Peat dietary suggestions and digestive problems

Violet

I've had digestive problems for most of my adult life, vacillating between IBS-C and IBS-D. Before I began seriously implementing Ray Peats dietary suggestions I was constipated a lot... and now I have the exact opposite problem! :p

I'm eating dairy twice a day, and meat / shell fish / eggs once a day. Fruit with every meal. Four coffees with gelatine. That's it! OJ and milk bloat me, so I dont consume those.

I was wondering if RP recommends anything specifically for IBS / bloating etc? I tried the carrot salad, but I dont digest it properly.

Thanks for your help!

juanitacarlos

Hi Violet. I've had trouble for many years with bloating, loose stools, having 5-6 bowel movements a day etc. Also recently (just this year) I developed reflux/heartburn. I found that adding bone broth helped tremendously especially the reflux/heartburn. But what really turned things around was a course of antibiotics. I recently had a virus which resulted in an ear infection. I haven't taken antibiotics in over a decade, but had no choice really. After about 3 days into the course, my bowel movements were reduced to twice a day and I have much healthier, solid stools (sorry for the personal info!). This is over a month ago now. I also have the raw carrot regularly, and once a week I take activated charcoal. I found gelatin helped with some aches and pains, but the bone broth has been most beneficial for digestion.

As the carrot does not work for you, you could try the activated charcoal, or even bamboo shoots, but they taste like sh*t in my opinion.

It's a pity about the OJ too, as I think it's beneficial. Have you made sure it's fresh and thoroughly strained?

For the milk, are you just trying to drink just a small amount at meals, slowly increasing over time? Trying different brands?

gretchen

Cow's milk doesn't work for me either. I've had been luck with goat's.

I've given up the carrot salad the last 6 weeks or so but find I don't do well without it- just too much estrogen in my intestines I guess. Are you sure it really doesn't work?

mandance

It might not be your stomach, it could be that your pancreas is not producing enough enzymes anymore. If you have undigested food in the toilet then that is likely the issue. Inflammation can also cause issues.

OP
Violet

Violet

ttramone said:
Hi Violet. I've had trouble for many years with bloating, loose stools, having 5-6 bowel movements a day etc. Also recently (just this year) I developed reflux/heartburn. I found that adding bone broth helped tremendously especially the reflux/heartburn. But what really turned things around was a course of antibiotics. I recently had a virus which resulted in an ear infection. I haven't taken antibiotics in over a decade, but had no choice really. After about 3 days into the course, my bowel movements were reduced to twice a day and I have much healthier, solid stools (sorry for the personal info!). This is over a month ago now. I also have the raw carrot regularly, and once a week I take activated charcoal. I found gelatin helped with some aches and pains, but the bone broth has been most beneficial for digestion.

As the carrot does not work for you, you could try the activated charcoal, or even bamboo shoots, but they taste like sh*t in my opinion.

It's a pity about the OJ too, as I think it's beneficial. Have you made sure it's fresh and thoroughly strained?

For the milk, are you just trying to drink just a small amount at meals, slowly increasing over time? Trying different brands?

Thanks for the reply! What was the anti biotic, if you dont mind me asking?

I was researching activated characoal, but a few people advised me against it since I have a tendency to IBS-C as well as D.

I've been using loads of milk for years, but recently I realised that it's one of the things that bloats me. I just got a list of potential brands to try though - I'll see if I have better luck with these.

I actually read on this forum that Peat doesnt mind if you use concentrate OJ, so I got lazy about buying a quality brand. Maybe that's my problem. I really couldnt be bothered juicing myself :p This diet has made me incredibly lazy, haha :)

OP
Violet

Violet

gretchen said:
Cow's milk doesn't work for me either. I've had been luck with goat's.

I've given up the carrot salad the last 6 weeks or so but find I don't do well without it- just too much estrogen in my intestines I guess. Are you sure it really doesn't work?

I have oestrogen dominance, so I really should be eating the carrot salad, but I found it rough on my digestion. Although now my BMs are so frequent that I guess it cant get any worse! Maybe I'll try again...

OP
Violet

Violet

mandance said:
It might not be your stomach, it could be that your pancreas is not producing enough enzymes anymore. If you have undigested food in the toilet then that is likely the issue. Inflammation can also cause issues.

:shock: Eek. That sounds extreme! If it was a pancreatic issue, what would you recommend?

I had my CRP chekced and my inflammation is practically non-existent (>.05)

mandance

A lot of people take digestive enzyme supplements with food about 30 minutes before eating, to aid in digestion. Ive been having digestion problems for 3 months now. I noticed the powerful prescription enzymes worked well, but they are too expensive. Over the counter ones have been ineffective for me.

Dutchie

To aid in digestion in stomach,i always sip some lemon/limejuice before eating or some ACV.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
mandance said:
A lot of people take digestive enzyme supplements with food about 30 minutes before eating, to aid in digestion. Ive been having digestion problems for 3 months now. I noticed the powerful prescription enzymes worked well, but they are too expensive. Over the counter ones have been ineffective for me.

I have never seen Ray Peat once mention to take digestive enzymes. Digestion is related to metabolic rate, the better the metabolic rate the better the digestion.

mandance

Yeah peat does not recommend it. I am,just saying what has helped me. Now I focus more on trying to get carrots in. You can still have digestive problems, even if metabolism is good.

OP
Violet

Violet

Dutchie said:
To aid in digestion in stomach,i always sip some lemon/limejuice before eating or some ACV.

ACV bloats me :(

OP
Violet

Violet

Charlie said:
mandance said:

I have never seen Ray Peat once mention to take digestive enzymes. Digestion is related to metabolic rate, the better the metabolic rate the better the digestion.

Hey Charlie, Do you know what Peat does recommend for digestive problems? I know he says low starch, and low fibre.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I would think increasing metabolic rate along with finding out if any certain food is causing you issues would be a safe start. I had to do an elimination type diet when I first started Peating to find what worked for me. I now have a safe base I can always revert back to if needed.

mandance

Yeah, peat recommends carrot salads most of the time. But also what Charlie said. although id imagine...if you actually did have a pancreas problem...you would be extremely sick and in the hospital. Trying elliminating things....if you are taking antibotics also...they can cause problems with digestion.

juanitacarlos

Violet said:
Thanks for the reply! What was the anti biotic, if you dont mind me asking?

I was researching activated characoal, but a few people advised me against it since I have a tendency to IBS-C as well as D.

The antibiotic was just amoxicillin. Pretty standard for ear infections.

The activated charcoal works for me, seems to keep things in check, but I admit know what effect it would have on someone with IBS.

jaakkima

Hey Violet. I was wondering if things got better for you. I have similar issues - constantly on the toilet with loose stools. I have never managed to isolate any particular problem food. The issues lessen and even disappear sometimes only to come back with a vengeance, seemingly regardless of what I eat. I would be interested to hear if you made any leaps forward since this post.