Cascara, recommended it frequently, says everyone should have at least one bowel movement a day etc. How people with constipation would have to use it if not every day? It doesn't make sense.
He takes aspirin and thyroid daily.
As a side note, it is arguable whether Cascara is a supplement or a food.

I didn't hear him saying to take it endlessly either. I cannot find that quote, I went through Email Advise Depository thread and don't see it. Must been somewhere else. But even by induction: he has a whole article about Cascara, recommended it frequently, says everyone should have at least one bowel movement a day etc. How people with constipation would have to use it if not every day? It doesn't make sense.
He specifically said take supplements, until symptoms reside. He talked about daily supplements causing allergies even. I think cascara is one of the best tools for good health, but I give my body a chance to figure things out changing up my diet. Fruit waters have been an amazing tool for many health purposes and keeps my from relying on anything. Yes cascara is better than getting backed up, but getting backed up is a signal to change the diet, not just take cascara, but people want to eat what they want to eat, so I guess that is the solution. When you have to take a supplement everyday or it is not going to go well is a sign that something is not adding up to good health. The warnings all over the place about cascara not being taken everyday is something to pay attention to. I love milk and drink a whole lot of it, but sometimes when I run out I just use the break to see where I am at and try some new things. I’m sixty and I don’t take thyroid and I’m healthier than anyone I know without one health issue, no medications and no supplements, but it wasn’t always that way in my my herbal supplements days. I was the cautionary tale about “too much of a good thing”. Supplements can be useful, but for me food is a far better option.

“I have been messing around with cascara for the last couple weeks. It has been great for inflammation, getting rid of restless legs, obviously helping transit time, blood sugar stabilization, and even giving me feelings of calm.

However, I have been sick basically since I started it. I thought it was going to go away, but I have been hacking up phlegm, blowing my nose, and coughing non stop throughout the day. Tonight I noticed a cyst forming in my armpit that is painful and seems infected. I used to get those when I was a kid, and is a great sign to me that my immune system is suppressed.”

“My take away from Cascara is that it is good for short periods of time in correcting things, but from the studies I read, it can definitely harm the immune system cells. Maybe someone without "immune issues," would have an easier time.” @Tarmander

“Anyone notice this with Cascarra Sagrada?

You can build up a tolerance to any stimulant including cascara. If you are taking high enough doses expressly to simulate your bowl movements building up a tolerance is nearly inevitable in most people. There are a few that never develop tolerance but this is the exception, not the norm. I'm not a Ray Peat expert, but my suggestion is if you need to improve your bowel movements cascara should only be a part of a more comprehensive bowel program. You can look up my suggestions about Cascara under merchants > Health Natura > Cascara.”

“Hey everyone. Now I know Ray Peat has recommended cascara. But I have read multiple sources stating it is toxic to the liver and can cause hepatitis, liver injury and portal hypertension. Anthracene glycoside is named as one of the wrongdoers.

How does this sit with the rest of you, and are these claims true?

Is cascara toxic?”

koky

“I have been messing around with cascara for the last couple weeks. It has been great for inflammation, getting rid of restless legs, obviously helping transit time, blood sugar stabilization, and even giving me feelings of calm.

However, I have been sick basically since I started it. I thought it was going to go away, but I have been hacking up phlegm, blowing my nose, and coughing non stop throughout the day. Tonight I noticed a cyst forming in my armpit that is painful and seems infected. I used to get those when I was a kid, and is a great sign to me that my immune system is suppressed.”

“My take away from Cascara is that it is good for short periods of time in correcting things, but from the studies I read, it can definitely harm the immune system cells. Maybe someone without "immune issues," would have an easier time.” @Tarmander

“Anyone notice this with Cascarra Sagrada?

You can build up a tolerance to any stimulant including cascara. If you are taking high enough doses expressly to simulate your bowl movements building up a tolerance is nearly inevitable in most people. There are a few that never develop tolerance but this is the exception, not the norm. I'm not a Ray Peat expert, but my suggestion is if you need to improve your bowel movements cascara should only be a part of a more comprehensive bowel program. You can look up my suggestions about Cascara under merchants > Health Natura > Cascara.”

“Hey everyone. Now I know Ray Peat has recommended cascara. But I have read multiple sources stating it is toxic to the liver and can cause hepatitis, liver injury and portal hypertension. Anthracene glycoside is named as one of the wrongdoers.

How does this sit with the rest of you, and are these claims true?

Is cascara toxic?”

me: Do you see any problem with daily use of cascara?
ray: No, it has many protective effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals