What Ray Said

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Have you got a thread on your dietary changes Charlie? I'm going to try this out
I have not made one yet but I do plan to in the future. In the meantime here is a food list thread to help get started:

ddjd

I have not made one yet but I do plan to in the future. In the meantime here is a food list thread to help get started:

Thanks would be interesting to have a list of the supplements he likes also. Watching a video now he is keen on activated charcoal

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks would be interesting to have a list of the supplements he likes also. Watching a video now he is keen on activated charcoal
I plan on doing all of this soon as I can.

Lucy O

All that I can say about that Lucy is that I dropped all of my supplements and upped the value of my food choices, and my body does the figuring it out now. The second thing that was a big game changer, was getting fluoride out of my water, as well as not drinking so much straight water, which flushes nutrients out of the body before the body can utilize them. I use to strive to drink those 8 glasses a day and what a mistake. Thirdly fixing my sleep was big. I also find that grounding outside makes a difference in my day too.
Thank you I do most of the things you mentioned. I have not stopped my D supplements, but I do the rest of what you said. I will figure it out.

Thank you I do most of the things you mentioned. I have not stopped my D supplements, but I do the rest of what you said. I will figure it out.
Did you see some of my recent posts on vitamin D in my supplements thread linked below? There are many posts on it starting on page 26 and the several pages that follow…

P

Peatress

Dr. Peat on eating liver and vitamin A

“So I usually advocate eating a high, naturally rich in vitamin diet, and eggs and liver are probably the richest sources of all of the essential nutrients for liver function. But if you eat too much liver, it can act like too much muscle meat and suppress your thyroid. Too much carotene or vitamin A can also suppress your thyroid. So I recommend lots of liver and eggs in the diet, but only if you are balancing with the right amount of thyroid function.” Ray Peat

“A low thyroid person can get symptoms of Vitamin A poisoning from just a very small amount like 5000 units.” Dr. Ray Peat (email exchange posted on the forum)

Nick

“So I usually advocate eating a high, naturally rich in vitamin diet, and eggs and liver are probably the richest sources of all of the essential nutrients for liver function. But if you eat too much liver, it can act like too much muscle meat and suppress your thyroid. Too much carotene or vitamin A can also suppress your thyroid. So I recommend lots of liver and eggs in the diet, but only if you are balancing with the right amount of thyroid function.” Ray Peat

“A low thyroid person can get symptoms of Vitamin A poisoning from just a very small amount like 5000 units.” Dr. Ray Peat (email exchange posted on the forum)
It is crazy that he thought 5000IU to be a very small amount.

InChristAlone

Is there any proof high thyroid function is able to protect us from fat soluble vitamins and toxins? We all took what he said as gospel without checking the literature that thyroid could protect us from the harms of carotene, liver, and retinyl palmitate.

P

Peatress

Is there any proof high thyroid function is able to protect us from fat soluble vitamins and toxins? We all took what he said as gospel without checking the literature that thyroid could protect us from the harms of carotene, liver, and retinyl palmitate.
I didn't delve deep into the literature until around 2020. Like many others I made mistakes but I accept those mistakes to be my own not Dr Peat's. I can't answer your question because I don't have a high thyroid function but I do know that eating liver drops my temperature. I know this because in 2022 when I was running a very high temperature during an acute illness, I ate liver and my temperature came down.

Dr. Peat has always been consistent on avoiding carotene

“I avoid carotene, because it blocks thyroid and steroid production, and very large, excessive, amounts of vitamin A, retinol, can do the same.”

InChristAlone

I didn't delve deep into the literature until around 2020. Like many others I made mistakes but I accept those mistakes to be my own not Dr Peat's. I can't answer your question because I don't have a high thyroid function but I do know that eating liver drops my temperature. I know this because in 2022 when I was running a very high temperature during an acute illness, I ate liver and my temperature came down.
Yes actually when I developed high temps and pulses 98.8 upon waking, eating liver brought it down a bit. I was NOT hyperthyroid though based on labs.

P

Peatress

Yes actually when I developed high temps and pulses 98.8 upon waking, eating liver brought it down a bit. I was NOT hyperthyroid though based on labs.
I have some sympathy with people who started "peating" years ago. The resources that we have access to now were not around in 2012 for instance.

Nick

I was thinking about this more and I think that part of why Ray missed the mark, in my opinion, on the amount of safe vitamin A intake, is due to his focus on the immediate thyroid suppression or immediate acute poisoning symptoms to gauge what is too much retinol. But a person with a healthy liver and thyroid and adequate protein intake can quickly store away a large excess intake of retinol into the liver and then develop problems later either because the liver is getting too full, slow development of cholestasis, or due to more acute liver injury and what Anthony Mawson calls the retinoid cascade, which can be caused by any number of toxins or stressors that are seemingly unrelated to retinoids but they unleash the liver's excess retinoid store in an uncontrolled manner, unbound to retinol binding protein.

Lucy O

Did you see some of my recent posts on vitamin D in my supplements thread linked below? There are many posts on it starting on page 26 and the several pages that follow…

No I have not. I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding D, however when I don't take it, my D levels drop.

OP
G

Gawdawg

Chris Masterjohn suggests 3000-5000 IU of Vitamin A daily from food is beneficial. Any amount above 5000 IU he recommends increasing vitamin D, vitamin E, and vitamin K.

P

Peatress

Chris Masterjohn suggests 3000-5000 IU of Vitamin A daily from food is beneficial. Any amount above 5000 IU he recommends increasing vitamin D, vitamin E, and vitamin K.
Sounds similar to what Ray said. Milk and eggs should cover vitamin A requirements for low thyroid people
I was thinking about this more and I think that part of why Ray missed the mark, in my opinion, on the amount of safe vitamin A intake, is due to his focus on the immediate thyroid suppression or immediate acute poisoning symptoms to gauge what is too much retinol. But a person with a healthy liver and thyroid and adequate protein intake can quickly store away a large excess intake of retinol into the liver and then develop problems later either because the liver is getting too full, slow development of cholestasis, or due to more acute liver injury and what Anthony Mawson calls the retinoid cascade, which can be caused by any number of toxins or stressors that are seemingly unrelated to retinoids but they unleash the liver's excess retinoid store in an uncontrolled manner, unbound to retinol binding protein.
We could go round and round in circles about this. A low thyroid people eating liver and supplementing A will accumulate (poison themselves). A high thyroid person is not likely to accumulate A if they are being reasonable about dosing. D and E are definitely warranted but I think sunlight is even more useful. I don't know about other places but here the sun is deliberately being blocked. Whatever they are spraying is poisoning us and blocking sunlight.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
We could go round and round in circles about this. A low thyroid people eating liver and supplementing A will accumulate (poison themselves). A high thyroid person is not likely to accumulate A if they are being reasonable about dosing. D and E are definitely warranted but I think sunlight is even more useful. I don't know about other places but here the sun is deliberately being blocked. Whatever they are spraying is poisoning us and blocking sunlight.
I was very high thyroid for many years, much of the time my temp was in the 99's and I was a steaming furnace. And yet here I am vA and copper toxic to the max but finally finding relief by fixing the liver and taking much less thyroid then before.

I was very high thyroid for many years, much of the time my temp was in the 99's and I was a steaming furnace. And yet here I am vA and copper toxic to the max but finally finding relief by fixing the liver and taking much less thyroid then before.
How much liver, oysters and eggs had you been eating then Charlie?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
How much liver, oysters and eggs had you been eating then Charlie?
A couple ounces of liver a couple times a week. Couple eggs a day, oysters were more hit and miss, chocolate was my thing because it helped with digestion a lot at the time so at least a couple squares a day.

P

Peatress

Ok. Being high thyroid would mean you would convert your cholesterol to steroid hormone but yours was remaining high. Do you think it was because you were supplementing A at the same time as food sources of A?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals