Stress & Low Thyroid - Which To Treat First?

mgrabs

(27 yr old male)
Testosterone:750
Tsh 4.8
T4 1.1
T3 3.3
Estradiol 18
DHEA:121 reference 74-615
Pregnenolone: 49 reference 22-237
Pregesterone: <0.5 reference <1.4

This year has been so stressful. A lot of the same treatments seem to rebound on me ever since quitting Thyroid Hormone, Dhea & pregnenolone. I Should’ve just dosed back when i was accidentally taking too much NP thyroid from my doctor.

Instead i figured go the natural route. The natural route has not worked great the past 12 months through diet, more calories, less over training. Nothing helps. Just feel so blah.

When i was optimal my thyroid medication prescribed was t4/t3 38/9 levo+liothyronine.. DHEA 50mg+ Pregnenolone 100mg. Every morning I swallowed my thyroid hormone with dhea & preg. Life was good! I felt like stress never existed? Liie ever? Never even knew what anxiety was? ………..Until i switched to NP and started to rebound with too high of a dose. I never felt good since that time because i foolishly didn’t trust my doc and thought I didn’t need thyroid medication so i stopped it all last march. I have a healthy thyroid & (I have no antibodies) this was prescribed to me by my functional doctor to be “optimal”

Fast forward to now i wanted to be back to how i was because my mood, life, body, & hair was thriving so i wanted to try it all again….

Now I cant even handle pregnenolone AND thyroid. Tried even 15 mg of NP thyroid. Everything sparks an adrenaline surge everytime so it makes me quit. My mind gets so racey & anxious, life feels like im going fast and everyones slow if that makes sense. Havent been able to sleep because my cortisol is SO high from all of this. 24 Urine test showed double the reference range of high cortisol. Why am i so sensitive now?

My question is how can i get back on thyroid?

Do the adrenals and cortisol have to be adressed first?
Do i introduce pregnenolone dhea first at low doses?

Its so horrible because i had great hair for so long & because of this im losing hair & pigment color is getting dry and gray looking. I had such a better outlook and attitude towards life when i was on those hormones.

Vileplume

Have you tried T3 only? You might be converting the T4 into reverse T3, blocking your gland's natural production or conversion of thyroid hormone. You could try something like idealabs' tyronene to see if you respond better to T3 on its own.

Mr Joe

You've been using thyroid for long time enough to turn off your own thyroid production, when you stopped maybe thyroid didn't have time to "start back" with a better level where it was before the treatment, so adrenalin and cortisol might have been to the roof, especially if you stopped everything directly. Have you considered opposing cortisol with Emodin or Glycine or anything that turn off cortisol. Have you checked your prolactin and what is your morning pulse ?

OP
M

mgrabs

Have you tried T3 only? You might be converting the T4 into reverse T3, blocking your gland's natural production or conversion of thyroid hormone. You could try something like idealabs' tyronene to see if you respond better to T3 on its own.
I was actually thinking the opposite because i convert very well reverse t3: 8 .references if 9-20. I thought maybe im a t4 only candidate that my body cant handle t3?

OP
M

mgrabs

You've been using thyroid for long time enough to turn off your own thyroid production, when you stopped maybe thyroid didn't have time to "start back" with a better level where it was before the treatment, so adrenalin and cortisol might have been to the roof, especially if you stopped everything directly. Have you considered opposing cortisol with Emodin or Glycine or anything that turn off cortisol. Have you checked your prolactin and what is your morning pulse ?
Thanks for the response. & no i have no tried any of that. I even get a negative response supplementing magnesium glycinate before bed! Like red hot temperatures. In the morning I’m waking up exhausted. Night time im wired.

Mr Joe

Maybe the problem could come from the DHEA as well. Any reason you're taking 50 mg ? Seems like a big dose that could create bad reaction and cortisol increase (to verify). Ray advise 5 mg daily to oppose cortisol. I suggest you to read also about cyproheptadine, it works magic for reducing adrenaline and opposing cortisol and serotonine. Combined with thyroid should be great.

redsun

(27 yr old male)
Tsh 4.8
T4 1.1
T3 3.3
Estradiol 18

This year has been so stressful. A lot of the same treatments seem to rebound on me ever since quitting Thyroid Hormone, Dhea & pregnenolone. I Should’ve just dosed back when i was accidentally taking too much NP thyroid from my doctor.

Instead i figured go the natural route. The natural route has not worked great the past 12 months through diet, more calories, less over training. Nothing helps. Just feel so blah.

When i was optimal my thyroid medication prescribed was t4/t3 38/9 levo+liothyronine.. DHEA 50mg+ Pregnenolone 100mg. Every morning I swallowed my thyroid hormone with dhea & preg. Life was good! I felt like stress never existed? Liie ever? Never even knew what anxiety was? ………..Until i switched to NP and started to rebound with too high of a dose. I never felt good since that time because i foolishly didn’t trust my doc and thought I didn’t need thyroid medication so i stopped it all last march. I have a healthy thyroid & (I have no antibodies) this was prescribed to me by my functional doctor to be “optimal”

Fast forward to now i wanted to be back to how i was because my mood, life, body, & hair was thriving so i wanted to try it all again….

Now I cant even handle pregnenolone AND thyroid. Tried even 15 mg of NP thyroid. Everything sparks an adrenaline surge everytime so it makes me quit. My mind gets so racey & anxious, life feels like im going fast and everyones slow if that makes sense. Havent been able to sleep because my cortisol is SO high from all of this. 24 Urine test showed double the reference range of high cortisol. Why am i so sensitive now?

Its so horrible because i had great hair for so long & because of this im losing hair & pigment color is getting dry and gray looking. I had such a better outlook and attitude towards life when i was on those hormones.
Thyroid supplementation forces metabolism to burn through everything you have, basically makes you a fast oxidizer. Based on your last hair tests (also mega dose iodine itself can also contribute to this), this is what is suggested. Fast oxidizers are said to high cortisol, and are prone to adrenaline reactions (aka stress reactions) and overstimulation (anxiety, sleep disorders).

I don't know all the nuance to this hair testing science, but I do know the typical regime recommended for fast oxidizers. That's copper, calcium, vitamin D. This reduces stress reactions and overtime should contribute to reduced cortisol levels and reduced anxiety. Zinc is also often recommended as well and may also help. 1-2mg of copper, 1000 mg of calcium, vitamin D (1000IU a day), 10-15 mg of zinc. Copper may also improve greying.

Zinc itself has also been shown in research to acutely inhibit cortisol secretion and also improves sleep. If you never tried zinc for sleep, it not only will help you overall but works better then magnesium for sleep in my opinion. I used it myself sometimes and it works very well. Zinc gluconate is a good form. I think this is a virtually risk-free supplement regime you can follow that's worth trying to see if you see improvements in anxiety, sleep, and overall function.

Some will scoff at this and think its all BS. But changes in oxidation rate and depletion of minerals is a better explanation of why you suddenly react very differently to things you used to take before with no problem than other explanations I have come across.

OP
M

mgrabs

Thyroid supplementation forces metabolism to burn through everything you have, basically makes you a fast oxidizer. Based on your last hair tests (also mega dose iodine itself can also contribute to this), this is what is suggested. Fast oxidizers are said to high cortisol, and are prone to adrenaline reactions (aka stress reactions) and overstimulation (anxiety, sleep disorders).

I don't know all the nuance to this hair testing science, but I do know the typical regime recommended for fast oxidizers. That's copper, calcium, vitamin D. This reduces stress reactions and overtime should contribute to reduced cortisol levels and reduced anxiety. Zinc is also often recommended as well and may also help. 1-2mg of copper, 1000 mg of calcium, vitamin D (1000IU a day), 10-15 mg of zinc. Copper may also improve greying.

Zinc itself has also been shown in research to acutely inhibit cortisol secretion and also improves sleep. If you never tried zinc for sleep, it not only will help you overall but works better then magnesium for sleep in my opinion. I used it myself sometimes and it works very well. Zinc gluconate is a good form. I think this is a virtually risk-free supplement regime you can follow that's worth trying to see if you see improvements in anxiety, sleep, and overall function.

Some will scoff at this and think its all BS. But changes in oxidation rate and depletion of minerals is a better explanation of why you suddenly react very differently to things you used to take before with no problem than other explanations I have come across.
Thank you Redsun, I always take time to read through your comments. This makes a lot of sense because i used to take 10mg of zinc before bed & i would absolutely knock out. Im trying to fix my circadian rhythm right now to correct this cortisol feeling & its trying to balance out. Trying to get movement in early morning & throughout the day to also get me tired & balance my rhythm out.

As of 2 days ago I’m taking a formula from Biotics Research called ADHS.(because im not sure if i should take DHEA & or pregnenolone)
To correct this horrible high cortisol?

-Attached it shows the profile.
- Zinc & copper being the ones you mentioned seem to be in there. & some funky ayurvetic herbs in there.
I started taking this in the morning & afternoon (afternoon made me tired not sure if i should do a big morning dose or do 2 dosings?(morning & after lunch) or maybe it should just be a bedtime supplement since it makes me so blah.

Or cut this out completley & bring in DHEA/Preg.
& supplement zinc copper before bed.
ADHS seems to have helped the “anxiety feeling”. But sometimes feels too numb which i dont like. I don’t want to just bandaid this situation if my hormones are low like thyroid, dhea, preg, progesterone.
What do you think of this?

My Routine Thus Far:
Morning Dose is 5,000-10,000 iu of vitamin d3k (liposomal)
Combined with a glass of water with:
1 scoop of vitamin c mineral powder (attached photo)
2 capsules ADHS tablet (attached photo)
1 hydrogen tab that has 80 mg magnesium.

I do have 5mg of DHEA from designs for health. & i also have 30mg Pregnenolone CRT slow release (made from soy) from designs for health. Sitting in my cabinet. Do you think i should add those two in? & remove the ADHS? Or keep all & just stick with the low dose DHEA (which is not slow release) plus pregnenolone. Also attached is a 5mg liposomal dhea that quicksilver makes, i can order that possibly if its better ingredients wise

I’m really looking to get my levels back up & feel normal again because clean eating and mediation isn’t moving the needle. I do know this is stressing me out major which im assuming why dhea and preg are so low. Hair is suffering which is an insecure driver for me. Literally don’t have male pattern baldness in the fam or anywhere. This is a hormone issue because my hair was flowy as ever! When being optimal (100mg preg, 50mg dhea) all immediate release & also the 38/9 thyroid medication was how life was prior to this major hiccup

Attachments

• FDFD9053-853F-4856-A4A3-D6422A7FC29D.png
    FDFD9053-853F-4856-A4A3-D6422A7FC29D.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 27
  • BB5623E3-A191-45B1-9921-09E98189191A.jpeg
    BB5623E3-A191-45B1-9921-09E98189191A.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 15075095-4077-4264-9818-BA864BA0F35E.jpeg
    15075095-4077-4264-9818-BA864BA0F35E.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 3E4CC3F5-8270-4432-A1EC-E7C43E4276FA.jpeg
    3E4CC3F5-8270-4432-A1EC-E7C43E4276FA.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 3ACCC55D-1B91-4F7E-AF88-D0BE6A6B1BDE.jpeg
    3ACCC55D-1B91-4F7E-AF88-D0BE6A6B1BDE.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
OP
M

mgrabs

Maybe the problem could come from the DHEA as well. Any reason you're taking 50 mg ? Seems like a big dose that could create bad reaction and cortisol increase (to verify). Ray advise 5 mg daily to oppose cortisol. I suggest you to read also about cyproheptadine, it works magic for reducing adrenaline and opposing cortisol and serotonine. Combined with thyroid should be great.
Thanks for the reply..Should pregnenolone be used with it as well?

redsun

Thank you Redsun, I always take time to read through your comments. This makes a lot of sense because i used to take 10mg of zinc before bed & i would absolutely knock out. Im trying to fix my circadian rhythm right now to correct this cortisol feeling & its trying to balance out. Trying to get movement in early morning & throughout the day to also get me tired & balance my rhythm out.

As of 2 days ago I’m taking a formula from Biotics Research called ADHS.(because im not sure if i should take DHEA & or pregnenolone)
To correct this horrible high cortisol?

-Attached it shows the profile.
- Zinc & copper being the ones you mentioned seem to be in there. & some funky ayurvetic herbs in there.
I started taking this in the morning & afternoon (afternoon made me tired not sure if i should do a big morning dose or do 2 dosings?(morning & after lunch) or maybe it should just be a bedtime supplement since it makes me so blah.

Or cut this out completley & bring in DHEA/Preg.
& supplement zinc copper before bed.
ADHS seems to have helped the “anxiety feeling”. But sometimes feels too numb which i dont like. I don’t want to just bandaid this situation if my hormones are low like thyroid, dhea, preg, progesterone.
What do you think of this?

My Routine Thus Far:
Morning Dose is 5,000-10,000 iu of vitamin d3k (liposomal)
Combined with a glass of water with:
1 scoop of vitamin c mineral powder (attached photo)
2 capsules ADHS tablet (attached photo)
1 hydrogen tab that has 80 mg magnesium.

I do have 5mg of DHEA from designs for health. & i also have 30mg Pregnenolone CRT slow release (made from soy) from designs for health. Sitting in my cabinet. Do you think i should add those two in? & remove the ADHS? Or keep all & just stick with the low dose DHEA (which is not slow release) plus pregnenolone. Also attached is a 5mg liposomal dhea that quicksilver makes, i can order that possibly if its better ingredients wise

I’m really looking to get my levels back up & feel normal again because clean eating and mediation isn’t moving the needle. I do know this is stressing me out major which im assuming why dhea and preg are so low. Hair is suffering which is an insecure driver for me. Literally don’t have male pattern baldness in the fam or anywhere. This is a hormone issue because my hair was flowy as ever! When being optimal (100mg preg, 50mg dhea) all immediate release & also the 38/9 thyroid medication was how life was prior to this major hiccup
High dose vitamin C is problematic for fast oxidizers (so are too many B-vitamins, they will make anxiety worse especially) so I would advise against taking that supplement that has a ton of it.

The supplement with zinc and copper has too little of both to be significant enough. Copper should be taken seperately in the morning 1-2mg. Zinc can be taken at night at 10-15mg. Calcium supplement I would also recommend as well unless you are eating a lot of dairy for calcium. Vitamin E does need to be taken but really this all needs to be seperated to make you obtain the right amounts of things you actually need instead of too much or too little. Vitamin E oils can be used to obtain normal amounts of vitamin E such as haidut's tocovit (one drop is enough). E is also bad for fast oxidizers in high doses (of course you still need it), so you should not take more 15 mg or 22 IU a day. Really no one should.

M

MadnessofMemory

Thanks for the reply..Should pregnenolone be used with it as well?

You don’t need to supplement pregnenolone. You probably don’t need to supplement DHEA either, once you get out of the stressed state.

This sounds mostly like hypothyroidism after discontinuing exogenous thyroid supplementation. NDT has a long half life. If you supplemented thyroid for a good length of time, it will take a while to recover your natural function.

One thing you can try for the high cortisol is to add 2 cups of a fruit juice you can tolerate at breakfast, lunch, and dinner to your regular diet. It sounds simplistic, but drinking sugary beverages three times a day like this has been shown to blunt the cortisol response to stress quite a bit.

OP
M

mgrabs

High dose vitamin C is problematic for fast oxidizers (so are too many B-vitamins, they will make anxiety worse especially) so I would advise against taking that supplement that has a ton of it.

The supplement with zinc and copper has too little of both to be significant enough. Copper should be taken seperately in the morning 1-2mg. Zinc can be taken at night at 10-15mg. Calcium supplement I would also recommend as well unless you are eating a lot of dairy for calcium. Vitamin E does need to be taken but really this all needs to be seperated to make you obtain the right amounts of things you actually need instead of too much or too little. Vitamin E oils can be used to obtain normal amounts of vitamin E such as haidut's tocovit (one drop is enough). E is also bad for fast oxidizers in high doses (of course you still need it), so you should not take more 15 mg or 22 IU a day. Really no one should.
Gotcha. Seems like sticking with the basics.

Can all this be caused by my thyroid & low dhea?

Would going directly to biodentical hormones help this situatio by at least thyroid controlling my
Metabolism and helping reduce anxiety stress?

Its so tiring not being able to live the way i did prior to all of this.

Gotcha. Seems like sticking with the basics.

Can all this be caused by my thyroid & low dhea?

Would going directly to biodentical hormones help this situatio by at least thyroid controlling my Metabolism and helping reduce anxiety stress? Maybe would do better on synthetic t3&t4 combo instead of the pig thyroid that was sending me haywire

Its so tiring not being able to live the way i did prior to all of this.

I wonder how a functional doctor would look at all this and start his treatment

Last edited:

wzuo

I'm the same age as you and have the similar problems. For last year I had periods where I could take T3 and/or NDT in doses like 130mg daily but few times something has changed and I was unable to take any thyroid supplements, nor coffee etc. I have just got extremely anxiety, super weak muscles and muscles/stomach pain, racing heart. I have identified it as a poor intake of simple carbohydrates like fructose and glucose. Now when I'm not strictly following the diet and intake of carbohydrates I got these symptoms again very quickly. But it's still very hard for me to supply 1500kcal daily with simple carbohydrates as it would require huge amounts of fruits.
Still I'm struggling to raise body temp over 98F through day, waking one is usually 98F or slightly higher.

OP
M

mgrabs

Would it be bad to introduce thyroid again to lower TSH? Im not looking for weight loss I’m actually hoping this control my metabolism and slows down the need for me to burn through everything i eat (which i think malabsorption is big in a hypothyroid state) correct me if im wrong

In order to get out of this hypothyroid state & help lower cortisol.. will pregnenolone dhea help lower adrenaline and control cortisol?

Last edited:

wzuo

Is there a way to check if copper/zinc levels are ok, like blood testing? Or maybe they doesn't make sense at all.
What's the desired amount of Calcium you suggest to provide either via supplements or diet?

kimbriel

(27 yr old male)
Tsh 4.8
T4 1.1
T3 3.3
Estradiol 18

Can you post the ranges too, for the labs you took? 3.3 sounds great to me haha as a person with Hashimoto's. My natural T3 level is only ever 2.9.

I agree you might benefit from some T3, but keep in mind there are lots of patient reports that say once they went on it, their body did down-regulate how much T3 they produced naturally.

OP
M

mgrabs

Can you post the ranges too, for the labs you took? 3.3 sounds great to me haha as a person with Hashimoto's. My natural T3 level is only ever 2.9.

I agree you might benefit from some T3, but keep in mind there are lots of patient reports that say once they went on it, their body did down-regulate how much T3 they produced naturally.
Are there any downsides of being on T4 only? Does it down regulate the thyroid? I thought it was always best to give yourself both T4 T3 but I’m not sure? Id rather do T4 only if its makes the most sense

kimbriel

Are there any downsides of being on T4 only? Does it down regulate the thyroid? I thought it was always best to give yourself both T4 T3 but I’m not sure? Id rather do T4 only if its makes the most sense
T4 only doesn't work for most people. As a man, you have a higher likelihood of it working, because your liver is more likely to be able to convert it to T3 than a woman's is. But I am not, overall, impressed with T4. You also don't want to burden your liver.

(27 yr old male)
Tsh 4.8
T4 1.1
T3 3.3
Estradiol 18

Treat the stress first.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals