Does anyone have Paul Jaminet's book? [fatty acids essential?]

J

j.

On an interview (link), he claims that his book talks about the supposed proof that some fatty acids are essential.

is Ray Peat correct to assert that unsaturated fatty acids are not essential? And you can find the information about that on Ray Peat’s site.

Paul: Yeah I don’t think he’s correct as a biological matter but as a practical matter he might as well be correct because the amount of polyunsaturated fats that you need is extremely low, if they’re well balanced then .5% of energy is enough. If they’re unbalanced you might need 1% of energy. And so that’s as far as developing any kind of pathology. In our book we discuss how difficult it was to prove that there was any human need for any of these omega-6 or omega-3 fats, and they didn’t actually prove it until they put these infants on skim milk diets which had no fat at all. It turned out that the infants would do okay if they had skim milk and lard, but not okay if they had skim milk only. Ray argues that the symptoms of an omega-6 deficiency are very similar to symptoms of a vitamin B6 deficiency and the diets that were deficient in fat were also B6 deficient and that could be the explanation. I don’t think that’s a likely explanation if the problem was cured by lard which doesn’t have B6 so far as I know. But like I said as a practical matter almost every food you buy in the supermarket is in the neighborhood of, every meat has at least 3% polyunsaturated fats, every oil has about that much. It’s basically if you’re eating real food, actual things that used to be plants and animals then it’s impossible to develop any of these polyunsaturated fat deficiency conditions. So as a practical matter he’s right, you shouldn’t think that the fact that some are called essential and some aren’t is meaningful in any way, it’s not. It doesn’t tell you anything about whether you should try to eat more of them or less of them.

In case anyone has the book, could you transcribe or mention a bit about the supposed proof, especially what he means when he says the babies would "do okay" and "not okay".

cliff

Re: Does anyone have Paul Jaminet's book?

He tried to scam the ray peat fan group to buy his book to read that passage but after some prodding I got him to post it lol

His quote right there is basically his smoking gun. He doesn't understand that O6 in lard lowers metabolism decreasing the need for nutrients.

J

j.

cliff said:
He tried to scam the ray peat fan group to buy his book to read that passage but after some prodding I got him to post it lol

His quote right there is basically his smoking gun. He doesn't understand that O6 in lard lowers metabolism decreasing the need for nutrients.

When I was reading it, I was wondering if he made the idiotic mistake of saying that "doing bad" was having increased mead acid levels. I could see some PUFA advocates argue that, even though that strategy clearly already assumes what they're trying to prove.

gretchen

If I understand correctly, the PH crowd, like primal, does not restrict PUFA much, and allows/advises some starchy carbs daily. You can look at their skin and see it doesn't work, but they seem like nice people........ *sorry if that is mean*.......:------(

I wish everyone would stop talking about skin as if it's the epitome of good health.

kettlebell

GamestopDorito said:
I wish everyone would stop talking about skin as if it's the epitome of good health.

I think people refer to it often as it is a clear useful indicator of metabolic problems. In other words, if you have skin issues you will have underlying metabolic issues and if you skin is in good condition, that doesn't mean you are healthy.

The negative is a clear indicator and the positive doesn't necessarily indicate anything.

No one here is saying its the epitome of good health.

key

kettlebell said:
GamestopDorito said:

I think people refer to it often as it is a clear useful indicator of metabolic problems. In other words, if you have skin issues you will have underlying metabolic issues and if you skin is in good condition, that doesn't mean you are healthy.

The negative is a clear indicator and the positive doesn't necessarily indicate anything.

No one here is saying its the epitome of good health.

Also if someone has good skin without using 'skin products', they are probably pretty healthy.