Starting thyroid to heal adrenals

OP
M

mgrabs

Ray peat says you will require some extra magnesium when starting thyroid supplementation
This is a real crappy feeling. Hard to explain. Twitching and spasms everywhere. Cant tell it its too high of a dose or too low.

aniciete

“When you first start taking thyroid again, your tissues will need some extra magnesium, during the time when the dose is increasing, and when the mineral balance is restored your temperature and metabolic rate might decrease a little.”

Jennifer

This is a real crappy feeling. Hard to explain. Twitching and spasms everywhere. Cant tell it its too high of a dose or too low.

Like aniciete mentioned, are you supplementing magnesium? Also, what is your dose, and do you take it with food?

OP
M

mgrabs

Like aniciete mentioned, are you supplementing magnesium? Also, what is your dose, and do you take it with food?
A grain. Cause anything lower i feel worse. I feel tired constipated and blah. But anything over a grain i feel better but theres these muscke twitches and finger twitches that come with it. Does this eventually go away if i just ride it out?

Jennifer

A grain. Cause anything lower i feel worse. I feel tired constipated and blah. But anything over a grain i feel better but theres these muscke twitches and finger twitches that come with it. Does this eventually go away if i just ride it out?

My mum experienced similar symptoms and they eventually went away, but I don’t know if that’s because she started supplementing with magnesium (mag bicarb water) and taking it with food.

OP
M

mgrabs

My mum experienced similar symptoms and they eventually went away, but I don’t know if that’s because she started supplementing with magnesium (mag bicarb water) and taking it with food.
What do you suggest? Ride this out? Cause i feel like the higher dose is needed for me. Im 6,4 200 lb male. I used to always be on a grain and about a year and a half ago i was on a grain and half and even more. But i stopped cold turkey for a year. Here i am trying to get back & when i started on a 1/4 grain i felt TERRIBLE! Once i bumped to a grain or even slightly over i started to feel better mentally BUT i have these twitches that are going on. Its freaking me out. Im sure the adrenals are connected but im trying to give my adrenals less need to work by giving it some more thyroid. Ugh i just want to feel better and i feel myself getting to that but this damn twitching is scary

Jennifer

What do you suggest? Ride this out? Cause i feel like the higher dose is needed for me. Im 6,4 200 lb male. I used to always be on a grain and about a year and a half ago i was on a grain and half and even more. But i stopped cold turkey for a year. Here i am trying to get back & when i started on a 1/4 grain i felt TERRIBLE! Once i bumped to a grain or even slightly over i started to feel better mentally BUT i have these twitches that are going on. It’s freaking me out. Im sure the adrenals are connected but im trying to give my adrenals less need to work by giving it some more thyroid. Ugh i just want to feel better and i feel myself getting to that but this damn twitching is scary

I understand. I’m sorry you’re struggling with this. How much magnesium are you currently supplementing with? It sounds like you may need more or a different form of it? It should also help relieve your constipation.

OP
M

mgrabs

I understand. I’m sorry you’re struggling with this. How much magnesium are you currently supplementing with? It sounds like you may need more or a different form of it? It should also help relieve your constipation.
I take about 4 of the designs for health magnesium. Which is 600mg daily! Also attached youll see my micornutrient blood test. One column is serum level which is blood. The other is WBC which is on the cellular level. You can see sodium and magnesium levels there. Which to me the magnesium seems fine? Or might need to be higher?

Attachments

• 1865A50E-87CC-43AA-9A2B-74206856C1F5.png
    1865A50E-87CC-43AA-9A2B-74206856C1F5.png
    180.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 24F45372-6E09-4E60-A252-BAC0F93DB0CB.jpeg
    24F45372-6E09-4E60-A252-BAC0F93DB0CB.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 18D07B4F-2B67-4EA9-8552-F1F2D2CF2EB7.jpeg
    18D07B4F-2B67-4EA9-8552-F1F2D2CF2EB7.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 12

GreekDemiGod

Sorry to break it to you, but taking exogenous thyroid will do nothing to heal your adrenals, if anything it will make it worse. How is pushing the gas pedal on the metabolism going to heal an unbalanced organism?
It’s the most over-rated health strategy on this forum.

OP
M

mgrabs

Sorry to break it to you, but taking exogenous thyroid will do nothing to heal your adrenals, if anything it will make it worse. How is pushing the gas pedal on the metabolism going to heal an unbalanced organism?
Beg to differ. When the adrenals are stressed your thyroid is down as well. Supplementing thyroid will help aid in recovery, sleep, energy. Just needs to be accompanied by a nutrient dense diet & enough calories is what I’m thinking

Jennifer

I take about 4 of the designs for health magnesium. Which is 600mg daily! Also attached youll see my micornutrient blood test. One column is serum level which is blood. The other is WBC which is on the cellular level. You can see sodium and magnesium levels there. Which to me the magnesium seems fine? Or might need to be higher?

Your magnesium seems fine, but you could always try more, however, I’m now wondering if the twitching could be related to not getting enough thyroid and hypoglycemia. Do you have a history of hypoglycemia? I ask because when I first started having adrenaline attacks, I would experience muscle twitching, which eventually led to daily convulsions and passing out for 6 months straight and during an attack, I would chug down sugar and salt water because my blood sugar had dropped too low, which of course was related to poor thyroid function—with my first dose of thyroid, the adrenaline attacks stopped. Your sodium is a little low, but that isn’t too surprising to me since I have (non-treated) hypo family members whose sodium is always low, though, their potassium is usually elevated. Whenever my mum started experiencing adrenaline attacks, I knew she needed to up her dose of thyroid but in acute situations, I had her take sugar and salt water with a 325 mg aspirin to stop an attack. Or…have you tried taking a small amount of natural progesterone like Progest-E? That may help calm the twitching as it helps retain electrolytes like sodium, if I’m not mistaken, but should also help with your thyroid function and blood sugar, as well.

Beg to differ. When the adrenals are stressed your thyroid is down as well. Supplementing thyroid will help aid in recovery, sleep, energy. Just needs to be accompanied by a nutrient dense diet & enough calories is what I’m thinking

This. From my understanding, we have two main power sources in our body—the thyroid and adrenals—and when the thyroid isn’t functioning optimally, the adrenals are forced to compensate.

OP
M

mgrabs

Your magnesium seems fine, but you could always try more, however, I’m now wondering if the twitching could be related to not getting enough thyroid and hypoglycemia. Do you have a history of hypoglycemia? I ask because when I first started having adrenaline attacks, I would experience muscle twitching, which eventually led to daily convulsions and passing out for 6 months straight and during an attack, I would chug down sugar and salt water because my blood sugar had dropped too low, which of course was related to poor thyroid function—with my first dose of thyroid, the adrenaline attacks stopped. Your sodium is a little low, but that isn’t too surprising to me since I have (non-treated) hypo family members whose sodium is always low, though, their potassium is usually elevated. Whenever my mum started experiencing adrenaline attacks, I knew she needed to up her dose of thyroid but in acute situations, I had her take sugar and salt water with a 325 mg aspirin to stop an attack. Or…have you tried taking a small amount of natural progesterone like Progest-E? That may help calm the twitching as it helps retain electrolytes like sodium, if I’m not mistaken, but should also help with your thyroid function and blood sugar, as well.

This. From my understanding, we have two main power sources in our body—the thyroid and adrenals—and when the thyroid isn’t functioning optimally, the adrenals are forced to compensate.
Interesting. I do not have glucose numbers that are worth looking into. Everything on that end is fine. Just really cortisol and thyroid hormone. I just dont understand why twitching can occur. I don’t necessarily have tremors its more twitches that persist.

Im very lean and workout a fair amount. Im really wondering if this hormone is interfering with all of this. Because won’t my sodium levels correct itself treating my hypothyroidism?

By me taking so much magnesium daily is that driving down my sodium or any other mineral numbers?

I take preg & DHEA every morning alongside my thyroid

I also take 10,000 vitamin D 3K coq10 magnesium & a multi

How long at either a grain or grain & a half does it take for the body to balance out and improve? I know t3 is fast acting but is it maybe still too soon for the true benefits of thyroid?

TheSir

Agree with this.

If you can pull that off, your adrenals (HPA axis) were not particularly broken to begin with. For mere stage 1-2 adrenal fatigue thyroid can help.

OP
M

mgrabs

Agree with this.

If you can pull that off, your adrenals (HPA axis) were not particularly broken to begin with. For mere stage 1-2 adrenal fatigue thyroid can help.
Sorry little confused. What exactly are you implying here?

TheSir

Sorry little confused. What exactly are you implying here?
Sorry, I'm trying to say that supplementing thyroid in a sufficiently severe degree of adrenal exhaustion will not help with sleep, recovery or energy, but will instead only stress your body further and make all of these worse. In such case the thyroid has been deliberately downregulated as a safety mechanism. Since you are able to workout however, admittedly this is not particularly relevant to you.

