No changes 3 years Peating

Cow

For what it's worth, OP, I am kind of in the same boat. I am 57, 5' 6" and was 135 pounds my entire adult life, but went up to 142 after menopause, and 152 after peating, which I have been doing for a couple years. For the last year or so I've tried higher calories, lower calories, higher fat, lower fat, higher protein, etc. The most my weight will move is a pound or two whether I am eating low fat or putting 5 TBL of heavy cream in my coffee (like I like it).

My labs are all normal, my temp is 98.6 and my doctor says I am perfectly healthy and that nature likes older ladies to carry a bit of fat. I hate that I can't get into my clothes and have visible squishy fat. At this point, I feel like I can make this a mission and try a bunch more ***t and see if I can get some of it off, or maybe I should just say who cares and enjoy my life. Maybe not ready to give up on it just yet.

I will say my TSH is 2.5 which I know everyone here will say I need thyroid. But like you, I feel like crap on thyroid meds. In general, I feel good every day with plenty of energy and good mood, and every time I try to take thyroid (and I've tried T3, T4, and Armour) I end up feeling bad and am like, "why am I doing this to myself!!"

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to say, you are not alone!

Chad_Catholic

For what it's worth, OP, I am kind of in the same boat. I am 57, 5' 6" and was 135 pounds my entire adult life, but went up to 142 after menopause, and 152 after peating, which I have been doing for a couple years. For the last year or so I've tried higher calories, lower calories, higher fat, lower fat, higher protein, etc. The most my weight will move is a pound or two whether I am eating low fat or putting 5 TBL of heavy cream in my coffee (like I like it).

My labs are all normal, my temp is 98.6 and my doctor says I am perfectly healthy and that nature likes older ladies to carry a bit of fat. I hate that I can't get into my clothes and have visible squishy fat. At this point, I feel like I can make this a mission and try a bunch more ***t and see if I can get some of it off, or maybe I should just say who cares and enjoy my life. Maybe not ready to give up on it just yet.

I will say my TSH is 2.5 which I know everyone here will say I need thyroid. But like you, I feel like crap on thyroid meds. In general, I feel good every day with plenty of energy and good mood, and every time I try to take thyroid (and I've tried T3, T4, and Armour) I end up feeling bad and am like, "why am I doing this to myself!!"

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to say, you are not alone!
Hormonal imbalance is common in women after pregnancy and menopause. Have you tried high doses of progesterone and pregnenolone?

Vileplume

What else do you eat with goats milk?
Ripe sweet fruit, coffee that digests well, eggs, and carrots.

Right now, that's frozen berries (Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries) from Costco and Peet's coffee.

Sapien

If you never measure, you will never know for sure what is going on. That's a common mistake. Eyeballing meals is not a good idea. It requires more than small amounts of fruit to get 50-60 grams of carbs. If you consume 25-30 grams of protein in each meal, 60 grams of carbs would be the minimum amount of carbs to balance your protein intake. Depending on your thyroid dose, you may need to increase your carbs even more. Based on your story, you are not eating enough carbs to metabolically support yourself. If you can't stabilize your temperature and pulse readings with these changes, there are some other things to consider. I am surprised that your health practitioners didn't warn you about these things. I would definitely ask for a refund.
Dude measuring food is OCD. But yes I agree that a small serving of fruit is not nearly enough carbs

Sapien

Ripe sweet fruit, coffee that digests well, eggs, and carrots.

Right now, that's frozen berries (Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries) from Costco and Peet's coffee.
Consider cutting out the eggs, pretty high in pufa. The micro nutrients can be gotten elsewhere

Also, do you make sure to eat the carrot salad the ray way suggests? Eating carrots normally has pretty much no benefit

aniciete

Consider cutting out the eggs, pretty high in pufa. The micro nutrients can be gotten elsewhere

Also, do you make sure to eat the carrot salad the ray way suggests? Eating carrots normally has pretty much no benefit
Good quality eggs are one of the most irreplaceable foods lol

frannybananny

I agree and an invaluable source of choline. The liver and brain need the most choline...liver to move everything through (can help reduce fatty liver) and brain to prevent dementia and Alzheimers.

Sapien

I agree and an invaluable source of choline. The liver and brain need the most choline...liver to move everything through (can help reduce fatty liver) and brain to prevent dementia and Alzheimers.
I eat liver which has a lot but yeah that’s a good point. The amount of pufa in eggs definitely is worth the micros, but my point was in someone struggling with weight it’s something to consider.

Ray said to keep pufa >4 g a day

Last edited:

Sapien

If you are eating eggs OP, make sure they are pasture raised as this is the lowest pufa you’ll find in supermarket. (“Cage free” is a marketing gimmick)

Note: even pasture raised eggs get supplemental feed high in omega 6.

Corn and soy free eggs are nearly impossible to find.

Dude measuring food is OCD. But yes I agree that a small serving of fruit is not nearly enough carbs
You are always measuring either with eyeballs or scales. I would rather use a more accurate one until my eyes learn what a certain amount of specific food contains nutritionally.

L

LiveLaughLove

decrease fat protein and salt, and eat more carbs. you will 100% lose weight.
Salt is classic pro metabolic nutrient of Ray’s research. He’d say simply eat to taste, no more no less.

He also says Salt and calcium keeps other minerals in the cell.

abady

Salt is classic pro metabolic nutrient of Ray’s research. He’d say simply eat to taste, no more no less.

He also says Salt and calcium keeps other minerals in the cell.
you can do 0% fat milk and get all the calcium and salt from just milk.. in my experience trusting my tongue with salt causes me to hold more water weight, you have to keep salt under 1000mg per day, 2 liters of milk give you approx 850mg of sodium and that really a good amount of salt and calcium it's all that you need.

every 400mg of sodium holds 4 cups of water inside the body.

L

LiveLaughLove

you can do 0% fat milk and get all the calcium and salt from just milk.. in my experience trusting my tongue with salt causes me to hold more water weight, you have to keep salt under 1000mg per day, 2 liters of milk give you approx 850mg of sodium and that really a good amount of salt and calcium it's all that you need.

every 400mg of sodium holds 4 cups of water inside the body.
If your personal deleterious health conditions say that that amount of salt is all you need, definitely don’t go suggesting it to others and expect good results long term.

Consider slowly increasing salt intake over the course of a month?

Interview begins 6 minutes in:

View: https://youtu.be/HOj56MCRaJk

Last edited by a moderator:

abady

If your personal deleterious health conditions say that that amount of salt is all you need, definitely don’t go suggesting it to others and expect good results long term.

Consider slowly increasing salt intake over the course of a month?

Interview begins 6 minutes in:

View: https://youtu.be/HOj56MCRaJk

yes i suggest it due to my experience, ray peat isn't Jesus or he got the word of god, not everything he says is 100% a fact, and don't link me his videos talking about salt and stuff i personally listen to all of his videos also the ones regarding salt being pro metabolic etc, not everything he says gonna work for everyone you must try and experiment yourself.

for example high carb vegans like freely she suggests a low sodium intake and she is so lean with lots of energy, i find her method of diet works so well for me, unlimited energy and i don't hold weight at all, i tried to salt the fk out of my food before after i listened to ray peat but man i gained so much weight its sad i wont do it again.

I am not suggesting a ZERO SALT DIET, no not at all, just be reasonable and i don't think trusting your tongue is a good idea. lots of ppl are obese now cause fast food is salty and tasty their tongue is craving tons of calories cause of the insane amount of added salt in fast foods.

also i tried every diet and the best diet for losing weight is high carb 80% with zero fat milk and yes i eat starches and fruits , starches arent that evil, ray peat says on one of his videos if you can tolerate them they are ok, i honestly prefer starches they wont make me feel hungry for longer. anyways talked a lot, sorry

have a lovely day :)

L

LiveLaughLove

yes i suggest it due to my experience, ray peat isn't Jesus or he got the word of god, not everything he says is 100% a fact, and don't link me his videos talking about salt and stuff i personally listen to all of his videos also the ones regarding salt being pro metabolic etc, not everything he says gonna work for everyone you must try and experiment yourself.

for example high carb vegans like freely she suggests a low sodium intake and she is so lean with lots of energy, i find her method of diet works so well for me, unlimited energy and i don't hold weight at all, i tried to salt the fk out of my food before after i listened to ray peat but man i gained so much weight its sad i wont do it again.

I am not suggesting a ZERO SALT DIET, no not at all, just be reasonable and i don't think trusting your tongue is a good idea. lots of ppl are obese now cause fast food is salty and tasty their tongue is craving tons of calories cause of the insane amount of added salt in fast foods.

also i tried every diet and the best diet for losing weight is high carb 80% with zero fat milk and yes i eat starches and fruits , starches arent that evil, ray peat says on one of his videos if you can tolerate them they are ok, i honestly prefer starches they wont make me feel hungry for longer. anyways talked a lot, sorry

have a lovely day :)
That is definitely a way to reduce water weight quickly. I know an MMA fighter who used salt restriction, fasting, and keto, to get shredded before competitions.

Whether or not being skinny is the end all be all of heath, is a different conversation.

When I was doing carnivore, I was convinced carbs were the devil because every time I ate some, I’d bloat up 10 lbs. well I finally reached the end of my rope and realized a low carb diet is toxic long term.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals