Really frustated with hormonal lab test results done early in the morning in a fasted state!

tastyfood

Could someone help me find the best way to test prolactin in blood? For consistency, I have been testing it at 8am, in a fasted state. I've been doing this for years. The value will not budge below 14 ng/mL no matter what I do.

The one time I went to test non-fasted, the result was even worse (28 ng/mL). After getting the result, I read a study showing that a spike in prolactin is seen right after eating.

What would the ideal process to test pituitary hormones? Would it be best to have breakfast, a bowel movement and all, wait a few hours, and then go test before lunch time?

I understand a 12-hour fast will drive pituitary hormones up, but at the same time, pituitary hormones like LH, FSH, prolactin, are known to be lower during the rest of the day.

What do you think it is the true gauge of prolactin in the blood? Early morning fasted, early morning non-fasted, mid-day hours after breakfast...?

For those wondering, I've been very judicious about the day I go test prolactin early in the morning. For this last round of testing, it was a quiet week, no stress at work, good night sleep the night before and all that.

Thank you!

Jessie

It is true prolactin will be elevated right after a meal. If I had my way, I would get mine tested about 3-4 hours after breakfast. But considering that's not usually an option, I would probably bite the bullet and just test it fasted. Because getting it tested right after a meal certainly won't give you an accurate picture.

If you could get it tested several hours after breakfast, and you haven't had sex within that time period, then I would think that would be the ideal time to test it. But that's just my opinion. It also depends on the circadian rhythm of these hormones.

Pituitary hormones appear to spike mostly at night while you're asleep, hence the stress that can occur during sleep. So I would waiting until late evening would be bad, too.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

It is true prolactin will be elevated right after a meal. If I had my way, I would get mine tested about 3-4 hours after breakfast. But considering that's not usually an option, I would probably bite the bullet and just test it fasted. Because getting it tested right after a meal certainly won't give you an accurate picture.

If you could get it tested several hours after breakfast, and you haven't had sex within that time period, then I would think that would be the ideal time to test it. But that's just my opinion. It also depends on the circadian rhythm of these hormones.

Pituitary hormones appear to spike mostly at night while you're asleep, hence the stress that can occur during sleep. So I would waiting until late evening would be bad, too.

Thanks for this.

I order my own labs so I can go anytime I want without being questioned. I have access to phlebotomy services for free though my insurance, at a private clinic walking distance from where I live, so it's very convenient, and I could even try different things to compare.

Several hours after breakfast seems like the best thing to try as a next step.