Matt Blackburn going keto and "ditching ray peat"

hamed1998

Anyone who has followed blackburn for some time have any thoughts on what hes doing recently?

I could give less a ***t that hes gone keto, but what really pisses me off is how he says he ditched ray peats stuff, like what? when did you ******* do that?? he rips on ray peat most of the time on his podcast, the only thing he has taken from Ray is having mostly carbs as his macros.

His basis on why he went to keto is because his blood sugar lvls were high and apparently he was pre-diabetic (never shared the test so im not sure, or i didnt see it), and compared how he was eating to what is currently in the world health recommendations for food. Youre probably thinking, do you eat in accordance with ray peats work, or with world health then?

I could be wrong but I think its false that he went to keto due to his high blood sugar, or innocently testing it out, I think he just wanted to maintain the activity by doing something thats against what most health influencers in his field say, which outside of religious context, you can't fault him for. We're all out here working for a paycheque

What really annoys me is how he swears by everything he does in the moment he does it too. Before keto he used to say that whatever he was doing (not ******* ray peats stuff thats for sure) was the absolute best and how he felt amazing and nothing was wrong and how everyone else is a moron for not doing it, ripping on things like nut milks and keto/carb restriction, and making fun of keto people for not being able to sleep due to high stress. Now he drinks almond milk and restricts even raw goat milk because it has too much carbs.

He also tried telling people that having good water is the absolute most important thing, even trumping food, like you could eat mcdickies burgers all day but as long as you had filtered water youd be fine. He could be right on that, but i just feel like given food is a portion of water, it doesnt matter as much as having high quality foods.

I hate how we wanted a scape goat of some sort to blame for all his problems so he just used ray peat as that, despite him barely sticking to rays work. But then again if this is all to increase the traffic around his mitolife supplement brand then i guess i cant blame him, even though i hate it.

What are your thoughts? im barely around anyone in my life who lives like me so I really wanted to hear what others have to say about it

LadyRae

I didn't realize he'd "gone keto". His latest podcast with Josh Rubin regarding minerals was terrific, I thought. And I'm halfway through his newest podcast with Adam Bergstrom, who can be a little woo-woo sometimes, but still quite interesting.

Like most people, I think Matt is searching for.... something... Maybe health genres are like a spiritual quest for him. He's trying to fill an emptiness.

Anyway, I have compassion for him, and I've learned some good points from him regarding coffee and minerals. Never bought his $$$$ supps tho.

OP
H

hamed1998

I didn't realize he'd "gone keto". His latest podcast with Josh Rubin regarding minerals was terrific, I thought. And I'm halfway through his newest podcast with Adam Bergstrom, who can be a little woo-woo sometimes, but still quite interesting.

Like most people, I think Matt is searching for.... something... Maybe health genres are like a spiritual quest for him. He's trying to fill an emptiness.

Anyway, I have compassion for him, and I've learned some good points from him regarding coffee and minerals. Never bought his $$$$ supps tho.
I probably should have prefaced this with that some of the guests he brings on are great and ive learned a lot. The rubin one was pretty good. He also used to put out some pretty good info and ive learned a good deal of stuff from him especially relating to things like dirty electricity and using organic materials for things like bedding and clothes.

That could be the case with him filling an emptiness, given his job is essentially cracking this code. Hes also dedicated a pretty large amount to it wiht the fact he has a farm and goats and stuff. Cares so much about his supplements he gets them exported from Russia where he has to pay premium tax due to embargoes.

exile

I’m not familiar with this guy, but he writes on a recent Instagram post “Installing a continuous glucose monitor on my arm was one of the best decisions I ever made to take back control of my health. You aren’t trying to erase spikes, but they’re not supposed to be super high like mine were - over 30 mg/dl.”

Does a post meal spike of over 30 even matter if you’re under 180? I’ve never seen anywhere saying it mattered.

Waynish

He's a twig who lives in a place where you need to be much more robust, especially if you're working on the land as he supposedly does. Trying to have low body fat like a teenage girl on instagram in order to get nutrition clients must be a living hell.

RealNeat

I don't know why anyone pays attention to that guy, he has nothing unique to offer. You'd be better off just spending your time on this forum.

Everything he has said and done has been covered a billion times by other people and in a much better and thorough way.

He just has a way of marketing it that makes people feel like they are in some secret club.

He's just a hype boy who needs $

John mcclain

Never heard of him...ray peat for me has made me think for myself and experiment.food wise I'm high fat carnivore now as the typical foods that many eat here dont work for me...

Peatful

What are your thoughts? im barely around anyone in my life who lives like me so I really wanted to hear what others have to say about it
Good riddance?

Bye Matt.

Limon9

I don't know much about Matt Blackburn. Isn't he one of the people responsible for roaming social-media cod liver oil gangs?

orangebear

I’ve heard Matt’s name a lot but never consumed his content. Type II diabetes results from a damaged metabolism and low carb is a bandaid that can make one feel better temporarily, but it can also contribute further to damaging the metabolism. Or perhaps something one eats on their low carb diet can contribute. Hell, something one eats on a high carb diet can contribute as well. That’s the frustrating part that many people miss. I believe Ray Peat is right about carbs being our primary fuel but the foods he ate don’t work for everyone, and supplementing thyroid is another bandaid (not always a bad thing but still) that doesn’t work for everyone in perpetuity. When one comes up against a situation where they can’t repair their metabolism using Ray’s methods, they may get frustrated and reject everything he said, but the real value of Ray’s ideas is his insistence on thinking for oneself. One may not find the exact solution for the precise thing blocking their metabolism in Ray’s suggestions and that’s OK because Ray could not have been aware of every single person’s exact situation, but the overall goal is still to find the block and remove it. It sounds like Matt missed this.

LadyRae

I’ve heard Matt’s name a lot but never consumed his content. Type II diabetes results from a damaged metabolism and low carb is a bandaid that can make one feel better temporarily, but it can also contribute further to damaging the metabolism. Or perhaps something one eats on their low carb diet can contribute. Hell, something one eats on a high carb diet can contribute as well. That’s the frustrating part that many people miss. I believe Ray Peat is right about carbs being our primary fuel but the foods he ate don’t work for everyone, and supplementing thyroid is another bandaid (not always a bad thing but still) that doesn’t work for everyone in perpetuity. When one comes up against a situation where they can’t repair their metabolism using Ray’s methods, they may get frustrated and reject everything he said, but the real value of Ray’s ideas is his insistence on thinking for oneself. One may not find the exact solution for the precise thing blocking their metabolism in Ray’s suggestions and that’s OK because Ray could not have been aware of every single person’s exact situation, but the overall goal is still to find the block and remove it. It sounds like Matt missed this.
This is SO true! I think one has to read and digest much here to understand the nuance...

Jessie

I never knew Matt was into Peat's work the first place. I saw one episode by him, just one. It was the Robbins interview and they only briefly mentioned Peat, something about getting enough sunlight if I recall correctly.

There's a lot of people who exist on the edges or peripherals to Peat's ideas. Like Christopher Walker. But most of them are just using it as a platform to sound knowledgable so they can sell books or dicey supplements.

I would say Tim Berzins falls in this category too, and I actually like that guy. The one plus about him though is he's not pushing supplements or books, but I do think he did consultations with people once upon a time. He hasn't made any new content recently though, kinda just disappeared.

Jonk

💯💯💯

RPDiciple

He has no clue on what he is doing and he has never had. People following him for advice is crazy. He is just as clueless

area51puy

Forum Supporter
I think keto can have some benefits shot term. But long term it is damaging to the body.

And we live in a swamp of PUFAs so people who had life of PUFAs consumption that damaged glucose metabolism benefit from keto and blood sugar in the short term, but are only making the problem worse in the long run.

They key is to deplete PUFAs store and try to use supplements combined with quality food to restore glucose metabolism. I think just using ray peats diet after years of PUFAs consumption and depending on how bad your metabolism is will depend on the success you have with it.

Peat was right because he was able to research before we start living with swamp of PUFAs in our food.

So I think just drink , milk, orange juice and carrot salad and all your health problems will go away isn’t the only advice that will work today with a lot of people because you also have to repair glucose metabolism, and how bad that is will very from person to person, age, health and who knows what chemicals people have ingested over the years.

And if you dive deep into peats work you can find a lot of the answers , but truthfully most people won’t dive that deep and just want to know a step by step way of what foods and what supplements to take. But everybody is different in what their needs are. So there isn’t a one size fits all approach.

The human body is complicated and is changing from second to second and your environment is changing second to second.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’m more concerned that it’s being presented as ditching Peat (to get attention). Peat said keto is stressful long term but I don’t think a person has to be considered ditching Peat if they do keto at times according to their situation. I’m not advocating keto but it doesn’t have to be black and white either. Peat wasn’t the type of person to judge or dismiss someone but would tactfully and humbly present the science. I’m not really interested in listening to anyone who doesn’t follow that same respectful approach. If he’s ditching Peat he never understood Peat to begin with in my opinion.

Warrior

Keto whilst avoiding PUFA trims an already limited range of food options.

Short term Keto is very good though, even if you only take the changes in perception into account as you body feels different as do your thought processes.

No idea who this guy in the thread is nor why so many members are antsy about this. What he eat doesn't make you ish.

Do you and keep it moving.

Georgi posted a study showing that only 4% of people who are "pre diabetic" ever become "diabetic." It's a scam.