Fellow Peaty, I need your help

Curt :-)

Hi guys, hope you're all well :):

So I've been Peating for a year and a bit now, and I've come so far, but in recent times I feel as though I'm slipping backwards.

Basically, my main focus is on improving my lacklustre libido and increasing motivation. I have tried most of the recommendations on this site/Peat's recommendations, except supplementing with hormones or anti-serotonin drugs.

- The carrot salad backed me up and it took a week off of it to start bathrooming normally again.
- Aspirin steadily INCREASED estrogen/serotonin symptoms in a dose-dependent manner. Very confused about this.
- I tried vitamin E but I don't think it was good quality as it had no effect...
- BCAA's didn't work but I was not using them with tyrosine as suggested.
- Avoiding fats and/or adding coconut oil didn't help.
- Zinc supps/oysters didn't help.
- As far as I can remember, all the usual suspects have been employed.
- Oh, and taurine and B6 DO help somewhat.

There's probably a bunch of stuff I can't remember trying that I haven't listed. My diet is pretty normal (for a Peaty lol); low fat milk, coke, rice, juice, coffee, smaller amounts of eggs, cheese, oysters, some meat, grass-fed butter (can't deal with liver but take vitamin A). My diet sometimes has PUFA as I'm out and about and can't get decent food, but I don't think it would be enough to affect me.

Do you guys think I need to supplement thyroid, progesterone or pregnenolone?

Thank you!

jyb

There are several things that could be tweaked or explored. I'll give you an idea taking myself as example.

- Aspirin seems potent. And I find it hard to make it potent in a good way, so I don't use it. I will only use it once I find a way to handle it. Part of the problem is need for supplementing K2 (this is really needed btw - aspirin depletes K2 directly). And in my case, I react badly to K2.

- BCAA without tyrosine? BCAA on its owns, I mean without tyrosine or some specific foods, can be really bad by depleting dopamine. That's like simulating depression!

- Low fat milk? Seems pretty low fat diet, unless you're having plenty of cream in your diet. On the diet you described, I would feel hungry and would not sleep well, it would kill my metabolism no doubt. I have no limits on organic milk/cream, which makes me feel nourished and relaxed. I have 2,000kcal just in cream daily, for a snack.

narouz

jyb said:
...I have no limits on organic milk/cream, which makes me feel nourished and relaxed. I have 2,000kcal just in cream daily, for a snack.

Well done, jyb, well done!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Maybe some vitamin E wouldn't hurt when you can't avoid the pufa. I'm having great success with pregnenolone but I'm middle-aged (I'm sorry I don't remember your age). I've just been fine tuning things as I go according to my changing needs. It's hard to say for sure since we are all a bit different, coming from various backgrounds etc. I think you and I had the high adrenaline past in common though. Most recently it's come to my attention that I still need to work on keeping adrenaline in check. I'm glad I'm in tune enough with my body these days to be able to hone in on the issue. I suppose if you're contemplating pregnenolone it can hurt to give it a try, it seems to help me with adrenaline issues. 100 mg is supposed to be a good starting dose to try IIRC.

aquaman

It's interesting you list what you've done, but don't focus at all on macro split, timing of foods etc.

Everyone focuses on the what, but not on the how.

Have you looked into food timings, body temp and pulse? And do you log them?

Are you eating early in the morning, and consistently small snacks and a couple of larger meals throughout the day?

answersfound

try to focus on increasing temperature(this is the most important thing IMO)....look into matt stones eat for heat, taking hot showers, wearing layers, keeping yourself warm (steve richfield low body temperature)...and even try cytomel to jump start things

eat intuitively and try and listen to your body

make sure u are not overdoing the liquids, and eat calorie dense meals.....and do the raw carrot 1-2 times a day

OP
C

Thanks for your responses!

I should have mentioned macro's;
- Protein (mostly from milk) 80 - 100g.
- Carbs, I'm not sure, but I think it's a lot. I have warm milk with a tablespoon or two of honey several times a day. Plus, rice/rice crackers, juice, coke, gummi's. I dont keep track, sorry.
- Fats are low. I will try adding cream/ice cream as jyb suggested.

I never go more than 2 hours without eating/drinking. Always eat upon rising and before bed. I also snack in between snacks lol.
It's hard to eat intuitively because I don't really feel like eating any foods in particular (but I do feel like salt and sugar, and don't like drinking much liquids).
It is still cold down here in Aus so I'm hoping better weather will help me somewhat.
I will look into raising temps.

Mittir

I think most likely source of problem is digestion and endotoxin.
Endotoxin lowers liver's ability to store glycogen and if Aspirin
increases your demand for energy, you may feel worse without
adequate energy supply.

I would be careful about the type of rice . I only can tolerate few varieties of
rice. Certain type of rice causes serious problem for me. You can look for
glutinous rice, those are safer. You did not mention what type of juice
you are drinking. I think OJ is problematic for many. Gelatin in gummy
can cause problem. I think it is very important to be extra careful whenever you
add new food and supplements. Do you remember when your condition started
to get worse and did you add any new food during that time?

OP
C

Actually, now that you mention it, I think it started when I started a new job and wasn't able to eat as regularly as I did. I tried to eat extra before and after work but I'm thinking maybe calories stopped somewhat. I started eating ice cream and have noticed it's good for sleep quality.

Dutchie

Basically, my main focus is on improving my lacklustre libido and increasing motivation.

What usually does that trick for me,is eating enough protein (I think 100grams is low,try eating more and see how you do. It's challenging though sometimes and to find out what's the ideal range.)
And....the chili chocolate from Vivani! Man,I could probably live off of it! (I think I'm gonna try making my own soon,with some cayennepepper). Also (lower fat) semi-hard goatcheese,can have this effect most of the time.

OP
C

I have been sipping casein throughout the day and the results have been good! No miracles, but the increase in protein intake seems to be partly what was needed.
I've also been eating ice cream lately. It's great for blood sugar regulation!

BingDing

Peatarian had a great post a couple years ago saying, basically, that hormones are not such a big deal, it helped me get over an attitude that they are powerful and scary. They are just signalling molecules that are secreted into the blood stream. Vitamin D is actually a hormone.

IMO, pregnenolone, Progest-E, and thyroid are perfectly safe to supplement if you start with low doses and see how you react. Trying them one at a time is preferred, of course. Their effects can change over time for some people, other people get it dialed in and it's very stable. All three trend towards a youthful, healthy metabolism and supplementing can make up for low endogenous production.

My two pesos.

OP
C

Thanks BingDing. Are these things available without prescription in Australia? Any particular order of importance I should try them in?

BingDing

I don't know what you can get in Australia, maybe some other forum members can say.

I started with pregnenolone right away, from RPs writings there are no problems with it. Using it with sugar is recommended, IIRC, I never had a problem because I was eating so much sugar already.

I can't think of any reason to try one before the others, in general.