Meatless for Lent

bookshelf

Let me start by saying, I love animals, they're delicious.

Now that that's established, there are days throughout the year (luring Great and Holy Lent, for example) where I voluntarily don't eat meat (and sometimes dairy/eggs) on certain days. By removing those key components to the diet, it is easy to default to less than ideal substitutes or not eat at all (that never turns out well); carbs and vegetable intake goes up, along with stress and wacky blood sugar. With that in mind, I am looking for suggestions for meatless and/or non-dairy meals and snacks that are complementary to the "peating" school of thought that can allow me to continue my personal spiritual practices but not adversely affect my health.

To qualify this, this adds up to a finite amount of days/meals throughout any given year. I am neither vegetarian nor vegan (or any other ...an). I just try to eat healthy and live a thoughtful life. Your suggestions would be appreciated!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Let me start by saying, I love animals, they're delicious.

Now that that's established, there are days throughout the year (luring Great and Holy Lent, for example) where I voluntarily don't eat meat (and sometimes dairy/eggs) on certain days. By removing those key components to the diet, it is easy to default to less than ideal substitutes or not eat at all (that never turns out well); carbs and vegetable intake goes up, along with stress and wacky blood sugar. With that in mind, I am looking for suggestions for meatless and/or non-dairy meals and snacks that are complementary to the "peating" school of thought that can allow me to continue my personal spiritual practices but not adversely affect my health.

To qualify this, this adds up to a finite amount of days/meals throughout any given year. I am neither vegetarian nor vegan (or any other ...an). I just try to eat healthy and live a thoughtful life. Your suggestions would be appreciated!
Are crustaceans/shellfish allowed during lent on your spiritual path?

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Yes, they are! Good one. :):

I am starting a list of any suggestions as, even if I have eaten them once upon a time, I might have forgotten about them or may see them in a different light as they are presented here. Thank you ;)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes, they are! Good one. :):

I am starting a list of any suggestions as, even if I have eaten them once upon a time, I might have forgotten about them or may see them in a different light as they are presented here. Thank you ;)
Awesome, I hope you get more suggestions! It’s harder I imagine if you don’t do well with or tend to avoid starch.

Dutchie

In light of the shellfish, are (white)fish and/or gelatin (it's technically not meat) allowed?

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Technically, gelatin isn't allowed as most is from an animal source. I do have a fish collagen that I use from time to time. The one I have doesn't blend as well as the beef, say, but it is good in a pinch.

Whitefish, any fish, really, is allowed. I do use coconut oil in place of my beloved butter (where otherwise, I go between the two).

I hope so, as well, Blossom. It is tricky, for sure. I am not anti-healthy carbs, it's just very limiting by the time undesirable carbs and gluten-free (forgot to mention that earlier) are an obstacle. I actually like veggies in general, fruit is great. I'm even trying to get my sourdough bread (w/ einkorn) up and running. While I am not a hard core 'peater, I do try to honor the principles and incorporate as much of the wisdom as I can since, for me, I have mostly positive results. This means, there are carbs/veggies/fruits that I avoid or only eat very occasionally, in moderation.

Thanks you both ~

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Technically, gelatin isn't allowed as most is from an animal source. I do have a fish collagen that I use from time to time. The one I have doesn't blend as well as the beef, say, but it is good in a pinch.

Whitefish, any fish, really, is allowed. I do use coconut oil in place of my beloved butter (where otherwise, I go between the two).

I hope so, as well, Blossom. It is tricky, for sure. I am not anti-healthy carbs, it's just very limiting by the time undesirable carbs and gluten-free (forgot to mention that earlier) are an obstacle. I actually like veggies in general, fruit is great. I'm even trying to get my sourdough bread (w/ einkorn) up and running. While I am not a hard core 'peater, I do try to honor the principles and incorporate as much of the wisdom as I can since, for me, I have mostly positive results. This means, there are carbs/veggies/fruits that I avoid or only eat very occasionally, in moderation.

Thanks you both ~
It’s ironic that you asked this today because I’ve been experimenting more with fasting myself (for spiritual reasons) recently. Each time I try I learn something new. I’ve decided I’m probably the world’s worst at fasting! :)
My friend who has the most horrible food intolerances I’ve ever come across got a blessing to fast from things besides food. I believe the only food she tolerates at the moment is quails eggs. I suppose depending on your spiritual path you could speak with someone about what could be done to honor the fast while still maintaining adequate nutrition.

MaxVerstappen

You can try something with mushrooms. Mushroom chips for a snack maybe, roasted mushrooms for your meals. Really good source of copper anyways

Also, you can try some magic mushrooms to see your God

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

It’s ironic that you asked this today because I’ve been experimenting more with fasting myself (for spiritual reasons) recently. Each time I try I learn something new. I’ve decided I’m probably the world’s worst at fasting! :)
My friend who has the most horrible food intolerances I’ve ever come across got a blessing to fast from things besides food. I believe the only food she tolerates at the moment is quails eggs. I suppose depending on your spiritual path you could speak with someone about what could be done to honor the fast while still maintaining adequate nutrition.
Fasting can be a very powerful spiritual weapon/tool. For as many years as I've done it in some form or another, I always have something positive to gain through the experience. And the results are sustained.

Dietary restrictions can make it so hard to fast because there is almost nothing left at times. It's also trickier the older I get...my body isn't as forgiving anymore so, I do find other ways to make sacrifices, but hold out hope that I will be able to participate in making offerings that involve refraining from particular foods without turning myself into a mess. I can certainly ask a spiritual advisor for guidance with non-food related fasts - good thought.

Your poor friend! Only quail eggs! I hope she is able to heal enough to eat a variety of foods and in a sufficient volume.

You can try something with mushrooms. Mushroom chips for a snack maybe, roasted mushrooms for your meals. Really good source of copper anyways

Also, you can try some magic mushrooms to see your God

Mushroom chips sound delicious! I'll have to look into how to make those. I certainly like mushrooms in any form - that would be a new one for me.

"Also, you can try some magic mushrooms to see your God" :ss That is one way to go about it, I guess!

Sugartits

The traditional teaching says that after 60 you no longer have to fast unless you want to. I don't know what the modern rules say, I don't follow the modern rules. I was told to just avoid muscle meat, but that eggs, gelatin, fish, broth, cheese and even gravy was fine, so I go by that. My all time favorite food is mushroom quiche, which is meatless, but eating my favorite food during Lent would pretty much be missing the point!

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

The traditional teaching says that after 60 you no longer have to fast unless you want to. I don't know what the modern rules say, I don't follow the modern rules. I was told to just avoid muscle meat, but that eggs, gelatin, fish, broth, cheese and even gravy was fine, so I go by that. My all time favorite food is mushroom quiche, which is meatless, but eating my favorite food during Lent would pretty much be missing the point!

So true! I have many foods that I (and many I know) have come to look forward to enjoying during lent. These staples have become delicious traditions. We've remarked the same before but consider it God's consolation for our efforts.

I forgot all about quiche as I had to step back from eggs for a good stretch. Since I am able to eat them again without issue and as our tradition (save for a few days) allows for eggs, I will add that to my list!

Anstel

Hi! As a traditional Catholic, I abstain from meat on all Fridays of the years as well as limiting my meat to once a day during lent. I eat tiliapia, shrimp, oysters, eggs, cheese, yogurt, potatoes as my protein foods. Adding in milk is good to up the protein as well as between meals. If you are avoiding gluten, then using rice, squash and potatoes are great side dishes to go with fish or shell fish. Potato soup topped with shredded cheese is filling. Hope this helps!

KTownSatfats

I’m kinda old but I was raised as a traditional catholic. So none of us ate meat ever on Fridays and for Lent and Advent we were supposed to sacrifice something that we liked. But we all could choose what it was. I guess it was logical for us children to give up candy, but we all declared what our choice was (within the family) and as far as I recall, it didn’t even have to be food we gave up. It could be a game or often watching tv or something like that. Just had to be something that we’d miss. It seemed like for us that was the main point, giving up something we’d miss. I don’t recall anyone being forced to give up meat at that time, except for Fridays of course.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Hi! As a traditional Catholic, I abstain from meat on all Fridays of the years as well as limiting my meat to once a day during lent. I eat tiliapia, shrimp, oysters, eggs, cheese, yogurt, potatoes as my protein foods. Adding in milk is good to up the protein as well as between meals. If you are avoiding gluten, then using rice, squash and potatoes are great side dishes to go with fish or shell fish. Potato soup topped with shredded cheese is filling. Hope this helps!
I am of an Eastern Christian background, found in the Orthodox churches (e.g.: Greek, Russian) and the Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church (e.g.: Maronite, Byzantine, Coptic). The customs during Great and Holy Lent vary between Rites, regions, ethnic influence, locales, and even villages/families. The particular guidelines (not forced, as participation is always voluntary) of my Faith recommend we abstain from meat and dairy products, including eggs (sometimes referred to in some vernaculars as a "black fast") on the first and last days of fasting seasons (Lent and "Advent", as it's known in the West; other specific feast/holy day fasts) and abstaining from meat on Wednesdays and Fridays. The remainder of the year we do not eat meat on most Fridays.

I’m kinda old but I was raised as a traditional catholic. So none of us ate meat ever on Fridays and for Lent and Advent we were supposed to sacrifice something that we liked. But we all could choose what it was. I guess it was logical for us children to give up candy, but we all declared what our choice was (within the family) and as far as I recall, it didn’t even have to be food we gave up. It could be a game or often watching tv or something like that. Just had to be something that we’d miss. It seemed like for us that was the main point, giving up something we’d miss. I don’t recall anyone being forced to give up meat at that time, except for Fridays of course.

As KTown mentioned, we, too, sacrifice something for the duration of the Easter and Christmas fasts and also take up something in its place. For instance, give up a favorite t.v. show, spend that time in prayer or extending charity to another. The whole idea of these periods is to deepen our spiritual life, break bad habits, and take on new, positive behaviors that benefit ourselves and others.

I like the food suggestions from Anstel (potato soup is a good one (hearty) for me to revisit now that I am able to tolerate raw dairy) and the inspiration by KTown's comments and Blossom's earlier remark that, with some spiritual insight/guidance, we can make other sacrifices that are still fruitful without regard to foods.

This discussion is very helpful in inspiring thoughtful ways to approach seasons of fasting without wracking the body, something I believe to be counter-productive both physically and spiritually.

Anyone have any recipes they'd like to share?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals