Moderately Low Cortisol And DHEA, Secondary Hypothyroidism

MightyFall

So I'm convinced that I have adrenal fatigue or dysfunction. Whether it be down to signalling issues, inadequate nutrients or poor lifestyle - I've got it and I FEEL it. Fatigue, exhaustion, blood sugar swings, rapid weight gain (mostly fat), deep cavities and sensitivity in my teeth, debilitating brain fog and cognitive issues, terrible libido - these all are textbook adrenal fatigue symptoms.

Saliva cortisol tests confirm high, normal cortisol in the mornings but other three samples are far too low. DHEA also drops too low in the PM. Thyroid results indicate possible low T4 but still within optimal range.

Any suggestions on how to increase cortisol and DHEA? I've exhausted every other path, from dietary changes (including Peat) to bioidentical hormone replacement in the form of DHEA and pregnenolone. Cortisol replacement is probably my last resort, in the form of either hydrocortisone or adrenal cortex extract. The latter has recently induced adverse symptoms at high doses, but no significant effect on lower doses. Or perhaps ACE is not strong enough for me.

I need to get out of my debilitating state as soon as possible.

Bodhi

Stick with RP inspired diet.

Check saliva Cortisol, Cholesterol, Estrogen,Testosterone, DHEA Prolactin, TSH , Anti TPO, Anti Tg, and RT3....

If the RT3 is high , you can start with T3 only therapy for 6 months

Since T3 has a short half life, it should be taken frequently. If the liver isn't producing a noticeable amount of T3, it is usually helpful to take a few micorgrams per hour. Since it restores respiration and metabolic efficiency very quickly, it isn't usually necessary to take it every hour or two, but until normal temperature and pulse have been achieved and stabilized, sometimes it's necessary to take it four or more times during the day. T4 acts by being changed to T3, so it tends to accumulate in the body, and on a given dose, usually reaches a steady concentration after about two weeks.

An effective way to use supplements is to take a combination T4-T3 dose, e.g., 40 mcg of T4 and 10 mcg of T3 once a day, and to use a few mcg of T3 at other times in the day. Keeping a 14-day chart of pulse rate and temperature allows you to see whether the dose is producing the desired response. If the figures aren't increasing at all after a few days, the dose can be increased, until a gradual daily increment can be seen, moving toward the goal at the rate of about 1/14 per day "Ray Peat"

Circadian T3 Method (CT3M or T3CM) for Adrenals-a great way to treat your low cortisol! - Stop The Thyroid Madness

The STTM protocol seems a bit strict, what i prefer is to combine Peats views with this one ... so just start with let's say 6 mcgs afte T3 after waking and dose every 2 to 3 hours see how ya go by tracking pulse and temps....

Wisdom in treatment of adrenal issues - Stop The Thyroid Madness

Peater Pan

…moving toward the goal at the rate of about 1/14 per day

I never quite understood what this means. Can you explain? Increasing total dosage by 1/14 daily until targets achieved? For example, if one's on 2 grains (~80 mcg T4, ~20 mcg T3), one would add 80/14=5.7 T4 and 20/14=1.4 T3 each day?