OP
M

mgrabs

Sorry, I'm trying to say that supplementing thyroid in a sufficiently severe degree of adrenal exhaustion will not help with sleep, recovery or energy, but will instead only stress your body further and make all of these worse. In such case the thyroid has been deliberately downregulated as a safety mechanism. Since you are able to workout however, admittedly this is not particularly relevant to you.
Gotcha. Yes it is strange! I work construction so i can in fact function, play ice hockey & workout etc.. which is why i believe thyroid has always been part of my routine. But recently i took a break for a year and trying to come back to it is very new for my system for some strange reason!

Jennifer

Interesting. I do not have glucose numbers that are worth looking into. Everything on that end is fine. Just really cortisol and thyroid hormone. I just dont understand why twitching can occur. I don’t necessarily have tremors its more twitches that persist.

Im very lean and workout a fair amount. Im really wondering if this hormone is interfering with all of this. Because won’t my sodium levels correct itself treating my hypothyroidism?

By me taking so much magnesium daily is that driving down my sodium or any other mineral numbers?

I take preg & DHEA every morning alongside my thyroid

I also take 10,000 vitamin D 3K coq10 magnesium & a multi

How long at either a grain or grain & a half does it take for the body to balance out and improve? I know t3 is fast acting but is it maybe still too soon for the true benefits of thyroid?

Yes, I would think your sodium levels would improve as your thyroid improves. Maybe take a break from hockey and working out for a couple of weeks as your body adjusts to thyroid, since you also have a physically demanding job? T4’s half-life in the body is two weeks and its effect is cumulative so perhaps it will take up to two weeks for the twitching to resolve? When adjusting my dose, I always titrate it every two weeks until my temp, pulse, speed of elimination, mood, skin hydration etc. are ideal.

Sorry, I'm trying to say that supplementing thyroid in a sufficiently severe degree of adrenal exhaustion will not help with sleep, recovery or energy

It did for me. Ray said a cholesterol level below 145 (?) points to adrenal failure. Mine was 115. It took a couple of weeks before I no longer needed to nap most of the day, though.

TheSir

It did for me. Ray said a cholesterol level below 145 (?) points to adrenal failure. Mine was 115. It took a couple of weeks before I no longer needed to nap most of the day, though.
Were you unable to exercise even lightly without consequences? Were you suffering from a long list of bizarre symptoms? Unable to relax? Constantly sick? Breaking down muscle tissue? The reason I'm asking is that in actual adrenaline failure the body will be in an extremely deranged state. Having to sleep a lot is typical for early stage adrenaline fatigue. At this point your body still has enough alkaline reserves to keep you safely in a sluggish state of metabolism, instead of allowing it to fall into a sub-metabolic state where it lacks both the gas and the brake pedals at the same time. Hence in later stages of adrenaline failure you will also lose the ability to sleep well because your nervous system can't calm down enough. Here is where thyroid stops offering any benefit and will become directly harmful.

OP
M

mgrabs

Yes, I would think your sodium levels would improve as your thyroid improves. Maybe take a break from hockey and working out for a couple of weeks as your body adjusts to thyroid, since you also have a physically demanding job? T4’s half-life in the body is two weeks and its effect is cumulative so perhaps it will take up to two weeks for the twitching to resolve? When adjusting my dose, I always titrate it every two weeks until my temp, pulse, speed of elimination, mood, skin hydration etc. are ideal.

Were you unable to exercise even lightly without consequences? Were you suffering from a long list of bizarre symptoms? Unable to relax? Constantly sick? Breaking down muscle tissue? The reason I'm asking is that in actual adrenaline failure the body will be in an extremely deranged state. Having to sleep a lot is typical for early stage adrenaline fatigue. At this point your body still has enough alkaline reserves to keep you safely in a sluggish state of metabolism, instead of allowing it to fall into a sub-metabolic state where it lacks both the gas and the brake pedals at the same time. Hence in later stages of adrenaline failure you will also lose the ability to sleep well because your nervous system can't calm down enough. Here is where thyroid stops offering any benefit and will become directly harmful.
In the beginning yes, morse so unable to relax, felt stimulated not tired. Preg, dhea & thyroid helped bring that balance back. Still somewhat have sleep issues but it seems like its getting better on a better dose of thyroid is that makes sense? How does adrenaline failure get better? Or how does this one fix that issue?

Jennifer

Yes, I experienced both extremes. The latter was right after my spine collapsed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals