Rapid gastric empying; need advice

Ralan

I'm interested in following Ray Peat's dietary suggestions, but I will have to tailor them in order to make them work. I have rapid gastric emptying caused by a gastric surgery I had back in 1988. I'm not able to consume any fluids that are high in sugar, and I can't drink anything on top of a carb heavy meal. If I do the sugar will flood into my system and leave me nauseated to the point that I have to lie down and be perfectly still for about half an hour. After that my blood sugar drops rapidly due to the excessive amount of insulin that is released as a result. This means that I can't drink OJ or milk, plus I'm casein sensitive, which rules out all dairy.

How can I follow Peat's suggestions without dairy and still get enough calories? I'm already skinny, and I've tried the paleo diet only to end up losing weight. Meat and fat don't help me gain weight at all. Do I just need to eat a ton of fruit? Dates seem to be the only "Peat allowed" high calorie fruit, but they don't have much to offer nutritionally.

I'm also wondering about Peat's generalization of PUFA's. From everything I have read PUFA's are necessary for many functions in the human body. Wouldn't the PUFA's in raw nuts be healthy? Most nuts contain vitamin E which seems to offset any negative effects of n-6. Doesn't the PUFA in meat and seafood oxidize when it's cooked?

Lastly, Peat's suggestions seem to defy nature in some ways. Greens are high in calcium, but Peat says they are toxic. How would early humans have gotten calcium before learning to milk animals, or discovering bone broth? It seems more logical to me that we should be getting calcium from plants, or possibly insects.

Thanks.

nwo2012

Ralan said:
I'm interested in following Ray Peat's dietary suggestions, but I will have to tailor them in order to make them work. I have rapid gastric emptying caused by a gastric surgery I had back in 1988. I'm not able to consume any fluids that are high in sugar, and I can't drink anything on top of a carb heavy meal. If I do the sugar will flood into my system and leave me nauseated to the point that I have to lie down and be perfectly still for about half an hour. After that my blood sugar drops rapidly due to the excessive amount of insulin that is released as a result. This means that I can't drink OJ or milk, plus I'm casein sensitive, which rules out all dairy.

How can I follow Peat's suggestions without dairy and still get enough calories? I'm already skinny, and I've tried the paleo diet only to end up losing weight. Meat and fat don't help me gain weight at all. Do I just need to eat a ton of fruit? Dates seem to be the only "Peat allowed" high calorie fruit, but they don't have much to offer nutritionally.

I'm also wondering about Peat's generalization of PUFA's. From everything I have read PUFA's are necessary for many functions in the human body. Wouldn't the PUFA's in raw nuts be healthy? Most nuts contain vitamin E which seems to offset any negative effects of n-6. Doesn't the PUFA in meat and seafood oxidize when it's cooked?

Lastly, Peat's suggestions seem to defy nature in some ways. Greens are high in calcium, but Peat says they are toxic. How would early humans have gotten calcium before learning to milk animals, or discovering bone broth? It seems more logical to me that we should be getting calcium from plants, or possibly insects.

Thanks.

Peat doesnt say greens are toxic, he explains that hye do tend to have many toxins in them and there are better (more optimal) ways to get calcium. Can you tolerate cheese? Yes eggshell calcium is good. But yes Peat has told me that if one were to select greens with a favourable calcium to phosphorous ratio then it is also a good way to get nutrients.
If PUFA are needed, then it's in tiny amounts and even when minimizing them we get enough from meat, eggs, milk etc.
Rats fed a PUFA deficient diet needed extra nutrients due to their faster metabolism but did not die of a PUFA deficiency as is commonly thought.
Did you have some sort of gastric bypass? Perhaps using the drug loperamide (delays gastric emptying) after such troublesome meals would help?
If dates are tolerable then thats fine as you can get all your needed nutrients elsehwhere.

OP
R

Ralan

nwo2012 said:
Ralan said:

Thanks.

Peat doesnt say greens are toxic, he explains that hye do tend to have many toxins in them and there are better (more optimal) ways to get calcium. Can you tolerate cheese? Yes eggshell calcium is good. But yes Peat has told me that if one were to select greens with a favourable calcium to phosphorous ratio then it is also a good way to get nutrients.
If PUFA are needed, then it's in tiny amounts and even when minimizing them we get enough from meat, eggs, milk etc.
Rats fed a PUFA deficient diet needed extra nutrients due to their faster metabolism but did not die of a PUFA deficiency as is commonly thought.
Did you have some sort of gastric bypass? Perhaps using the drug loperamide (delays gastric emptying) after such troublesome meals would help?
If dates are tolerable then thats fine as you can get all your needed nutrients elsehwhere.

I do better with cheese than I do with milk, but it still gives me symptoms. I would need to eat more meat and fish than RP suggests in order to get enough protein. Calcium is easy enough to supplement; but I wonder if insects would be a more optimal way of obtaining calcium and protein than drinking milk; their exoskeletons are full of the former.

The surgery I had was actually to remove part of my pancreas. It had grown too large and became wrapped around my intestines. I would rather not take any medications, but I appreciate the suggestion.

nwo2012

Ralan said:
nwo2012 said:
Ralan said:

Thanks.

I do better with cheese than I do with milk, but it still gives me symptoms. I would need to eat more meat and fish than RP suggests in order to get enough protein. Calcium is easy enough to supplement; but I wonder if insects would be a more optimal way of obtaining calcium and protein than drinking milk; their exoskeletons are full of the former.

The surgery I had was actually to remove part of my pancreas. It had grown too large and became wrapped around my intestines. I would rather not take any medications, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Was it the head of the Pancreas?
Im sure insects are a good source, what ones were you thinking of consuming?

OP
R

Ralan

nwo2012 said:
Ralan said:
nwo2012 said:
Ralan said:

Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Was it the head of the Pancreas?
Im sure insects are a good source, what ones were you thinking of consuming?

I was a kid when that happened, so I'm not sure what part of my pancreas it was.

There aren't many edible insects being offered in the U.S. as of now, but crickets seem like they would be okay. I think it would be necessary to find out what they are being fed; I assume that grain fed insects would have the same fat profile as grain fed mammals and fish.

pboy

Sorry to update an old thread

Has anyone tried sardines for calcium? (I think its from the tiny bones in the fish, just wondering if they are noticeable when
you eat the fish and/or if they can irritate the gut). Also any info from Peat on sardines/anchovies? Im not sure if they are high in PUFA or not.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals