Peaty supplements to lower stress hormones?

Peater503

I have only tested cortisol at 8am in my last blood test, which was on the upper range of the reference range. I want to lower it because I suspect it to be the main culprit behind my naturally low appetite and inability to hold on to any body fat, making it literally impossible to gain weight and muscle gain only at an incredibly slow rate.

The thing is, I don't understand the root cause of this elevated value, because, one, I am not in a chronic stress period in my life currently, and two, my lifestyle is more or less in check (regular exercise, peaty diet, regular sleep, etc.). So, the root cause must be some kind of internal problem with me, then. Blood tests showed my thyroid could be functioning a bit better, so I will be taking some thyroid for that soon. I am also taking 1mg of cyproheptadine before bed as I was told it can reduce stress hormones. Also, just read through RP's email exchanges again and saw Aspirin and Niacinamide mentioned there, so might try that too.

But besides thyroid/cyproheptadine/aspirin/niacinamide, what other proven & peaty supplements are there to get these stubborn hormones as low as possible?

sugarisgreat

I have only tested cortisol at 8am in my last blood test, which was on the upper range of the reference range. I want to lower it because I suspect it to be the main culprit behind my naturally low appetite and inability to hold on to any body fat, making it literally impossible to gain weight and muscle gain only at an incredibly slow rate.

The thing is, I don't understand the root cause of this elevated value, because, one, I am not in a chronic stress period in my life currently, and two, my lifestyle is more or less in check (regular exercise, peaty diet, regular sleep, etc.). So, the root cause must be some kind of internal problem with me, then. Blood tests showed my thyroid could be functioning a bit better, so I will be taking some thyroid for that soon. I am also taking 1mg of cyproheptadine before bed as I was told it can reduce stress hormones. Also, just read through RP's email exchanges again and saw Aspirin and Niacinamide mentioned there, so might try that too.

But besides thyroid/cyproheptadine/aspirin/niacinamide, .what other proven & peaty supplements are there to get these stubborn hormones as low as possible?
Salt! And Gelatin. (search the forum for salt and also Co2)
Co2= B1, bag breathing (or breathing through nose) and Acetazolamide.

mostlylurking

But besides thyroid/cyproheptadine/aspirin/niacinamide, what other proven & peaty supplements are there to get these stubborn hormones as low as possible?
Stress hormones = adrenaline and cortisol. In addition to possible hypothyroidism, liver function is really important. If your liver isn't working very well it won't be able to store enough sugar to get you through the night. If you run out of stored sugar, adrenaline spikes followed by cortisol.

Thiamine (B1) is very helpful in multiple ways. Also magnesium. A thiamine deficiency blocks the ability of the body to burn sugar (glucose) for energy (ATP). When the cells are starved for glucose, whether from low blood sugar or something blocking the burning of glucose in the mitochondria (thiamine deficiency or hypothyroidism) stress hormones rise.

suggested reading:

youngsinatra

Sauna, sun bathing, hot baths, massage, proper sleep, eating a solid breakfast, chamomile or black tea, walking, laughing.

Morten

Forum Supporter
Gelatin = glycine in bone broth?

sugarisgreat

Gelatin = glycine in bone broth?
I just buy plain gelatin it in packets from the store. I mix it with koolaid due to the taste. It is my main source of protein.

I like the above recommendations by Youngsinatra too.

I forgot to mention that I eat a high carb diet (Mcdougall type)/low fat, use mitolipin, B vitamins and pyrucet.
A low fat diet has been key for me.
I also use a supplement called EZorb calcium that relieves muscle tension. It is used for Fibromyalgia and apparently is 95% absorbed. Peat writes about the importance of Calcium and I find it relaxing.

Morten

Forum Supporter
I just buy plain gelatin it in packets from the store. I mix it with koolaid due to the taste. It is my main source of protein.

I like the above recommendations by Youngsinatra too.

I forgot to mention that I eat a high carb diet (Mcdougall type)/low fat, use mitolipin, B vitamins and pyrucet.
A low fat diet has been key for me.
I also use a supplement called EZorb calcium that relieves muscle tension. It is used for Fibromyalgia and apparently is 95% absorbed. Peat writes about the importance of Calcium and I find it relaxing.
What is mitolipin doing for you especially?

sugarisgreat

What is mitolipin doing for you especially?
It has restored youthful libido. I also think it is getting rid of Pufa, because my metabolsim is better. I am 53 and I think I look as good as I did in High School. No joke.

marcar72

Pregnenolone is good to counter the cortisol. Perhaps some DHEA as well but be careful to not take more than needed when supplementing DHEA. I'd be careful with the pregnenolone as well as too much could cause insomnia. I'm not sure how except to say it's the storage form of pregnenolone that does this. Search for @haidut posts for pregnenolone for more info. God bless!! :):

Morten

Forum Supporter
It has restored youthful libido. I also think it is getting rid of Pufa, because my metabolsim is better. I am 53 and I think I look as good as I did in High School. No joke.
Great:) I´m 52 and will join you, and the youthful movement....

sugarisgreat

Great:) I´m 52 and will join you, and the youthful movement....
I have learned so much from this forum/Georgie.
Lowfat, sugar oxdidation, PUFA avoidance, B3 (and all B's), and stress reduction have really helped me.
One thing that has also contributed to a youthful appearance is I have not eaten like people around me my whole adult life.
Most of that was motivated by not wanting to gain weight, but in doing so, I was avoiding a lot of PUFA for the last 40 years.

Morten

Forum Supporter
Lowfat, sugar oxdidation, PUFA avoidance, B3 (and all B's), and stress reduction have really helped me.
One thing that has also contributed to a youthful appearance is I have not eaten like people around me my whole adult life.
Most of that was motivated by not wanting to gain weight, but in doing so, I was avoiding a lot of PUFA for the last 40 years.
Sounds great, and pretty much like my life;)

Spartan300

Your experience is encouraging although we differ in that I spent the last 3+ decades cooking with pufa and avoiding saturated fat.

How long did it take to see the effects of mitolipin and at what dose?

sugarisgreat

Your experience is encouraging although we differ in that I spent the last 3+ decades cooking with pufa and avoiding saturated fat.

How long did it take to see the effects of mitolipin and at what dose?
Immediately (maybe 2 weeks at full dose-40 drops).
I am also doing almost no Pufa and pro dopamine things I've learned here on the forum.
This stuff is also better than any face cream.

In the past I have mocked other women in my head for being emotional, romantic, sexual. I would say "love songs" are just worshiping another person.
I now have romantic feelings like a real woman. Scary, but also exciting.

OP
P

Peater503

Thank you for your comment.

What do you mean with Co2 = B1 ? Are you referring to this RP quote?

“Factors that lower the stress hormones, increase carbon dioxide, and help to lower the circulating free fatty acids, lactate, and ammonia, include vitamin B1 (to increase CO2 and reduce lactate), niacinamide (to reduce free fatty acids), sugar (to reduce cortisol, adrenaline, and free fatty acids), salt (to lower adrenaline), thyroid hormone (to increase CO2).”

Last edited:
OP
P

Peater503

Thiamine (B1) is very helpful in multiple ways. Also magnesium. A thiamine deficiency blocks the ability of the body to burn sugar (glucose) for energy (ATP). When the cells are starved for glucose, whether from low blood sugar or something blocking the burning of glucose in the mitochondria (thiamine deficiency or hypothyroidism) stress hormones rise.
I see. Yes, I forgot to mention in my OP that I'm also supplementing magnesium.

What would be the most common symptoms of a low-functioning liver or B1 deficiency? The only other out-of-the-ordinary symptoms I have right now, (besides the ones I mentioned in my OP), is that I sleep extremely long, like 10 hours on average if I don't have my alarm set. Would this be something indicative of either a poorly functioning liver or a B1 deficiency?

Besides this, my digestion is more-or-less decent I would say, only very rarely do I have diarrhea/constipation or any sort of abdominal discomfort. Unless it's possible to have overall decent digestion with a poorly functioning liver?

Last edited:
OP
P

Peater503

Pregnenolone is good to counter the cortisol. Perhaps some DHEA as well but be careful to not take more than needed when supplementing DHEA. I'd be careful with the pregnenolone as well as too much could cause insomnia. I'm not sure how except to say it's the storage form of pregnenolone that does this. Search for @haidut posts for pregnenolone for more info. God bless!! :):

Thank your for this and linking the article.

Small question: Are the main uses of pregnenolone/DHA to counter stress hormones? Or is that just one of their positive side effects as overall "youth-associated" hormones?

Because if it's just a positive side effect, I would assume it's not that potent for stress hormones specifically, right?

mostlylurking

Thank you for your comment.

What do you mean with Co2 = B1 ? Are you referring to this RP quote?

“Factors that lower the stress hormones, increase carbon dioxide, and help to lower the circulating free fatty acids, lactate, and ammonia, include vitamin B1 (to increase CO2 and reduce lactate), niacinamide (to reduce free fatty acids), sugar (to reduce cortisol, adrenaline, and free fatty acids), salt (to lower adrenaline), thyroid hormone (to increase CO2).”
Thiamine helps in many circumstances.

View: https://medium.com/eds-perspectives/why-does-high-dose-thiamine-relieve-fatigue-in-individuals-with-diverse-neurological-conditions-40a3502f6439

I see. Yes, I forgot to mention in my OP that I'm also supplementing magnesium.

What would be the most common symptoms of a low-functioning liver or B1 deficiency? The only other out-of-the-ordinary symptoms I have right now, (besides the ones I mentioned in my OP), is that I sleep extremely long, like 10 hours on average if I don't have my alarm set. Would this be something indicative of either a poorly functioning liver or a B1 deficiency?

Besides this, my digestion is more-or-less decent I would say, only very rarely do I have diarrhea/constipation or any sort of abdominal discomfort. Unless it's possible to have overall decent digestion with a poorly functioning liver?
Do you know how much oral magnesium you are able to tolerate? If this is a lowish dose, thiamine will improve your tolerance to magnesium.

Sleeping 10 hours sounds fabulous! Obviously, you body thinks you need the sleep.

Thiamine is needed by every cell in the body because it is required to make cellular energy (ATP) by the mitochondria.
Small question: Are the main uses of pregnenolone/DHA to counter stress hormones? Or is that just one of their positive side effects as overall "youth-associated" hormones?

Because if it's just a positive side effect, I would assume it's not that potent for stress hormones specifically, right?
I think pregnenolone is pretty potent to counteract stress hormones. Magnesium is too.

Because pregnenolone converts to the other antistress hormones in the body, including DHEA, there is no need to supplement DHEA too. Your body will make the right amount of it so there's no concern about overdosing DHEA.

Sitaruîm

Immediately (maybe 2 weeks at full dose-40 drops).
I am also doing almost no Pufa and pro dopamine things I've learned here on the forum.
This stuff is also better than any face cream.

In the past I have mocked other women in my head for being emotional, romantic, sexual. I would say "love songs" are just worshiping another person.
I now have romantic feelings like a real woman. Scary, but also exciting.
How do you take Mitolipin? Oral or topical?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals