muscle twitching/parethesias

JohnS

I started having muscle twitching in my lower legs and feet, then numbness and tingling in my arms, hands, legs and feet last year this time. I’ve seen 2 Neurologist for this. I was diagnosed with Benign Fasciculation and parethesias after having an MRI, EMG and Nerve Conductivity test that all came back normal. I was relieved somewhat, but the twitching, numbness and tingling are continuing. Along with this I have very cold hands and feet mostly in the evening. I have no weakness or balance issues at all. Not sure if it has anything to do with it or not but this all started about 6 months of low carb/primal/paleo.

My doc. Says no, but I’m wondering if it’s a thyroid issue.
My latest test results. TSH 2.240, T4(free) 1.54, T3(free) 2.6.

I am no longer low carbing. I discovered Ray Peat/Matt Stone in January 13. So I’ve been trying to raise my metabolism, Peat/Stone style. When I started my morning temps were in the low 96’s. After almost 3 months now, It’s come up to 97.8/97.9 most mornings. I don’t check it every day. My morning pulse was in the 40’s but now is in the 50’s. I do generally feel warmer but still have all this going on. I’ve also gained around 10 to 12lbs eating this way, a lot of fat in my mid section.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or have any suggestions?

AlexH

When I was backpacking in Ecuador 3 years ago I did alot of ayahuasca (serotonin booster) a couple nights in a row and lived mostly of bananas (serotonin) and felt alot of the symptoms you are describing. Are you taking any gelatin? I believe it will eventually go away if you just stick to the diet

OP
J

JohnS

Yes, I do take gelatin usually 2 tablespoons a day.

OP
J

JohnS

I'd say I'm over 300 most days from oj, sugar, honey, fruit, dates, sweet potato, ice cream and raw carrot

HDD

I had numbness in both legs after eating paleo for about 3-4 months almost a year ago. I was diagnosed with MS in 1988 and had not had serious problems in 13 years. I found Ray Peat by "accident" googling MS and fat. He has articles on MS that really made sense. I then found Danny Roddy and Matt Stone and started everything I could to alleviate the numbness. Within a month, the numbness went away. I took a large amount of aspirin (built up to 9 a day), niacinimide, pregnenolone, Raw Thyroid, progesterone cream (because I had some on hand)and started consuming milk, oj, liver, oysters, gelatin. I have had only one day since of some noticeable pain/weakness and on that day my temps. were vey low. I have always thought twitching is magnesium related and that there is a balance between Vit. D, calcium, and magnesium. MS is stress related. I have over the years had a lot of stress but it seems that not having the sugar from following a paleo diet is what triggered my symptoms or possibly all the pufa from the excessive pork? Not sure if my experience could help you but I know the paleo diet contributed to my symptoms. Estrogen has been the main factor in bringing on numbness before for me which I didn't realize until reading Ray Peat's articles.

OP
J

JohnS

Thanks for sharing. It's great you were able to figure things out. Did you do this yourself or did you have any physicians guidance?

I don't have any pain or weakness, it's just annoying. I do still wonder if this is MS even though the MRI didn't show any signs of it. I had some major stress events a couple months before this started last year. The stress is still pretty high from that now in addition to worrying about myself all the time. My dr. has suggested SSRI's for this but I really don't want to go that route.

Do you still take the 9 aspirin a day? I've been taking 1 a day for about a week now but hesitant on increasing to quickly. I over did it a few years ago with ibupro. which caused major stomach upset and pain, so I don't want to experience that again. Also, in the last few months I've started to get constant ringing in my ears, and I've read that aspirin can cause this so I don't want to make it worse.

HDD

I have used diet for MS from the beginning as there was not any medicine used except steroids in 1988. It was my good fortune that a family member sent me a diet book. After my initial diagnosis, I did not go back to a doctor until I had another serious exacerbation 10 years later. At that time, the neurologist wanted me to use interferon drugs since it seemed to him I was getting worse. I declined and researched the Internet and followed a raw, vegan diet for a while using supplements. A friend sold Shaklee vitamins and she had a testimonial of a woman using large doses of vitamin e to heal her body. The next episode was a year ago. I had been in very early stages of pregnancy for the other major episodes. My husband had a vasectomy after the last one so this couldn't be a contributor.

This last episode led me to Peat and to my current belief about MS. Peat attributes it to low protein, hypothyroidism, estrogen and heme?(can't remember at the moment). I am still learning and trying to adjust diet and supplements.

I take 2-4 aspirin a day, dissolved in water, with OJ, coke, or food.

I am seeing progress. I have had insomnia for years but have started using Benadryl nightly and more recently increased Progest E at bedtime. I have had more sleep in the past month than I have had in years. Amazing! My temperatures used to drop after breakfast to 96.5 and it would take all day to get to 98. My temperature now gets to 98before lunch and 98.6 by afternoon.

Another thought on the Benadryl. Ray Peat says it can prevent MS. I would have to dig to find the exact place.

Sitting in sun has also been daily, when possible,for years. Vit D deficiency also factor in MS.

Sorry for such a long post.

HDD

John, if you read under "Signs and Symptoms that Respond to Progesterone" by Ray Peat, you might find a few of your symptoms. I found this in the supplement section at the site that sells Progest-e. I am not saying you should take progesterone, but this could be a clue for you.

aquaman

Haagendazendiane said:
I have had insomnia for years but have started using Benadryl nightly and more recently increased Progest E at bedtime. I have had more sleep in the past month than I have had in years. Amazing! My temperatures used to drop after breakfast to 96.5 and it would take all day to get to 98. My temperature now gets to 98before lunch and 98.6 by afternoon.

Old post, resurrecting. Not sure of your "profile" (age, gender etc), and why you decided to take Progest-E ?

Thanks

HDD

aquaman said:
Haagendazendiane said:
I have had insomnia for years but have started using Benadryl nightly and more recently increased Progest E at bedtime. I have had more sleep in the past month than I have had in years. Amazing! My temperatures used to drop after breakfast to 96.5 and it would take all day to get to 98. My temperature now gets to 98before lunch and 98.6 by afternoon.

Old post, resurrecting. Not sure of your "profile" (age, gender etc), and why you decided to take Progest-E ?

Thanks

Female, 56' post menopausal. Progesterone is one of the many things that Ray Peat lists that might improve MS. I started the Progest-E after following diet, taking aspirin, etc. for several months.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals